Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

Walter Moore rear view
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

SWAN LAKE HORSE SHOW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWAN LAKE HORSE SHOW

I will be attending the Swan Lake show in Pennsylvania at the end of the month with my one Jumper and my Hunter.

Has anyone shown there?

This is my first time at this venue, it does look like a nice place.

What can anyone tell me about the rings, class sizes, ect.

bump. I'm curious too. Our barn will be going for some of the "B" shows in July and August.
    False face must hide what the false heart doth know.
    -- William Shakespeare

Comment

It is a gorgeous facility, they run a nice horseshow. I have shown there both indoors and out and liked it a lot. The footing was a little deep in one outdoor ring, but I've heard that it's better now, that was a while ago.
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

Swan Lake is a wonderful horse show - it's usually very well-run and the facilities are lovely, from what I've seen. I've never stayed in the temp stalls, this will be the first year, but my trainer took a bunch of horses last year and had nothing but good things to say! Sometimes the rings run a little slow at the B shows but mostly at the big show they keep things hopping. The only complaint I would have is that they just don't seem to draw as many jumpers as hunters, so the jumper classes are sort of small (in comparison, of course ).
        http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/Ashley26

"You keep one leg on one side, the other leg on the other side, and your mind in the middle." -- Henry Taylor, "Riding Lesson"

Comment

• Original Poster

(gidyness unfit for a women of my age) I am sooo looking forward to this show

What would be the numbers in the level 5/6 jumpers 00Jumper, do you have an idea of the numbers from previous years entries?

How about the town it is in. I am hoping to get to Philly before I come home, but would love to here of any "spots" to eat, visit, shop in close to the show.

More importantly......
          Coffee....where is the best coffee since I cannot bring a Timmies with me

Another Canuck invasion is about to happen and it is not even Thanksgiving.

Comment

Do a search, there have been quite a few threads on Swan Lake in the past.

I agree it is a beatiful facility.

I do not agree that it is a well run show.
            Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
            Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

Comment

The town Littlestown is well ... little. Suggest booking hotels asap in Hanover (I heard yesterday the hotel that offers the Swan Lake hotel discount only had smoking rooms left). Bev, the show secretary, is fabulous.

I am excited about the June show with the Hunter Derby and the generosity on behalf of Lynn, the manager, to allow/support CANTER to hold a fundraiser during this show.

Comment

We will be at Swan Lake. The facility is gorgeous, jumps are decorated lovely and the rings are wonderful. We stay in the permanent barns and like them a lot. I'm excited to get to watch the Derby.

If you want to check out a nearby town, head to Gettysburg. A lot of fabulous restaurants and shops. Plus there is a large outlet mall up 97. If you want good pizza, go to Tommy's (on Steinweher Ave). The Pub on the square and Blue Parrot right down from the Square (on 30W) are also great restaurants.
                "The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed" UK

Comment

VERY nice facility and very well run shows.

Comment

Do they have an area for RV hookups?
                    Experienced riders are not prone to brag. And usually newcomers, if they start out being boastful, end up modest. -C.J.J. Mullen

Comment

Really nice facility....but that`s about it. I like the way they build the jumps nicley, and the footing is good but the way they run it is crap. I would say maybe it was just the one show but we went about 3 or 4 times and every time it took forever to get through one class. In the jumper ring it took 1 1/2 hour to get through one jumper class becuase the girl needed to BREAK THE TIMERS to qualify for something. The hunters and eq wasn't as bad but it still took awhile, they would wait for forever for people in the schooling ring until the last day when they got fed up. The jumper ring made no annouciments in the barn and then would wait for ages, even longer than the hunter ring for the people warming up. Just badly run :/ to bad it's really pretty.

Comment

Swan Lake is outside Littlestown, which is very near Gettysburg and Hanover. I second Tommy's Pizza...it's wonderful But be warned it's tourest season!!
                        The essential joy of being with horses is that it brings us in contact with the rare elements of grace, beauty, spirit, and fire. ~Sharon Ralls Lemon

Comment

I agree with previous poster, beautiful facilities. Some of the people are nice. The footing is pretty good, my horses have always loved it. Gas to get there is rediculous (not the horseshows fault!) and then the entries are REDICULOUS!!! i realize that many "A" and "AA" shows are expensive but to not even horseshow and walk onto the property at a "B" for no less then $65 even if you dont walk in the ring!! It is seriously too bad...

Comment

It is located near Gettysburg, PA which will be swamped with tourists in the summer months - far too crowded for my tastes. It is a lovely venue but there are many other places that I prefer to show.

Comment

Ahh but Tommys Pizza is worth it! I lived on it when I was in college...

Comment

Beautiful facility, great footing, lovely jumps...really impeccable facility.

Lynn and the Bast family have been so generous to allocate the resouces, space, advertising to run ex-race horse/CANTER fundraisers there.

If you get a chance please stop by the tables on Friday and Saturday we will be there with a bake sale, raffle, silient auction and lots of information on ex-race horses. A friend oif mine and I have formed a fund rasiing offshoot to CANTER mid Atlantic to really help raise awareness and promote ex-race horses in all capacities.

In addition we are giving out the CANTER USA Overall Thoroughbred award during the award ceremony for the $10,000 Hunter Derby Friday night.

And then Saturday right before the $10,000 Mini Prix we are also giving out the Francis Bacon Memorial Trophy ( another TB award)

Both are decided on by the judges and officials to two outstanding TB's during the course of the show.

CANTER also has a grooms class as well.

Good luck showing and I think you will have a great time,
                                I actually sat down with Lynn while we were thinking of CANTER/EX-Racer involvement and we talked about the Exhibitor party which will be a lot of fun a tailgating during the hunter derby and she really streamlined a lot in her prize list to help things move along...there are still lots of divisions and classes to choose from..but she defintiely has streamlined it.
                                "All life is precious"
                                Sophie Scholl

Comment

I love the facilities--rings are top notch. The manager has her foibles as people have mentioned before, but that just makes her a horse person, IMHO I would never hesitate to encourage anyone from showing there. As for people complaining about the costs, sure beats HITS
                                  www.quiethavenfarm.com

Comment

Beautiful facility, great jumps, never had an issue with the footing that wasn't promptly remedied to the best of the horse show's ability. Could be run better and it's pretty expensive, but the courses are good, the judging is good, and my horse likes it there. Bring a TON of fly spray, the bugs are really bad there in the summer.
                                    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Comment

Permanent stalls!!!

The facility is lovely. The rings and grounds are decorated beautifully. Management can be difficult to deal with. Permanent stalls would be the way to go because the tents are dreadful - Not close and very,very cramped. Lunging can be an issue. Leasing a paddock can be extremely expensive. Classes do not run on time. You may be waiting for hours to have someone get to the gate. But you may have a different experience than I. Good luck!

Comment

It's been about 5 years since I've been to Swan Lake, but I loved an A show I attended there -- I think it was the first year they hosted rated shows -- I was riding my psycho mare at the time, and I spent 5 days walking her u/s around the facility before I thought she was settled enough to show on Sunday afternoon (never did manage to show that mare over fences at any other show except for schooling shows at the barn where we boarded) -- Show manager drove around the facility in a golf cart all week with a big bag of carrots offering them to horses as she stopped to chat with their riders -- Psycho mare loved golf carts by the end of the week -- Footing and courses were great -- They encouraged riders to get to the rings by giving out a $10 gift certificate to the first to show in each division -- Tents and lots of chairs set up ringside to make life easy on spectators --
                                        "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Comment

Working...
                                        X