• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Why do hunter riders lie down on their horse's necks over jumps?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do hunter riders lie down on their horse's necks over jumps?

I've ridden hunters most of my life, done a little dressage here and there, taught lessons, run a few barns. I have been out of the hunter loop for a few years. What I am seeing so much of these days is what appears to me to be a trend of hunter riders appearing to lie down on their horse's neck when jumping. They seem to lose the straight (and preferred) line from elbow to bit because they bend their arms so that their hands press on the neck. Then they put their faces right down on top of the mane. Beginner riders - sure - press your hands on the neck for support. But when you are jumping 2'6" and higher? What am I missing here - not trying to be smart about it, or a jerk, truly, just wondering if I'm missing something!
  • Original Poster

I've ridden hunters most of my life, done a little dressage here and there, taught lessons, run a few barns. I have been out of the hunter loop for a few years. What I am seeing so much of these days is what appears to me to be a trend of hunter riders appearing to lie down on their horse's neck when jumping. They seem to lose the straight (and preferred) line from elbow to bit because they bend their arms so that their hands press on the neck. Then they put their faces right down on top of the mane. Beginner riders - sure - press your hands on the neck for support. But when you are jumping 2'6" and higher? What am I missing here - not trying to be smart about it, or a jerk, truly, just wondering if I'm missing something!

Comment

The longer a rider stays over their horse the more the horse can finish its jump through its back and hind end. Riding the neck down also encourages the horse to jump rounder with a lower and freer neck, and to land stretching into a flowing first stride.
      The automatic release is also out of fashion for the hunter ring, and unnecessary for the courses, so it looks out of place at this time.

Comment

Several reasons:
        1) Rider lacks proper base of support, evidenced by the swung-back leg and/or knee pivot that usually accompanies the neck-laying. With a proper base of support, the rider's weight remains in her heels instead of her seat so she can allow the horse to finish the jump without sitting down on the horse's back too early. Without a proper base of support, the rider must cling to the neck so that she sits up later. Very sloppy.

2. Riders with proper bases of support ride in this sloppy style to create the optical illusion that the horse is jumping super round, throwing the rider's but so far out of the saddle that their upper body is down on the neck. Completely wasted motion, and a rider should never "push the horse's neck down" for roundness. Roundness comes from the horse's back, not dropping the forehand. Weighting the forehand begs the horse to hit the jump. Doesn't enhance the horse's athleticism, only its burden.

3. Riders are imitating photos of #2-type riders they see in magazines.

The dynamics C.Boylen described (horse jumps with freer neck and lands stretching into a flowing stride) can be accomplished better with a proper automatic release than a sloppy upper body and base of support.

Comment

Ditto, ditto, ditto, Lilac!!!!

It's just a fad.

Comment

Hee, hee, hee, Lilac!

You 'hit the deadhead on the nail!'

Comment

This is a VERY interesting thread to me. I've asked this question for ages of so many people and professionals. C.Bolen's answer is what I've always suspected, because it's always the big professionals on the fanciest jumpers who would rate worst in George Morris's jumping clinics (in Practical Horseman, haha). And they must know better!!!
              I agree, it's not correct riding, posture, it's pinching with the knees, ducking over the fences, etc..........but I figured they were doing it for a REASON>>>
              As for me, I"m a foxhunter and eventer clinicians love my position.....and I have a heck of a time getting that "over" my horse over a fence....afterall, we may stumble in the big hole in the other side, haha..........
              www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Comment

Odd how pros wioth this supposed "awful" position get the best rides out of the best horses. Never seen them fall off at a stop either. Perhaps things have just changed? I'm playing devils advocate, I am always working on classic form, but does it have a place in the modern professional hunter ring?
                -Grace

Comment

Simple. Because if you ride "correctly" over fences, you will not place in the hunter or eq. ring. Period. A rider that softly follows the horses effort in the air with no excessive closing of the hip angle is seen to be "left behind" and even with a perfect round, they will not place. It's disgusting really, but so so painfully and bitterly true.
                  Power to the People

Comment

I dunno, sometimes we tend to paint with a pretty broad brush in extending an opinion to cover an entire industry.

Where have you seen proper by one definition...i.e. auto release... riding on a wonderful jumping horse get the gate when poor jumping under a less classic rider pinned up??

I haven't. They jump good they get pinned good. Sometimes more jump good then there are ribbons for.

I'm not an huge fan of some of the more exaggerated styles seen BUT the definition of proper equitation is effective riding. Not putting a ruler on a rider's arm and pronouncing the lack of a straight line "poor riding".

Long as the horse performs the task with brilliance and is eager to keep going, whose to say the rider is to be slammed on here because they do not meet somebody's definition of the "proper" way to do it?

We have done this ad nauseum...sat and had at riders of big winning horses because we don't think they ride good.

