• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Funny and bad falls! Do tell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny and bad falls! Do tell

I always (as bad as it sounds) enjoy hearing people's stories of falling of mainly because after some time passes every one looks back and has good humor about it. Please share your bad or funny falls whether they are jumping or on the flat.

One of my funny falls was that i was riding this little pony bareback in the snow and she was a bit jumpy. I'd ridden her numerous times, all bareback, but she did not like the snow. I was heading towards the trails and she reared, did a 180 and then just stopped. I stayed on for the rear but as soon as she spun that behind of hers around I was on the icy gravel driveway in no time! She just looks at me like "Well, it WAS scary ok! Weren't you scared too?"

As for one of my bad falls....was test riding a mare that i was considering leasing. GIANT 16.3 hand xracehorse and x-eventer. She was 22 yr and 'bombroof' and 'kidsafe' and 'anyone can ride' as they said. SO NOT TRUE. It wasn't that she was spooky but she was FAST. She just wanted to go go go. I got on her and within three minutes of being on her she decided to take a hike and took off galloping for the high way! My mom's eye balls were as big as saucers and the owner was screaming at me but I didn't hear any of it. All I was thinking of is "I really don't want ot get hit by a car so I think I should bale now----" then she spun away from the road at the last second and I went one way and she went the other. Landed on my back and bruised my tail bone and lower back and pinched a nerve in my neck.

Phew. I've had several other falls and broken my collar bone too but now I wanna hear YOUR stories.

I haven't ever had a funny fall--I tend to break, not bounce.

Which leads to my bad fall:

(I suppose the beginning is funny...)

My horse doesn't like cows, especially the mooing of cows. I was in a lesson, nearly 2 years ago, now, when my dear friend "Jane" began mooing like a cow, while I was jumping around. As I came up the line, by the open side of our indoor, I was laughing hysterically, and not really...well...focused. Mr. Horse and I became discombobulated and he stopped--not dirty, just "hey, lady, um..yeah, that distance you're seeing..kind of too long for a 2'9" oxer...just sayin'". I rolled off his left shoulder and in trying to avoid landing IN the jump, I curled and landed ON the ground line. All my weight, concentrated on the upper 3 inches of my left arm.

I broke the head of the humerus into pieces (at least 4), broke 3-5 ribs (that was never made clear to me) and the tip of my shoulder blade. 3 surgeries, months in rehab, injection, more rehab and nearly a year out of the saddle.

All in all, pretty sucky. But, like a true horseman, I made a sling from my belt, drove myself to the hospital and asked my surgeon how soon I'd be riding again. He shook his head, and said "you horse people, all crazy!"
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Both of my most recent falls have looked pretty nasty but weren't too bad. Now I am usually really good at staying on but this year has just kinda went down hill...

1st fall was off the cute chestnut "hony" We were cantering towards a 2'6 jump and at the base of the jump he did a nasty refusal and I went flying through the standard. It all happened so fast! I wasn't hurt at all(surprisingly.. since I DID kinda take out that standard with my arm. -_-) Just shocked.

2nd fall happened when the horse I had ridden had an entire week off. He was being really "frisky". He does annoying little shenanagins a lot & I've never fallen off because of them... but we were cantering around the corner of the ring and he let out a MASSIVE buck. Next thing I am staring right at the sky while flying atleast 5 feet.... then I see the dirt... but I must have been going so fast I managed to flip over IN THE AIR and land on my butt.... It was the scariest fall I've had & it really hurt my bum.

But I am so grateful and lucky that I didn't hurt myself badly on either fall. Both could have ended so badly!!!

Comment

I'll play

Funny fall: Riding pony bareback who had just been clipped (show sheen to the max) when something in the adjoining field beside the ring spooked him. He does a little scoot to the right and I proceed to slip to the left, temporarily catching my balance on my left leg. The inertia however carries me forward at a much higher rate of speed than my other leg can take the next step, so it was kind of a land--delayed hop--trip, then SPLAT. Flat out on my face. I couldn't stop laughing, even as I laid there on the ground.

