• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

how important is a show record?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how important is a show record?

Hi All,
    How important is a show record to all of you when considering purchasing a new horse? If they've been shown at decent shows and ribboned, but not "cleaned up", does that count? Or, is it more important that the horse have potential to grow and learn with you. And, the fact that the horse is honest, smart, willing to work, and enjoyable to ride...

Can I hear what you think? Thanks!

Originally posted by mrslipstick View Post
    Hi All,
    How important is a show record to all of you when considering purchasing a new horse? If they've been shown at decent shows and ribboned, but not "cleaned up", does that count? Or, is it more important that the horse have potential to grow and learn with you. And, the fact that the horse is honest, smart, willing to work, and enjoyable to ride...

It depends on what I am looking for. If I'm looking for a made show horse, I want to see ribbons in its division at the level of competition I need it to do. (For an "A" circuit low/mod jr jumper I want to see ribbons from big shows (Florida/Indoors/etc) in that division. For a local circuit children's equitation/children's hunter I'd want ribbons at C-rated shows.)

For a greener horse placings are less important (especially jumpers! we all understand {and appreciate!} that you don't to run your 4 year old jumper around the 3'3'' jumpers like a maniac) and I would put rideability, talent, potential, willingness to work and its brain in general higher on the list.

Comment

I'm 54. I want 'been there, done that, have the ribbons to prove it'. My old bones have no business on a green horse if there is any chance of baby hijinks.

If I was 28 and ride like I do now, I would likely be looking for a 4-6 year old to bring along.

Comment

Hi All,

Depends on what the horse is being marketed as. If it's a young horse that I'm considering for the baby/pre-greens, obviously I don't expect it to have a big show record, and I'm looking more at the horse's quality & potential.

If I'm looking for a competitive $$$ show horse, on the other hand, I want to see proof that the horse has done what it's being advertised for.
        We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
        -PaulaEdwina

Comment

A lot depends on price. If the horse is priced as a horse with a winning show record, I expect it to have one. If it is priced more as a prospect or middle of the roader, I would expect to see much less in the way of show results.

It also depends on what I am shopping for. If I want a fun horse to show then the "honest, smart, willing to work" qualities are going to be more important than show record.

If I am looking for a horse to hit the big shows with this season, I would be looking for a show record.

FWIW, generally I buy greenies and bring them along because I enjoy the journey (and a horse with a winning show record is often more than I am willing to spend ) but it is nice to see that the horse has at least been out there a little bit and been able to handle it
          Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
          Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rel6 View Post
            For a greener horse placings are less important (especially jumpers! we all understand {and appreciate!} that you don't to run your 4 year old jumper around the 3'3'' jumpers like a maniac) and I would put rideability, talent, potential, willingness to work and its brain in general higher on the list.
            This is consistent with what I have found buyers to expect of a nice green jumper. Lots of video of good, solid, clean or 4-fault rounds with low or no ribbons but showing a lot of scope is better/more valuable than something that wins all the time but doesn't have much talent. A confirmed children's horse is a $15-$20k horse, maybe if you are lucky. A talented horse currently doing 3'6 with scope for more is twice or three times that.

I got offered 6 figures for my first jumper several times and his record was very thin, largely due to my inexperience and mistakes. I was holding him back from a good career. Should have sold him if I had any sense! Instead he is buried out under the pines on the farm after a long retirement. I am much better at collecting horses than selling them so perhaps take my advice with a grain of salt.

Comment

Depends on how you market the horse and...as always...PRICE. And remember a record proves claims of show mileage.

If you advertise it as a Hunter? You need to have proof it can negotiate a show hunter course-doesn't have to win but it needs to get around pretty good, can be Green but no big blunders or disobedience. That will price it up but also tell the buyer what it is capable of.

If you say it is a potential Hunter or prospect? Less proof is needed-but it is going for less of a price then the same horse with a record would go for. If it's never been off the property and you do not have any access to real show jumps with decoration and actual measured distances? Not much to go on besides the seller's biased claims.

Know who your likely buyer is. Very important to your marketing strategy. Record is important to serious show buyers willing to pay for it. Not so important to those shopping with limited funds...but they have limited funds and are looking for a bargain.
              When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I think a solid show record shows consistency. There are always some highs and lows but if the record looks consistent under a variety of judges it says something about the horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

thank you everyone for your great advice! The horse is priced in the mid 5 figures. She has lots of good qualities...shown in the large juniors at A shows, but also in pre-childrens at 2 smaller shows. Even did low junior jumpers last year in Ocala over the winter. Nice horse, but not really good ribbons. But maybe rider didn't do the best job or the program the horse was in wasn't good fit. All I know is that I can get on, relax, and jump around a 3' course and I'm just moving up from 2'3 - 2'6 stuff! What do you think...too much $ for that? She's a nice mover but needs some training to go more like a hunter...

Comment

Show records of horses that have been shown by a junior or ammy can help paint a picture of what the horse has done and how it competes, but it can be hard to judge quality or performance of the horse based on its show record alone. It may be minor (or major) rider errors that keep the horse out of the ribbons, or at least in the low ribbons.

