Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

105 DSCN0687
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Children's/Adult Jumpers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children's/Adult Jumpers!

I'm hoping to compete my 5 year old WB in the Children's/Adult jumpers next year after persuasion from my trainer that i should give jumpers a shot instead of strictly eventing. I was wondering what it's like, the steps to qualify for places like WIHS Local Day and Capital Challenge etc, and what to expect. My trainer seems to think it will be a walk in the park for my horse but I just wanted to know some info and if it's any different from the schooling jumper shows. Thanks!
    A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.

Yippie! You'll love it! All you need to do for WIHS local and Capital Challenge is send in an entry (with LOTS of $$$ for CC!). The only shows you need to qualify for are Devon (I believe based on zone points), Harrisburg (NAL) and Washington (WIHS). You qualify for indoors by earning points in the Ch/Ad Classic at recognized shows that offer these classics. Not sure what you need for eventing but for the jumpers your horse will need to be recorded with the USEF.
    Originally posted by EquineImagined
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Herbie19 View Post
      Yippie! You'll love it! All you need to do for WIHS local and Capital Challenge is send in an entry (with LOTS of $$$ for CC!). The only shows you need to qualify for are Devon (I believe based on zone points), Harrisburg (NAL) and Washington (WIHS). You qualify for indoors by earning points in the Ch/Ad Classic at recognized shows that offer these classics. Not sure what you need for eventing but for the jumpers your horse will need to be recorded with the USEF.

Ok, awesome! Thanks for your help. From what i've heard it's about $500 for entry fees for like the Capital Challlenge. Does that sound about right? Or is it more or less?
      A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.

Comment

you and your horse each need to be a member of USEF and USHJA...PLUS you have to become a member of the NAL and WIHS for the points won at classics to count...Entry fees at AA shows are easily above 500 bucks...(I believe the entry fee for the classics alone are around 250 and you usually have to compete in one or more Child/adult classes in order to compete in the classic) When I did the jumpers, I usually budgeted around 1000 bucks to compete in the child/adult division, plus the classic, plus entry/offices and a stall. Also, read the prize list very carefully because some of the child/adult classics are set at 1.15m instead of 1.10m. (its about 3 inches in difference but with a young horse that could be HUGE)

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MoonLadyIsis View Post
          you and your horse each need to be a member of USEF and USHJA...PLUS you have to become a member of the NAL and WIHS for the points won at classics to count...Entry fees at AA shows are easily above 500 bucks...(I believe the entry fee for the classics alone are around 250 and you usually have to compete in one or more Child/adult classes in order to compete in the classic) When I did the jumpers, I usually budgeted around 1000 bucks to compete in the child/adult division, plus the classic, plus entry/offices and a stall. Also, read the prize list very carefully because some of the child/adult classics are set at 1.15m instead of 1.10m. (its about 3 inches in difference but with a young horse that could be HUGE)
          Ok, thanks! If I were to do the classic Swan Lake Stables do you know if i would need to be a member of NAL and WIHS? Not sure if your familar with Swan Lake but there classic isn't a "big" as a show like WIHS or CC.

Comment

You don't need to be a NAL/WIHS member to show in the classics at a show (ie Swan Lake), but if you want to earn points towards going to the finals then you need to be a member.

Comment

you need to be a member of the NAL and WIHS for points at qualifying shows to count. if the classic is an NAL/WIHS classic, then yes you would need to be a member if you were attempting to use points earned there towards the invite list.....

Comment

If you are from an eventing background - make sure you know the different types of classes - speed, timed first jump off, power and speed that are offered in the Child Adult Jumpers. Also, hopefully your trainer knows about the 45 second "buzzer" and how the timer situation works. Don't want you to get disqualified by not knowing the rules of the game.

Also know that it's "formal attire" for any classics that you enter. White shirt and dark coat (black or navy). Many of the seasoned jumper riders will wear white breeches, but tan is acceptable.

Marshall & Sterling (M&S) , North American League (NAL) and Washington Horse Show (WIHS) all offer "finals" at the end of the year. You can compete in their classics without joining their organization, but if you want to compete at the Finals, you must accumulate points and be among the roughly top 30 in the Nation to get the invitation to compete at the Finals. You can only accumulate points by joining (yes, paying their membership fee) and competing and getting ribbons. Also know that it is the horse/rider combo that earns the points. Someone else showing your horse will not help you point wise.

All three of these groups have website...HITSSHOWS, RYEGATE are two of the three.

With Capital Challenge - he with the fastest entry blank and check in the show office's hands - gets to go. Everyone Federal Expresses them in.

Enjoy. And have fun.

Comment

I did the Children/Adult jumper's at Capital Challenge this year. The entry fee for two classes was $500 (not including stall, office fees, etc.) I'm pretty sure that I had my entry post marked on the closing date and I had no problem getting in. The classic at CC is 3'9".

Comment

To do Zone 3 regionals at local day, you have to be in the top 25 for zone points. If you are already entered for WIHS, you may not want to do local day, which is usually on Sunday with the adults going the next Wednesday at Washington. If you do not get into Washington, the adult champion from local day gets a wildcard entry to go downtown.
                    Ride on!

Comment

All the membership information for NAL/WIHS can be found on www.ryegate.com! You can also check points, rules, show schedules, and everything else on the website.
                      flogarty
                      "It is difficult not to be unjust to what one loves" Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                      X