• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I need some pad help with my Tad Coffin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need some pad help with my Tad Coffin

    Hi all,

    I just bought a used TC A5G, and I love the ride in it! Unfortunately, it's a little tight at the top of my horse's shoulders (just below the withers on each side) and then it gets looser as the flap continues downward. The gullet seems to fit her, as I can fit most of my hand in the front and it doesn't look like it touches her spine in any place.

    I've written to TC saddles to ask for their advice as far as their padding goes, but does anyone have any suggestions for other pads? There's a Thinline rep at a tack shop nearby - has anyone had good experiences with Thinline pads and TC saddles? Or maybe Beval pads?

    I have tried a thick wither relief half pad (similar to this one: http://www.smartpakequine.com/equine...x?cm_vc=Search) But it just seemed to tilt the saddle up in the back too much.

    Anyway, I'm sorry for rambling, but I need help!! Thanks in advance!!

  • #2
    It sounds like the saddle is not the right fit for your horse. These saddles have foam panels, so you can't have it flocked. "Too tight" probably will be made worse with an extra pad.

    Comment


    • #3
      I would see what Tad Coffin says. I just bought a new one (the horses and I love it!), and during the purchase/demo/fitting process, he could not have been more helpful about fitting me and my horses.

      Personally, if yours does not have his newer flex tree, now might be a good time to ask him about redoing the saddle to get one.

      I bet he would look at a picture for you too.
      Last edited by ToTheNines; Apr. 9, 2012, 11:48 AM.
      Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

      Comment


      • #4
        Actually Tad exchanged this saddle for my prior Tad. I emailed pics and spoke with him on the phone. He also sent all the pads, a girth, and a square pad in a beautiful padded box. I have a different horse now and she is wide. The saddle fits her but she is fat and round (and beautiful). I just broke down and got a breastplate for schooling at home. I would like to buy a new TC, but mine is in perfect condition and is not that old. Hmmm. I find that the pads can move around pretty easily on any horse if not placed properly. The saddle is not tight. I use minimal padding. And I can stick a crop under the pommel
        when I am sitting on it, so it isn't on the spine. Just moves a little when I step into the outside stirrup, etc

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by susy999 View Post
          Hi all,

          I just bought a used TC A5G, and I love the ride in it! Unfortunately, it's a little tight at the top of my horse's shoulders (just below the withers on each side) and then it gets looser as the flap continues downward. The gullet seems to fit her, as I can fit most of my hand in the front and it doesn't look like it touches her spine in any place.

          I've written to TC saddles to ask for their advice as far as their padding goes, but does anyone have any suggestions for other pads? There's a Thinline rep at a tack shop nearby - has anyone had good experiences with Thinline pads and TC saddles? Or maybe Beval pads?

          I have tried a thick wither relief half pad (similar to this one: http://www.smartpakequine.com/equine...x?cm_vc=Search) But it just seemed to tilt the saddle up in the back too much.

          Anyway, I'm sorry for rambling, but I need help!! Thanks in advance!!
          Originally posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
          Actually Tad exchanged this saddle for my prior Tad. I emailed pics and spoke with him on the phone. He also sent all the pads, a girth, and a square pad in a beautiful padded box. I have a different horse now and she is wide. The saddle fits her but she is fat and round (and beautiful). I just broke down and got a breastplate for schooling at home. I would like to buy a new TC, but mine is in perfect condition and is not that old. Hmmm. I find that the pads can move around pretty easily on any horse if not placed properly. The saddle is not tight. I use minimal padding. And I can stick a crop under the pommel
          when I am sitting on it, so it isn't on the spine. Just moves a little when I step into the outside stirrup, etc
          Are you the OP?

          Anyway, to the OP, something that is too small, i.e. "tight," can't be fixed by using pads. That will just make it tighter.

          Unless Tad Coffin saddles have found out a way to make that not true...

          Comment


          • #6
            Unclear how padding a saddle that is already too tight will help.

            OP, Tad Coffins fit every horse with their majik tree, didn't you know?
            ~Veronica
            "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
            http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by vxf111 View Post
              Unclear how padding a saddle that is already too tight will help.

              OP, Tad Coffins fit every horse with their majik tree, didn't you know?
              I never understand how exchanging one saddle with a "majik tree" with another saddle with the exact same tree is supposed to make a difference. The whole point is that they are ALL THE SAME TREE.

              And then the, 'just stick it even higher up on the shoulders and add a pad' mentality to boot.

              Rip off ala mode.

              Saddles move when they don't fit. A well fitted saddle is naturally stable on the back.
              The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
              Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
              Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
              The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by geldingsRgreat View Post
                These saddles have foam panels, so you can't have it flocked.
                I thought you could get foam-flocked saddles reflocked with wool? Not that this would help the OP, but as an aside.
                LEGADO DE RIOS

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by lachevaline View Post
                  I thought you could get foam-flocked saddles reflocked with wool? Not that this would help the OP, but as an aside.
                  Depends on the construction. TCs have a very thin little space for the foam, I am not sure how well they'd convert. You need more wool than than the thin layer of foam. It wouldn't be my suggestion for a good experiment.

                  What the OP describes sounds like overall a poor shape for her horse's back. the TCs I have seen are very "A shaped" which sounds consistent with it being tight and then sticking out too much lower down. I don't know of any pad that will solve that issue.
                  ~Veronica
                  "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                  http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    How long have you had the new saddle? If not long then I would ask Tad to exchange it for a wide tree (unless he doesn't make wide trees??)

                    Last fall I got a new flexible tree TCBS and he took ny old A5 as partial trade. Amazingly enough the new saddle fits both my high withered TB and my very round (with no withers) WB.

                    Did he send you the leather pad with the cutout for the withers? I would certainly use that since it gives the horse extra room over the withers while keeping the rest of the saddle flat.
                    "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

                    Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by vxf111 View Post
                      Depends on the construction. TCs have a very thin little space for the foam, I am not sure how well they'd convert. You need more wool than than the thin layer of foam. It wouldn't be my suggestion for a good experiment.

                      I see - thanks for the info.
                      LEGADO DE RIOS

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by lachevaline View Post
                        I see - thanks for the info.
                        I begged my saddle fitter to explore the option of a switch on my old pancake saddle and she said no. For the switch to be feasible, you need a specific amount of space/room and a particular construction
                        ~Veronica
                        "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                        http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AmmyByNature View Post
                          Are you the OP?

                          Anyway, to the OP, something that is too small, i.e. "tight," can't be fixed by using pads. That will just make it tighter.

                          Unless Tad Coffin saddles have found out a way to make that not true...
                          Am I an OP? Are you paranoid?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Wait - I am confused - is susy999 and Atlas Shrugged the same person?


                            If so, maybe TC would let you switch out?
                            FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
                              Am I an OP? Are you paranoid?
                              Nope. I was just trying to reconcile the information. The first sentence of your post seemed to indicate that you were replying to the posters who were answering the OP, so I was trying to figure out if both those posts were from the OP.

                              Starting your post with the first sentence "Actually Tad exchanged this saddle for my prior Tad." Implied to me that "this" saddle was the saddle in question, and that you were the OP.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by AmmyByNature View Post
                                Nope. I was just trying to reconcile the information. The first sentence of your post seemed to indicate that you were replying to the posters who were answering the OP, so I was trying to figure out if both those posts were from the OP.

                                Starting your post with the first sentence "Actually Tad exchanged this saddle for my prior Tad." Implied to me that "this" saddle was the saddle in question, and that you were the OP.
                                Maybe Atlas meant s/he had the same model saddle as the OP?
                                LEGADO DE RIOS

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X