• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Your Thoughts on Arabian Hunters?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Thoughts on Arabian Hunters?

I was just wondering what you all think of Arabians in the Hunter ring. Personally, I love Arabs! For the most part they all are good, flat kneed movers and they all do their lead changes. If an arabian goes around nice and quiet, head down, gets down the lines and does its lead changes, do you think it would be counted against, in the Hunter ring because it's an Arabian?
    I just want to know your thoughts.

Caution: Beware the Mare!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/cashew4ever
    ~Member of \"OMGiH I loff my mare\" Clique
    ~Member of The Blonde Rider Clique
    ~Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique
    ~Founder of the Appaloosa Lover Clique
  • Original Poster

I was just wondering what you all think of Arabians in the Hunter ring. Personally, I love Arabs! For the most part they all are good, flat kneed movers and they all do their lead changes. If an arabian goes around nice and quiet, head down, gets down the lines and does its lead changes, do you think it would be counted against, in the Hunter ring because it's an Arabian?
    I just want to know your thoughts.

~Member of \"OMGiH I loff my mare\" Clique
    ~Member of The Blonde Rider Clique
    ~Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique
    ~Founder of the Appaloosa Lover Clique

Comment

There was a thread on this a few days ago, if I find it, I'll post the link.

Here it is: Arabs as hunters

Adult Pony Rider Clique
      Disgruntled College Student Clique
      QH Clique
      NC Clique :P

Comment

Please note that I accidentally locked it :X Just sent a message to Erin to see if she'd reopen it for me, though

Comment

If I remember correctly from the other thread, the general consensus seemed to be that an arab won't necessarily be "marked down" for being an arab, other than for personal preference reasons, but that in general, arabs can't compete with other breeds in hunter classes at A shows because of a myriad of reasons including size, knees, tail set, and movement.
          Many people could remember some fabulous arab cross who did well as a hunter, but I think most people admire arabs when they are doing what they do best: sport horse, endurance, or pleasure.

Comment

i don't care for full Arabs, but that's just my opinion. never knowingly seen an Arab cross(outside of my leadline pony who is too old to count), so i dunno how they do in hunters.

~*~it's all good...and i'm all that~*~

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> For the most part they all are good, flat kneed movers and they all do their lead changes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is sort of a gross generalization. It's like saying that for the most part, all TB's are good racing horses, while in reality, only a select few are.

Anyway, yes, I think riding an Arabian could be counted against in the hunter ring. The hunters boils down to nothing more than the preference of a judge. If you have a judge that prefers TB's, even riding your WB could be counted against you!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If an arabian goes around nice and quiet, head down, gets down the lines and does its lead changes, do you think it would be counted against, in the Hunter ring because it's an Arabian?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                You are forgetting a key thing that makes most Arabs unsuitable hunters. The flat stiff jump that most of them have. If the Arab performed like a textbook hunter, then it would take a very narrow-minded judge to not pin it well. Most Arabs however are not like this, they just don't have the COMPLETE package to be an A hunter. Just like TBs don't have what it takes to be successful Western Pleasure or Cutting horses. I don't try to take a TWH and make it a hunter. It just doesn't happen often if at all. Sadly, you can't make a horse (ANY BREED) something that it is not.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
                "Cause I'm hella cool, that's why."
                - Eric Cartman

Comment

Most arabs are knocked down because of their stiff jaunty jump, theres not really anything wrong with them they just usually dont have the best jump. If your arab moves nice as well as has a nice jump then theres nothing wrong with that.
                  ~!Founder of the Will Faudree Lovers Clique!~
                  ~*Founder of the Friesians Clique*~
                  ~Member of the Blond Riders Clique~
                  I LOVE JON!!!!!! and Flip of course and DENNY, LUCKY, Jaybird, Tyler, PT, Peter, Tugboat and more, all the horses that I have lov

Comment

Interesting bit: Arabs have 1 less vertebrae than other horses. (Actually, I dunno if this is true or not. I remember reading it somewhere...)

Maybe that affects their jumping?
                    peace out
                    ~Calla

Comment

EDITED

[This message was edited by Moudy on Nov. 09, 2003 at 08:30 PM.]
                      If you don't try...how will you ever know you can not do it?

Comment

i have seen full Arabs doing hunters, and i don't like them. i've never seen an Arab X(that i know of), so that was what i was saying i'd never seen. if an Arab is a good hunter, ok, i just don't like the ones i've seen. you don't like TBs, and there's lots of TB hunters that win at Devon and Indoors(In Sync, Caped Crusader, Bucky Dent, etc.). that's fine too. hunters is all opinion.

~*~it's all good...and i'm all that~*~

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, Arabs are bred for a high arched neck. A top hunter is basically a horizontal horse, who actually lowers his head and neck in front of the jump so that knees and neck meet each other half way.

A "well conformed" Arab is just not able to jump as round as other breeds.

As for the "Few TB's who can jump".... let me show you several. Then, please feel free to post pictures of the best Arab hunters.

PS: Lines are set at 12'6" for 3' horses at A shows.

Here is a TB who is good for more than taking off and lathering up.

OOPS, this is the only one of the 3 pictures I had in mind that is on the laptop. I will have to add the others later, if people do not post TB jumping pictures in the meantime... Are there some from the Devon page?

I look forward to seeing pictures of the top hunter Arabs for comparison.
                          Attached Files
                          "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

Well, hunters has changed a lot over the last 20 years. Hunters used to be about the flatter daisy cutter but since WBs have emerged into the hunter arena, the dressagy mover has become quite liked - now, not at a high level of dressage with a lot of animation - but a more efficient training level or even perhaps to a degree first level 'frame' so to speak. I know a lot of dressage trainers who are paid to put A hunters together on the off-jumping days those horses are training.