Bad fall: X-mas EVE. Schooling greenie-beanie over the open water (6') for the first time. We manufacture it, but he jumps it, so I figure once more just to polish our approach. I pop him over a small vertical before heading back to the water, but on landing he starts shaking his head. My gut tells me to pull up but in my brain all I hear is my trainer from the pony days yelling at me "YOU'D HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT IN THE SHOW RING! KEEP GOING! " (He was a fire-breather, oh yes ) So I press him on. We make the turn, he shakes his head again (3 strides out) and a bug flies out. My eyes are huge but we're right there, I say GO and he says NO. ADIOS! and veers right. I of course veer left.

I thought I broke my back at first the way I'd landed. My upper body was straight but my hips were twisted to the right, with my legs contorted to the left. I wiggled my toes, and since they moved I started to drag myself back up. Friend brought the horse back, I climbed back on, flatted for a few minutes, and we jumped around a few other small jumps before going back to the water, which he jumped beautifully. It wasn't until I hopped off him that I felt my left leg drop out from the socket.

Went to the hospital thinking maybe it was just dislocated. They flexed the joint all over & said it was fine, that I'd be home within the hour. Nurse came in and took my vitals just for routine and was disturbed by my abnormally low blood pressure. Another nurse came in to stick my finger, and she couldn't get any blood. Next thing I know, there are 5 nurses & a doc trying to get an IV into my arm (then hand, wrist, ankle) to no avail. I get carted off to MRI, CT scan, and x-ray, and lo & behold, I've cracked the socket and sheared off a chunk of my hip bone with the muscle still attached, which is now bleeding internally. Doc then tells me I'm going into surgery the next morning. The minor details are fuzzy at this point, but I do remember asking if I was being Punk'd.

I was out for the whole season, bedrest for 4 months, then had 6 months of PT after it. I'll tell you, nothing was more frustrating than mentally knowing that I SHOULD be able to complete such a simple task like lifting a 5lb weight with my leg, but physically being absolutely incapable. Yeah.. that was a bad year!

Comment

i fell off of a green horse named Poco about 12 years ago. it was bareback day at the end of the lesson season and we all went through the pond. upon coming out of the water, he freaked out at the water dripping off of him and took off and headed straight for a tree, where i had to duck, and come off.

my most recent fall, my mare kept running out of a 2ft vertical and finally i fell to the left and went into the standard and knocked it down. i rolled right onto my feet and limped over to catch her saying "urgh you horse!" i found when i got home that the cups had ripped holes through my tights and i was bleeding everywhere.
          Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
          Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Comment

I had a total random slow motion fluke of a fall off my new jumper for the first time today. He is a dork in our indoor arena. Must be vary cautious about the big door going outside at the beginning of each ride cause clearly a horse eating monster will attack from there at any moment. Normally after a few passes each way he is fine.

Well once he stopped looking out the door I must have let my guard down a little. We were just trotting around, he spooked at something in the corner near the door instead. Did a sudden side step that normally wouldn't unseat me but not today. Started sliding off, reached a point where I could have tried to stay on but would have been in vain and just made the fall worse so I just went with it.

Horse stopped and looked at me with a total "what are you doing down there" look on his face.

Hmmm... how do I explain this one to the chiro on wed lol.

Comment

I posted these two on the adult re-rider thread.

The funny. This was this Thursday night, the rut (deer mating) is in full swing.:

Oy, I'm here with a really sore right hip after Caly spooked hard at some deer that flashed by the door to the arena last night.

We were on a nice canter when we went by the open door that faces woods and she saw some deer flash by in the dark. She took off on this wild bolt and turned hard at the corner which dropped me on my hip. Luckily the footing in this place is very soft.

We finished our ride last night, but at a much lower intensity than I had planned. I could barely post, but sitting the trot and canter were fine so I drove her past the scary spot as many times as I could working transitions and some leg yields and called it a night.

Update: I rode yesterday and today and everything's fine except my RH hip is a little sore and the bruise is reaching epic proportions.