What I would look at, is consistency. Are there major gaps in the show record? They could be due to injuries or training issues, but they could also be due to finances or other commitments. I also like to see who is riding the horse. Is there a pro riding it? Is it the owner? Does it look like a lease situation? This can give you a bit of a picture as to what the horse needs to get through a show. Does the horse need to be prepped by a pro before it shows, or can a pre-childrens rider just get on and do reasonably well? Of course you will want to confirm with the seller, but the show record helps back up their story.

Another good thing to consider is the venues and number of entries. As you are aware, not all competition is the same.

It sounds like the horse you are trying is potentially a good match and that it has enough of a show record to give you an idea of what it has done.

Comment

You can't really boil it down to show record v. price. If you are just moving into the 3' division, you need a horse that will allow you to get comfortable jumping at that height, more than one that can win at that height.

I think show record is most important when you have $$$ to spend and are looking to compete at a higher level. And as a prior poster pointed out, inconsistencies in a show record are easily "explained" away, and may not paint an accurate picture of what the horse is (or is not) capable of doing.

If I was moving into the 3' division, I would consider purchasing a horse that consistently does really well at the local or B/C level, and is a great ride, especially since it is such a great buyers market, and I would look to spend as little $$ as possible. Once I was comfy riding at that level, maybe trade up to a flashier model. The buyers market will persevere for at least 5 more years.
                      Man plans. God laughs.

Comment

Sometimes the rider makes the horse. Check Fabricio's show record, before Morgan Geller started riding him. He had a decent show record, but not stellar. Once Morgan started riding him, they became a fantastic team and his record represents that. With some horses it is the partnership between horse and rider that makes the show record.

Comment

The horse is priced in the mid 5 figures. She has lots of good qualities...shown in the large juniors at A shows, but also in pre-childrens at 2 smaller shows. Even did low junior jumpers last year in Ocala over the winter. Nice horse, but not really good ribbons.... All I know is that I can get on, relax, and jump around a 3' course and I'm just moving up from 2'3 - 2'6 stuff! What do you think...too much $ for that? She's a nice mover but needs some training to go more like a hunter...
                          If she had Large Junior Hunter ribbons, preferably in classes with more entries then ribbons?? She should not need alot more training. I'd need a lot more info like where she was showing the Juniors and who the trainer was before I could give you any meaningful comments about price.

But offhand, a little on the high side for what she is doing lately if she is priced at 50k, probably reasonable at 25k or so, maybe 30k assuming she is high quality, attractive, sound, between 7 and about 11 and those Junior Hunter ribbons were legit at AAs. If not, she is way high at 50k and maybe at 25. The fact she went to the Jumpers and did the 2'6" local classes could be a clue...or not. It's bad market and somebody must have paid the bills, better then staying home doing nothing.

Important thing is you are comfortable on her doing what you are buying her to do...just remember that, unless the seller is brain dead, she is getting ridden alot and kept at her absolute best as a sale horse. Any interest in a trial? At that price, it is fairly common between trainers well known to each other to make sure of the match. 1 to 2 weeks.

Sometimes I think that if you like the horse, it proves suitable and you can (easily) afford it? No sense going on and on and on trying to find another perfect match that is 5k less or something.

But if it is not a forever horse and you know you will have to sell it to move up and you are on a budget? Whole nuther ball game. That is why price is really never as black and white as a Kelly Blue Book entry.
                          When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

The show record helps confirm a seller's marketing of the horse and might give you an idea of its performance potential. So if the horse has a record of getting ribbons in every class w/a pro but doesn't do so well w/ Jr or Ammy rider well that could be an issue - but not necessarily as it might depend on the age of the horse - if its an older horse - def a flag, younger horse maybe not so much. In looking at the show record you need to also look at the rider, and the # of entries sometimes a first place w/ 6 horses competing might not be as impressive as lower placings w/ greater # of competitors.

As far as price goes - with the market as it is it could be somewhat overpriced but then in my book I would pay more for a horse w/ a good solid sane brain than I would top ribbons -especially if the horse placed consistently..

Findeight gives some great advice too...

Comment

For the mid five figures, if they are advertising the horse as "shown" or "show-ready" to a certain height, then I expect to see a record of that height. Placings are not so important...unless they are all dead last. That raises a question, but doesn't take the horse out of the running (for me...but I've only really ever looked in the VERY low five figures )

In my price range, a show record was really just a truth-telling litmus test. If they claim the horse is a "Hunter" then where has it shown, what divisions and what placings? If they don't have any of that, I most likely won't bother seeing the horse. They'd have to have convincing schooling videos to show a reasonable level of training.

After the whole "how broke is it really?" litmus test, then we're strictly down to how much I enjoy riding the horse. If we're a good match, that's step one to better placings...and the horse's record with the previous rider doesn't really matter any more (to me.)
                              Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Comment

Working...
                              X