• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tips to keep my rear.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips to keep my rear.......

I need some help.

Background:
    I have been riding consistently for the last few months (for the first time in years). My background is in the hunter ring and i dabbled in eventing for a bit and then had to gradute from college and get a job, and didnt have the ability to financially support a horse. Fast forward 7 years and i am back in the saddle, hurrah!!

Situation:
    Its important to note that I am fortunate enough to be leasing a fabulous schoolmaster who is perfect for a rerider ammy. I love and trust this horse with every fiber in my body.
    This amazing horse is getting me comfortable in the 2'6 this year and I am hoping to be back in the adults next season.

BUT... For whatever reason I am apparently not keeping my hind parts out of the saddle for long enough over fences. I really do feel like I am staying out of the saddle, but the feedback from my trainer is that I need to stay out a bit longer.

Does anyone or has anyone had this trouble before? What did you do to help fix this? I am getting a video of our last show so I can see what I am not feeling.... I need to get this fixed before I move back up to 3'0.

Please help a rerider ammy who can't keep her a$$ out of the saddle!!!
    Last edited by mzw297; Oct. 28, 2011, 08:22 PM. Reason: Spelling....
    Steph
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Custom Dog Collars - Made in Virginia!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/BlueRiverCollars

Couple of quick exercises:

Grid work with multiple bounces, can be cross rails, just requires you to stay up out of the saddle, work up to five in a row...

Exercise where you hold your release for one or two strides after the fence. staying in release position may help keep you up longer.

Also ensure your stirrup length is not too long...do you ride with a different length for flat versus jumping? If not try going up a whole hole for jumping.

Good luck

Comment

What helped me was a new saddle.... I don't know if what you are riding in really fits you and the horse but makes a huge difference.
      Live in the sunshine.
      Swim in the sea.
      Drink the wild air.

Comment

my trainer will tell me to pretend there's another jump just after each one- both to keep me straight after a jump and to keep my bum out of the saddle. She says to count an extra beat, or makes me hold 2-pt until a certain distance (either a fence post or when she says I can sit again). I think the rest of it just comes with practice! (the stirrups up a hole is a helpful tip, too. We tried that just the other day in my lesson actually, and i think it made a difference as well.)

Watching video will definitely help That's the one thing i have YET to get the courage up to do-- record myself! Eeep.

Comment

Do transitions staying in 2 pt without using the neck/reins to balance.

Comment

Stay on the two point for an extra stride or two. Thinking about doing that really helped me

Comment

If I may make a suggestion or two (or more)...

Warning: These suggestions MAY help. No promises! I've worked with a lot of re-riders, and many of them came in with the problem you've described. So far, it's always been temporary and fixable. Here are four of the main causes I see, with their solutions - perhaps one of them will help.

You probably know all this already, but sometimes a reminder can be useful.

1. Rider's stirrup leathers are too long, consequently rider tries to FORCE her heels low, and has a terrible time because her hips and knees and ankles all stiffen and she ends up more or less standing in her stirrups - this isn't a very secure position in which to approach a jump, whether she's doing it hunter-style (in two-point coming into the fence) or jumper-style (letting the horse "jump" her out of the saddle on takeoff). Too-long stirrups effectively force the rider's legs to straighten - again, causing stiffness in all the "shock absorber" leg joints - but if the rider can't get her backside out of the saddle without straightening her knees, the stiff, standing-up position will continue to be a problem.

(Solution: Shorten those leathers, but do a fair amount of riding on the flat in two-point, at all gaits, before you trust your just-modified balance over the jumps. Also, be sure that your stirrups are on the balls of your feet - not pushed home - so that your heels can drop and help you by providing better leg position and thus improved balance and more security.)

2. Rider is getting ahead of her horse, standing too tall, with her knee and hip angles too open, and then over the jump thinks, very sensibly, "Oh no, if I land like this I'm going to land on my nose!" and quickly sits down to avoid that particular badness.

