• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Davidson College, Emory University and Rice University?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davidson College, Emory University and Rice University?

Anyone have specifics on the riding teams and local riding situations? Any other information on the school is greatly appreciated. I'm hitting the end of the college process with a list at:

Dartmouth
    W&L (thanks to the alums who I've already talked to! You guys totally sold me )
    Sewanee
    UVA
    UNC (Chapel Hill)
    Hamilton College

(All definite/apps in)

Possible: Rhodes and Claremont McKenna

Considering: Vanderbilt, Davidson, Emory, and Rice.

I'm interested in studying International Relations and Public Policy, possibly Business (would like to go to business school and would love a school with a 4+1 MBA but not a must), maybe do a creative writing minor too. As you can tell from the list, I don't really care much about the size of the school, but I feel really strongly about having a strong community feel and relatively small class sizes. I am pretty aggressive in getting my points across, have no problem speaking up in class, and understand I may have to seek out connections, but I want accessible professors.

I have decided that riding is really important to me and I want to be riding 6 days a week between team, free rides (which some of my "definite" schools offer), and a possible lease. (I know that there is lots of advice to be had on this topic, but I'm pretty sure that is what I want and I know I can have it at several of the schools on my definite list.)

Anyways, that was longer than I intended. Any final schools to fill out my list a bit further are much appreciated! I am really happy with my list so far, and it fills the niches of reach, middle, and safety-ish, but I figure it could stand to be a bit longer as middle ranges are far from definite (and I'm not sure if I even believe my college counselor on what is a middle range...yikes!) especially since I did some finals this year and thus my senior fall grades might not be as pretty as usual....

Thanks!
    “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
    (}---{)

Okay....i could be a bit biased but have you considered Virginia Tech? I saw UVA (also a good school) and W&L and thought another Virginia school might be up for your consideration.

The business school is ranked in the top 50 and they have the 4+1 MBA. The equestrian teams competes in ISHA hunter and western and IDA and there are plenty of hunter/jumper barns around Blacksburg offering leases and free rides. I rode almost daily for 4 years at VT without owning my own horse.

Maybe just a little biased VT, the business school, and riding are right up my alley

Good Luck picking your school. Its an exciting time!

Comment

Atlanta is a very horsey place, and a lovely city.

There were only 2 riding facilities directly near Emory-- Little Creek And Vogt's. I believe Little Creek has closed. Vogt's was strictly dressage. If you have a car (and you will need one to get by in Atlanta) there are numerous options in any discipline in several directions. The main horsey area is Alpharetta, but there are nice pockets of areas in other directions with barns too. Costs are (as compared to my Mid-Atlantic experience) just a touch on the cheaper side, but not much. Plenty of A Circuit and quality. Also a very nice, strong local/schooling circuit.

I went to Emory for law school, not undergrad, so someone else might be better able than me to comment on the IHSA team. It's a very good school with good academics. Quite small. I found its size a bit jarring, coming from PSU, it's really a small campus where everyone knows everyone else. Classes are small. Professors are good. I think of it as being especially strong for business and liberal arts, less strong in sciences. But then, the school of medicine is fabulous, so maybe my perceptions are wrong?!

The campus is in a pretty, safe suburb. Within driving distance of the "city" part of Atlanta. The city really has everything to offer, is diverse, and is metropolitan. I absolutely LOVE Atlanta.
      ~Veronica
      "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
      http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

If you want a competitive international studies program and MBA, I would highly, highly recommend the University of Minnesota. We have one of the best business schools in the country (Carlson School of Management) and it has a 97% job placement rate for graduating seniors.

Riding-wise, there are a lot of barns just outside the Twin Cities, and the school has both a western and English IHSA team. Campus is pretty urban depending on which side you're on; most of the campus is in Minneapolis, but there's also a St. Paul campus, which has all the vet med and agriculture stuff.

PM me if you want! I don't know all that much about Carlson, but I do know people in that program and could find out for you.
        http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
        Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

Emory's team is based out of a barn in Alpharetta. Long drive mileage-wise and Atlanta traffic is horrific.

Comment

Yes, yes. Traffic sucks!

I am assuming as a college student, that you would have the sort of schedule that is flexible and allows you to ride during the day and not be on the road during rush hour.

But yes, rush hour traffic in Atlanta is pretty wretched.

Not nearly as soul-killing as say, Philadelphia, DC, or LA... but yes, pretty horrid.
            ~Veronica

Comment

I am always looking for a Notre Dame student or two to help me keep my herd exercised! There is a riding team with a very nice new facility, but I'd prefer to steal away someone for my purposes -- I have 3 to ride and they could all use more work. For the right person (a hard-working, dedicated, nice person I enjoyed riding with who would help keep the barn and ring in order), I would consider picking up a project horse as I have some extra stalls.

I would pick a school based on academic fit -- you can make the horse thing work almost anywhere. There are always ammies with farms like me who are looking for a helping hand. If you really want to ride, opportunities are always available.

Comment

My brother went to Davidson, was a history major and landed a great job in finance in NYC. He had 3-4 finance job offers as a 2011 graduate.

He loved it.

I struggled to decide between Davidson and W&L. I was accepted at both, but at the time Davidson did not have an IHSA team. I think that they do now. Anne, a poster here (I think that is her screen name), went to Davidson.

