• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Are circles natural for horses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are circles natural for horses?

The other day I was piddling around the ring talking to another rider/boarder. I forget exactly what we were talking about but she was talking about soundness and keeping horses sound. She went on to say how jumping and going in circles is not natural for horses. I agree that jumping 4' courses is by no mean natural for a horse, but the simple function of jumping certainly is. However, I was totally confused by her claim that going in circles is not natural for horses. Can someone explain this idea?

I am previously from a dressage background and the basic philosophy behind dressage is for the horse to be able to do everything under saddle that they can do at liberty. There are lots of circles in dressage, so I have always seen circles as natural, rather general movements for horses. You see horses go in circles without riders on the lunge line and in round pens after all. Hardly seems unnatural.

Originally posted by alternate_universe View Post

I am previously from a dressage background and the basic philosophy behind dressage is for the horse to be able to do everything under saddle that they can do at liberty.
    This whole idea sounds bizarre. Piaffes and passages aren't natural but they're a part of dressage. How is that any more natural than a circle?

Comment

Originally posted by Rel6 View Post
      This whole idea sounds bizarre. Piaffes and passages aren't natural but they're a part of dressage.
      Sure they are. Haven't you ever seen a horse turned out, showing off for the ladies in a new herd? My late OTTB could and would do both... just not under saddle...

Interesting question as to whether circles are natural. I've certainly noticed most horses GRAZE around the perimeter of a circle in a fenced pasture, but I guess one would need to observe them in the wild to know for sure.
      "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

Well... horses are evolved to do several things quite well: eat grass, cover lots of distance at slow speed, and travel very quickly in straight lines.

While they can go in circles, and often do, what they would do in nature is very different from the bending/circling demanded of them under saddle or on the lunge line, in whatever discipline.

But then, bearing weight on their backs or pulling it, or hopping over colored poles, or living in a stall half the day, none of that is natural for them either.
        "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
          Sure they are. Haven't you ever seen a horse turned out, showing off for the ladies in a new herd? My late OTTB could and would do both... just not under saddle...

Interesting question as to whether circles are natural. I've certainly noticed most horses GRAZE around the perimeter of a circle in a fenced pasture, but I guess one would need to observe them in the wild to know for sure.

Thanks for explaining. I've found many people outside of dressage do not realize that. Pretty much all upper level movements, with maybe the exception of some of the haute ecole movements (capriole, courbette, etc.) are totally doable by a horse on thier own. Stallions can be see at piaffe and passage when courting a mare. Horses playing around in the field will half pass and leg yield. Nothing unnatural there.

Comment

Originally posted by caffeinated View Post
            Well... horses are evolved to do several things quite well: eat grass, cover lots of distance at slow speed, and travel very quickly in straight lines.

While they can go in circles, and often do, what they would do in nature is very different from the bending/circling demanded of them under saddle or on the lunge line, in whatever discipline.

But then, bearing weight on their backs or pulling it, or hopping over colored poles, or living in a stall half the day, none of that is natural for them either.
            And this is why working horses have to be conditioned properly to do such things!! It isn't "natural" for them, though they are clearly capable, but the right muscles need to be slowly built up in order for a horse to circle, bend, collect, etc. safely and without injury.
            Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Comment

Thanks for explaining. I've found many people outside of dressage do not realize that. Pretty much all upper level movements, with maybe the exception of some of the haute ecole movements (capriole, courbette, etc.) are totally doable by a horse on thier own. Stallions can be see at piaffe and passage when courting a mare. Horses playing around in the field will half pass and leg yield. Nothing unnatural there.
              Story from an old guy who had been working a Lippazan or Andalusion, not his usual - "They really do that sh!t on their own!" I think it was under saddle, but certainly hadn't been taught to do it and it wasn't welcomed.
              Visit my Spoonflower shop

Comment

My ArabxASB passages in turnout, lol. A friend's arab cross would piaffe in cross ties when he got sick of standing there.
                Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

Originally posted by red mares View Post
                  Story from an old guy who had been working a Lippazan or Andalusion, not his usual - "They really do that sh!t on their own!" I think it was under saddle, but certainly hadn't been taught to do it and it wasn't welcomed.
                  Yep. I had a TB stallion I saw doing courbette leaps in pasture as a 3 year old. I told him he better NEVER try that under saddle . We also got in a tight spot once that made him nervous and he did a capriole leap under me - it was interesting and not hard to ride. He just leaped straight up with his back flat, I heard his hind feet hit a wood fence behind us, and then he landed back in the original spot.

Christa

Comment

One thing I have noticed is when horses are playing and running in circles at liberty, they invariably carry their heads to the OUTside and their shoulders popped "in,"--so I would say that while circling is natural up to a point, the natural bend would be a counter-bend.

My feeling on circling, jumping, even cantering a bunch is that horses in a natural state do all of these things in brief bursts momentarily; if a ditch or a log is in the way they will jump it without a thought.

Where we err is in expecting them to do it to excess, day in and day out, for years while we learn how to count to five.