(Solution: Instead of standing and possibly climbing your horse's neck, the rider needs to FOLD. If she's already folding, she needs to fold in a slightly different way, like - oh dear, I'm dating myself here - an old-fashioned ironing board. As her shoulders come forward and her hip angle closes, she needs to slide her backside toward the cantle so that she can keep her balance before/over/after the jump and stay close to, but OUT OF the saddle.

Denny Emerson used to do a great demonstration of this, in the saddle and - more impressively - on top of a table at conferences. It's something I look forward to seeing again when he's back in the saddle - or back on the conference table.

3. The saddle, not the rider, is the problem - many re-riders automatically get the same size saddle they used long ago in their lessons, or they guess at what size saddle they "should" use, and... they get it wrong.

(Solution: A jumping saddle, to be comfortable, needs to be large enough and have flaps that are forward-cut, enough that the rider CAN shorten her stirrup leathers (see #1 and #2) without having her knees come off the flaps. I've had quite a few riders whose ability to stay out of the saddle and ride well over jumps - even long grids - improved dramatically as soon as they tried jumping in saddles that actually fit.

4. The rider is fine, the saddle fits, the rider has adjusted her stirrup leathers and is now in a fairly good position but is nervous and gripping the reins hard coming into her jump, which causes the horse to anticipate pain on landing, so he either pops straight up in the air and lands and almost stops, or he races off after the jump because all he can think about is running away from the discomfort. Either way, the rider is likely to sit down early, if not early and suddenly and hard.

(Solution: The rider's instructor (or a friend who can be bribed) needs to set up a low grid with four or five small jumps and an obvious line down the center (cross-rails are good for this), so that the rider can either come down the line without her reins (tie them and let them lie on the horse's neck) and without ever getting out of her 2-point, ideally with her arms straight out at her sides, at shoulder-height. There's nothing quite like this for giving a rider the takeoff-airtime-landing sensation and helping her learn to stay in her 2-point all the way through the grid.

There are many other possible causes, of course, but without actually seeing the rider in question, I offer the above as the problems I see most often and the simplest solution to each one.

Oh, and this is my first post. I'm sorry about the length, I hadn't intended to introduce myself by writing a book!
              Home page: www.jessicajahiel.com
              Horse-Sense newsletter: www.horse-sense.org

Comment

Originally posted by Pasde2 View Post
                Warning: These suggestions MAY help. No promises! I've worked with a lot of re-riders, and many of them came in with the problem you've described. So far, it's always been temporary and fixable. Here are four of the main causes I see, with their solutions - perhaps one of them will help.

1. Rider's stirrup leathers are too long, consequently rider tries to FORCE her heels low, and has a terrible time because her hips and knees and ankles all stiffen and she ends up more or less standing in her stirrups - this isn't a very secure position in which to approach a jump, whether she's doing it hunter-style (in two-point coming into the fence) or jumper-style (letting the horse "jump" her out of the saddle on takeoff). Too-long stirrups effectively force the rider's legs to straighten - again, causing stiffness in all the "shock absorber" leg joints - but if the rider can't get her backside out of the saddle without straightening her knees, the stiff, standing-up position will continue to be a problem.

(Solution: Shorten those leathers, but do a fair amount of riding on the flat in two-point, at all gaits, before you trust your just-modified balance over the jumps. Also, be sure that your stirrups are on the balls of your feet - not pushed home - so that your heels can drop and help you by providing better leg position and thus improved balance and more security.)

2. Rider is getting ahead of her horse, standing too tall, with her knee and hip angles too open, and then over the jump thinks, very sensibly, "Oh no, if I land like this I'm going to land on my nose!" and quickly sits down to avoid that particular badness.

(Solution: Instead of standing and possibly climbing your horse's neck, the rider needs to FOLD. If she's already folding, she needs to fold in a slightly different way, like - oh dear, I'm dating myself here - an old-fashioned ironing board. As her shoulders come forward and her hip angle closes, she needs to slide her backside toward the cantle so that she can keep her balance before/over/after the jump and stay close to, but OUT OF the saddle.

