• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

how often/how long to work a 3 yo.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how often/how long to work a 3 yo.

Just starting my 3 yo (born 4/08) on the lunge to prep her for being backed this winter. Up until 6 weeks ago, she was just a pasture ornament

I would love some BTDT advice for starting a youngster off right. I am wobbling between working her more frequently (5+ days/week) for shorter sessions (10 - 15 minutes) or less frequently (3-4 days/week) for longer sessions (20+ minutes).

Or if I should be doing something different all-together

Also ideas for what to do during those sessions would be appreciated as well. We do a lot of transitions, getting her used to voice commands, as well as learning to go forward. We're just now introducing the bridle (under a halter) and next we'll move to side-reins.

Other than 'work' we do all sorts of other ground lessons - so my question really is about the ring work portion of starting a youngster.

A little background : she is a 1/2 Welsh 1/2 GRP mare who still has some maturing to do, so the trainer that is going to back her feels like she needs a few months of work before she'll be ready to carry a rider.

Thanks for any insight.

I'm a big fan of lots of short sessions. I knew a trainer who said even that even if all you had time for was a quick lead around the barn, you should handle the youngster every day. I have a weanling who I groom and take on walks everyday... At this point, she's basically a very large dog

As far as training, I would recommend ground driving! IMO its one of the best training tools to prepare a young horse for riding.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Comment

At 3 1/2 ( so glad you waited !!) She should be mentally ready for learning under saddle. I start all my own youngsters and wait until they are 3--3 1/2 to start riding. I have always had good success with 20-30 minutes of riding ( once they get the idea of it). I do only walking at first and work on turning, stopping, backing, moving off leg pressure and the cue for forward . When that is understood I add some trotting mixed in and I keep that into their 4 year old year. I know that is too slow of progress for most, but I never have to go " back" in my training later on.

If you have your girl fairly fit on the lunge she should handle 30 minutes ( light riding-- mentioned above) 5 days a week well. I wouldn't use any " artificial aids" at first, just keep it easy and don't worry about head set or anything until she is well past green. Good luck.

Comment

When I started my hunter at 3 1/2, he got maybe 15 minutes of an arena school and then an 45min/hour walk around the trails. Some days we skipped the arena school, but the long walk around the fields was pretty standard.

3 or 4 days a week.

eta By this I mean undersaddle, not ground work. Somebody else does my ground work, then I show up when it's time to swing a leg over for the first time, lol.
        The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
        Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
        Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
        The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

I started my current 3.5 y/o as a late 2 y/o.

I swear my filly was born broke lol but initially started with lunging w/t/c, getting her to respond to my voice commands (halter not bridle).
          Then after she was comfortable. I put a saddle on her and walked her around and then progressed to lunging with the saddle but ixnay on the stirrups incase they slip and hit her barrel.

Eventually, (about a week or two... depending on when you see she thinks nothing of the saddle), add the stirrups, bring them down, lift and bonk her barrel lightly so she does not panic when they do slip and accidently hit her sides.

I then added the bridle over top of the halter, and hand walked her wigging the bit and attempting to steer slightly with the reins so she gets used to pressure.

When she was comfortable with this, took abought 3 times for my filly, I then lunged her with full tack but the line attached to the halter.
          I did this for a couple weeks and then started sacking her out and when nothing phased her I had a friend hold her while i made noise on the mounting block and patted her back and barrel all over so she knew it was o.k to have humans above her head.
          I gradually leaned on her and then after a few times of this procedure I drapped myself over the saddle and had my friend lead me around so I took take a quit and safe exit if she got very upset.
          Nothing happened she was quite happy, so I got on, feet in stirrups and had a friend lead me 2-3 times until I would walk by myself, taking some contact meanwhile having someone beside her head walking.

This process from lunging with tack to getting on and walking myself occured over about 3 weeks. But might be different with your filly. Watch for signs of unhappiness and swishing tail.

My filly was a bit swishy but did nothing about it.

Keep the sessions short since their attention span and learning is about 15-20 minutes. After each session give your horse 48 hours before the next session since it take about this long for young horse to absorb all you have taught.
          I found if I ran into a snag one day, I corrected once, then quit. The next day I worked with her, I would have sworn she sat in her stall thinking.... "so what exactly did she want me to do..." and she got it easily the next time.

Good luck and have fun, I did find it hard not to get overzealous and teach another new task if she was being really good. Lots of praise too!
          http://dotstreamming.blogspot.com/

Comment

My 3 yr. olds ride lightly about 4x a week.

Comment

Originally posted by pryme_thyme View Post
              The next day I worked with her, I would have sworn she sat in her stall thinking.... "so what exactly did she want me to do..." and she got it easily the next time.
              The young mare I am working with is just like this, and I have used similar words to describe the process. When we have a setback, it's almost as though she has to think it over for awhile. Invariably, the next time I ride, she has figured it out!
              I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like I am doing okay so far, but will definitely look for more information on ground driving and eventually I hope to add that into our repertoire

Comment

Great advice and I agree with short - but lots of it outside - walking around the fields, driveway, roads, whatever you have! And let her tell you what's enough and what's not.
                  co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Comment

At this point in the year, most 3 yr olds I've dealt with are either being left alone or about to be left alone until the late winter or early spring. But they've usually had 6 to 8 weeks of light riding a few days a week. Most have a very basic grasp of w/t/c, have been out of the ring a good bit, and, if they are quite bright and taking to everything very easily, they may have started walking and trotting over little "jumps" (we're talking things that they can just step over, and VERY brief. More of a fun, very low key "game"). Then they spend the winter growing and eating, maybe occasionally being ponied on a nice day around the farm.

It's silly, but I prefer to deal with the backing and early rides with the benefit of summer heat! It also means that they don't have to get stuck in the indoor but get a broader education without making it boring, boring ring work. Kids in kindergarten don't sit at desks all day memorizing boring facts, why should "kid" horses have to do boring circles in the indoor.
                    Amanda

Comment

I would do less lunging. I think riding (with a light and balanced rider) is much easier on their legs than repetitive circles.

Ponying would also be good for fitness, or ground driving.

My current 3 year old was trained without lunging due to an injury. All her prep work was done in hand. This experience has made me question the need for lunging a young horse anything more than minimally to get them used to tack and basic voice commands, although I have never been into lunging more than 10-20 minutes due to the strain on joints that repetitive actions like lunging cause.
                      Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Working...
                      X