• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Longest Your Horses Have Gone Without Turnout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longest Your Horses Have Gone Without Turnout

Out of curiosity, other than for an injury requiring stall rest, what is the longest any of your horses have been kept inside at a stretch? As in, kept in due to weather conditions, ground conditions...that sort of thing.

Also, for those of you who turn out regardless of weather, mud, ice, etc., have your horses sustained injuries as a result of the turnout conditions?

Finally, for those of you who do not turn out in mud, ice, rain, snow, etc. and therefore end up with horses kept inside for long periods of time, do you believe your horses have sustained injuries or suffered unsoundnesses (mental or physical) as a result of the lack of turnout?

I remember a couple years ago we had really bad ice and it was down right dangerous for the horses to go out. I think they were in for about a week or maybe more. They took it fine, but most of them are retired show horses and they are used to being in a stall a lot. I had a couple younger ones and it was a little more difficult for them. I do have one very small paddock right off the barn so I worked to make that safe first (breaking up the ice) so I had something! Mine are in at night and out all day depending on weather. Some of the old guys seem to really enjoy staying in on rain days!

Comment

Since I had horses for about 20 years straight and never turned them out as there was no turnout available (So Cal and So Tex)? And know there are many barns in Europe and other continents where they do not have turn out? Can't say that there is a direct connection between lack of turnout and injury/unsoundnes in a properly managed animal

When I moved East where there was turnout, I saw more injuries from pasture play, fence encounters, twisting legs, trip and fall, and snow over ice and rough ground then in stall bound horses kept in regular work including handwalking daily in addition to schooling/hacking. The ONLY serious leg injuries mine ever had were one suspensory in an icy field and a DDFT when out 12 hrs a day one fine late spring day on dry ground. And there was one compound fracture on a friends that lived out.

I have seen those in regular work suddenly having to stop and be confined to the stall. Those did risk further injury so were medicated during the strict stall rest period.
      When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

The only time we kept in was from ice, but it was never more than 2 or 3 days. I've never seen any injuries directly related from any other weather conditions.
        Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
        My equine soulmate
        Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

Up to about a week and a half to two weeks due to either weather or horse showing.

Not ideal, but everyone survived.

Comment

Up to three weeks for bad footing/weather. Never had a problem because of that.

I have had an abscess and a heel bruise from shoes pulled in bad turnout footing.

Comment

My ponies at home do not go out over the winter, other than some exceptions, being: no snow (won't turn out in show - you never know what's under there), no ice, ground is not too hard, no mud. Living in New York, days like this during the winter and surrounding weeks rarely ever happen.
              I also won't turn out in any other season in mud.
              None of them seem to mind. On the days that they do go out, I put them out in the AM after they eat, and let them stay out as long as they like. As of right now, they haven't been out for around 5 weeks. They're hayed multiple times a day, fed grain 3x a day, and given supplements to make up for the lack of grass.

I have another horse (who we board) who hasn't been out in 4-5 months, and was probably kept in for over a year before I got him. When I bought him, we worked on turnout, but he just doesn't like it. Unless the conditions are pristine, he WILL run through or jump a fence in order to get back to the barn. So if it's too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, too muggy, too buggy, too rainy, too foggy, etc. he isn't happy being out. Since I've owned him, I can only remember one day that he was happy to be out, and stayed quiet in his pasture for 3-4 hours. IMO there's no sense risking him getting hurt outside, when he'd obviously rather be in the barn.

I have never had any injuries directly related to keeping my horses in, but have seen way too many happen outside for me to take the chance unless conditions are 100%.
              "It's hard to wait for something you know might not happen, but it's even harder to give up when you know it's everything you want."
              Blog | YouTube

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by findeight View Post
                Can't say that there is a direct connection between lack of turnout and injury/unsoundnes in a properly managed animal.
                Findeight - when you say there was no turnout in So Cal, etc., do you mean no "real" turnout (as in, not out in big fields), or do you mean the horses were never out of their stalls except for when attached to a leadline, lungeline, or being ridden? No small outdoor dry lot or anything?

