• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Hock Injections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hock Injections

My horse essentially has auto lead changes in one direction and then the other way he misses them behind often and then fixes after. He is naturally weaker in that direction as found in PPE. My trainer and I have both exhausted our resources I'm finding a hole in training and she believes now that it may be something physical. She suggests that hock injections may fix the problem almost instantaneously. (he's never taken a lame step)

I don't pretend to know a lot about hock injections but I am somewhat hesitant. Can someone enlighten me about them? What, exactly, are their function? Generally, how much do they cost? Once you start, how often do you have to do them? How long do you give them off after injections? My horse is only 8 so I'm afraid I'm starting a long career of needing all sorts of injections.

Thanks!

Talk to your vet and get x-rays to see if there's wear / damage to his hocks.

Comment

The way my vet described it was that after the initial injection the potency of each will only have to go up until eventually the horse may reach a level where the injection is no longer effective. So rather than giving a "full blown" concoction right off the bat, you give a baseline one and tinker a bit to see how that particular horse is going to respond to each prescribed injection. If you give the strongest injection right off the bat, there is no where to move up from there. Start low and build up to the stronger cocktail over a course of time.
      "Truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but, in the end, there it is." Sir Winston Churchhill

Comment

First of all, talk to your vet and get his/her opinion. I think injections can be very useful, but that's obviously something that your vet needs to decide (not just your trainer).

My 16-year-old mare gets injected twice a year. After injections, she is handwalked for 2 days, "turned out" on the third (I say that loosely because she hates turnout so it's more like I take her out, let her roll, and then hand graze her), and then back to normal work. That said, I don't jump her at home very often, so her normal work is mostly flatwork.
        http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
        Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

There is nothing about the "potency" needing to go up. You might have to do it more often, it might not last as long, it might not work as well, but it's still the same drugs. Arthritis progresses, which is what makes things not work (as well) over time. It's not that the drugs are losing effectiveness.

I agree - xrays are a must, as well as flexions. You have no idea at this point if it's his hock or his stifle or somewhere up higher. Is your saddle straight?

Just because you don't think it's training doesn't mean it's his hocks

Comment

Have you tried a chiropractor or a good muscle worker?
            Erin and
            Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

Comment

I agree with the others - consult with your vet and at a minimum get flexions of his hocks and stifles, and probably also x-rays of his hocks if you plan on injecting them.

Hock pain can certainly make them have difficulty with lead changes, but so can a lot of other things...including just not being very naturally adept at lead changes.

My last bill for lameness exam, hock injections, and x-rays (2 views) of one stifle (I had had hocks x-rayed previously...was double checking a stifle before spending money on another round of hock injections) was about $690. I use a fairly pricey vet clinic, but I love them, they have great digital x-ray equipment, etc. You can definitely get an exam, x-rays, and injections for cheaper...although injections are not necessarily something you want to use the bargain basement vet for...

My horse was able to go about 7 months between injections. He's a weenie about pain and started to get very resistant about working, and especially about picking up his right lead when he was "ready" for his hocks to be injected again. The injections do wear off at 6 months post-injection, but many horses can "tough it out" a bit better than mine and you can go up to a year between injections.

Comment

It could also be a soft tissue injury lower down that's a bit nagging or just uncomfortable. Do a lameness exam, etc. Also I would hope that your vet wouldn't just come out and inject without doing some sort of workup and evaluation just because you said he needed injections.

Comment

Originally posted by kmwines01 View Post
                  It could also be a soft tissue injury lower down that's a bit nagging or just uncomfortable. Do a lameness exam, etc. Also I would hope that your vet wouldn't just come out and inject without doing some sort of workup and evaluation just because you said he needed injections.
                  I would also hope that the vet would not just inject without doing a lameness exam, but I know of vets who will do just that if a trainer says the horse needs injections. It is terrifying!

I was once at a barn where practically the whole barn (minus my horse and a few others) were "mass injected" in one big group. A vet came in and injected hocks, stifles, etc. on the majority of horses. Several horses ended up having complications. The way I learned about the mass injection plan was that I was riding around the day before the injections were to occur and the assistant trainer casually said, "Oh, hey! Do you want your horse injected tomorrow?" Um, NO!

Anyway, OP, I would advise against using any vet who would inject your horse without first doing a lameness workup. While it should not happen, some vets will do it. You want to stay away from those vets, IMO.

Comment

Have you considered that it might be YOU that is causing the late change? I know that for my mare, her left to right change is harder. Why? The right lead is her weaker lead, as is mine. I tend to drop my right seatbone, and let my right leg swing and be weak, which unbalances her enough so that she will get a late change (like, a half step late) if I'm being lazy. :-)

I would NOT inject your horse's hock just because of a late change in one direction. I would bet it's something simple, like being weaker on that side. Something a good chiro/massage could help fix.
                    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Comment

• Original Poster

Of course I would discuss options with the vet first. Just wanted to get some general information from my knowledgeable COTHers! Thanks!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Ainsley688 View Post
                        Have you considered that it might be YOU that is causing the late change? I know that for my mare, her left to right change is harder. Why? The right lead is her weaker lead, as is mine. I tend to drop my right seatbone, and let my right leg swing and be weak, which unbalances her enough so that she will get a late change (like, a half step late) if I'm being lazy. :-)

I would NOT inject your horse's hock just because of a late change in one direction. I would bet it's something simple, like being weaker on that side. Something a good chiro/massage could help fix.
                        Would a massage/chiro appointment help with him being weaker on one side?

Comment

If he's weaker on one side because he's not able to use himself evenly because of a skeletal or muscle issue, then yes, a MT or Chiro, or both, may be required to straighten him out.

I would HOPE your trainer is competent enough to be able to watch you coming and going, straight on, to see if your horse travels crooked, or with a dropped hip - those are easy to see, doesn't take a genius

You can also do some looking yourself. Stand him up squarely on concrete, have someone hold his head forward and around wither height, and look at him from in front and behind. You'll have to get up on a stool behind him to get a look at his shoulders from that perspective - you want to see shoulders of even height and muscling. You want to see his hips even and with even muscling.

If you see uneven heights and/or uneven muscling, then you know that's a symptom of something, and then you, your vet, and/or a MT/chiro will have to help figure out the cause.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you! So what do you all think the first course of action should be? Start with the vet and get an exam done, or start with a chiro and see if that doesnt help the issue before calling in the vet/getting hock injections?

Comment

If it were my horse I would start with chiro, and in fact my baby has regular chiro since he is growing and in training. Whenever my older guy started to get fussy at the canter (crow hopping) he also had chiro for atleast 3 seesions. The sessions worked and I noticed a difference with the baby this weekend.

First do no harm...

Comment

Working...
                              X