• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

SCAD- equestrian team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCAD- equestrian team

I have been looking at SCAD- Savannah College of Art and Design. Wondering if anyone knows anything about the equestrian program and/or the team?

It is quite fabulous! They have an amazing team, barn, horses, director...only downside is I don't think its inexpensive.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Comment

Originally posted by pwderblu17 View Post
      I have been looking at SCAD- Savannah College of Art and Design. Wondering if anyone knows anything about the equestrian program and/or the team?
      The facility is gorgeous.
      I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

Cannot say enough nice things about their facility. Absolutely beautiful. Here's a link to their facility and directions

http://www.scadathletics.com/sports/...ath=equestrian

Comment

Agree with what everyone else has said. SCAD has won ANRC for the last several years in a row, with great riders and horses. They also hosted last year, and the facility was gorgeous!

Comment

I just transferred from SCAD and was an equestrian studies major. Great facility and looks awesome on paper, but I was not happy (along with some others) with a lot of things once I got there and got involved with the team. I'll PM you details. Anyone else can feel free to PM me as well if they would like specifics...

Comment

Originally posted by DNB View Post
              I just transferred from SCAD and was an equestrian studies major. Great facility and looks awesome on paper, but I was not happy (along with some others) with a lot of things once I got there and got involved with the team. I'll PM you details. Anyone else can feel free to PM me as well if they would like specifics...
              Interesting... you went to a design school to be an equestrian studies major? OP, if you're going to SCAD, you're going to SCAD for its programs and the prestige of going to a well known art and design school, not for their equestrian team.... I would say that would be just a perk if it's a beautiful place with nice horses and coaches.

I made the mistake of getting too much into the riding team when I was in school... and then I realize it was just that... a riding team. It was nice to be on it, but it took a professor who cared to tell me that I had to realize why I went to that school. ;P

Just make sure you weigh what options and see what is more important to you, then make the choice. Even if the team isn't great, don't do it if you're going to SCAD for the art/design thing. After all, it's only 4 years (or a bit more)

Comment

Originally posted by horsegal301 View Post
                Interesting... you went to a design school to be an equestrian studies major? OP, if you're going to SCAD, you're going to SCAD for its programs and the prestige of going to a well known art and design school, not for their equestrian team.... I would say that would be just a perk if it's a beautiful place with nice horses and coaches.

I made the mistake of getting too much into the riding team when I was in school... and then I realize it was just that... a riding team. It was nice to be on it, but it took a professor who cared to tell me that I had to realize why I went to that school. ;P

Just make sure you weigh what options and see what is more important to you, then make the choice. Even if the team isn't great, don't do it if you're going to SCAD for the art/design thing. After all, it's only 4 years (or a bit more)
                Yes, SCAD has an equestrian studies major and I was planning on also doing photography, so I actually did go there for the "art and design thing" as well. A lot of people on the team aren't equestrian studies majors either.

Comment

Originally posted by horsegal301 View Post
                  I think most people do go to SCAD for the riding. I've known quite a few people who went to SCAD and they all went for the riding. I'm certainly not saying that is the right thing to do.

I went to a college because of the riding program. I was miserable there and left after 1 year. I wish I would have picked a regular college and ridden in the side

Comment

Originally posted by Jewels09 View Post
                    I think most people do go to SCAD for the riding. I've known quite a few people who went to SCAD and they all went for the riding. I'm certainly not saying that is the right thing to do.

I went to a college because of the riding program. I was miserable there and left after 1 year. I wish I would have picked a regular college and ridden in the side
                    I made that mistake as well and left after one year, I didn't pick the college because of the programing I was majoring in, I picked it because of the team. Bad decision on my part

Comment

I've had friends that went to SCAD and it has a wonderful art/design program. They were very happy with the equestrian program as well. They offer good scholarships based on talent, academics,etc that help offset the cost.
                      It's a lot like nuts and bolts - if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts! ~Nicholas Evans

Comment

The people I knew who went to SCAD went for their art program, but I did happen to grow up just over the river from Savannah.

That said, their riding program is wonderful and their facilities are top notch (besides being built practically in the marshy/swamp). As a matter of fact, my childhood neighbor does all of the landscaping for their facility, which now also has a soccer field (and maybe a track?).
                        Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
                        My equine soulmate
                        Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

I think for anyone looking at colleges - it's more important to find a school that has the right feel than to select a college based on the riding team only.
                          Last edited by ponymom64; Nov. 25, 2011, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I actually attend SCAD right now, and I'm a member of the equestrian team, as well as a double major in photography and equestrian studies. I can't say enough good things about the team, and the program itself. We have a fabulous coach, awesome professors, and we're very lucky to have our facility and horses. I chose the school because it had EVERYTHING I was looking for... not just a great team, or a great photo program, or the eq studies, it was everything! Our team is great, and Ashley really does know her stuff, my equitation has never been better! I'd go into more but, really, if you have any questions feel free to PM me!

But please, make sure you go to this school not JUST for the team.

Comment

pwderblu17, my daughter attends SCAD and is on the team. She just finished her first quarter, and we are very pleased with the school all around. Her classes have about 15-20 students and the professors are very good. She got a lot of one on one attention. She is very happy with the school overall and says she can't imagine going anywhere else.

She is on the equestrian team and gets a lot of time in the saddle. The team is doing very well so far this year. They are sitting in first place in their region with a sizable lead over the 2nd place team - there are still 4 shows left before the Regional show. Her teammates are wonderful. I have had the pleasure of meeting many of them while attending the shows. The returning team members have been very welcoming to the freshman joining the team, and they have a lot of team spirit. I was happy to see everyone cheering each other on instead of the nastiness or jealousy you sometimes experience in the horse world. They try to get together and do fun things as a team as well. The facility is gorgeous - you really must go visit if you are interested in the school. I recommend going for one of the SCAD days - they are very well organized and you will learn a lot about the school.

Another thing about the equestrian team at SCAD that is different from most other teams is they pay for everything. They will also outfit you with show clothes if needed - you just need to bring a helmet and boots. You don't need to bring any of your grooming supplies either. You are welcome to bring your saddle, but it is not necessary.

I really do recommend you visit as many schools as possible. You really do get a feel if the school is a good fit or not by going to the school and taking a tour. It's important to find a school that fits you. Good luck in your search and don't hesitate to ask specific questions.
                              www.ourlifetastesgood.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X