• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

what to do if your trainer drugs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do if your trainer drugs?

I have been with my trainer for a few years and I have been mostly happy. But all of this crap about drugging and injections at horse shows has really made me kind of uncomfortable. I am a good rider and I don't always win but I enjoy showing. Some of the girls in my barn talk about which horses get drugged and which ones don't. I would rather ride my horse through a problem than have my trainer make my horse sleepy but i dont know if this is happening to my horse . One of the girls in my barn kind of made it known to the public that our barn drugs recently. She posted about how its better to ace than to lunge and i dont agree . it made us look really bad and I dont want to be a part of that. This apparently happens all of the time, even for lessons at home. I didnt start to notice until all the sad news about Humble and the threads on here talkin about how bad all of it is. I have always just let my trainer do whatever she wants but now im not so sure. If she does this to the other horses in the barn do you think she does it to mine?

Originally posted by Grey Hano View Post
    If she does this to the other horses in the barn do you think she does it to mine?
    Absolutely!
    Since horsemanship has gone the way of the Edsel in this country, chemistry is the only way many people can get things done.
    Anybody who can't work without that stuff has no business in the horse industry much less training.

Fire them immediately and get somebody competent. You have nothing to learn from this individual
    "I am going to have horse racing as my business, and my hobby will be punishing each and every one of you pinheads, so happy blogging you have my attention"
    Michael Gill-2010

Comment

Start looking for a trainer, because what you have now isn't a trainer, it's an amateur pharmacist.
      "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
        Start looking for a trainer, because what you have now isn't a trainer, it's an amateur pharmacist.
        I couldn't have put it better my self, Ghazzu.

Grey Hano, I'm very sorry your in this situation.

Comment

Agreed, and if people ask why you left, tell them you are sick of your horse being DRUGGED to be ridden.
          Fillys By Vibank - 2017 Road to RRP
          https://www.youtube.com/user/jealoushe

Comment

Just a word of caution. When you move your horse out of this kind of situation without knowing exactly what he was on or how much...give him enough down time to come off of it and then take the time to get to know your real horse. I've seen too many people get hurt because they just didn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
              Agreed, and if people ask why you left, tell them you are sick of your horse being DRUGGED to be ridden.
              A big barn north of here just closed down last month over that very issue--the clients found out the BO had been drugging all the horses, even for lessons, all the time. They deserve to be out of business.

Right now, I'm in the middle of teaching one of their ex-clients how to manage the horse he's owned for years--without the drugs. They're doing just fine.

This whole industry needs such a wake-up call it isn't even funny. But when the entire culture promotes medicating every little discomfort or inconvenience away in humans, why should we be surprised?

Vote with your feet. There are REAL trainers out there!

Comment

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
                ...This is of course assuming that the OP's horse IS being drugged, which I dont believe was ever stated. That seems a bit harsh and could also be considered slander if its not true...

Talk to your trainer, its your call. If you're happy with the training that you're receiving and happy with the way that your horse is performing (sans drugs) then I dont see a reason to move. Set up boundaries, let them know how uncomfortable and NOT OK you would be if they ever tried to drug your horse and then stick to these boundaries. If your trainer steps over these boundaries then thats a time to leave but as long as your training is drug free, I would stay. (providing of course that you ARE happy overall with everything else in the program). If other clients are letting their horses get drugged with their knowledge, then thats their problem.
                Of course, if you think that theres a barn nearby that might suit your needs a bit better then by all means, move, but as long as your horse is not being drugged and you are happy with the training, I wouldnt worry.

Comment

Get a new trainer.

Comment

How many "trainers" can afford to drug horses without some indication showing up on the owner's bills?
                    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

I would be to worried to keep my horse there. Even if I spoke with the trainer and was assured my horse wasn't being drugged and I made it clear that I did NOT want my horse to be drugged, the possibility of my horse being drugged without my consent or accidentally would be in the back of my mind.

