• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

My horse is a ring-side masochist!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My horse is a ring-side masochist!

I'm hoping someone here has some useful (read: out of the box) suggestions. My newest horse is amazing. He is a machine in the ring, despite never having shown much and i love just about everything about him....with the exception of one thing.

He bites. ESPECIALLY ring side.

He isn't a mean biter, more of an "i'm bored and you aren't paying attention to me" or an "I need to chew on SOMETHING" biter. He never pins his ears or anything, and actually really loves people. He does use teeth, though- if this was a lip-grabber, i'd be less annoyed. He grabs reins, leads, people, brushes- basically whatever he can reach. he bit me in the shoulder blade while we were jogging for ribbons the other day.
    I usually know how to deal with biters, as he is not my first one. HOWEVER, this guy is different. if you smack him, or yell at him, he likes it. Actually, he RELISHES in it. Yelling, smacking, growling, shanking, no chew sprays and hot sauce etc. seem to encourage the behavior, hence the odd title for this thread. He enjoys being punished! I've tried ignoring, but that doesn't help either.
    He is 8, and i'm sure has been doing this for a while. I also think he was gelded late, which doesn't help.
    FYI- His other manners are impeccable- stands quietly, ties, loves to be groomed, leads like a perfect gentleman, great with clippers, good with other horses, etc. 95% of the time he respects my bubble, and is a very sweet boy, but this biting, and the lack of reaction from typical punishments baffles me. He isn't DANGEROUS, as i don't think he'd seriously hurt anyone, but he will definitely leave a mark. I'd rather not be black and blue after every horseshow just as a result of holding my horse
    Any innovative ideas from the COTH crew?

Can you bring a halter with attached grazing muzzle to the ring and just put it over his bridle while he's waiting at the ring? I know it won't fix the actual problem, but at least you wouldn't be black & blue.

Comment

LOL, did you steal one of my horses out of the barn? One of them is the same way as your horse. Cut late, very unproperly disciplined stallion-like ground behavior, MOUTHY as all get out, and he will bite if he feels like it -- although he LOVES people. I refer to him as my "S&M horse", as he really enjoys the use of whips/chains/spurs. Sigh. I have had him for about 2 years, and I got him with that behavior well-ingrained. He is much worse with females than males. Mr. SSR, who has owned multiple stallions, and my farrier, who has also dealt with multiple stallions, handle him best (and hence is another reason why he is now Mr. SSR's horse).

I have yet to find anything to truly help other than a muzzle. Most of the time I try to make sure my halter and a ratty nylon chain lead shank are always there, so when outside the ring I can put the halter on over the bridle, with the reins tucked up by the throatlatch, attach the shank with the chain over his nose, and let him chew on the lead. I go through a fair number of them, but at least he isn't chewing on the good stuff, or me!
      Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Comment

How is it you know he likes the punishment?
        COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

When was the last time his teeth were done?

My gelding is very mouthy. Chews on everything he can put his mouth on. The dentist said his points get so sharp that he's a 6mo floater and that could be the reason for his constantly teething everything.

Comment

I had one like this. Trick with him was to keep something in his mouth. I always had a cotton lead rope that he kept in his mouth while ring side. He liked chewing on it and having it in his mouth. Soon as we got called for the jog out it came. I also taught him to jog in beside me so not to get behind me in the jog and bite me. I have seen others like this too.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far....
              His teeth were JUST done, and fine. And I've taken to carrying a rope dog toy around with me by the ring, which he happily gnaws on. I'd prefer not to encourage the behavior by allowing the chewing, but it sure beats getting chewed on myself. Maybe I'll just have to accept this one character flaw of his

Comment

i had a wonderful horse ( to ride) who was just like this. the only thing that kept him quiet at the ring was to park him in front of a trash can and let him take each piece of garbage out one at a time. you had to choose one that wasn't too close to the ring or he would scare the hell out of other horses he would do it mounted and held. he would bite everything and anything, hoses, ripped pants at the knee of braiders and dumped one badly when he grabbed her ladder, ate bridles, you name it. muzzles only made him beat the hell out of the handler with them. he never put his ears back.....

carry your whip in your hand pointing towards him when jogging and as the other poster suggested, jog at his shoulder.

ultimately this horse ended biting the hell out of a child who walked between him and the rail. she had to have surgery for the nasty hematoma he gave her on the chest.

the only cure i ever found for biting was to bake a potato to burning hot and shove it at the beast. it worked since the pain was self inflicted and he never tried it again. ( i guess i should put on my flame suit about now).

Comment

God how I hate people who "teach" them it's okay to chew on anything

outside of their feed tubs! Thoroughbred grooms are the worst offenders, thinking they'll be 'good" if they let them chew on their lead shanks. It's a lazy man's way of doing things, horses do not need pacifiers, they need proper training.