For that reason, these days I try to do as much of my flat schooling as possible on the trails, rather than drilling in a ring.

Comment

A mare I used to have would get fresh in the winter and would like to play, so I got in the habit a couple days a week in the winter (when she wouldn't get outside) of letting her loose in the indoor. Much to my surprise she must have really enjoyed jumping because she would jump around the course that was set in the indoor complete with lead changes in the corners! That isn't natural but I always figured she really just loved her job!

Comment

Originally posted by Rel6 View Post
                        This whole idea sounds bizarre. Piaffes and passages aren't natural but they're a part of dressage.
                        Add Capriole, Croupade, Ballotade.... Ever met an American Saddlebred?
                        Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

Comment

• Original Poster

My question really is though, if circles are unnatural, why? Is it because horses don't naturally bend like that?

Comment

Well, I know that my horse jumped wooden paddock fences and hot wire over the years. Sometimes to get to mares and sometimes because he didn't like the flies or was mad because it was raining and he wanted into the barn.

And as for circles, well once I showed up at the barn just as the 15 horse herd thundered up from the back pasture. Four horses started cantering in a small circle, I guess 15 meters? in a counterclockwise rotation while one horse, yes mine, was cantering in a clockwise circle right there with them. After about 4 circles, Cloudy thought hmmmmmm might want to go the other way since I might get hit, so he turned around and cantered in the same directions as the other horses.

So I'd say that cantering in circles is normal for domesticated horses, as is jumping 4 or 5 ft. Depends on the horse.

Comment

Of course jumping over something, or turning in a tight circle, or sprinting a quarter mile are all things a horse is CAPABLE of doing in nature. But the trouble starts when humans ask them to do it every day, over and over again.

If I'm being chased by a serial killer, I could run a 6-minute mile. ONCE.

That's why conditioning and correct schooling is important, and helps keep them sound doing these things all the time. But there's a reason why horses living in (or close to) their natural state don't have nearly as many issues regarding soundness, colic, vices, etc.

Comment

"Natural state?" My wb had never been rained on until I bought him. He did not grown long hair for years, and shivered in the winter. In Savannah.

My 3 ottb mares all needed blankets in winter as well. And none of my horses, grade, tb or wb, could every go w/o shoes.

None of my horses were bred to be hardy. So their "natural state" was bred to run (for the tb mares) and bred to jump and piaffe (the Hessen).

And in the wild, of course, feral horses get laminitis and founder and colic, etc. We just don't see all that because no one goes out and lives among the herds as did Farley Mowat with the Alaska wolves. (Never Cry Wolf is a great book.)

I do agree that today's horses are not bred to be as tough as they were when I was a kid. But I think both tb breeders and the breeders of other horses should try to produce horses that can perform longer with less breakdowns and lameness than they are doing now.

Comment

I am previously from a dressage background and the basic philosophy behind dressage is for the horse to be able to do everything under saddle that they can do at liberty.
                                  I understood Dressage (to train) originated in battle. Horses were trained to perform movements to protect the rider and offer better fighting opportunity for the soldier. This is also why we mount from the left due to the soldiers weapons.

As far as the circle question - anything over done is not good and you could justify a circle is natural or it's not. If you don't over do things and your horse is sound and happy then your good.

I also believe Dressage goes further by proper training, balance, flexion and use of the horses body in a balanced way promotes a sounder horse anyway.
                                  Live in the sunshine.
                                  Swim in the sea.
                                  Drink the wild air.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by doublesstable View Post
                                    I understood Dressage (to train) originated in battle. Horses were trained to perform movements to protect the rider and offer better fighting opportunity for the soldier. This is also why we mount from the left due to the soldiers weapons.

As far as the circle question - anything over done is not good and you could justify a circle is natural or it's not. If you don't over do things and your horse is sound and happy then your good.

I also believe Dressage goes further by proper training, balance, flexion and use of the horses body in a balanced way promotes a sounder horse anyway.

Yes, some of the haute ecole movements were specificially used as escape maneuvers. However, as already said, they are things horses can already do on their own. I suppose someone saw what horses could do out in the field and realized that the movemetns would be useful in battle. It was just a matter of teaching the horse to do it under saddle and attaching an aid to it.

Comment

My TB gelding can do a couple of circles of caprioles without stopping on the lunge.

We had just put him on the lunge for the vet after a couple of months of stall rest, rehab, etc. to see how sound he was. His feet barely touched down.

Our jaws dropped. We were relieved after a few minutes when he quit the airs above the ground and just galloped.

No wonder the silly git keeps injuring himself.

Comment

According to Frederico Tesio, circling comes naturally. I can't remember if it's in Breeding the Racehorse or In His Own Words, but he commented that when training his string on the Downs, the lads would circle the horses around him, waiting for instructions. The horses would always make a perfect circle, though not necessarily with him at the center of it.

Of course, he also believed that jumping ability was not a heritable trait, so take what you will from it.
                                        Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

Working...
                                        X