• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What CAN you live with at your barn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What CAN you live with at your barn

I live in a small area with few choices in boarding barns. I am at a nice new facility. The pros about this barn are it is new, there is lots of turnout, the hay is excellent quality square bales, the fencing is safe, my coach is welcome, and there are only a few boarders who are all very nice. Cons are I have to buy extra bedding and feed on top of the most expensive board in the area. Other barns in my area have serious drawbacks that I absolutely can't live with (unsafe fencing, limited turnout, inexperienced staff, and I am not a fan of round bales). I want to get others opinions.....what drawbacks CAN you live with for an otherwise nice facility?

That barn i am at right now is the samevway. Nice, new, great people and trainer, great care. Except the barn is pricey but no extra for any fed my horse is the fattest he has ever been. The drawback i Can live with is the distance the barn is from my house. Its about 40 mins which gets annoying but i love everything else too much to leave
    Weekends are for horse shows
    and Fridays are for lessons

Comment

I can live with a facility that isn't fancy or new. I pay on the high end for board. The facility has an indoor, etc. but the previous owner let the place run down. The new owners have made things safe, but are working on other stuff as they go along.

What I'm most concerned with is the level of care.

What the new owners do provide is excellent quality hay/grain; experienced, friendly help; clean, dry stalls; meds/supps given as directed; bed checks that are actually done(!); and a place where open, honest communication is welcomed.

For me, peace of mind is a lot more important than a perfectly manicured lawn or fancy lounge.

As an added bonus, the barn is only 20 minutes from my house...the closest my horses have ever been except when they were at home!

Comment

I've given this a lot of thought since I've purchased my gelding, as I've decided whether or not the place I have him at it where I want to stay long-term.

Pros: partial care (I really like being able to take part in my horse's care, being hands on, plus the lower cost. It's a con for some, for me it's a pro); location - only five minutes from work, ten minutes from home; areas to ride - indoor, outdoor, trail, field in the summer; summer turnout - decent sized turnout in the late-spring to fall seasons; good sized stalls; wash-rack; area for storage (though not large); VERY family like atmosphere - people are close, helpful, very cooperative with each other.

Cons: partial care does not include any part of turnout (you must arrange to do this yourself or work together with other boarders, etc. It ends up being workable, but can be frustrating); winter turnout - limited to mud paddocks which are VERY difficult to navigate; Small management/staff means things don't always get fixed in a timely manner, though it does seem like an attempt gets made; the family atmosphere can get TOO close - people who are judgemental or catty.

Overall, I can deal with the cons and I think the pros far outweigh them. There are few options within a thirty minute drive for me and the two closest barns other than the one I'm at have MUCH worse turnout and other issues that make them non-options for me. I feel very much at home at my current barn and I keep in mind that no place is perfect, you just have to find what works for you.

Comment

One thing i can not do is drama or catty people. The barn and my horse is my get away from stress in life and drama at the barn is something i definitely can't do.
          Weekends are for horse shows
          and Fridays are for lessons

Comment

I don't own or board, but pretending I did own the current horse i ride, this is how I feel.
            My barn is 40ish miles from my house, all highway/country roads (55 mph), so it takes like 30 minutes (if I don't go out of my way for coffee... But I usually do, so add on another 15mins). There's a really nice facility about 25 miles away from my house with an instructor that my trainer has recommended in the past. That facility is pretty darn nice and has trails, too.
            If I were to buy this horse, would I move him- to that place or any other? Probably not.
            My trainer's barn isn't fancy. There isn't a wash stall or covered arena, and not much riding outside of the (smaller) arena. But the horses usually get 12 hours of turnout, which this boy needs. His hooves and weight have been great, and i know he's a sensitive type. He gets semi private turnout, either with his gelding buddy or by himself. The stalls, while not fancy, are huge- 12x16 or so. My trainer is a great balance of hardass and patient, and she has a firm understanding of the physics and biomechanics for horse and rider. She challenges all her riders, but her approach is different depending on the kid and their goals. The atmosphere is relaxed and homey and i think her rates are reasonable.