The bad. This was last March:

About a month later (second week of March) I got into a pulling match with my lesson horse while trying to slow him down. He broke into a canter and I started to lose my seat. Knowing that I was going to come off one way or the other, I decided to do it on my own as he slowed because of other horses in the arena. At that point I slid off his left side. Somehow or another my right leg stayed on his back until I was halfway down his side and I hyperextended my groin/hip joint something fierce. When I landed I lawndarted with my lumbar region first. I immediately knew something was very wrong as I could not bear any weight on my legs and it took me the best part of ten minutes to stand up. Some people wanted to call the rescue squad but I just waved them off and eventually stood up and hobbled back to my car. My right hip joint made a crunchy sensation as I did this.

I drove home and had to have my wife help me out of the car. I asked her to get the old crutches out of the closet. Once I had them I tried to hobble up the steps from the garage to the house. I couldn't even clear the first step. So I told the wifey to get her keys and drive me to the urgent care clinic.

There I got moved to the head of the line when wife told receptionist what had happened. The doc took a quick look at me and dialed 911 to get the FD EMS unit to transport me to the ER. I spent the next hour and a half in the EMS back board and didn't get unstrapped until the ran radiographs and MRI of my spine, pelvis, and hip joints. Turned out my hip was not dislocated as I though (but it had to come close), my spine was fine, internals fine, tailbone cracked, and pelvis was severely bruised with pinched nerves everywhere.

My MD did nothing to treat my injuries, even after seeing me, reading the ER report, and me telling her everything. I just got pain meds and told that I needed rest. Eventually my chiropractor cured me and now I am pain free.

Comment

Originally posted by Jive View Post
                I had a total random slow motion fluke of a fall off my new jumper for the first time today. He is a dork in our indoor arena. Must be vary cautious about the big door going outside at the beginning of each ride cause clearly a horse eating monster will attack from there at any moment. Normally after a few passes each way he is fine.

Well once he stopped looking out the door I must have let my guard down a little. We were just trotting around, he spooked at something in the corner near the door instead. Did a sudden side step that normally wouldn't unseat me but not today. Started sliding off, reached a point where I could have tried to stay on but would have been in vain and just made the fall worse so I just went with it.

Horse stopped and looked at me with a total "what are you doing down there" look on his face.

Hmmm... how do I explain this one to the chiro on wed lol.
                LOL.....I see you were done in by the horse eating monster waiting at the barn door just like I was........

Comment

Anyone know what 'star thistles' are? Bushy little bas^&%s with incredibly sharp little pricklies. I was 9 I think, riding Smokey - a clever (read too smart for his own good) little Welch pony. There was a large patch of star thistles right next to one of the fences on an outside course. Came pounding up to the fence, Smokey ducked right - I ducked left. Into the middle of the large patch of thistles. My mother was there to pull me out. Back on - second time, rinse, repeat. Mom was there once again. Third time - and I again land in the middle of the patch. My mother by this time, was laughing so hard she couldn't pull me out. It hurt to move but it hurt more to sit still. I don't remember if I ever got over that bloody jump or not. Days like that made me tough.

Comment

Funny fall.... Last summer, hot day and trainer decided to take some of the little girls on the school horses to play around in the XC field.
                    I was tacking up my bi... mare and my trainer told me to come to the field and help watch the small kids and make sure that they don't fall off. Ok, sure, sounds fun! All of the little kids are cantering around and having a good old time.
                    I decide to canter the witch down a little hill. Next thing I know, she puts her head down and proceeds to buck all of the way down the hill! Stayed on for about 3 bucks and came flying off. Mare runs off, breaks my favorite pair of plaited reins that are about 30 years old. Worst part was that I had to keep my language clean. It's still a barn joke!

Comment

• Original Poster

LMBO

Some of these are so funny! Keep 'em coming!

Comment

Funny falls, I've had several.

#1- Horse stopped at a fence, put his head down and i ended up laying on his neck. Head went further down and I flipped over his head, ended up on the other side of the fence holding the browband.

#2- Pony stopped at a 2' fence, my 10 year old self went over his head and landed on the other side of the jump. He then realized he was supposed to jump the jump and jumped over me and stopped and looked around.