I have a recently purchased horse that is exactly as you describe, except he's not a show hunter, he's a 1400 lb draft cross field hunter with a head like an anvil. A big anvil. He's 8 years old, He's a biter, when he's impatient, in cross ties, when he's being haltered. The first time really surprised me, the second time, I didn't just smack at him, I yelled, I kicked him square in his huge old chest, I backed him up and hit him with anyting and everything I could reach, he knew what he did, he knew it was wrong and the punishment was severe and instant. If that mouth comes open (and it's less and less now) I simply ignore him and stand out of his reach until he is quiet. Ignoring it, unless he's made contact, seems to be the most effective, he too enjoys the "play" and the reaction.

You need to have someone convince this horse that the next thing he's likely to see is God if he does it again.

My horse is NOT afraid of me, but he knows if he dares try that crap again I'm going to knock him into his next birthday with not one ounce of regret.

Next time, your horse might injure some little kids face that's in the way, it's not something to take lightly. He must realize that under NO circumstance is this behavior acceptable.

Comment

My 32 yr old has been like this all his life. Its as if he wished he had hands, he needs to touch and fondle everything, and so out of frustration he uses his mouth, and nips in sheer delight. He too would welcome punishment, and would nip to incite a reaction.

3 things helped, though he is not reformed, and I never expect him to be:

Moving him outdoors was a huge relief for him. Though he liked his stall, he was just too busy minded to deal with chronic boredom and would invent his own excitement through destruction and riling up the humans. Living outside melted away a LOT of the nipping.

No hand feeding. I am admittedly bad, he is my heart horse and the only biter I have ever handfed, but I can't stop myself. I did however once move him to a facility where he was to be stalled at night (against my better judgement). He almost immediately reverted to his old mouthy/nipping ways, so, frightened I'd just brought them the horse from hell to board, I stopped treats altogether. If he got a reward of anykind it was verbal or a scratch in an itchy spot. After 6 weeks his nipping was 90% gone! We only boarded at this place for 7-8 months, and when I moved him to an outdoor facility again, I went right back to hand feeding and he went right back to nipping

Having a personal bubble and keeping him out of nipping range at all times. He's a very cuddly horse that wants to be in your pocket, he wants to be groomed and loved on, loves to have his face snuggled, etc. Hard to resist, but keeping him at arms length all the time kept the nipping to a minimum by taking the fun out of it.

I have had other biters in the past though, and the best way to solve it has been a serious CTJ the instant they put their mouths on me... but my oldster is my first horse, the horse I made all my mistakes on, he owns my heart, and by the time I was knowledgeable enough to know how to correct this behavior, I'd already invented ways to live with him despite it. He knows it as well as I do. There is no way I could ever have a CTJ with this horse and mean it, he knows my heart too well.

All bets are off with all other horses though
                    Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Do remember that mouthy horses are innately so; it's not that mouthiness is BAD or WRONG.

It's also true that mouthy horses have a high play drive, thus they enjoy making a game out of sneaking in for a bite, then getting a rise out of you; rather than think of your retaliations as punishment, they often think, "game on!"

So, another way to deal is to give his mouth the attention it craves, but YOU are controlling the situation: when he mouths you, rub his muzzle back, put your finger in the bit seat safely, even take hold of his tongue (don't pull it), all of which will satisfy him, then rub his muzzle a bit harder than he'd like, so it's HIS idea to quit. Then, in the rest of your time spent with him, you'll devise ways of allowing him more play & mouthiness with objects which YOU control.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
                        The first time really surprised me, the second time, I didn't just smack at him, I yelled, I kicked him square in his huge old chest, I backed him up and hit him with anyting and everything I could reach, he knew what he did, he knew it was wrong and the punishment was severe and instant. If that mouth comes open (and it's less and less now) I simply ignore him and stand out of his reach until he is quiet. Ignoring it, unless he's made contact, seems to be the most effective, he too enjoys the "play" and the reaction.
                        Yeah, we have tried all of that in the two years I have had him. A lot. Doesn't make a damn bit of difference, unfortunately. On most horses, yes, the "come to Jesus" meeting can work. But some are just oblivious. The more you give it to them, the happier they are.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJenners View Post
                          How is it you know he likes the punishment?
                          Well, with my guy, he drops and gets a happy look on his face.

It is sort of disturbing.

Comment

God I hate when people think it's okay to let them chew on stuff

Thoroughbred grooms are the worst offenders, they figure if that lead chain occupies them, it's all good.

I recently purchased a horse just like yours. Via internet, had NO idea he was a biter. Until he bit me, hard. He was in the cross ties and I was so stunned the first time, he didn't get much but a holler and a smack.

