• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Talking about Rox Dene...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talking about Rox Dene...

Tell me what made her so special. Was it her form? Consistency? What was it? Aren't there other horses just as good?

I'm serious. I'm looking for why this was a top horse in the hunter world. I have no clue. She looks pretty in her pictures. Tight knees folded to her chin, forward looking, pretty expression, stretching through her topline. What else was there to her that made her a top horse and why aren't there more?

I can only conclude that I'm paying off karma at a vastly accelerated rate.

[This message was edited by Velvet on Oct. 22, 2003 at 05:05 PM.]
    "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"
  • Original Poster

Tell me what made her so special. Was it her form? Consistency? What was it? Aren't there other horses just as good?

I'm serious. I'm looking for why this was a top horse in the hunter world. I have no clue. She looks pretty in her pictures. Tight knees folded to her chin, forward looking, pretty expression, stretching through her topline. What else was there to her that made her a top horse and why aren't there more?

[This message was edited by Velvet on Oct. 22, 2003 at 05:05 PM.]
    "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

Yes it was her spectacular form at every jump every time. It was also her consistancy and beautiful movement. She was also quite stunning to look at. I would have to say that the length of her winning career has a lot to do with it. This horse won everything for years. So many horses come into the ring as greenies and become the flavor of the week, so to speak. Asking why aren't there more like her is like asking why there aren't more horses like Secretariat The combination of things that have to come together to make the kind of hunter Rox Dene was is nearly impossible.

"I'm not going to have reporters pawing through our papers. We are the president."
      -- Hilary Clinton
      The government is best which governs least.
      -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I think it was the way she snapped her knees right off the ground. She used her shoulder and neck (hell, her whole front end) in such an amazing way.

I had heard about her for years, but had never seen her go when I finally saw her at the first Capital Challenge in '94. As beautiful as she is in pictures, once you saw that trademark jump and how swifty and how far the front end came up, you realized exactly what she was so great.

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
        -Mark Twain
        Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

She is just plain amazing, I don't think there's anyone who could argue that!

..:*:..:*:..:*:.BAS.:*:..:*:..:*:..
          No Jumps, No Glory
          Know Jumps, Know Glory

http://community.webshots.com/user/samtb056

Comment

• Original Poster

Okay, still just trying to understand and get it right, so why would she be considered the epitome of a hunter if no other horse can do what she did and she's actually sort of a "freak of nature" (in a nice way)? I mean, in racing it's all about speed and time and not form. This is about form. In dressage we have disagreements all the time on what is more correct. Why was this more correct if it's not possible for other horses to achieve it and it was an aberration?

Or are there other horses that come VERY close, but aren't able to take it that half-notch further? Some who can jump as well but are not dependable?

(What sort of classes was she in all the time? What was the height?)

Comment

Velvet, she worked her way through the hunter divisions. She started at 3' in the pre-greens, did well as a first year horse in the 3'6, did the second years at 3'9, and was wildly successful as a regular horse at 4'. There are not many horses that can jump 4' in the quiet hunter canter.

To put it very very simply, she was the best we have seen in a looong time. I'm sorry I'm not quite understanding what part of this you don't understand. Yes hunters are subjective, but we all know what a good trip looks like. There's sort of a scale of fanciness. That horse your neighbor has in the backyard that is a trashy mover who hangs his legs and never leaves the yard? Not fancy. The local/B show horse? Eh, maybe getting warmer. The small A show children's/AA hunter who is safe and steady, and gets low ribbons? Probably in the same category. Then there are the horses who consistantly win at the largest of horse shows in the best of company in the professional divisions. Now we're talking fancy; conformation horses most of all.

Rox Dene was the best of her generation. Some people compare other horses to her. She is certainly not alone in that category of "the fanciest", but she won a ton all over, and was a pretty special horse. A Gifted, if you will. A superstar.

Comment

I was reading this, and a thought occured to me. would I even WANT to compete in a class against Rox Dene? I wonder what people thought when they found out they were competeing against her!

Here are the Devilpups!!
                http://community.webshots.com/user/angelgregory87

I FART in your general direction TTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHBBBBBBB!!!!!
                Is minic a rinne bromach gioblach capall cumasach
                An awkward colt often becomes a beautiful horse .

Comment

I think of Michael Jordan. There are lots of professioanl basketball players and lots of guys on Championship teams, but if you ever SAW him play, you knew it was special.

Trinity Hill Farm
                  Trinity Hill Farm

Comment

Velvet, when it comes to matters of style in hunters you generally find two exceptional styles (ad a whole lot of lesser variations on the theme). Type A (my favorite) is excellent with the shoulder - raised above the vertical. However Type A frequently tends to be looser at the knee. Type B is not nearly as good at the shoulder (at the vertical) but is VERY tight at the knee and ankle. It's a given that both of these horses are round over the jump.

Most trips/pictures of Strapless are more of the Type B variety, whereas Oszcar looks more Type A.

Rox Dene managed to be Type A AND be tight below the knee - the best of both worlds.