Also, regarding the part of your post that I quoted above, I do think that being confined to a stall is really hard on their stifles and hind end generally (even with hand walking, and even when in full work). At least, I really noticed that with my horse when I was rehabbing him from a suspensory injury (9 months of no turnout). I think that sort of ruined his hind end in general, to be honest with you. He's never been the same behind since, and the suspensory injury was in the front.

Mine also goes completely NUTS in the stall (rearing, bucking, pawing), even when in full work (and behaving great while ridden) when kept with no turnout of any kind at all for long periods. Turning him out for even a half hour a day, even in a rehab sized paddock, seems to "fix" him mentally. Hand grazing also goes a long way, but he will still screw around bucking and rearing in his stall to the point that I worry a lot about him injuring himself in the stall.

Thanks for your input (and thanks to others who have responded so far)...it's something I have been thinking a lot about lately. There is obviously a chance that they can get injured either way...as you said, you had one with a tendon injury on dry ground with 12 hours of turnout a day. I know of plenty that get hurt while being ridden, sometimes engaging in antics related to not having been turned out, sometimes doing nothing out of the ordinary at all.

I can see a lot of real risks with ice, for sure. Have known a few that had to be put down after slipping on ice. Especially curious about people's experiences with mud...

Comment

My horses live out 24/7, but have access to a large tractor barn if they want to get shelter. (or at past barns, have had access to at least a small run-in).

They are never stalled for weather. In winter, if it's freezing/snowing/raining/super windy, they get the appropriate blanket. In summer, if it's super hot, I hose them and put fans up for them.

I put mine in for a few nights when they had scratches and I wanted to wrap them. One ended up very stocked up. That cant be good for em.

In 20 years of horse ownership, I've never once had an injury in turnout. (i've seen boarders, BO's, BM's etc have horses injured in turnout AFTER they've been stalled for long-ish periods of time).

K, im gonna go knock on wood now.....
                  Last edited by AliCat518; Mar. 14, 2012, 02:23 PM. Reason: adding on
                  Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
                  White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by AliCat518 View Post
                    (i've seen boarders, BO's, BM's etc have horses injured in turnout AFTER they've been stalled for long-ish periods of time).
                    This is the part that scares me. If horses stay in for long periods of time and then go out, I feel like it is similar to lighting their tails on fire and telling them to have at it. When mine came off of the 9 months of no turnout, we were very careful reintroducing him to being out again. I always rode him before he went out, we waited until the footing was perfect, he went out in a small space, and he was sedated the first few times back out. If they are kept in for long periods and then go out again without all of the aforementioned precautions...that terrifies me. A lot.

Comment

Horse is out as much as he likes - Gets brought in when weather is nasty at night. The longest he's been in is a couple of days.

We turn out in snow, rain, heat, wind, etc. They are used to the elements and therefore do not act silly. Even in snow, they will usually walk carefully to the nearest hay pile.

I've never had an injury for turn-out, knock on wood. Most turn-out injuries seem to happen when turning out after a long time being confined to a stall.

Evolution has created horses that are used to moving all day. Although I have no problem with stalling, I feel my horse is happier and healthier when he is allowed to be turned out. It gives him a break from work.

Plus.. standing in a 12x12 or 12 x14 box for days on end has got to be boring..

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh, and just FYI, I posted this in the H/J forum because I'm specifically interested in turnout practices for H/J horses (though will take input from anyone interested in giving it! ).

Comment

The horses I've ridden have always had ample turnout, and turnout is one if the single biggest factors when I decide where to board my mare. As such, I can't really comment on the advantages/disadvantages to having a horse inside... except to say that I've never witnessed anything more than a minor injury in a horse directly related to turn out - and those minor injuries are usually inflicted by herd mates (*knock wood*).

However I WILL say that I've seen some unfortunate injuries when it comes to foals who do not receive any/sufficient turn out. With the babies not being able to get outside, stretch their legs, and really use and develop themselves properly, I've seen some sad injuries where they just don't stand up to the work of a riding horse, and their under saddle career is over before they even get into double digits.