That said - I have to say there is a vast variation of Arabs out there. The refined Eqyptian Arab would look a little out of place at a hunt show mainly because of size and stride not just build and style of jump. Hunters are wanted to take big long easy strides and flatter jumps so the rider can look good up there. The combinations where the fences are 2 strides apart - the judge wants to see them taken in 2 strides not 6. Most Arabs nowdays are 14-15 hands. I showed dressage on a 15.3 Arab and he had a very full WB type body and we scored extremely well even when judged by judges I knew were biased against Arabians.

He was a full Arab.

That said, as a kid, I had an Arab/Welsh and and Arab - and my best friend had an Arab/QH. All three of these horses were 14-14.2 in size and we won everything we went to - in A hunters. My Arab/Welsh was perfect miniature classic hunter. My Arab did not poof is tail except when walkign downhills on trails. He jumped super nice and looked more like a QH.

So in pony divisions, I think Arabs can fit in quite well. I think it is not a matter of style so much as size.

Style can be a factor if the horse really moves "arab-y" but my point too is that there are a vast variation of Arab types - the polish and mountain Arab types are much mroe sporty and the Eqyptian is more little and too Arab-y for anything other than Arab shows (on the most part).

-L

Comment

I suppose that if an arab moved nice, went around quietly, and jumped well, it could do ok. But if it had an identical course to a warmblood or TB, WB or TB would pin over it generally. Arabs aren't really bred for their jumping ability and daisy cutting (or nowadays, big, suspended) trot, you have to remember. They were really bred to be endurance horses and dessert trekers in Arabia. Most Arabs I have seen are too hot for hunters, and carry their heads and tails too high. They also ususally have a flatter rump, which makes them poorer jumpers. They are also usually on the small size too. This is generalizing... I'm sure there are some nice Arabs (like the Black Stallion ) out there, but I personally am not a fan of them. no offense anyone... not trying to get people flaming at me again. JIMO.

There is an old retired Arab (30+ years old!) at my barn who did eventing in his younger days, but couldn't jump higher than 3'3" or so... or didn't have the desire anyways.

~*~Nattie~*~
                              *Maryland Clique*
                              *Non-GPA Clique!*
                              *Warmblood (Hanoverian) Clique*

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moudy:
                                I believe TB's are really only good for running, lathering up and taking off on riders (from my experiences). They are explosive when nervous and for the most part un-trustworthy. Yes, there are the few that can jump.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well see there's the problem. You've obviously have never been to or shown at an USAE rated hunter/jumper show (by virtue of having said this statement).

Maybe all of the riders on this thread should have clarified that they were referring to Arab hunters having success at USAE A-rated hunter/jumper shows, not open, local, or schooling shows.

I have seen Arabs do well at things like 4-H hunter shows (they have a different judging standard).

IMHO, Arab hunter shows are significantly different than USAE hunter/jumper shows. Maybe someone here can post more pictures of a 'correct' USAE A-rated hunter.

P.S. Can I see any pics of these hunter Arabs?

Funny Quotation for July (that week thing was just too hard):
                                "A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead."
                                ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moudy:
                                  We have to do the normal 'hunter' lines (i.e.: 12' increments @ 3' height) no matter what, that is why a hunter, is a hunter...we have to make the lines or not! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm curious about your shows. Are the lines actually set on the 12'? As LordHelpus already said, at our good A shows the lines are a bit longer (a 6 stride is usually 86-90 feet), does that happen at your bigger shows? What heights do you jump for the hunters? Do you have jumper classes?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have seen Saddlebreds and Morgans jump as well, and they are awesome, if their conformation and their body is setup for a hunter. I do not think that anyone that is in it for the sport would make any horse jump if it is not structurally made up to. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure I understand your point here. No one claimed that the horses could NOT jump, just that they didn't do it in good hunter form. I will agree with their statements due to the fact that I have never seen an arabian or pictures of one that did jump in a competitive style for the hunter ring (at its higher levels). I will say that there have been plenty of arabian crosses that have succeeded in the ponies (although no full bloods that I know of), but the pony ring takes a bit of a different look than the horses.
                                  I'm sure you understand that the saddlebreds and morgans are also not considered hunter material, since they also lack many things that go into the 'big picture'.

http://community.webshots.com/user/anallie

Comment

my computer is being stupid and cant post a link from the devon pages. I am 99% sure that Eminem (katie Polks A/O hunter) is a tb and that horse jumpes AWESOME!!http://www.mustphoto.com/Devon%20200...es/ppage60.htm

k for some reason that wont post as a link...but im pretty sure hes tb...someone correct me if im wrong. (the pic numberon that pic is DVO3-2282)

~*~"When your horse greets you with a nicker, nuzzles your chest, and regards you with a large and liquid eye, the question of where you want to be and what you want to do has been answered"~*~
                                    ~*~\"When your horse greets you with a nicker, nuzzles your chest, and regards you with a large and liquid eye, the question of where you want to be and what you want to do has been answered\"~*~

Comment

A/O, USAE lists Eminem as dutch wb. But, nice try

http://community.webshots.com/user/anallie

Comment

why was i thinking he was tb?
                                        is her other one (the grey) a tb?

~*~"When your horse greets you with a nicker, nuzzles your chest, and regards you with a large and liquid eye, the question of where you want to be and what you want to do has been answered"~*~
                                        ~*~\"When your horse greets you with a nicker, nuzzles your chest, and regards you with a large and liquid eye, the question of where you want to be and what you want to do has been answered\"~*~

Comment

Working...
                                        X