• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Saddle help - CWD pricing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle help - CWD pricing?

Hey guys, Im in need of a new saddle and im thinking about CWD. Can anyone tell me what a SE02 costs approximately? Also, does anyone have feedback on the saddles? Thanks!

3-4k. Love them.

Comment

They will have to pry mine from my cold, dead hands!
      Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket???

Comment

A new custom one? $3800-4000+ depending on leather choices. Worth it if you have the money. A rep will also have access to used ones you can't find online. Make an appointment with one, try a bunch of different saddles, see what you like and what fits your horse. They will tell you what used ones they have that might work for you. Or just order one custom.

FYI, a lot of people think the pommels are uncomfortable. If you feel that way tell the rep. There are different pommel options available new or in used models.

Comment

I love mine! The pommel is a little higher than I would have liked but the only time it effects me is posting trot w/o stirrups, (which is still "doable" but not the most comfortable). It fits my horse and me perfectly and my local rep is great! The leather is excellent quality and looks almost new every time I clean it, (it's two years old now). If they fit you and your horse, go for it! It was a lot of money for me at the time, but I don't regret it one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by marginall View Post
            FYI, a lot of people think the pommels are uncomfortable. If you feel that way tell the rep. There are different pommel options available new or in used models.
            Funny you should mention this. I just rode in my friend's CWD and this was a big issue. I thought maybe the saddle was too small or just a bad fit for my conformation. She and her DH love them though.
            2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

The pommel on mine is overly friendly, but has yet to do serious damage.

Comment

I ordered my CWD SE02 in the buffalo and grain combination back in September of 2011 since this is their toughest/ most long lasting leather combo. It cost approximately $4,400 and will last me forever. It is lovely, soft, balanced, and worth every penny! Here's a picture of it all darkened up:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...6&l=bf8810b0d6

Comment

Originally posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
                  Funny you should mention this. I just rode in my friend's CWD and this was a big issue. I thought maybe the saddle was too small or just a bad fit for my conformation. She and her DH love them though.
                  Ditto this exactly! I tried one and thought it was my breeches being too low!! Loved the saddle, but thought the pommel just wasn't quite right. I don't think I have any reps any where near me to try anything else. Which is too bad, I think they are lovely saddles!

Comment

Originally posted by fatappy View Post
                    Ditto this exactly! I tried one and thought it was my breeches being too low!! Loved the saddle, but thought the pommel just wasn't quite right. I don't think I have any reps any where near me to try anything else. Which is too bad, I think they are lovely saddles!
                    They make two pommel options, a regular and a low pommel. So if you don't like what you sat in, there are other options.

Comment

I believe there is a used one on TOC right now... (not mine)

http://s8.zetaboards.com/The_Outside...8329620/1/#new
                      We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                      -PaulaEdwina

Comment

for me it wasn't necessarily the pommel, because I feel like the slope of the pommel is similar to the Antares. It was the twist on the CWD, in combination with the slope that made it entirely too "friendly" (lol) as someone else mentioned above. The twist on my Antares seems just slightly wider, which gives my pelvic bones a wider base to sit on (I have wide hips)

So I would say if you want more of a close contact, and you're built to handle that narrower twist, you'll be fine with CWD.

Oh...and price quotes were $3800 and up, depending on leather choices. They are very nice saddles!

Comment

Originally posted by marginall View Post
                          This. I had one for about 2.5 years and although i loved the seat and the leather was gorgeous, I never got over the overly "friendly" pommel. For me, it was the sides of the pommel that were rock. hard. Ended up selling it a got a devoucoux. there are horror stories about every saddle brand. when you're dropping this kind of cash, try as many as you can.

also, FWIW, the antares and devoucoux trees are quite a bit lighter than the CWD one (weight wise). just something to keep in mind.

Comment

I have tried every high end saddle available, due to the fact that I live in the sticks and can't get a saddle rep out to my barn and my mare has a really flat back. I've had both the SEO2 and 2 SEO1s. My first SEO1 did not fit me correctly, and the SE02 was just too much saddle for me (this was my fault, these were used saddles that I bought online). Then there was a Tad Coffin, an Antares, a County Innovation, and two Devoucouxs. I liked everything okay, but really, needed to be fitted personally because both the mare and I are a little difficult to fit.