Davidson doesn't have sororities, but does have "eating houses," which are decided by a lottery. There are fraternities.

There is a tack shop in downtown Davidson, which is always a good sign. I think that the Davidson area is pretty dressage-heavy, but you are allowed to have a car as a freshman so if you could find a H/J trainer in the area, it wouldn't be too hard to get there. Another bonus is that the school is close to Charlotte, so you've got a major airport, lots of shopping, etc all nearby.

It's worth a visit. Lots of the same "pluses" as W&L -- great faculty, lovely campus. It doesn't have a business major -- it's more of a solidly liberal arts school than W&L -- but it's not hard to get a job in business/finance after graduating from Davidson. They have a great alumni network, lots of on-campus recruiting visits, etc.

And the basketball team is an added bonus!

Comment

Also wanted to add that I also looked at and applied to Vandy. Nashville is amazing, but I am a country music fool so I might be a bit biased. I think I decided it was too big for me, and ended up deciding between Davidson and W&L.

Comment

Davidson is a really nice area to live, small community, puts a big focus on everything being walk/rideable. And there are some good jumper trainers in the area, some have their own barns, and others will come to you. There are several bigname eventers that give lessons in that area as well.

My sister went to UVA and loved it up there. She much prefered the feel of it over UNCC where she is now. She also found plenty of barns in the area to ride at, and I *think* there are more BNT in hunters around Charlottesville than Davidson.

Both of the towns are small, but you have a little bit faster/closer access to a big city when needed at Davidson than UVA. They both have a good variety of cultural activities, and a lot of Davidson is health oriented, so if you're looking for organic/gluten-free/local grown/etc type stores/resturants you'll have lots of choices!
                    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Comment

Mount Holyoke College!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Great suggestions and information, I really appreciate it. Now I probably should turn of my computer and hit the Calculus textbooks .

And Student, I wish I could do it, but I've done the all-girls thing for high school and I think it's time to enter the world where women are the 51% minority (clearly my feminist education has done me well thus far).
                        “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
                        (}---{)

Comment

Originally posted by Ben and Me View Post
                          My brother went to Davidson, was a history major and landed a great job in finance in NYC. He had 3-4 finance job offers as a 2011 graduate.

He loved it.

I struggled to decide between Davidson and W&L. I was accepted at both, but at the time Davidson did not have an IHSA team. I think that they do now. Anne, a poster here (I think that is her screen name), went to Davidson.

Davidson doesn't have sororities, but does have "eating houses," which are decided by a lottery. There are fraternities.

There is a tack shop in downtown Davidson, which is always a good sign. I think that the Davidson area is pretty dressage-heavy, but you are allowed to have a car as a freshman so if you could find a H/J trainer in the area, it wouldn't be too hard to get there. Another bonus is that the school is close to Charlotte, so you've got a major airport, lots of shopping, etc all nearby.

It's worth a visit. Lots of the same "pluses" as W&L -- great faculty, lovely campus. It doesn't have a business major -- it's more of a solidly liberal arts school than W&L -- but it's not hard to get a job in business/finance after graduating from Davidson. They have a great alumni network, lots of on-campus recruiting visits, etc.

And the basketball team is an added bonus!
                          My daughter attends Davidson. She is not a horsebackrider, but its a great school!!
                          https://www.facebook.com/Luckyacresfarm
                          https://www.facebook.com/Ulrike-Bsch...4373849955364/

Comment

• Original Poster

Bump to add Wake Forest to the list. Thanks!
                            (}---{)

Comment

I did not go to Davidson but my parents live near there so I'm familiar with the area. I would choose Wake Forest, and ride with Pat and Keith. They would be my choice if you went to Davidson, too, but the commute would be better from Wake Forest.

Comment

I would like to add that I am currently riding at W&L and if you want any information, please send me a PM.
                                Sarah A. Ward

Washington and Lee University Riding

Comment

I live a few miles from Davidson College, I love the area
                                  Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions!
                                  ~ Unexpected ~

Comment

I'll pipe in about Rice -- I went there for many years for both undergrad and grad school. From an academic standpoint, it sounds like it would be a great fit for what you're looking for. The professors are very accessible, they're always there for office hours and many of them eat lunch and socialize with students. The majority of my classes were <20 people. It is traditionally more of an engineering school, but they have a good public policy program and the Baker Institute is a fantastic resource. Several of my friends were English majors and raved about their creative writing classes. The business school is pretty good and they've definitely made it a priority in recent years, there's now a business minor for undergrads. I really liked Houston, it's not the prettiest place, but the people are wonderful and there's plenty to do.

From a riding standpoint, it's doable, but probably not as easy as other places. The campus is in the city and the nice barns are not, so it'd probably be at least a 30min drive, maybe closer to an hour, depending on what exactly you're looking for. I didn't ride during undergrad and picked it back up during grad school. I know a IHSA team started there recently, but not sure what their status is.

Feel free to PM me if you want any other info

Comment

No to Emory if you have concerns about riding well. The farm isn't close to school and if you want to ride with someone who has a respectable reputation I might keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by xxreddxheaddxx View Post
                                        No to Emory if you have concerns about riding well. The farm isn't close to school and if you want to ride with someone who has a respectable reputation I might keep looking.
                                        Really, you don't find there to be one trainer with a respectable reputation in all of Atlanta and its suburbs?!
                                        ~Veronica

Comment

Working...
                                        X