If I could wave a magic wand, I would like trails or (hey why not) cross country type obstacles. It'd be nice to have a bigger arena, but this one really makes you ride every stride and now that I'm used to it I don't think about it.
            The last barn I was in was POSH, and my goodness would I love to have some of those amenities (the barn apartment with refrigerator access and use of the bathroom and shower, aaah)... But the personalities involved... Not so much. It was OK then (just shrugging off the wackadoodles and riding at quiet times) but I wouldn't leave this current place and trainer to go back to a pretty barn.

Probably the only other place I'd board around here is at a co-op just down the road where a friend and fellow cother boards, but id have to consider the travel time from my house, especially if/since horsey wouldn't be in full training (having to make the drive more often) plus bringing in my outside trainer and how much the fees would increase that way.

Comment

One thing I've recently decided I absolutely can't live with is an almost complete lack of turnout! As in, I believe the horse has been out twice in the last month (and I know for sure has only been out once in the last 12 days). But I'm not bitter or anything...I LOVE practicing my rodeo bronc skills!

But I CAN live with a lot as long as the care is good and I feel that the people taking care of my horse have good judgment and his best interests at heart.

Comment

I can live without hot water, have for years.
                COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

I can deal with everything except for less than stellar horse care, and putting the animals first. (this means feed, cleanliness, attention to detail, safe fencing, fresh water, adequate turnout etc).

Cattiness, drama, no hot water, not super fancy etc don't bother me.

Luckily I have my own place so don't have to worry

Comment

indenting paragraphs so text didn't look like a massive blob

As long as my horse is safe, happy, well cared for, and well looked out for when I'm not there, I can put up with a lot. At the barn where my trainer and her students used to board, the manager was always trying to find new ways to push my trainer out-whether it was ring fees, even for owners; lessons allowed only on 2 certain days of the week; limit to number of children under a certain age on those days, etc. But the horses were fed, stalls were clean, pastures maintained. It was a pain in the butt, but it was better for the horses than some other options around us.
                    We're at a much better barn now. It's farther away and doesn't have an indoor, but I don't think I've seen such a group of fat and happy horses.
                    My other horse, whose sole job is bossing around snarky two year olds in the field, lives way far away, because she's at a place where she's getting wonderful care. The owner is the most knowledgeable horse person I know. She got my horse from an underweight and under-muscled mess to a fat and happy sassy mare who at age 13 and 17+ hands gallops around the fields barefoot, when before she had to have stripper platform shoes. Even though I wish my horse was closer so that I could see her more, I know it's better for her to be somewhere where she's well taken care of
                    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know-it-alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
                    Titania: 50% horse, 50% hippo
                    Unforgetable: torn between jumping and nap time, bad speller

Comment

I have kept my horses at home for the last 30 years. But if I boarded out I would demand the following: Good HAY!!--You can skip all the fancy supplements if you feed good quality hay--clean water--no dirty waterers or stock tanks--turnout!!!! And an indoor arena!!!! (I live in Colorado) I show on the "A" circut and most of the shows we attend are within about 1 hr drive (highway) from my house. I no longer even consider a stall. My show hunters tie to the trailer. When I am done with their classes the reward is to be turned out when we get home at the end of the day!!. On a multi week show I really notice the difference between the horses who stay at the show grounds and mine who are on the road 2 hrs a day, but get to go home each night and roll!!

Comment

My horse lives 10 minutes from my house. But work is 30 minutes away to the south and horse is 10 minutes away to the east. She has her own paddock and lots of food. There is no barn. If I want jumps I will have to make them. Trainer 5 minute walk down the road has arena full of jumps, dressage arena, and xc jumps. The board is cheap. I eat many free dinners there and it is a wonderfully casual and fun environment. Much nicer than the place I once boarded with a BNT and rules up the yin yang (no turn out in arena, no jumping outside of lessons, horse can't roll in arena, and no drinking). Love my where I am at where horsie can race around the arena (does it all the time and in 4 years, not one injury), she can roll to her hearts content after a work out, a beer is OK, and I can jump to my hearts content OUTSIDE of lessons!!! Yay. I am a happy girl and so is horsie!

