• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Transfer of Ownership with USEF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Sorry, but I still dont get your position. So you don't mind that you are on the hook as the owner if they show the horse improperly on medication? Or that you might be on the hook if they fail to pay your show bills? Or if the horse injures someone, you are liable as owner? Or a trainer comes after you for unpaid bills or fees? Or if the horse were to pass away, you are lut the balance?

    To each his own, but you have assumed a great deal of risk with no real reward. The most common purchase on time agreements allow you to avoid this problem entirely. You sell the horse, and hold a note for cash payment with the horse as collateral. If the fail to pay, you get the horse back. But ownership transfers so that you aren't exposed to the liabilities of owning a horse not in your immediate care.

    Good luck.

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #22
      USEF records have no bearing on risks and liabilities. Our purchase contract is the legal document that states that the purchaser assumes risks and responsibilities of ownership. The purchaser is required to hold loss insurance payable to me for at least the amount that is owed. I have proof that this insurance is in force.

      I don't care if USEF lists the purchaser as owner as long as it is recorded that money is owed. I want to be able to easily rescind USEF's transfer of ownership if the purchaser defaults and I need to sell the horse to someone else. This is an issue encountered by others, which is why USEF has a protocol for it. Too bad they're not so good at following it.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by Muggle Mom View Post
        USEF records have no bearing on risks and liabilities. Our purchase contract is the legal document that states that the purchaser assumes risks and responsibilities of ownership. The purchaser is required to hold loss insurance payable to me for at least the amount that is owed. I have proof that this insurance is in force.

        I don't care if USEF lists the purchaser as owner as long as it is recorded that money is owed. I want to be able to easily rescind USEF's transfer of ownership if the purchaser defaults and I need to sell the horse to someone else. This is an issue encountered by others, which is why USEF has a protocol for it. Too bad they're not so good at following it.
        However, if you are still listed as owner of the horse with USEF and they bounce a check and fail to make it good to a horse show. That show will turn them over to USEF and YOU as horse owner are also held liable for the money due the show. Your contract might get you out of the mix, however, the horse would still be suspended until the payment was made (a horse that you still own).

        Or if the horse would test positive for a forbidden substance (and every horse at a USEF show is legible to be drug tested even it if never shows!) you as USEF owner of the horse would be held accountable. Your contract "might" get you out of responsibility but you would spend energy having to get yourself out of the problem.

        Unless you specifically told them in writing that they could not transfer the ownership until the final payment was made, IMO, they did nothing wrong and really did you a favor by doing the transfer now. Now there is no reason for you to be held liable for anything that could arise with the horse.

        Personally, I wouldn't bother with giving USEF any additional paperwork at this point. If they were to default on the purchase, you have the needed paperwork at that time to transfer the ownership back to you. Why given them information that they do not need?

        Comment


        • #24
          You could have yourselves both listed as owner until the horse is paid for.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by Muggle Mom View Post
            I contacted USEF anonymously and asked for the protocol for this particular issue. As I stated in my previous post, I haven't rescinded the transfer and have no intention to do so. I do want USEF to acknowledge that money is owed on the horse and that I have the right to have USEF records changed back in the event that the buyer doesn't pay off the horse within the terms of the contract.

            To answer your questions, I paid for the horse's lifetime recording when I purchased the horse. I purposely renewed my USEF membership fees so that they could show the horse if they wanted. We had already agreed that I would sign the entry blanks if they wanted to show the horse. Considering the classes they would be showing the horse in, it's not at all likely that she would be tested, and I don't have any reason to believe she wouldn't pass.

            I think the purchaser did this because the daughter didn't like the name of the horse, and I really don't care what they call her. Why should they care if USEF has record that they still owe money on the horse?

            If this causes a little inconvenience for the purchaser, so what? It's little price to pay for a six-month interest-free loan.
            Yeah right.
            There is no 'protocol' for this issue.
            USEF is not an ownership registry.

            Your comment about thinking it's not likely the horse would be tested makes me think you have little knowledge of USEF rated shows. Testing is random and is not based on the division the horse shows in. They are as likely to test a 2' pre childrens pony as a hgh performance hunter.

            And because you don't have control of the horse thinking there won't be a problem is a foolish position.
            The new owners ( who rightly are probably po'd at you) could simply load the horse up at every show with ace and wait for it to be tested and for you to have a problem with USEF. And they'd be off the hook LMAO.
            Alhough the USEF owner sanctions are not as substantial as the trainer sanctions it will cost you money.