Denny Emerson used to do a great demonstration of this, in the saddle and - more impressively - on top of a table at conferences. It's something I look forward to seeing again when he's back in the saddle - or back on the conference table.

3. The saddle, not the rider, is the problem - many re-riders automatically get the same size saddle they used long ago in their lessons, or they guess at what size saddle they "should" use, and... they get it wrong.

(Solution: A jumping saddle, to be comfortable, needs to be large enough and have flaps that are forward-cut, enough that the rider CAN shorten her stirrup leathers (see #1 and #2) without having her knees come off the flaps. I've had quite a few riders whose ability to stay out of the saddle and ride well over jumps - even long grids - improved dramatically as soon as they tried jumping in saddles that actually fit.

4. The rider is fine, the saddle fits, the rider has adjusted her stirrup leathers and is now in a fairly good position but is nervous and gripping the reins hard coming into her jump, which causes the horse to anticipate pain on landing, so he either pops straight up in the air and lands and almost stops, or he races off after the jump because all he can think about is running away from the discomfort. Either way, the rider is likely to sit down early, if not early and suddenly and hard.

(Solution: The rider's instructor (or a friend who can be bribed) needs to set up a low grid with four or five small jumps and an obvious line down the center (cross-rails are good for this), so that the rider can either come down the line without her reins (tie them and let them lie on the horse's neck) and without ever getting out of her 2-point, ideally with her arms straight out at her sides, at shoulder-height. There's nothing quite like this for giving a rider the takeoff-airtime-landing sensation and helping her learn to stay in her 2-point all the way through the grid.

There are many other possible causes, of course, but without actually seeing the rider in question, I offer the above as the problems I see most often and the simplest solution to each one.

Oh, and this is my first post. I'm sorry about the length, I hadn't intended to introduce myself by writing a book!

Welcome!!! And good post
                Live in the sunshine.
                Swim in the sea.
                Drink the wild air.

Comment

Thank you!

Originally posted by doublesstable View Post
                  Welcome!!! And good post
                  Thank you for the welcome and the kind words.

Well, if I'm allowed to be verbose...

I should have added two other points to that post!

First, I've seen a very large number of riders, especially re-riders - mostly re-riders actually - who instantly blame themselves for their inability to remain in balance on the approach or over the jump or after the jump, or all three, when all they really need is a tack adjustment (size, position, or something as simple as changing the length of their stirrup leathers). I appreciate the good attitude of the riders who blame themselves instead of their horses, but sometimes the blame is misplaced. If it's not absolutely clear that there is a single, identifiable issue involved (e.g. sore horse or wrong saddle), I'm all in favour of listing the most likely solutions and beginning with the simplest and least expensive one.
                  Which brings me to another point:

Second, tack adjustment, specifically saddle positioning, is a huge issue with a lot of riders who aren't comfortable jumping, feel that they're behind their leg a lot of the time and unsteady and unbalanced when they're jumping.

If the saddle is sitting too far forward, not only does it interfere with the horse's shoulders, it also wrecks the rider's balance by putting the lowest part of the saddle on or just in front of the cantle - this causes the rider to be perpetually behind the leg. The "fix" is usually just a matter of pushing the saddle back where it belongs, behind the shoulder so that the lowest point of the seat is in the center, and ensuring that the girth is moved back as well so that it's not rubbing against the horse's elbows. I see this a lot, not just with hunter/jumper riders but with dressage riders as well.

If a too-far-forward saddle is causing this or any other problem, pushing the saddle back is a VERY cheap fix.

For me, it's like getting radiographs when a horse is sore - in the absence of other information it's usually most practical and economical to start at the bottom and work your way up, because if you find that the problem is in the feet or fetlocks, there's no reason to go to huge expense taking pictures all the way up to the shoulders and hips. Not on that first pass, anyway.
                  Home page: www.jessicajahiel.com
                  Horse-Sense newsletter: www.horse-sense.org

Comment

Originally posted by Pasde2 View Post

Wow -- I've read your articles for years and years! What a gift to have you here!! (The rhyme is not intentional...)

Comment

Working...
                    X