• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Need help/advice on how to ride my horse's trot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help/advice on how to ride my horse's trot

I just bought a new OTTB in January, and have just started riding him. What's the problem, you ask? His trot is so much bigger than I am used to and he's got some suspension to it, as well. My other horses had all been average movers with a decent stride length and had no suspension, and quite frankly, I do not recall ever riding a horse that moves like the new guy does.

I find my butt touching the saddle sooner than it should and I feel out of synch with him. I know lots of you out there ride big, fancy moving horses, so please share your advise and tips on learning to ride the "bigger" trot. TIA!

You are starting the "down" phase of your post early, and so you are coming down while he may still be on the "up" phase of his stride. This puts you behind the motion, and maybe in a chair seat, which will cause your horse to hollow his back and become bouncy in a bad way like a short stiff diving board instead of a soft bounce like a trampoline. Here are some things to try which can help you get in sinc with a longer, slower, BIGGER trot.

First make sure you are being very generous with the fwd part of your post. Really push your hips toward your hands on every rise. You need to get you pelvis forward to the balance point of your post, and make your posting 'stroke' bigger and longer to match your horse's longer stride. Think of "kneeling" into the post on the rise, keeping your knees and thighs pointing forward, not out. Transfer your weight to the fronts of your thighs on the up, do not post off the stirrup (this also puts you behind the motion).

Don't worry about looking exaggerated. You will possibly feel like it is "too much", but get online and look at some European jumper riders rising the trot on their very athletic horses. You will know it is not too much if you come down in better timing and land softer because of it.

On the down part of the post, try to land up towards the pommel, not towards the cantle ( which will tend to happen if you are "behind" your horse's big motion). make sure you don't collapse your front back and in anywhere: Chest or tummy. This will make you too soft to get a good clear boost from your horse for the up swing.

A good exercise: 8 strides two point, 8 strides (new type of) posting. Repeat about a thousand times. the two point gets you in balance and with the motion, then you do some posting strides focusing on the above and NOT FALLING BACK to start the post.

Hope this helps! Have fun with what sounds like a nice athletic horse!

Comment

My trainer helped me with posting, by telling me to "post slower." If you can try to hold yourself out of the tack a tiny bit longer than you want to, that will help. Really say it in your head, "post slooooweeeeerrr." Also, try to do an "Up, up, sit" type of exercise. You will stand two beats up, and sit one, or the alternate- "Sit, sit, up." That helps me feel the horses trot, as well. But, I do find the thinking "slower posting" to help quite a bit.

Good luck, sounds like you have yourself a fun horse to ride! :-)
      "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Comment

Big Trot

This trot is called a Sewing Machine. My horse has one too! He is not an OTTB, but he is a TB.

All I can say is, practice, practice, practice. At first, I felt like I was riding a jackhammer and I was soooo not used to that. I also have a Trakehner that has the most dreamy trot and canter. Needless to say, I had a LOT of adjusting to do.

I always felt as if I was getting launched out of the tack and then I would have a hard time finding the rhythm to keep up with it. Also, my horse was green, so his trot went like this: Fast, fast, Bouncy, slow, Fast, Slow, Bouncy, Slow, fast. Key word here is erratic!

Eventually, I conquered the Sewing Machine, but I did not do it alone. I had a trainer give me lessons on the Sewing Machine and I found that using a lot of leg to hand was the best way to learn to ride. I found that I had the best success using a steady leg aid, with contact, of course, and then half halting when it got to be too much.

The leg kept him moving forward and stretching out, instead of just going up and down. My trainer had to constantly remind me to be sure to sit up extra straight and tall so that I could sit deep and slow the trot some with my seat. Then, I used the half halt to slow the trot if it got too quick. Eventually, he relaxed and it became an actual trot!

Maybe some of those with experience with the OTTB's can chime in here. That is my two cents. Good Luck!
        ALP
        "The Prince" aka Front Row
        Cavalier Manor

Comment

You must have bought the horse that I DIDN"T!!! A few months ago a woman brought a gorgeous, 17 hand TB here in hopes of trading him for one of my "trail/hunt" horses. I watched the woman struggle with his trot, then I put my tack on him and mounted. On soft, huntery contact I picked up an "ez" trot on the long side of my ring. Before I reached the end of the ring I was sure I was going to fall off!! (I've only been riding for 55+ years!) My first thought was there must be something wrong with me..my tack...the footing. Nope. This horse's feet touched the ground and he literally sprung into the air with each step like he had coil springs on each foot!! I have never ridden a horse like that!! Needless to say I opted out of a trade!! Good Luck with your project!!
          www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
          Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

My TB has a big trot, and what makes it so hard is most likely what gets you - he has a TON of side-to-side in his trot as far as movement in his back goes, not just the up-down undulation any of the bigger moving warmbloods I've ridden had. It's the hardest trot I've ever tried to ride once he started to loosen up his back.

I think you've gotten a lot of good advice so far. I come from hunter/eq land, and felt like my posting was ENORMOUS and must look horribly stupid to keep with him. Eventually I built the right muscles (start core exercises now - you will need them!) to be able to post more slowly and smaller, but even the huge post didn't look nearly as ridiculous as it felt.

Most of all - have fun! Sounds like you got yourself a very fun guy!

Originally posted by LoveJubal View Post
            This trot is called a Sewing Machine. My horse has one too! He is not an OTTB, but he is a TB.

All I can say is, practice, practice, practice. At first, I felt like I was riding a jackhammer and I was soooo not used to that. I also have a Trakehner that has the most dreamy trot and canter. Needless to say, I had a LOT of adjusting to do.

I always felt as if I was getting launched out of the tack and then I would have a hard time finding the rhythm to keep up with it. Also, my horse was green, so his trot went like this: Fast, fast, Bouncy, slow, Fast, Slow, Bouncy, Slow, fast. Key word here is erratic!

Eventually, I conquered the Sewing Machine, but I did not do it alone. I had a trainer give me lessons on the Sewing Machine and I found that using a lot of leg to hand was the best way to learn to ride. I found that I had the best success using a steady leg aid, with contact, of course, and then half halting when it got to be too much.

The leg kept him moving forward and stretching out, instead of just going up and down. My trainer had to constantly remind me to be sure to sit up extra straight and tall so that I could sit deep and slow the trot some with my seat. Then, I used the half halt to slow the trot if it got too quick. Eventually, he relaxed and it became an actual trot!

Maybe some of those with experience with the OTTB's can chime in here. That is my two cents. Good Luck!
            A sewing machine trot is the exact opposite of a big trot. It is short-strided, fast-strided, up and down. Totally uncomfortable, but in a different way altogether.
            Originally posted by Silverbridge
            If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

Working...
            X