            Comment

            • Original Poster

              #26
              Originally posted by S A McKee View Post
              Yeah right.
              There is no 'protocol' for this issue.
              USEF is not an ownership registry.

              Your comment about thinking it's not likely the horse would be tested makes me think you have little knowledge of USEF rated shows. Testing is random and is not based on the division the horse shows in. They are as likely to test a 2' pre childrens pony as a hgh performance hunter.

              And because you don't have control of the horse thinking there won't be a problem is a foolish position.
              The new owners ( who rightly are probably po'd at you) could simply load the horse up at every show with ace and wait for it to be tested and for you to have a problem with USEF. And they'd be off the hook LMAO.
              Alhough the USEF owner sanctions are not as substantial as the trainer sanctions it will cost you money.
              According to USEF's Director of Horse Services, there is a protocol, but you're right, if the staff doesn't follow it then it's the same as not having one.

              The rest of your post is too ridiculous to merit a response.

              Comment


              • #27
                I kind of think you are making a tempest in a teapot. I am buying a horse that I did not quite have the cash for, and the owner was kind enough to let me pay off the balance. It was agreeable to us that I would pay a certain price down payment, then I would assume all risk and insure him. Her interest now is getting her money, and I appreciate her trust in me. When you agreed to let them make payments that was the time to decide if it was worth the risk, and now that you have decided that, just trust that you will get paid. You can't live your life assuming problems and jamming things up.
                Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by Muggle Mom View Post
                  According to USEF's Director of Horse Services, there is a protocol, but you're right, if the staff doesn't follow it then it's the same as not having one.

                  The rest of your post is too ridiculous to merit a response.
                  The USEF isn't an ownership registry, it's a show horse registry. I could log on right now and create registrations for a dozen horses that don't even exist. Or I could register a barnmate's unregistered horse in my name. Would that make it mine? No, but it would make me liable, as the "owner," if the horse showed under that registration number and tested for something, or bounced a check.

                  And it doesn't even have to be nefarious drugging; maybe they put the horse on a SmartPak, where one of their senior supplements contains (illegal!) Devil's Claw. Whammo, positive drug test that the owner of record is responsible for.

                  If you really want some kind of "credit" for the horse while they're showing it, which sounds like the case, why not ask the new owners to show the horse under a recorded lease until the balance is paid in full?

                  Comment

                  • Original Poster

                    #29
                    Originally posted by ToTheNines View Post
                    I kind of think you are making a tempest in a teapot. I am buying a horse that I did not quite have the cash for, and the owner was kind enough to let me pay off the balance. It was agreeable to us that I would pay a certain price down payment, then I would assume all risk and insure him. Her interest now is getting her money, and I appreciate her trust in me. When you agreed to let them make payments that was the time to decide if it was worth the risk, and now that you have decided that, just trust that you will get paid. You can't live your life assuming problems and jamming things up.
                    I'm not assuming problems or jamming anything up. The buyer doesn't even know that I'm aware he transferred ownership. It's not about being kind enough to agree to take payments. It's a reality that to sell a horse in this economy you have to be willing to take payments. If you don't pay on time and the seller takes back the horse, how eager will you be to sign an affidavit for USEF to transfer ownership back to the seller? Why is it such a bad thing to tell USEF that money is owed on the horse?

                    Comment

                    • Original Poster

                      #30
                      Originally posted by DoubleTwistedWire View Post
                      The USEF isn't an ownership registry, it's a show horse registry. I could log on right now and create registrations for a dozen horses that don't even exist. Or I could register a barnmate's unregistered horse in my name. Would that make it mine? No, but it would make me liable, as the "owner," if the horse showed under that registration number and tested for something, or bounced a check.

                      And it doesn't even have to be nefarious drugging; maybe they put the horse on a SmartPak, where one of their senior supplements contains (illegal!) Devil's Claw. Whammo, positive drug test that the owner of record is responsible for.

                      If you really want some kind of "credit" for the horse while they're showing it, which sounds like the case, why not ask the new owners to show the horse under a recorded lease until the balance is paid in full?
                      I don't want credit for the horse. I only want to ensure I can easily transfer ownership back to me if the purchaser defaults. By providing a statement to USEF that the purchaser owes on the horse, I do just that. The purchaser stays listed as owner. He bears all liability and risks.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X