• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Overpeck Riding Center (Bergen Cty, NJ)... did anyone else ride there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overpeck Riding Center (Bergen Cty, NJ)... did anyone else ride there?

This is kind of a spinoff from the Watchung thread... they're having quite the reunion of former riders and barn kids over there

Did any COTHers ride at Overpeck in Leonia, NJ at any point? I think it's called Bergen Equestrian Center now. I was there from about 1992 to 1997 or 1998... I still own one of their former school horses, know there whereabouts of few more, and am constantly looking for others (many of were moved or sold when the management changed... I would happily pick up and retire any I could find at this point! They'd all be quite old by now)

I know June (I forgot your COTH name) rode there at one point... anyone else??

I rode at Overpeck during the mid 70's...I know I am showing my age...Actually I showed there and didn't take lessons there until around 2000...They had the coldest indoor ring I was ever in!
    Are you still in the area?
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Comment

Originally posted by ivy62 View Post
      I rode at Overpeck during the mid 70's...I know I am showing my age...Actually I showed there and didn't take lessons there until around 2000...They had the coldest indoor ring I was ever in!
      Are you still in the area?
      OMG I was thinking the same thing!!! I showed there in the early Eighties!!
      I was sure to remember my MOON BOOTS!!!!!

Comment

I showed there in the mid to late 80's when Steve and Linda were running the place.

Comment

Hay

Hi Lauren!

How is Woody?

I remember that place and didn't know they had changed it to the Bergen Equestrian Center.

Does anyone remember Chip, Chiah, Chattah, Charod, Chico? Oh what was her name? She came up to the Hudson Valley to teach for a bit. She did have a life-threatening accident and is wheel chair bound now. Very sad but apparently she is doing alot of traveling to Europe and places...at least that is what I heard a few years ago.

I rode with Brian and thought he was very good and patient.
          Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
          One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
          Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Comment

pines4equines- are you talikng about Cheech? If so iIam at the barn she used to own and she now lives up in the New Paltz area and still teaches.....We see her every weekend she coems to our barn to give lessons.....

Comment

Wasn't Overpeck owned by Paul Novograd in the nineties? I went there once - because after starting to ride again at Claremont (!!) the instructor moved to Overpeck, and I decided to give it a try. The transportation slog was a bit too much for me, and the horse I was given to ride was a huge chestnut gelding whose forward gear I could not find - I don't remember his name - but the outdoor arena was heaven after weaving through the steel columns of Claremont!
              Publisher, http://www.endurance-101.com
              Blog: http://blog.seattlepi.com/horsebytes/

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, Paul Novagrad leased Overpeck from the county for most of the 1990's, and he also ran Claremont for many many years. I believe it was the Shahanian family (not sure I spelled that correctly) at Overpeck before that, but that was before my time. Rusty Holzer had the lease after Paul, but now the barn is being run by the county as far as I know.

I miss having the National Horse Show local day there, and the "trails" which were not really much, but led out to big recreational areas the county owned... ball fields and stuff. Once in a while the barn rats/working students/etc. would take the lessons horses out on trail rides, which usually lead to random canters through open fields we probably weren't supposed to be in, but it sure was fun

I'm sort of still in the area... Sussex County, NJ currently. Woody is doing well... he's 27 now, and he just kind of hangs around the house mowing the grass. I have another horse too... anyone up for a Sussex, NJ/Orange County, NY trail ride one day?

Comment

Lauren! I live in Monroe NY and my horse is in Goshen. Wish I could do a trail ride but my horse is not well and on his way to being retires..I am thinking of retiring him to a farm that a friend of has in Wantage NJ are you any where near that?

Comment

• Original Poster

Yep, I am! I'm sending you a PT

Comment

I just saw this - I took a few lessons there from Karen Barber (Cheech) back in maybe 1990 . She was excellent! The only school horse I remember the name of was Shy Anne - or something like that. I'm not sure I even rode her - but I remembered the name. Cheech had previously taught in Brooklyn and a friend of mine recommended her. Shortly afterwards I ended up with my own horse and could no longer afford lessons! Small world.
                      She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Comment

I taught at Overpeck and Claremont in 1987 and 88. Fun times driving back and forth in traffic across the bridge!
                        Enough with the drama!

Comment

Overpeck in the 80s, 90s and today!

I started riding at Overpeck in 1987 or so with Brian Young (does anyone have any idea where he is now), my first lesson was on Ziggy, followed by many lessons on: Honey Bun, Future, Carefree, Ceasefire, Tartan, Sunday, Headline, Cheyene, Faux Pas, etc.

When Brian left in the early 90s I went to Changebridge Farms in Montville, NJ with him, eventually quit riding in High School temporarily and began again in college.

I own my own horse now in PA and still take lessons at Overpeck (now Bergen Equestrian Center, although I won't call it that!!). It's much different now than it was in the heyday but it's still a great place to ride in the middle of such an urban area!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Amanda G View Post
                            I started riding at Overpeck in 1987 or so with Brian Young (does anyone have any idea where he is now), my first lesson was on Ziggy, followed by many lessons on: Honey Bun, Future, Carefree, Ceasefire, Tartan, Sunday, Headline, Cheyene, Faux Pas, etc.
                            I remember Brian's name, but I don't really remember him (if that makes sense ) or know where he is now. But, I rememeber almost all of those horses!! If you rode Headline, you probably rode my horse, Woody, as well! They came to Overpeck in the same load of horses. Woody is with me (has been for many years), Headline retired to a large farm near here, and a few others you may remember such as Hershey, Cassidy, and Morgan all have nice private homes and are enjoying life. I'm not sure what happened to the rest, I wish I did! I haven't been back to Overpeck in years, I drive past all the time but never stop... I'd love to see it sometime though!

Comment

I taught briefly at Overpeck in the early 90s. When Heidi Erickson was there. Cheech also was teaching there then. That's awful news that she had an accident but good news to hear she's still teaching.
                              Mare Lenaghen Pack

Comment

I remember Woody but I don't know if I ever rode him. I do remember Hershey, he dumped me in the lighted ring in a nighttime group lesson. I remember Morgan too! Another all star I forgot about is Redwood, I loved him, and Sydney, he was crazy. I don't know what happened to most of them. I think I used to know but I've since forgotten.

You should stop in and see it, you'd be shocked at the transformation over the years. They just finished re-doing the lighted ring - now it finally is supposed to drain properly. The dressage ring has a fence around it and now there are at least two more riding rings that were not there. The indoor has kickboards enclosing it now, but is the same.

It's always been a decent place to ride, although I don't know if I'd keep a horse there. Where are you now?

Comment

• Original Poster

Woody and I live in Sussex (as does my other horse). Morgan is retired, but he lives nearby, one of Lester Murphy's students bought him years ago. Hershey was purchased by a young lady. Redwood went to Skidmore College's riding program in the mid 90's. Sydney and Dallas went to a lovely woman in south Jersey and lived out the rest of their lives happily.

I have so many mixed emotions from that place, but maybe I'll visit sometime. When do you ride? I'd rather not go alone :LOL:

Comment

That's nice to hear about all the horses...they were such good souls.

I hvae to say I don't ride with any particular schedule there because I keep my horse in PA and mostly go ride him out there on weekends, although Sunday afternoons is a good time to go.

You do know Penny teaches there again, right?

Comment

What is Penny's last name???? I think I remember her!

Comment

Bandit

I rode at Overpeck in the early to mid-80's, then again in the 90's and 2005. My favorite horse was Bandit from the 80's.

Comment

Working...
                                        X