• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What you thought you wanted v. what you bought

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What you thought you wanted v. what you bought

I was wondering how many times they actually matched up.

This time around I wanted a 16' 2 Appendix, 10-12 years old, gelding. I ended up with a 16 y.o.17'2 SOLID Irish Warmblood gelding (and he couldn't be any more perfect for me).

You?

Wanted a hunter, ended up with a jumper.
    Wanted lots of chrome, ended up with a brown/bay horse with 2 small socks.

Comment

well...I actually didn't go in with much physical criteria for my first horse. Idealized childhood dream, I wanted a big black gelding. Or a pinto WB like TidyRabbit boys . Kind of definitely wanted a gelding though, since I thought I've always gotten along better with the boys.

Ended up with a bright bay mare, who has tiny white socks and a star and snip. Was not to thrown by the mare thing though, especially when I thought back to all my favorite horses who happened to all be mares!

Talent and riding wise though, she is EXACTLY what I wanted. There was a time when I wished she just a *smidge* less of a fireball, but now I know its because she was wishing I was a better rider and can actually be quite the lazy deadhead IF you're riding her correctly.

Comment

Last 3 purchases:

I wanted a nice C-line Holsteiner to do jumpers. Bought a 4 year old Appendix barrel horse on a gut feeling. Horse of a lifetime, saved many thousands!

Same shopping list, bought an OTTB I had ridden once before a few years previously, on a whim. Horse is great and canters up when I call (what more can you ask?), saved many thousands again!

Again, wanted a nice C-line Holsteiner. Bought a week-old Appendix off Facebook pictures. Love the little(big) guy, saved more thousands!

But I still want a nice C-line Holsteiner someday.....with all the "savings" above, maybe I'll actually buy one. If DH doesn't kill me first.

Comment

I wanted some sort of TB/draft cross, preferably bay with a star and a snip if I was going to get picky, but definitely solid and [i]not[i] a lot of white! 10-12, gelding, been there and done that. Ideal height would've been under 16hh.

What did I end up with?

A five year old, black and white (mostly white), spotted draft gelding pretty much entirely NOT under saddle, and 16.3hh!

Yeah, I'm not sure how that happened either.
          The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
          Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

Wanted a safe large pony or small horse for DD that she could do playdays and local shows on with a been there done that record. Got a 16yo QH mare that ropes both ends, pasture ropes and jumps. And goes around bareback in a halter and shank. Big difference when buying for the kiddos though.
            Originally posted by The Saddle
            Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Comment

Requirements: At least 4 and going undersaddle. Not grey.

Bought: Coming 2 year old grey gelding.

He was the best horse I've ever had though!
              It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Comment

Wanted 8-10 year old paint/tbx gelding with show miles:bought 4 year old green broke solid liver chestnut draft cross mare!
                2 years in I'm still learning to work with her. has talent but attitude too!

Comment

Wanted a large pony project... ended up with a amazing horse. Glad it happened though, he's the best I could have asked for and has actually made me finally prefer horses over ponies

Comment

Wanted a 16.2 + (not grey) TB, probably OTTB. Wanted to spend less than 2k.

Ended up with a showbred 17.1h grey TB, who was about 4 times more expensive than I was planning on spending. oops. I love him though!
                    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
                    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

Wanted: Anything EXCEPT another dark bay OTTB gelding. I had sworn them off after several bad experiences. Also wanted something that was younger than 10 and a heavier breed.

Bought: A beanpole 12yo OTTB gelding who often gets mistaken for a 2yo because he's so lanky, leggy. He's dark bay with one white sock and two ankles with a splash of a snip on his nose. He is also my heart horse. I will own him until he leaves the earth.

Comment

Was looking for a 3-4 yo, under saddle, w-t-c.

Looked for 2 years.

Bought a long yearling.
                        Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Was looking for an OTTB or light WB with lots of blood, preferably 5 or so, jumping small courses, and not dark bay/black (have 3 of that flavor in our barn...).