#3- Pony bucked through a lead change and I ended up high on his neck. I realized there was no recovering and slid off, landing on my feet, tripped on my spur and fell down.

Bad fall- Horse bucked after a fence, I went to push myself up off his neck, missed, and fell off, landing right on the top of my head. I was ok, just sore, but I was much more worried that my horse ran off then worried for my safety.

Comment

Calvincrowe...I'll remember not to moo when hacking him.

My funniest fall is when I was bounced off my horse in a bounce lol. I was wearing a thong and ripped my jeans all the way up along the seam of my backside. My instructor didn't let me use this as an excuse and told me to do it again. It was a very cold and rainy evening and my cheek was very cold. I was so worried I was going to moon everyone as I went by that I sat up and rode better than ever. I always swore I was going to invent some backless breeches for those that like to get perchy and forward. This cured me that particular night...it was either lean and flash the world or sit up and keep some of my dignity...notice I said "some."

Comment

Ah..Minipony! You have THE worst luck and it makes all of us at the barn laugh!Your story makes me glad I always put on clean "granny panties" and a nice, firm support bra before riding. It would be my luck to sport something sketchy and need those cute firemen to get me nekkid!

I did earn the name "The Flying Wallenda" when I first began hunters--spent a lot of time one-legged and nearly falling off, and hailed a lot of taxis (one arm up in the air, flailing for balance).
                            Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

So glad to be back
                              Originally posted by Calvincrowe View Post
                              I haven't ever had a funny fall--I tend to break, not bounce.

Which leads to my bad fall:

(I suppose the beginning is funny...)

My horse doesn't like cows, especially the mooing of cows. I was in a lesson, nearly 2 years ago, now, when my dear friend "Jane" began mooing like a cow, while I was jumping around. As I came up the line, by the open side of our indoor, I was laughing hysterically, and not really...well...focused. Mr. Horse and I became discombobulated and he stopped--not dirty, just "hey, lady, um..yeah, that distance you're seeing..kind of too long for a 2'9" oxer...just sayin'". I rolled off his left shoulder and in trying to avoid landing IN the jump, I curled and landed ON the ground line. All my weight, concentrated on the upper 3 inches of my left arm.

I broke the head of the humerus into pieces (at least 4), broke 3-5 ribs (that was never made clear to me) and the tip of my shoulder blade. 3 surgeries, months in rehab, injection, more rehab and nearly a year out of the saddle.

All in all, pretty sucky. But, like a true horseman, I made a sling from my belt, drove myself to the hospital and asked my surgeon how soon I'd be riding again. He shook his head, and said "you horse people, all crazy!"
                              Originally posted by Calvincrowe View Post
                              Ah..Minipony! You have THE worst luck and it makes all of us at the barn laugh!Your story makes me glad I always put on clean "granny panties" and a nice, firm support bra before riding. It would be my luck to sport something sketchy and need those cute firemen to get me nekkid!

I did earn the name "The Flying Wallenda" when I first began hunters--spent a lot of time one-legged and nearly falling off, and hailed a lot of taxis (one arm up in the air, flailing for balance).

Comment

Not funny, but MOST embarrasing....and the only time I have ever fallen off in the ring.
                                At the Dublin Horse Show in Ireland, riding a horse that had a bad stopping problem. I'd done pretty well with him at smaller shows by riding him very compressed and in hand, but this was a speed class. (Which I've never been very good at anyway.) I was so intimidated - HUGE arena, big jumps, thousands of people. The third or fourth fence was away from the gate and was a triple bar oxer thingie made up of two rows of wine barrels (smaller in front, larger behind) and then poles behind that. I see it vividly still! I came roaring around the corner and he stopped as dirty as they come. I flew over his head and landed between the rows of wine barrels and the poles came down on top. Horse ran off to the gate. I had to scrabble my way out from under all of it and walk what seemed like MILES to get to the out gate as a polite ripple of applause followed me. It was HORRIBLE!