Comment

Usually there are a few times each winter where the horses stay in for a few days. All the horses get some time in the arena though, plus riding.

I have seen horses fall in bad footing and sustain injuries so I dont like to risk it. plus, my horse just stands at the gate waiting to come back inside whenever we have bad weather anyways so I dont feel bad for keeping her in her box.

Comment

My horse lives out 24/7 with a run-in barn type shelter to go into if he wants. The only time he's inside would be at a show.

Like AliCat, blankets when it's cold, etc.

The worst turnout injury he's had was a nasty scrape on his leg that healed up quickly.

Comment

when you say there was no turnout in So Cal, etc., do you mean no "real" turnout (as in, not out in big fields), or do you mean the horses were never out of their stalls except for when attached to a leadline, lungeline, or being ridden? No small outdoor dry lot or anything?
                                I'm not findeight...but lots of barns in congested areas, urban areas, etc have different stalls than other places. Common is 12x24...half of that with a roof, sometimes walls and the other half open-air. So not really what other areas would term small turnout, but it's much larger than just a stall. These types of places often have day-care type arrangements where someone takes the horse out for a short turnout in a larger area or longe it, etc.

If you're compiling info on turnout for any reason, having the location and type of area of each post might be a big help. And also what each persons' normal turnout amount is. And home vs boarding.

I'm in CT. We have a little of all kinds of turnout, from double stalls like in CA to 24/7 to everything in between. Dry turnouts and grass turnouts depending on area and age of property. (older places more often have more grass due it taking a long while and costing a whole lot to turn heavy woods into open fields, LOL)

The most my horses have been in has been 48 hours. Due to a very heavy sheet of ice covering the entire turnout. That was unusual as heck for me because although we get ice on a regular basis, I just break it up with the tractor and then turn out. We don't normally have weather where the weather itself lasts more than 24-36 hours. Even Nor'Easters blow out by then. That one time the sheet of ice didn't break even if hit with the tractor bucket. Weight of tractor didn't do squat. Took a couple days of sun to soften it enough for the tractor to smash it up and scrape it off.

My horses are home, I normally turn them out all daylight hours and in at dark. In bad/nasty weather I let the horses decide...I turn them out and put some hay outside and if they come back in and stand in front of the stalls I let them back in.

When I boarded, the last place the owner would turn them out pair by pair (same pair that shared turnouts together) into the riding ring so they could blow off some steam while he cleaned the stalls. Each pair got left out 30 minutes each. The place before that didn't turn out of the grass paddocks were soft, but he'd clean the stalls multiple times per day and after a couple days would turn them out one by one in a small dirt paddock for a short while.

Over the years I've known horses who've gotten injured in turn out and in stalls. Sometimes from too much of one or the other, mostly because horses are accident prone animals that can cause themselves catastrophic injury on a pillow. We love them and think them noble...but in reality they're not the brightest bulb in the box. Mother Nature intended them as food, not longevity. She gave them speed, not brains.
                                You jump in the saddle,
                                Hold onto the bridle!
                                Jump in the line!
                                ...Belefonte

Comment

At my barn (which is entry level dressage, hunter and jumper) the horses mostly live outside, but the inside horses go out regardless of the weather. If it gets icey out, I make sure the more active ones get to come in to play in the arena a bit as they tend not to want to run outside.

Previous barn wouldn't turn out if it was wet and would ruin the grass. Horses did get nutty when finally back out, but one nice thing is the horses had a pretty long walk to the turn out, so they were at least "warmed up" by the time they got let loose.