Enough already.
                    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Yeah...i'd let this one die a quick death. Its not worth the band width.
                      Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheOrangeOne:
                        Odd how pros wioth this supposed "awful" position get the best rides out of the best horses. Never seen them fall off at a stop either. Perhaps things have just changed? I'm playing devils advocate, I am always working on classic form, but does it have a place in the modern professional hunter ring? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well... I'm not so sure. I was looking through a photo album of pictures from Working Hunter classes at Devon, and though 99% of the riders were ducking and doing that weird let-me-stick-my-ass-in-the-air-as-high-as-possible-to-blind-the-judge-with-my-lack-of-vpl thing, the riders on the horses that had the best jumps were far less dramatic about it. One of the most "dramatic" overjumping, overducking, twist-to-the-side riders actually looked like he was making his horse struggle- the horse was jumping crooked and looked like he was bracing his neck back against the rider, more than anything.

Not that my opinions matter as a backyard rider extraordinaire, I just felt like being all opinion-y today.

And I happen to think the smoother, more correct ride makes the horse look much better, no matter what the current trend is. At a GM clinic a few weekends ago, he talked about the ducking thing. A girl kept overdoing a 2'6" ish jump, so he got on her horse and tried to show her the difference and how not to duck. The interesting thing was, when she was riding (and ducking), all you noticed was the rider being funky. When GM got on and didn't duck, suddenly you didn't notice the rider so much, and could actually see the horse unfettered by any dramatic motions on his back (and he did a few jumps where he exaggerated, and it was the same thing- when he ducked, it detracted from the performance of the horse quite a bit). Of course, it was GM, so the horse was probably all "omigod, like, I better snap my knees up so he doesn't impale me on a metal pole", so maybe it was less about not ducking and more because GM is a scary, scary man.
                        "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

I wish you'd put a smiley face or a "haha" at the end of that post caffeinated. I don't think GM is scary at all; I do think he's a talented trainer and rider, and if the horse went better with GM than with a ducking 2'6 rider, well DUH!

If you were at the Persimmon Tree Farm clinic (I was there!) there is NOTHING "scary" or harsh or rough or punitive about the way he rides. He is a pleasure to watch.

Comment

This is NOT something you can judge from a photograph. A picture is ONE moment in time. How do you know that a kid with a scary balloon wasn't making that horse twist rather than its riders position?

"The dynamics C.Boylen described (horse jumps with freer neck and lands stretching into a flowing stride) can be accomplished better with a proper automatic release than a sloppy upper body and base of support."

If this were true, the top professionals would be using an automatic release. They don't.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by QueenMother:
                              I wish you'd put a smiley face or a "haha" at the end of that post caffeinated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry. Sometimes *I* think it's obvious when I'm joking, but I sort of live in my own head that way, and apparently I am misread far more frequently than I expect to be

here (especially for you!):

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is NOT something you can judge from a photograph. A picture is ONE moment in time. How do you know that a kid with a scary balloon wasn't making that horse twist rather than its riders position? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do have a point. I was basing my uneducated opinion on sets of photographs, there were about five or six of every rider. Though I suppose small children with balloons could be hiding under every jump, too, so they get the benefit of the doubt. I'm certainly not out there competing so I suppose I should keep my big mouth shut, really
                              "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

Why, thank you! Now I can climb down from my high horse!

Comment

I think in general most professionals are using that big neck release because it is "in style".

Riders should at some point learn about seat weight, leg, how the aids effect the horse simple dressage movements the different "seats" for jumping and canter work as well as eventually the automatic release that we see the europeans still use so well.

It is a shame BECAUSE at the higher levels in jumpers and international sport these things many riders are not learning == are useful and needed == if you read any of the top riders "books" they talk of basically using low level dressage and the advancement of riders to the Auto release yet we see so little of it even in the jumper ring where it can be most useful. I was taught in a more European manner so maybe my view is unpopular..

Comment

Because style of riding doesn't count. Therefore isn't a priority. And because it's not a priority, and and doesn't affect the outcome, there is no reason to be stylish. Some are even convinced that jumping up on a horse's neck accomplishes a desired end. And since there is no agenda on landing beyond "stay upright" and recover one's balance by the next fence which is many strides away, it does no harm.

Now, go to the jumper ring...where style and technique DO affect the outcome, and where a rider pays dearly for requiring exessive recovery time after a jump, and you will find that either the riders are stylish and have effective technique, or a lot of equipment, or both.
                                    Inner Bay Equestrian
                                    Facebook
                                    KERx

Comment

Because we can.
                                      http://community.webshots.com/user/racetb

*Save The Prairie Dog*
                                      \"Jean Louise, stand up. Your father\'s passing.\"

Comment

Someone ask Don Stewart where this style of riding began.

Comment

Working...
                                        X