• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What to expect from a Jeff Cook clinic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to expect from a Jeff Cook clinic?

I'm riding in a Jeff Cook clinic this weekend. I've gotten some pointers as my trainer used to ride with Jeff when they were both training with George Morris back in the day.

What my trainer has said so far is that he's likely to ask us what kind of tack we're using and why and that he'll expect us to know lots of technical stuff- parts of the horse, speeds of each gait, etc.

If anyone has cliniced with him before and has some helpful input, anything is welcome. I'm not a clinic newbie, I'm just curious about this trainer in particular.

Thanks!
    Willow- http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1125720084

Google him and you will see plenty of videos. He's great.

Comment

Jeff is a fabulous clinician and you should have a great time and learn a lot. Jeff is a traditionalist, so make sure that both you and your horse are turned out beautifully. Mane pulled, ears, whiskers and fetlocks trimmed neatly, horse sparkling clean. Pay special attention to your tack - not only be able to explain why you use whatever tack you use for that horse but also the whys and wherefores. It should also be very clean and adjusted properly - no loose keepers or bits of leather flapping around. He also does not like any of the new types of stirrups, so use plain fillis irons, if possible. Your boots should be shining and your attire should be neat and workmanlike, make sure your hair is tidy, you wear a belt, spurs and are carrying a crop.

Make sure you are attentive to his instructions and have a good attitude! My DD attended a clinic where one of the other girls was inattentive and rude and he asked her to leave (not to mention he was quite put out with the girls trainer because of that). He will work a lot on fundamentals and correct technique and expects you to put forth your best efforts in trying everything he asks. Also, make sure your answers are thoughtful when he asks you questions.

Have fun and let us know what you worked on!

Comment

Originally posted by ponymom64 View Post
        Make sure you are attentive to his instructions and have a good attitude! My DD attended a clinic where one of the other girls was inattentive and rude and he asked her to leave (not to mention he was quite put out with the girls trainer because of that). He will work a lot on fundamentals and correct technique and expects you to put forth your best efforts in trying everything he asks. Also, make sure your answers are thoughtful when he asks you questions.
        Sounds like basic respect for the instructor, nothing specific to Jeff. He is an extremely nice, humble man who is as comfortable talking about his kids activities at home (outside of the ring of course) as he is the finer points of riding. You will have a great time.

Comment

Agree with all of Ponymom's points.

In addition, I would add that Jeff generally likes his students to ride with a longer stirrup on the flat than for jumping. The first time I rode with him, he dropped my irons 2 holes for the flatwork - which definitely improved my leg, but man! was I sore the next day, haha. He is very attentive to the horse's balance and wants the rider to really notice how their actions affect their horse.

He does focus on building from a solid foundation of good basics. You'll likely do a lot of flatwork, transitions, paying good attention to straightness, pace, track and position. The jumping portion is always very progressive, starting with small(er) fences to establish that you can ride the proper track and execute all the details well; the turn to the jump is as important as the jump itself, and the landing and track away from the jump is likewise very important.

Jeff is one of my very favorite clinicians and I am envious of your opportunity. You are going to have a ball and learn a lot!
          We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
          -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball View Post
            Sounds like basic respect for the instructor, nothing specific to Jeff.
            Yes, I agree 100% but some people lack respect, that's why I mentioned it

Comment

Eyes and ears open. Mouth shut. Listen to directions and, if you don't understand? Open mouth and ask. And be ready to go when it's your turn, not fiddling.

Jeff is nice but has little patience with the inattentive. Those that are might hear "Back to the end of the line, you are in the doghouse" Followed shortly by "Why are you in the doghouse"? Best have that answer ready.

He does prefer stick and spurs but does not insist on them...just don't be surprised if your critique includes "If you had a stick, you could fix that" or "Spurs would make that happen alot easier".

Anyway, he has always been a favorite to ride with both clinic and an occaisional private session. Always got alot out of it....and a personalized doghouse.
              When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Agreed with everything everyone else has said...