Comment

After all the years in boarding barns, I learned to live with just paying a little more for full service. I can live with just about anything IF I trust them to properly care for the horse when I cannot be there. And I can deal with little or no turn out since I went my first 20 years as an owner without it-long as there are alternatives I can trust them to do.

Anybody with career and/or family demands needs to really consider the "what ifs" of spending less and doing more yourself. The "what ifs" like I break a something, get sick, kid needs surgery, parents needs help etc. etc. can mean your horse just gets neglected in your absence (oh, friends? BTDT-twice. Ended friendship, don't count on that).

I gave up on partial or self care years ago. Mine was cared for and the one in the filthy stall next door was coughing up a lung on 3 shoes while the one on the other side belonged to a minimalist in horse care. They were not shy in helping themselves to my stuff either.

The rest? The drama, some catiness and such? Never drove me out of a barn.
                          When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

What I can live with: I can live with a not so fancy place but has good care. I can live without an attitude that I've relinquished nearly everything about owning a horse except for paying the bills.

Comment

I can live without a wash stall and I can live without hot water. Not my favorites, but I can (and currently do).

Comment

I can live without a place being super fancy as long as the horses get regular care and attention.

I don't need somebody grooming my horse everyday, but I want the barn manager/owner/care taker to be aware enough of my horse and their personality to know if something is wrong (lameness, colic, wounds, etc).

Stalls cleaned, fresh shavings as needed, clean water buckets, and decent hay.

Turnout: doesn't need to be grass but if there isn't grass then there should be round bales or adequate hay to keep them from scrounging on the ground.

Decent tack room is a pretty important part because I hate having stuff everywhere and having to carry my stuff all over the place.

Can't do without an indoor in Colorado, but did just fine without one in Florida

Comment

I absolutely cannot live without daily turnout. No, I don't mean 15 minutes in the indoor arena, alone, while his stall is cleaned. I mean several hours per day for my horse to socialize with others. He is a herd animal, and despite being worth a lot of money, and the fact that a lot injuries can happen while in turnout, I believe that lack of turnout is not only unnatural, but unhealthy and results in an unhappy animal.

I also don't believe there is ANY excuse whatsoever for a boarding facility, especially one you are paying $$$$ for to fail to provide your horse enough, or a good enough quality of feed. If your horse is eating an exorbitant amount of feed, and still skinny, then maybe a weight gain supplement is needed, and that can sometimes be a different story. However, if the issue is simply that they are being cheap and don't want to give him a reasonable amount of feed, I would conclude that they must not give a crap about your horse.

Basically the health and happiness of my horses come before my own needs. I could care less if there is no fancy lounge, if the barn is a little dirty or rundown, but I can't stand a miserable or unhealthy horse. It's not fair for us to decide that their needs can be sacraficed for our comfort or convenience.

Comment

Also...if you're paying for full care board, then why aren't they providing bedding? I actually own a boarding facility, and this stuff drives me crazy!

Comment

I absolutely cannot live without grass. It is for this reason that I will never move out west. I can semi live with large dry paddocks and grazing areas, but will spend extra on the place with managed, eatable, and safe grass turnout with real four board fencing.

I CAN, however, live with uneven stalls and an aged barn. I can live without neurotic grooms and stable managers. I can certainly live with a backyard barn feel.

Comment

I absolutely cannot live without 24/7 turnout access (so at least a stall with run attached if in at night) and at least several hours access to a larger field with decent grass during the spr/summer/fall. My current horse does not do well stalled for any more than a day or 2 so a barn with limited turnout is not an option for me. High quality grain and hay and access to good footing for flatwork/jumping whether it be a ring or field are both paramount too. I'll take a nice field over a facility with a beautiful ring but no trails as my horse needs to get out of the ring at least a few times a week. I can live without all the usual rider amenities if the above can be met.

Comment

Working...
                                        X