Friends who ride at a BNT's barn have small pens for turn out and the "good" horses go out rarely and only for short periods when the weather is nice and the footing dry. The manager finds the horses do hurt themselves more when they are turned out, and would rather just have staff longe or hand walk them. I don't think mental soundness is taken into account, and I imagine a horse is more likely to hurt itself trying to play in a 50foot pen than in a larger area.
                                  Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Currently, my horse goes out every day unless there is lightning or a blizzard. Seriously, her t/o instructions say just that It's about 9 hours/day of turnout in the fall/winter/spring, and in the summer when they switch to night turnout it's about 12 hours of turnout. I am a BIG fan of turnout for the horse's well being, but we have huge beautiful pastures that tend to not get too torn up when it's wet, and there is a large run-in for protection if the horses actually decide to go in there. The horses here are generally healthy, sane, and sound!

The barn I boarded at previously kept horses in whenever the weather was the tiniest bit inclement...i.e. a single drop of rain, too much wind, temperatures below 35, etc., so it was not unusual for my horse to go 5 days without turnout. This barn also used small, small, small paddocks from late fall to mid spring so that the grass in the fields wouldn't get torn up. Needless to say, the paddocks were atrocious, overcrowded, mud pits and the horses just stood at the gates. For my horse personally (an OTTB), the injury she sustained from it was a result of having too much energy from lack of adequate turnout- I had to longe her forever to get the yahoos out before I got on, so she ended up with a soft tissue injury. I didn't stick around long enough to find out what other injuries could occur!

The barn I boarded at when I was younger and had a nice horse with a show career had very limited turnout, and most horses did not go out every day. Priority was given to the owner's horses, then preferred boarders, then other boarders, then lesson horses. I knew this going in and still moved my horse there for the level of instruction and other amenities. My horse was a "preferred boarder" and went out on average about 3-4 hours every other day (occasionally back to back days) in pleasant weather only, when not away at a show. He ended up with ringbone and navicular at age 9 (4 years later). To this day, horses at that barn are plagued with suspensory issues, navicular problems, and lots of colic. It could just be because they are working harder and showing regularly, but I suspect the lack of turnout has a lot to do with it.

Comment

The longest stretch at my current barn was 3 days because there was ice on the drive that led to the pastures. Even then, every horse was handwalked twice a day, for 20 mins to stretch.

I think horses that are used to being turned out are fine, and horses that are used to being in for long stretches are fine. Horses like routines, and once the figure out their routine, most settle in to it well. I think it's when they're schedule gets disrupted (ie in for 5-10 days when they've been out for 12 hours a day for a few months) is when problems start. I've known quite a few horses to be let out after an unusualy long period in who have been complete idiots and hurt themselves. Again 'unusualy long' is relative term.

Comment

Usually the longest is less than a week although there have been a couple 2 week stretches (horse shows) over the years.

The horse shows are less of an issue, because if mine is staying the entire two weeks it's probably because he is doing the pro and ammy divisions. If it was just one or the other, I'd bring him home and if they are doing both and getting all the hacking, exercise, showing at a show, turn out when they get home isn't much of an issue. The moment of "oh god please don't break/tear anything!" is usually reserved for that first turnout after 3-4 days winter storms + cold weather + horse that hasn't even been ridden (see weather issue).

However in all the years I've been dealing with that plus "crazy TBs" I have either been very lucky or much more likely (as I am not that lucky), a horse that gets regular turnout is more capable of dealing with turnout rambunctiousness than one who is intermittently turned out or bought in as soon as he starts playing.

I also think there is a lot to be said for the flexibility and "stretchiness" of soft tissues in a horse that spends a lot of time out. Just like any one of us, we know there is a point where we stop stretching soft tissues and start tearing them. That point is a lot sooner if you sit at a PC all day then get up and run around the block without warming up. It's kind of a no duh moment that the person who spends all day walking and moving can do that same running around the block and be far less likely to come back limping. But somehow we don't see that a horse who lives the same couch potato existence - standing in a stall 20 hours, turned out for 3 hours and ridden for 1 hour (if it's a really hard work day) is no where near as flexible as the horse who is turned out for 8/12/24 hours just walking even if he isn't ridden an hour a day (caveat - there are some upper level stalled horses that do not get turnout but have an entirely different work program than our not upper level horses and this logic probably doesn't apply to that situation).
                                        Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Working...
                                        X