• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

back on track blanket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back on track blanket

Has anyone used one of these? I was having a discussion with my horse's chiropractor yesterday and she thought magnets would help my guy. Of course, I don't want to invest another $300 into a product that MIGHT not work. I don't know anyone who has one that i could borrow, so I thought I would throw it out here. Any opinions on these?
    Last edited by myalter1; Mar. 16, 2012, 11:11 AM.

Back on Track uses ceramic fibers not magnets. I love all their products.
    McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Laurierace is correct, BOT products are not magnetic, they use ceramic fibers. Do a search, they have been discussed frequently with quite a few people feeling they are very beneficial.

Comment

Great Investment

I was lucky enough to find a great deal at Equine Affaire on a BOT blanket which has helped my horse be more comfortable and loose through his shoulders, back and hind quarters.

I also purchased the BOT bell boots that have helped his front feet stay more comfortable in between jumping sessions.

BOT products help my dog too!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by kafesoap View Post
          I was lucky enough to find a great deal at Equine Affaire on a BOT blanket which has helped my horse be more comfortable and loose through his shoulders, back and hind quarters.
          This is what i was looking for in a product for my horse. I am sorry for my uneducated first post (re: magnets/ceramics). I did read up on the BOT website after i posted. I was hoping I could find one to borrow to see if it works.

Kafesoap - do you use the blanket before you ride? How long do you leave it on?

thanks

Comment

Worth the money!

I have a cold-backed mare who is extremely ugly (will rip at the cross ties with ears pinned back) when you tighten her girth. If she wears her BOT sheet for a few hours before we ride, she doesn't budge.

The only thing that I didn't notice a HUGE difference after using was the hock wraps. Everything else, was money very well spent.

Comment

• Original Poster

Really.. that's cool. I am wondering, though, since I board, would it have an effect if I put it on for about 20 minutes or a half hour before I ride? My BO is great, but I don't think I could ask her to put the BOT blanket on my horse every day at 3 PM. LOL

Comment

Mine wears his after work. We tried using it before and while first walking around to warm up but he throws such a fit when we go to take it off that it gets him in a grumpy frame of mind at the start of his work it wasn't worth it.

He does not throw a temper tantrum if he is wearing his wool dress sheet when it is removed .

He seems to enjoy the BOT and hangs out in his stall wearing it, probably for a minimum of a half an hour to an hour or so after work.

Comment

If you do get one make sure it is the mesh sheet. It isn't quite as light as a fly sheet but you can use it in warmer temps than the regular sheet.
                  McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

I use one- I put it on before and after if time allows; I think I see a difference- one can leave it on for up to three hours or even all day if you do it gradually- many people use them at shows in our area- (PNW) I use the people glove not sure if it works but I sue it anyway- can't hurt and my hand does not seems as stiff-Ileave it on all night- (broke hand)

Comment

I've never used BOT blankets, but I did used to use a cheapo magnetic blanket I picked up from SStack. I do think it helped my guy with his issues...until someone turned him out while wearing it and another horse shredded it.

It had little magnets sewn over the back and major muscle groups, and looked like a fly sheet.

Comment

the BOT mechanism- reflecting infrared heat from the ceramic fibers back to the sore area- makes a lot of sense, and can be very helpful to some horses, depending on what is wrong with them.
                        The magnets do not. They can't possibly be strong enough to affect the horse. The massive magnetic fields generated by MRI machines have no real effect on biological organisms. A magnet that powerful in a horse blanket would have a real detrimental effect on anything near the blanket- metal stuff flying from all over to stick to the blanket- and would have a detrimental effect on the occupant of the blanket, who would be injured by all of the metal stuff flying into him at high velocity.

Comment

Originally posted by myalter1 View Post
                          Really.. that's cool. I am wondering, though, since I board, would it have an effect if I put it on for about 20 minutes or a half hour before I ride? My BO is great, but I don't think I could ask her to put the BOT blanket on my horse every day at 3 PM. LOL
                          My guys are out 24/7, so I usually can only put it on for a few mins before i ride. And I do notice a small difference if it's only on for the time it takes me to groom/ tack up. I have the saddle pad and the quarter sheet and so if I tack up and have those on for a long-ish warm up, they do get looser sooner.