The difference is, my horse is a huge draft cross field hunter. With a head like an anvil. A big anvil. He's 8 years old and knows better.

The second time? I lit into him like the next thing he was going to see was God. Instantly and without one speck of guilt, I just about knocked him into his next birthday. I'm 5'4" this horse is 16.3 and probably weighs about 1500lbs.

He hasn't done it since. He does open his mouth like Jaws, and act like he's going to bite, and that is just bluff. He knows if he touches me again, that even Jesus won't be able to save him.

I don't give a damn how much money or how many ribbons a horse has won. That behavior is something that I refuse to tolerate, it's dangerous for you and for other people.

I've seen someone's lower lip get removed by a horse that everyone said was "just mouthy". Several surgeries later, it's still not pretty, and she was a very lovely girl.

Either discipline him, or get someone else to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by SidesaddleRider View Post

Owe work a new keyboard.

I would try the muzzle, at least ring-side. Would hate to have what happend to a previous poster with the child who was bitten.

Other than that, no advice, sorry. I have had one biter, he was malicious, and I reformed him with the good old fashioned CTJ. Totally different situation.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SidesaddleRider View Post

Yep, same here. And the CTJ meetings get the same reaction. Guess I'll just have to resort to hyper vigilence and human-approved toys

Comment

Linda Tellington Jones mouth work. It seemed to make the Fjordie pony more aware of sensation around his mouth and calm the urge to play. When we got him years ago, he thought it was a great game to play "nip, gotcha, you're it." (Found out when we visited former owner that they constantly carried treats and doled them out like an over active slot machine. No wonder, he thought it was fun to be constantly in any ones' space.)

Also, every time his nose invaded my or my kids space we'd put both hands around his muzzle and firmly rub, rub, rub, rub quickly back and forth until he wanted to turn or back away and then we'd rub just rub a little longer. Soon cured him of the "nippies." He's learned who is in control of the rubs (it's not him) and now he just carefully extends his muzzle and waits for a gentle rub. He's very expressive and tons of fun to be around, but is also so much more polite and safe now!

Consistency in expecting good behavior and treats only in the feed bowl make us all happy.

Comment

What does he do if you put him to work?

Trainer's horse used to turn and bite her feet when she was mounted. She would put him on a small circle and ask for a strong trot. He learned that biting meant work, and stopped.

(You could do this in hand too- just walk him with a lunge line and spin him on a circle if he nips.)
                                    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

My young gelding is not quite as bad as some of the ones described here, but he is very active with his mouth. He will stand quietly for a certain amount of time, then he starts getting bored or anxious and finds comfort either by grabbing on to your shirt, a towel, lead rope, crunchy water bottle, rein, etc. and either holding it or playing with it (which can be disruptive to other horses in the area). The more you try to keep it away, the more adamant he is about putting something in his mouth, which makes him less careful about where he puts his teeth. Discipline doesn't work for him, either, and I am not sure about you, but I am not sure I want to give my horse a CTJ moment when standing ringside. Just.not.appropriate on many levels.

The thing that helps him the most is just taking him for a walk, which calms him and gives him something else to think about (as he as matured, he does stand quietly for much longer periods of time). The other thing I have done is take my hands and hold his lips closed with a little growl after he has tried to grab something until he gives in and relaxes. I've tried rubbing his nose until he gives up - its just another game for him and his lips never stop moving to find something to grab. He thinks ground work in a circle is another game.

If someone told me mine was gelded late, I'd believe it and will admit he needs constant reminders of his manners, so I am ever vigilent both at home and at shows and he gets constant tune ups on manners. You might also want to spent time practicing jogging manners at home. If we get there, I am sure I will have to establish jogging ground rules with mine before we attemt it at a show. Good luck and be safe!

Comment

Rico is a bit like this, cuddly and mouthy. He's also a bit chewer. Usually its obviously pacifier behaviour, but he'd also threaten to nip when he was impatient or annoyed.

I absolutely do not tolerate teeth on me, ever. He's nipped me 3 times in 8 years, and with the exception of the time the massage therapist was almost underneath him, I made him think he was about to meet his maker.

the last incident was in his stall when he wasn't tied and the door was open, so after the CTJ moment, I also chased him away from the barn and wouldn't let him come back to be with his herdmate for about 10 minutes. I think that must have finally given him the message that biting the boss mare meant isolation, and he hasn't even pinned an ear at me since.

I agree with poster who said that its definitely the wrong approach to give them a pacifier. The only thing mine is allowed to chew on in my presence without a reprimand is his stall chain.
                                        Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
                                        Witherun Farm
                                        http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                        X