Fell into my lap- 7yo Perch/QH mare, green and very Perchy to look at, but OMG can she jump and cut daisies! And yes, she is dark bay/black with a star.

Comment

Thought I was going to be looking for an OTTB.

Bought a weanling SF x ISH.
                            Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Was looking for a 4-6 y.o., 16-17h. OTTB or an appendix to do dressage and/or hunters with. Preferred something dark bay or liver chestnut with at least a couple of socks and a blaze/star. In my perfect dream world, it would have been a buckskin, but how many of THOSE do you find for a beer budget that are actually NICE?

What did I end up with? A super athletic, 5 y.o., 16.2h, buckskin QH/WBx with a big blaze and three socks who should be able to do anything I ever want him to. He has a GREAT mind and is the most perfect horse in the world for me. Oddly enough, he is close to being the exact kind of horse I might have gotten if I had decided to go through with breeding my little buckskin mare. So I got my dream horse for much less than a stud fee, vet bills, etc. involved in breeding, and I gave a nice horse a pretty good home. Win win.
                              "I was not expecting the park rangers to lead the resistance, none of the dystopian novels I read prepared me for this but cool."

Comment

Wasn't looking for a horse AT ALL.

Bought a 5 yo, 151h HOT Conn x TB mare.

Still NOT looking for a horse.

Bought a yearling TB colt (later gelding)
                                Janet

Comment

First horse:

Wanted a 6 y/o, 16.2hh, dark bay TB gelding with minimal white that loved to jump.

Bought a 6 y/o, 16.2hh, dark bay TB gelding with a tiny star that loved to jump.

Second horse:

Wanted a project, preferably a 6 y/o, 16.2hh, dark bay TB gelding with minimal white that loved to jump.

Took in an ASPCA rescued 10 y/o, 15hh, dark bay grade pony with no white that learned to jump and event.

Third horse:

Wanted a 6 y/o, 16.2hh, dark bay TB gelding with minimal white that loved to jump.

Was given a 5 y/o, 16.3hh, dark bay TB gelding with snip and two short socks that had neurological issues that ended in a self-inflicted fatal injury.

Fourth horse:

Fell in love with a 9 y/o, 15.3hh, buckskin Appendix Paint gelding with high whites that is learning to jump.

hmm....
                                  Last edited by costco_muffins; Jan. 4, 2012, 06:03 PM.

Comment

First horse as a young teen - wanted a bay morgan gelding. Got a chestnut OTTB mare. Boy did she teach me a lot!

Comment

Always wanted a seal brown with no chrome TB or warmblood - elegant....No grays/white after having had a one-spot white appy/lipizzan cross

I did get exactly what I wanted once I realized that temperament was my main goal - I have a 17+h Irish Draught who is just about white at 10 years old. I got him as a chestnut weanling and he turned gray then white. He is just the best horse for me. I have been blessed with 2 "forever" horses (RIP my sweet Casper) and this guy is one!

I also thought I wanted a true hunter to do HITS with, but I am finding that we love doing Dressagem so am dabbling in that at the moment.

Here is my not-so-expected fellow:
                                      http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...1/SANY0036.jpg
                                      Last edited by witherbee; Jan. 4, 2012, 04:42 PM.

Comment

The best horses have found me, despite whatever "criteria" I had in mind or what I thought I wanted.

The one horse I bought as an adult, that fit my "wish list" turned out to be a hot mess.... and I was very happy to see that horse head down the driveway on a trailer when I finally sold him 2 years after buying him. In my defense, I did put a fair amount of work into him and he got an upgrade when I sold, so I no harm no foul.

Current horse... I wanted something smaller, sturdy, safe, sane. Forward going but not spooky. My vet pointed me in the direction of a Morgan breeder a few hours away. I went looking for a broke gelding aged 4-6, 15-15.2hh. Came home with an unbroke mare aged 4 and 14.2hh.

She's going to be a superb little horse, jury is still out on whether it will be for me or someone else. Regardless, she's a good little girl and has come along nicely thus far.
                                        We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

Working...
                                        X