• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Field Boots: I need help-nothing fits! Ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Boots: I need help-nothing fits! Ideas?

I have worn through my dearly beloved Ariat Crowne Pro (non-zip) field boots. I love them (probably because they are so comfy now). But...show-worthy, they are not.

I orderd Tredstep Donatellos, and they are too short and too big around the knee (though they fit my 15" calves quite nicely, and the foot/ankle area is great too).

I need a taller boot (though nothing dramatic--probably a 1/2-1" taller), and one that fits better around the knee. I'd like to spend under $500. There is only one tack store that sells a variety of FBs in my area--Ariat, and customs, essentially.

So, dear COTHrs, help me find the ideal boot. I am not averse to customs--my barn mate ordered La Mundials (I think) for $600 and loves them, so I might save up for those).

I'd like them to be pretty "hardwearing" because I wear them to ride in 3 days a week, but only show 5 times a year. Can't afford to have "show only boots".
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Have you tried these? They are very nice quality leather for the money

http://www.equusnow.com/prodview.asp?idProduct=2777

Comment

CC, I got some Gran Torinos that fit MY 15.25'' calves, and I just had the tops taken in. Love the way they fit now. Foot bed is a little long, but not uncomfortably so and they ride fine.
      COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

De Niro! I love mine!

Comment

I got the Tredstones and they fit awesome. Be warned though, I ended up with a tall and I'm short. They fit beautifully after the ankle slide and now sit right on the bottom of my knee (the store measured them so that they looked way tall and over my knee but it allowed for the slip)
          Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Comment

I LOVE my treadstones!! They are hands down the most comfortable, high quality boot I've ever owned (and I've owned a LOT). I did have a nightmare buying them though...

I tried on a pair from a vendor at a show. Loved them, but I thought they were a tad bit too tight in the foot. They were 7.5 x-wides. I decided to get an 8 x-wide, they had to order and shipped it to me. The boots came in, and I tried them on around 8 pm. I COULD NOT come close to zipping them. I don't know how I wore 7.5s fine, but the 8s were too small. I called the tack shop the next morning, explained my problem, she told me to put them on again now in the morning, that our legs swell naturally throughout the day. Sure enough, I slipped the books right on and they were TOO BIG! Shipped them back, went back to the 7.5s that are just a little tight in the foot.

They are great boots, but they do seem to vary from size to size more than other brands, so make sure you get to try them all on!

Comment

Originally posted by Calvincrowe View Post
              I have worn through my dearly beloved Ariat Crowne Pro (non-zip) field boots. I love them (probably because they are so comfy now). But...show-worthy, they are not.
              Do you care if they're new or used? PM me....I might have a pair I would part with.

Comment

I got some La Mundial boots and I love mine. Although I did read a thread here not too long ago about some people having some issues with them and long waits...

What are your measurements? Take a string and measure what you need in different places. That might help us match something a bit better
                Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Comment

If you like Tredstep, the da Vinci comes in tall, and is under $500. http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/tredst...x?cm_vc=Search

Here's the size chart - http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/Produc...ctClassId=9484

Comment

What size Crowne Pro do you need? I have a pair that settled in the ankle and are now too short for me. I think they are a 81/2 MW, but can check if that sounds close. I keep them in the trailer as a back up pair for showing, but don't use them.

Comment

My Donatellos are coming today! I think they're making them in tall soon...Tredsteps are so comfy! My old boots are Mountain Horse - they fit perfectly out of the box and didn't need any breaking in. Didn't drop at all though. I'd recommend looking into others in the Tredstep line like Raphael and Da Vinci - both come in Tall. (I am waiting for a Michelangelo style for them to complete the Ninja Turtles/Renaissance artists line).

I tried on a pair of Tredstones and later realized it wasn't even leather. It was at some tack outlet for like $65 though so I probably shouldn't have even taken the bait. I've been warned of Tredstones actual leather products because of being made in India though.