If you are happy with the actual training you are receiving, and feel like she is doing right by you and your horse, then sit down with her and be clear about how you feel about your horse being drugged, and continue on with her.

However, if you feel as though you could benefit elsewhere, or if you are like me and would be worried about an accidental or unconcented drugging, then get a new trainer.
                      Originally posted by Nickelodian
                      We jump horses. Over sticks. For fun.
                      Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyway.
                      Regulus RDL

Comment

My first instinct was to say leave. Thinking about it a little more, sit down with your trainer and have a serious discussion about the situation - don't be accusatory, but be frank and get the information you need to know. Then go from there.

Personally, I wouldn't stay if any horses were being drugged for competition, whether they were mine or not. I don't support unethical behavior whether it directly affects me or not.
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
                        Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

Originally posted by supershorty628 View Post
                          My first instinct was to say leave. Thinking about it a little more, sit down with your trainer and have a serious discussion about the situation - don't be accusatory, but be frank and get the information you need to know. Then go from there.
                          Understanding that you're running the risk of the trainer lying to you to avoid losing clients. Questionable morals are questionable morals, and if they're illegally drugging horses at shows, I'm sure they'd have no problem lying to a client.

Comment

If I were in your shoes I would start by having a very direct conversation with your trainer. If you are a minor, you should discuss the issue with your parents and then have them speak with your trainer. Riders and owners have every right to know what medications, injections, or supplements their horses are receiving. It may not be a question some trainers want to answer. Remember that asking about "supplements" is critical since drugs such as GABA (Carolina Gold) or magnesium are sometimes referred to as "supplements" to owners.

Comment

Understanding that you're running the risk of the trainer lying to you to avoid losing clients. Questionable morals are questionable morals, and if they're illegally drugging horses at shows, I'm sure they'd have no problem lying to a client.
                              True enough, and "trust but verify" is always the order of the day. However I would also not like to condemn someone on the basis of hearsay, which is really all you have to go on at this point. That hearsay may be true, but if you respect your trainer and have a good relationship, you owe him/her the courtesy of a discussion.

If you don't respect the trainer or have a good relationship, you really don't need to know the answer to that question, you already have some very good reasons why it would be better for both of you if you parted ways. If that is the case, you have some very good questions to ask your potential future trainer about how they manage their barn and what your expectations are.
                              Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Originally posted by DMK View Post
                                True enough, and "trust but verify" is always the order of the day. However I would also not like to condemn someone on the basis of hearsay, which is really all you have to go on at this point. That hearsay may be true, but if you respect your trainer and have a good relationship, you owe him/her the courtesy of a discussion.
                                I agree. I do think, though, that I would put a little more stock in the "accusations" given that they came from people in the barn rather than outsiders.

Comment

Originally posted by Profidia View Post
                                  Absolutely!
                                  Since horsemanship has gone the way of the Edsel in this country, chemistry is the only way many people can get things done.
                                  Anybody who can't work without that stuff has no business in the horse industry much less training.

Fire them immediately and get somebody competent. You have nothing to learn from this individual
                                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/

Comment

Have the vet out. Get some blood pulled. Find out.

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                                      How many "trainers" can afford to drug horses without some indication showing up on the owner's bills?
                                      Exactly^

I can't quite fathom an owner not knowing every single thing a horse is getting, especially if owner is also the rider. Is there any reason that your horse would be getting drugged? I'd talk to the trainer (and vet) to ensure I was being kept in the loop on all meds; if either has a problem with that, then find another barn.

Comment

Originally posted by gumshoe View Post
                                        Have the vet out. Get some blood pulled. Find out.
                                        That will work to see if your horse is being drugged, but you won't be able to pull blood from other horses. If it's a moral issue for you and not just an "I don't care what trainer does as long as it's not done to my horse", it won't help you.

Plus it'll get you kicked out "right quick."

Comment

Working...
                                        X