Finally I met up with the CWD rep at a horse show and was able to be fitted live and in person. My current SE01 is full calf with the fancy memory foam and the pretty grain trim, and is was $5kish all in. The CWD had the most generous pro-fit panel of the french trees, and did not twist from side to side as the others did on her (except the Coffin and the Innovation in the MW tree). I ride a wide variety of horses, and was planning to have a custom made for her, but they actually put her in a pro-fit and it works beautifully on her and most everything else. It is not a magical saddle for me, as I have a horrible habit of twisting my hips in the tack, and the SEO1 does not hold me in the tack like my Biarritz did. I do think it's got a beautiful balance point. But you know what, the horses absolutely love it, and that's the most important thing. I just need to learn to ride better

One interesting thing I have learned, is that any kind of new saddle you order, you want them to oil it for you in France. I had that done, followed CWD's directions, and the saddle is literally like butter. My fancy memory foam knee pads are proving to be a bit tricky to break in, but that's probably because I'm not putting enough hours in the saddle. Some barnmates ordered Devoucouxs, they arrived unoiled, and while beautiful, they are like cardboard. They were instructed not to oil them but only to grease them, and a month later, still cardboard on the flaps. My Devoucouxs have always been soft, so I'm sure they'll break in beautifully eventually, but they are looking at my CWD trying to figure out what I did to it. Especially after they said that my CWD leather was from Morocco
                            Trinity Farm LLC
                            Quality hunters and jumpers at Midwest prices
                            Like us on Facebook:
                            https://www.facebook.com/TrinityFarmLLC

Comment

NEW?

If you are planning on getting one new, it will run about 4 - mid 5K depending on leather. I ordered a custom grain (base leather) last year and it was right at 4K. Just upgraded to all buffalo (LOVE). As I understand it, prices just went up as of Jan 1.
                              This is the third CWD I have had. Really like them - but it's all about personal preference and your body build ( and also what your local rep is like ) as to which brand saddle you will like the most.
                              As someone else mentioned, I find that my leg is perfectly positioned under me in a properly fitted CWD. Not quite the same feel in any other saddles I have owned or tried - which includes Devocoux, Antares and Butet.
                              You'll note I said "properly fitted".
                              If you have a great rep who knows what they are doing it will make a HUGE difference.
                              I did have some problems with the custom grain saddle due to inept rep(s) and an admittedly difficult to fit horse. CWD did stand behind the product and has made sure I'm happy.
                              As in all major purchases - the more you can educate yourself the better!
                              Good luck!

Comment

I don't have a ton of info on pricing, aside from that all of the french saddles i've seen are over 4k now

However, all things being completely equal (rep, price etc) I'm still partial to the Antares. They just seem to set me a little better and I like their fit and look.

That's not to say that CWD's aren't quality, I own one currently. I think it just comes down to personal preference. That being said, in my area the Antares rep is highly unavailable and inconsistent and the CWD rep is a saint of a human being. Which is why I have a CWD

Comment

Originally posted by lilbrownpony View Post
                                  However, all things being completely equal (rep, price etc) I'm still partial to the Antares. They just seem to set me a little better and I like their fit and look.
                                  Much as I love Antares strap goods, and their customer service, they seem to be having a major problem with breaking trees in their saddles the last few years. Many have posted about their issues on these forums, which would make me take them out of consideration, if I was saddle shopping. And I love my CWD anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Reminisce View Post
                                    It cost approximately $4,400 and will last me forever. It is lovely, soft, balanced, and worth every penny!
                                    how will your saddle last forever? i seem to wear out leather. i dont know why. i clean my saddle etc and ride in britches and the leather wears. i am just wondering how the saddle will not wear out. if i knew that the saddle would last a long long time, i would think about getting a good one, but for some reason i wear out leather.

Comment

I ordered my CWD back in July or August of last year. I went with the grain/buffalo combination also and it was $4400 plus all the taxes and shipping etc. It end up costing me just over 5K.

That said, I'm really not happy with how the leather has worn. It barely 6 mo old and the buffalo leather on the pommel of my saddle has worn poorly and turned a funny colour with maintaining it just as CWD suggests and only riding in breeches - so beware. If anything you order is like mine, it wont last you forever!!!

Comment

^That's interesting that you had that problem (did you call CWD and speak to them about it?)...my CWD is well cared for, but the elements abused it several times; it got completely soaked on many occasions and it held up beautifully. I've had it for coming up on 5 years now and it looks great.

I suggest you call CWD and talk to them. Maybe a rep in your area can come out and look at your saddle...
                                        http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
                                        Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

Working...
                                        X