Comment

I had the same problem with the Donatellos and a whole bunch of other boots. The back zip Ariat Volants fit my legs nicely, wide enough for the calf but not big around the knee. My only other option was a men's boot and I decided it was too big in the heel.
                        Pam's Pony Place

Pam's Pony Ponderings

Comment

Originally posted by TB7 View Post
                          My Donatellos are coming today! I think they're making them in tall soon...Tredsteps are so comfy! My old boots are Mountain Horse - they fit perfectly out of the box and didn't need any breaking in. Didn't drop at all though. I'd recommend looking into others in the Tredstep line like Raphael and Da Vinci - both come in Tall. (I am waiting for a Michelangelo style for them to complete the Ninja Turtles/Renaissance artists line).

They did it! They finally did it! Tredstep just made my day by naming their new boot Michelangelo!!!! (I literally started laughing out loud - and I do mean literally).
                          If we have to nail on talent, it's not talent.
                          Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

Comment

The Michelangelo boot is really cool! We just saw it at AETA and are waiting for it to come in. It comes in 21 different size options per size and runs about $800.00. Treadstone boots are great but there is a noticiable difference in the current boots being offered in that line as opposed to the ones that were offered a few years back due to a change in manufacturing. I like Tredstep or even the Tuffrider Regal boot. Both are huge sellers for us and fit a number of calf and heights. Best- CS

Comment

I just got the Michelangelo's today for my birthday/Christmas. Wow are they gorgeous! I can't wait until they are broken in as they are really comfortable out of the box but should get even more so as time goes by. They came with wooden boot trees inside and each one has it's own velvet bag.
                              McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

I have DeNiro's from SmartPak I really like -- I have super big feet and tall skinny calves; DeNiro has a lot of ready-to-wear sizing options. I ordered a few sizes and just sent back what didn't fit. Love SmartPak

I also just got a pair of LaMundials, they had to be sent back once bc they were too big, but I had good customer service and they fit well now. But it will take 10 + weeks to get them.

Comment

Tucci just came out with a $500 boot called the Ego7 and I'm OBSESSED. They have a ton of different size combinations and they're very pretty. They also added a special synthetic panel on the inner calf for extra durability.

Only a few places carry them because they're brand new, so you might have to do some googling to find your size. LA Saddlery carries them, but they don't have all the sizes.

Comment

Why do boot manufacturers not make a wide boot in X-tall? Sigh. My customs are 21" tall and while I could lose 1/2" behind the knee (and would love spanish tops on them) they broke in to this. I need at least a 20" to start to account for drop. The tredsteps sound like they could work (I would expect less drop from a zippered boot) but they don't make a wide boot in an X-tall height...and they aren't alone.
                                    Last edited by RugBug; Oct. 31, 2015, 10:36 PM.
                                    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                                    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

RugBug, you might look at the Ariat Volant S. I mention this model in particular. It does come in a tall wide, and although the height isn't quite up to 21", it goes up to 20.5. They are made of stout leather and they do not drop like other boots do- mine dropped 1/4" in a year and a half. I need a 20" height, bought the 20.5", and wear heel lifts to make them work. Also, the elastic panel on the side is super stretchy, although it isn't that way out of the box. My boots started at 15.75" wide for a calf that was at the time 16.5" wide. They stretched to about 16.25" in and of themselves and were comfortable because of the panel. Then, I took up running again and my calves grew to 17". I could get them into my boots fine, but understandably this became uncomfortable... I had them stretched, but mention it to give you an idea of how much extra width you can get out of them.
                                      "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
                                      Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

What are everyone's thoughts on De Niro v. Sergios? I'm thinking of getting something nicer off the rack/semi custom for Christmas..I have Tredstep Dontellos now in extra slim and they fit great but give me awful blisters if I stay in them too long! My barnmates all have the same problem with them too.

Comment

Working...
                                        X