Comment

Second lesson on a 17h neurotic - the kind that if you are ok, so is he, but if you tense up the slightest, he looks for monsters. why I thought this was a good idea......

So there are 4 of us in the lesson - something goes CRACK in the woods and everybody spooks. The first thing I feel is the rocket launcher hind end gather under neath and shove forward. And we are off. Brain freezes - mouth saying whoa - hands with death grip - part of brain saying let go - other party saying "are you kidding?????. We come around and have about 5 choices - 1: stop - uh no. 2: I could have turned him in a circle if my brain worked. 3: Keep running around the ring. 4: Run into the other horse and rider right in front of us. 5: Jump out of the ring.

Horse chose 5. I managed to ride the jump I(please don't let me fall on the fence), felt myself slipping - and bailed. Ground outside the ring is hard.

Only injury (luckily) is a huge bruise on the top of my left foot - must have gotten whacked by the iron on the way off.

My trainer: You landed the jump - what did you let go for????
                                  And nothing bad happened!

Comment

Funny one:
                                    Cantered a horse up to a little 2'3 vertical, came in totally crooked. Horse stopped, and after he came to a full stop I slowly slid off the side and landed on my feet. Mr. Coach looked at me, rolled his eyes and told me to get back on.

Bad One:
                                    Two summers ago, was riding a jerk of an appy pony, who in the previous month had already dumped me 3 times. We cantered a little warm-up jump and he knocked the rail. He then took offence to the fact taht he hit the rail and took off bucking.... HARD. I stayed on about halfway around the ring, and then finally lost it. Basically landed on the front part of my helmet so that it slammed down onto my nose. I remember the whole thing thankfully. Got back on him and finiished the lesson, then got on my coach's 3yo who had been broke for all of 1 month. Rode him around for about 30 mins before I realized I was dizzy and had a headache. Coach pulled me off the horse very quickly after that and told me to go sit down.

First fall off of same pony:
                                    Cantered a 2'9 oxer on the diagonal, and he was super slow off the base. My coach told me to land and hit him. I did and he bucked and ducked out from under me. Landed face first in the dirt. When I looked up, my head was about 3ft away from one of the fence posts around the ring.

Comment

Funny fall: It was my first time showing one of my trainer's horses. My mom was very excited so she asked the photographer to be sure and get lots of pictures. So we go into the eq class and the first jump is perfect. Rollback to the second jump, and horse puts on the brakes! I wasn't expecting it and I flew off and landed on the other side of the jump on my head. This is a funny and not tragic fall because I was wearing a good helmet. I teetered on my head for a couple of seconds before falling all the way down. The best part is that the photographer I mentioned kept taking photos while I was falling. We bought them, and now my favorite horse pictures of myself are a series of 4 -- me flying through the air, landing on my head and finally coming to rest on the ground!

Bad fall: My mom gave me a terrible leg up onto my old 17hh quarter horse. On a gravel driveway. I landed behind my saddle which freaked the horse out, so he starts bucking and running. I didn't have the reins or a good seat since I was stuck behind the dang saddle, so I bailed. Onto the gravel road. Did I mention I was wearing a tank top? I slid a few feet on my left shoulder...which looked like hamburger meat for a good while afterward!
                                      "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Comment

In September I was riding one of my six year olds and decided to school him over some new jump boxes I had built (boxes were 2'6"-2'9"). Looking back, I should have warmed him up over some of our old jumps but I didn't think it would be that big of a deal.

Well, we cantered up to the jump and he started to suck back. He slowed way down, but I put my leg and spur on. He came to a completely stop and then, listening to my leg, jumped.

When he jumped my husband said we cleared the standards. This would have been a tough ride on any horse, but this guy in particular jumped really round anyways. When we landed, I was slightly off centered and had lost my stirrups. He then did his victory bucks (he was completely impressed with himself) and I decided to hop off rather than fight to stay on.

I landed on my feet and did a tuck and roll type maneuver. Unfortunately when I landed I heard a loud pop. I had a complete tear in my ACL and a partial tear in my lateral meniscus. So I've had surgery and now I can't ride until February .

Comment

Working...
                                        X