Comment

I have the mesh sheet, and my guy can be a bit touchy and stiff in the SI area in extremely cold weather and takes a LONG time to warm up. I put it on in the trailer before we head somewhere (approx a 30 minute trailer ride) and voila - I pull him out and he's warmed up in half the time it would normally take.

I'm planning on buying the quarter sheet for next year. I don't have any use for the saddle pads, but I do love my mesh sheet and the wraps!

Oh, and we have the BoT dog bed, and all four of our furry kids (two dogs, two cats) fight about who gets to lay on it.
                            "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Comment

• Original Poster

[QUOTE=eventer_mi;6198845]I have the mesh sheet, and my guy can be a bit touchy and stiff in the SI area in extremely cold weather and takes a LONG time to warm up. I put it on in the trailer before we head somewhere (approx a 30 minute trailer ride) and voila - I pull him out and he's warmed up in half the time it would normally take. /QUOTE]

MY OTTB has been having chiro adjustments just about every 2 weeks since January due to SI issues. Stifles were injected last week and when the chiro came out this week we were talking about alternative therapies. I am going to try my friend's BOT pad today and see what I think. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy the mesh sheet. It sounds like it will really help

Comment

myalter1 - I use it before and after I ride. I try to put it on about an hour before I ride. I use it as a cooler as long as my horse is not shedding too much to get it hairy! I then leave it on during my cool down and use it again as a cooler when I am fussing with my horse before I put him to bed.

I shipped with it to a horse show right after i got it - in November - and I have to say my guy was full of himself when he got off the truck but in a good way. Back was way up and he was prancing about because he felt very good!

I also have been having some SI and back issues due to my favorite subject when it comes to my horse - poor saddle fit! The compensation my guy was enduring to tolerate his poorly fitting saddle caused a heap of problems in his shoulders, back and hind quarters. The BOT is helping us work through them and keep sore back days at bay.

I have heard many people recommend the lighter sheet as you can use it year round. I went for the blanket because it was on sale and will probably invest in the 3'x3' blanket for the warmer months for my guys back.

Comment

My coach has the small blanket-y thing (the 3' x 3' I think?) and the hock wraps. I have borrowed the blanket for my mare who was having some back issues this winter, and despite only having it on during grooming/tacking up, I did notice she was less stiff and warmed up quicker. I would've tried to leave it on during warm up except I don't know if there's a way to attach it, and she gets pissy having things on when I ride If you are looking to save $$$, I would say the 3' x 3' does a good job if you can't have someone put a full blanket on before you get there!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuesday's Child View Post
                                    My coach has the small blanket-y thing (the 3' x 3' I think?) and the hock wraps. I have borrowed the blanket for my mare who was having some back issues this winter, and despite only having it on during grooming/tacking up, I did notice she was less stiff and warmed up quicker. I would've tried to leave it on during warm up except I don't know if there's a way to attach it, and she gets pissy having things on when I ride If you are looking to save $$$, I would say the 3' x 3' does a good job if you can't have someone put a full blanket on before you get there!
                                    And the bonus of the 3'x3 is that it is just so much easier to share with your horse than a bulkier sheet (fits on a car seat beautifully). I wish I were kidding, but honestly, the way the BOT works on me makes me a believer for the horses (besides stealing the square thing constantly, I have my own neck wrap and socks). The pad thing we have has a channel for an elastic surcingle, and some d rings, so it is pretty multipurpose in that you can layer it and whatnot. And as others have said, it does indeed work even if they can't wear it for ages.

And a word on the magnetic subject....my workplace has a magnetic blanket by Respond Systems. It has a battery pack and magnetic coils, so I think it is like a pulsed magnet type thing, rather than just regular magnets that sit on them like in cheaper blankets. Honestly, I haven't done much actual research on it. What I did was (since we owned it anyhow) start using it regularly on a horse who we got in that showed some back sensitivity and soreness. I really did notice a difference in his comfort level, both after individual applications and overall with continued use. Then I also used it on a big youngster who, while sound and not obviously sore, I suspected was having some "growing pains" as his workload increased. I thought he was happier and looser going to work after that. I now am a real believer in it, and will be making the effort to drag it out (downfall is it's heavy!) and thow it on anything I think might benefit. The downfall for anyone not already owning one....I just googled the price
                                    http://www.respondsystems.com/store/...D=&SKU=BPB3000

Comment

Working...
                                    X