Will echo the listen but ASK if you dont understand...My horse is a bad leaner, leans on me through the corners and will actually PULL me down...this was happening during our flat exercises so I asked how I could correct it without fighting, got some great advice and input.

I will say that I didnt get a whole lot of input on my horse or my riding style...which I guess is better than him saying I sucked and to get out of the ring...but what I did get was more knowledge...even listening to him talk to the other riders, etc...listen to everything, you never know what you might pick up.
                Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
                Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
                Green Alligator "Captain"

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your fabulous responses. I'm very excited about this particular clinic.

I'm not sure if this is the norm or not, but Jeff is teaching a walk/trot-short stirrup section at this clinic. All the little girls are so excited to have the opportunity to ride in a clinic, as they're usually only open to those jumping 3'+.

My horse is rather untraditional, so we'll see if/what he has to say about him

And thanks Lucassb for the input about the longer stirrups- I'll be sure to put them down a hole before the clinic.

If anyone else has any input, I'm more than happy to hear it!

Comment

Eh, he used to not like the kidets and hate Ponies (gets that from all those years with GM) but raising the twins sort of changed that. He still refers to some Ponies as "crafty beasts" and "heathen creatures" but likes the kids now. Long as they behave properly and don't cry.

The lower levels fill easier then anything over 2'6" anymore, fact of life. If that is where the potential attendees want it to be, organizers will offer it. Particularly when the 4' section has 2 of 8 slots filled and has to combine with the 3'6".

It's good for the kidlets to work with somebody who expects them to have an idea of what they are doing and the basics of why.

Ummm, he likes untradtitional in a sea of bay WBs...and has learned to ride a cowpony out where he lives. He won't mind a bit.
                    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I know for us we had a 2-2'6 section and a 2'6-3ft section and then it went up from there...the lower section was all ponies and kids and they all seemed to do well and have a good time, while learning.

I was in the middle section and my horse is NOT a traditional hunter and was still a roarer at the time (had not had surgery yet)..again, he really didnt comment on anyones horse, with the exception of the one horse who he LOVED in our group...well, I think he called another one a "chicken heart"...but that was about it, lol.
                      Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
                      Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
                      Green Alligator "Captain"

Comment

I watched him teach a 2'6'' clinic last year. i though he was good, really enforced basics, a lot of kids had trouble with careening around corners so they worked a lot on that. You should have a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball View Post
                          Sounds like basic respect for the instructor, nothing specific to Jeff.
                          You would think this basic respect shouldn't even have to be mentioned, but I have seen some truly appalling behavior from people clinicing even with Olympic and World Champion medalists.

Comment

I have only watched one day of a clinic he did in a PNW barn. There was a range of jumpers in there.

IMO, the Jeff Cook wants to see riders make a difference in their horse. If he asked you to put in 5-- do that, not 4 or 6 twice in a row. I think he wants the horse to feel something different and then the rider to do the same. So you have to commit to doing what he asks for.

He does warm everyone up on the flat in order to get their horses adjustable and on the aids. Perhaps I'm projecting here, but don't go with your "Mmm. I'm not sure what the difference between a shoulder fore and a leg yield is. I'll just figure it out when I get there." If he asks you for lateral work, he'll want it. If he asks you to be able to lengthen and shorten, you need to produce that.

If I were going, I'd get the most bang for my buck by practicing all I knew how to do on the flat in order to get a very responsive horse.
                            The armchair saddler
                            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by findeight View Post
                              Ummm, he likes untradtitional in a sea of bay WBs...and has learned to ride a cowpony out where he lives. He won't mind a bit.
                              Oh good. We campaign in the jumpers anyway, and my horse used to be something of a cowpony (who can jump the moon and can dressage it up with the best of them). Picture a big honkin' paint with a crazy mane (pulled and neat as I can possibly get it!) and you may have something close to this guy

I'll be riding in the intermediate group, so we'll see how it goes!

Comment

Working...
                              X