Add to that a beautifully conformed horse who had a lovely way of going but had just the perfect amount of natural backup and the right degree of spook at the jump and you have something rare indeed.

Call your village. Their idiot is missing...
                    Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Are there videos you can order that have Rox Dene trips on them? I would LOVE to see this mare go, after seeing countless numbers of perfect o/f pictures. She is so beautiful.

**Member of the Ocularly Challenged Equine Support Group**
                      **Member of the Ocularly Challenged Equine Support Group**

Comment

good question rodeo...i was wondering the same thing! i never got to see her go at a show and have always wanted to see one of her trips! C. Boylen...help us out on this one! do you know if there are any we can order?
                        Katie

~*~"When your horse greets you with a nicker, nuzzles your chest, and regards you with a large and liquid eye, the question of where you want to be and what you want to do has been answered"~*~
                        ~*~\"When your horse greets you with a nicker, nuzzles your chest, and regards you with a large and liquid eye, the question of where you want to be and what you want to do has been answered\"~*~

Comment

I feel I must point out that Rox Dene was FLAWLESSLY presented for the bulk of her career by Rodney Bross and Elizabeth Solter. And their efforts were supported by her owner Ms. Boylen. Elizabeth's ride was so smooth and deliberate...I never saw her miss on the spectacular Rox Dene. Listening to Rodney's training advice was an education in itself..they left NOTHING to chance...they knew how each fence should be executed..how much leg over the verticle, how many strides off the turns to the oxer, more leg there etc.etc. SO calculated. It was the combination of these four that made the final presentation so special IMHO. That's the challenge of the hunters...no one stands alone...it is a partnership all the way...and we've seen none better than that of Rox Dene,Rodney and Elizabeth and Ms. Boylen. Actually, I would like to thank them all for showing me how it is supposed to look!!! Setting the bar a little high...but something to shoot for nonetheless!!!

Dogs will come and dogs will go and I will love them all....but ROSIE is forever

[This message was edited by Val on Oct. 22, 2003 at 07:23 PM.]

[This message was edited by Val on Oct. 22, 2003 at 09:35 PM.]
                          "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Comment

Val,
                            I've had the pleasure of working with Elizabeth and watching her work with my 3 yr old. Watching him go when she's riding him is truely amazing. He has a glow about him and a definate ora of confidence the minute she sits in his irons. Cannot wait till Spring when we return to training... Never seen RoxDene in person, but followed her extensively, loved the mare. The way Elizabeth talks about her to this day, you can tell the mare was special to everyone...

SportHorseBreedr@aol.com

Comment

How fortunate you are to have her riding your horse. During her "Roxdene" years, I watched her ride other horses as well and she gave them the same deliberate ride that gives a horse so much confidence. I remember I saved her interview in the PH for years and used it to remind myself of how it SHOULD be done...not sure I have EVER been able to do it though!

Dogs will come and dogs will go and I will love them all....but ROSIE is forever.
                              "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Comment

Rox Dene is an incredible hunter, both for her form and consistency across the field as well as her presence. I also believe there are several hunters that are in her class that are never known due to finances. Let's face it it's expensive to show a hunter to limits that the top show hunters are shown. So many very talented hunters never get the "press" because their owners don't have the funds. I'm certainly not discarding anything that the top hunters have achieved I just know I have been blessed to ride and see many who will never make it to that status due to funds.
                                NO HORSES TO SLAUGHTER CLIQUE
                                http://www.cafepress.com/maneshirts

Comment

has anyone heard of a horse that showed during rox dene's reign named cliche'?

Comment

PICS PLEASE someone?!?!?

"WHats the point in wearing your favorite space ship underwear if no body gets to see them?" - calvin and hobbes
                                    \"Those ole\' wrinkles ain\'t nothin to be scared of. Theyre just a product of time and true love\" - Diamond Rio

*Black Tie Affair*
                                    *Good Tyme Charlie*
                                    *Tymeless*

Comment

It is definitely two words.

And don't forget Bert Mutch, who was Rodney's rider at the beginning of her career.

C.Boylen has a good picture of Bert doing the pre-greens on the mare, I think... it is over white birch rails as I recall. If you do a search either here or on google I am sure you will find photos.

Comment

Sorry guys, I don't know of any videos. We actually don't have a ton ourselves. Elizabeth's mother had the most tapes, and since she has passed on I'm not sure where those ended up
                                        And, it's Rox Dene, with the space. The place she was named after in Bermuda is all one word, but due to the fact that we told Rodney how to register her over the phone, since we named her before we actually saw her, there was a slight bit of miscommunication that resulted not only in the split word, but also in her being entered in her first pre-green class as Fox Dene :P
                                        Also, if I get to add my two cents, she is special because she could model, hack, and jump, and win in both the conformation and the working classes, and do so at all three heights. She also never saw the end of a lunge line, never took a lame step, and was a pet in the barn. That's the whole package that's so hard to find

Comment

Working...
                                        X