• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Breeches that STINK??!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeches that STINK??!!

Help - I'm getting ready to throw away several pairs of breeches that I simply cannot get to stop smelling! These are all nice breeches, and they are always washed in cold water and then hung to dry, but I've tried presoaking them, washing them in the Arm & Hammer detergent, but no matter what, they smell like sweat.

I always hang them when I take them off, so they don't go in the hamper wet, so I cannot figure out what's going on. It seems to be worse on breeches made of the newer, thicker, Schoeller-like fabric. One pair is Riding Sport Competitor breeches, another are Ovation Euroweaves, and a third are TuffRider Kashmere. The Ovations are less than a year old, and the other two less than three years old, worn maybe once a week.

Has anyone been able to figure out how to save breeches that smell like.....well.....crotch? *sorry* And is there some way to prevent it from happening in the future? I don't want to spend tons of money replacing perfectly good schooling breeches!!! TIA!

Pre-soak them in warm water and vinegar. If your washer has a soak setting, add the clothes, and a cup or so of white vinegar.

Then when you go to wash them, add baking soda to the soaking water (plus your normal detergent, etc). If you had to treat the clothes outside of the washer, add the vinegar in the mix too. The vinegar/baking soda reaction will help get the smell out.

You might have to do it a couple of times for best results.

Dry the clothes OUTSIDE. Sunlight and fresh air does amazing things for removing smells.

Comment

Lestoil takes most anything out of laundry. You only need a little bit, a couple of Tablespoons for a regular laundry load. The breeches will smell like Lestoil for a while, but it fades with the next washing. I would try washing them in warm water, too, it may get more out than cold does.
      Good luck, it's a shame to throw away otherwise good breeches. But I have had a couple of towels that got like that, and I was never able to get them completely fresh

Comment

Ditto the vinegar. Be careful about the vinegar/baking soda ratio, though- you could end up with a LOT of foam action temporarily!

Tide stain release tabs also tend to get some smells out for me as well.
        Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

All of my horse related laundry (and my bathroom towels ) get a hefty dose of OxyClean powder and liquid fabric softener. It may take a few washes for the smell to dissipate but I have saved some formerly dingy-smelling towels this way.

This product is also amazing - I know it is for animal smells, but it really takes the stink out of anything and doesn't harm the fabric. http://www.amazon.com/Clean-Green-Up...2344349&sr=8-1

Comment

Also, using TOO much detergent can leave a musty smell in your clothes, so be sure you aren't trying to compensate with extra detergent.
            Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

• Original Poster

The soaking thing is a bit difficult, since I have a front load washer, so I can presoak, but I don't think I can add to it after the soaking. I usually use Tide, measured for the HE washers, so I don't think I'm oversudsing.

Good to know this might work on the towels too - I have bathroom towels that also get musty smelling, even when they are just out of the wash.

Comment

Have you considered that the washer is holding on to the smell? I had to use washer cleaner and my clothes were much better.
                I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Comment

Originally posted by FLeventer View Post
                  Have you considered that the washer is holding on to the smell? I had to use washer cleaner and my clothes were much better.
                  I've heard that front load washers can start smelling musty/mildewy because the doors seal so tightly , and there isn't any air circulation like with a regular washer. I second the washer cleaner, it's really easy to use!

Comment

^^
                    this happens to our front loader. We use a sponge to prop the door open when not in use, so that air can get in there. Otherwise the washing machine gives off a sulpher-y smell. Yuck! This may be contributing to the smelly breeches. We also use a detergent called Sport Suds and it's great. My SO is an avid cyclist so you can imagine the lovely scent of those bike shorts. It works!

I hang my breeches up inside out and give them a shot of Febreeze if I wear them more than once. I admit to recycling if it wasn't a particularly demanding ride

Comment

ditto on the front load issue - it might be all your clothes are smelling musty, but it's the sweat effect that makes you notice the smell. I keep a towel over the door so it doesn't close all the way and I pull open the door that you load th edetergent in - gives it another place to air out. Also 1xmonth or so I do a clean cycle with bleach (or "affresh"). My front loader actually has a "clean washer" cycle which seems to use more water, but I bet a heavy duty/extra rinse cycle would work too.

And of course nothing beats vinegar for getting out odor!
                      Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

If you really are about to throw them out, I would put a little bleach in the wash with them. My area of the country is basically like living in a steam room for most of the year, so my riding clothes get very very sweaty. I use bleach on colored clothing frequently and have not had a fading issue. Pick your least favorite pair to try it with and go from there.

Comment

• Original Poster

As far as the front loader, we have the washing machine cleaner, and we run that solution through the cycle a couple of times a month, just to make sure there is nothing stuck in the washer. We even replaced the rubber tub seal to make sure nothing was stuck in there, so I don't think it is that.

So should I just throw the vinegar in where the detergent would go? And then how do I get the baking soda in there?

Might have to try and borrow someone's top loader to do a soak load....

Comment

The front loders are a pain to keep fresh, since mine is in the "mud room" I prop it open.

Are you ure that your clothes are fully dry before folding/putting away? If there is any moisture trapped inside the weave of those heavy breeches when you put them away, you'll pay for it later.

I garee with the vinegar solution, it usually works, as does Lestoil. I have not tried OxyClean for stinky horse related stuff but will give it a try. It works on my son's dirty stinky day-camp clothes.
                            F O.B
                            Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
                            Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Comment

I always leave my washer door open while the load is drying and run it with bleach every month or so. Dilute the baking soda in water and pour in where the detergent goes before you add the detergent..

Comment

Put the smelly clothes in a bucket with a scoop of oxy clean and soak overnight. All of our workout clothes that are high performance fabrics hold onto the sweat smell. I usually soak a load of workout clothes every month or so. It seems to keep the smell at bay.

Comment

I used to have the nasty washer problem (common with front loaders). I was religious about leaving the door open, and I switched to a powdered detergent after I read that liquid can contribute to the problem. The smell diminished but didn't go away until I bought this product that I found online. I went through the first bottle pretty quickly, but I only used part of the second before I didn't have to use it anymore.

http://www.technofresh.net/index.html
                                  Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

I'll second sunlight - even leave them on the line for a few days.
                                    Downy has also come out with a new product - http://www.downy.com/en-US/product/u...les-fresh.jspx
                                    It isn't in all stores yet - it is that new. Wonder if it would help - and I think there are online coupons too
                                    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
                                    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
                                    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Totally agree with the suggestion of adding vinegar--I put it in the bleach compartment, or you could just put it in with the detergent. We have a front loader too and it works wonders when you add it to the Tide HE. We also keep the door open all the time between loads due to humidity.

ps. Vinegar also works great on my husband's sweaty golf gear and when there are "cigars with the boys"!
                                      "Orange is NOT the new Black."--President Barack Obama

Comment

You could just soak the breeches in the bathtub in vinegar, then move to the washing machine...
                                        Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Working...
                                        X