• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Working Student Position

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working Student Position

I'm finishing up college in December and trying to figure out my next play. I would love to find a serious working student position with a top hunter/jumper trainer.

I don't have a huge amount of show experience but have worked and ridden horses for ages. I have lots of green and young horse experience. I am basically willing to work my booty off for showing and coaching opportunities. I am willing to relocate anywhere would just need housing included.

If anyone knows of working student programs or they themselves could offer one please let me know!

I think you really need to just look for a job with a show barn so you can learn and gain experience at the shows.

As an adult, WS situations are difficult because a WS does not get any kind of salary, no benefits and because they are getting "free" rides in return for labor? Cannot show as an Amateur-which cuts out many opportunities to show client horses.

Ask your own trainer. And start lower down the ladder. Big names will want more experience before they would have you coaching their clients or showing client horses. Plus their own in house Juniors act as WS in those barns.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Are you willing to look internationally?
      Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
      Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
      Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by caboy001 View Post
        I'm finishing up college in December and trying to figure out my next play. I would love to find a serious working student position with a top hunter/jumper trainer.

I don't have a huge amount of show experience but have worked and ridden horses for ages. I have lots of green and young horse experience. I am basically willing to work my booty off for showing and coaching opportunities. I am willing to relocate anywhere would just need housing included.

If anyone knows of working student programs or they themselves could offer one please let me know!
        Your work ethic is admirable but Findeight is right. No top trainer is going to provide showing opportunities (either on sales horses or client's stock) to someone without a pretty serious resume, and they have their pick of top juniors to choose from for those rides.

Unless you have quite a bit saved up, you'll also need to budget for all that stuff that adult life brings... like food, clothing, cell phone bills and transportation (even if you own a car, there is gas, maintenance and insurance, for example.) And I know a lot of young people blow it off, but health insurance would also be a really good idea for someone working around horses. So working full time in exchange for just housing might be difficult; just something to think about.

You might do better to get a regular job and take lessons for a while, develop a relationship with a trainer that you respect, and see if you can grow that situation into one that affords you more coaching and showing opportunities. Good luck!
        We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
        -PaulaEdwina

Comment

I do think it's a fabulous idea to do this while you are just out of college....if you are under 26 and can still be part of your parents' health insurance plan. Live low on the hog but for God's sake don't school horses without health insurance.
          The armchair saddler
          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Original Poster

While I appreciate the responses so far I came to this forum to get advice on who to look at as far as working student positions. I suppose my use of the word 'top' may have thrown some of the answers and I'll rephrase that to the best trainers that would take someone with limited show experience.

Believe me I realize there are plenty of junior riders who get the rides that I would love to have but I was never blessed to have the $$$$ that it takes to be handed the top horses those junior riders have had.

I have gotten a few PM's with great advice and I'll follow up on those. I would love to get more positive responses here on what TO do not what NOT to do. I am aware of my financial situation and the abilities I have to take care of myself as well as health coverage.

And yes MCarver I would absolutely consider international. Thanks!!

Comment

Why is it when this question comes up, everyone offers the correct and realistic information and the OP comes on and doesnt want to hear the bad parts (realistic parts)?

You finished college - if riding is your dream, don't be a working student, IMHO, working students are for kids under 18. If you are riding, you become a pro, you can't show ammy, etc., etc. But many trainers are willing to pay you, provide board, and teach you the ropes along the way. But NO guarantee to ride/lesson, and highly doubtful to show unless your a diamond in the rough and the trainer sees that.

But if you truly want to work and learn the ropes, contact yard and groom, etc., and just get a job, many of the big farms have housing and an income, you get to travel, and learn, but to do it without an income, unless you have family backing is almost impossible. If your looking Big A show barns, be ready to work 12-15 hours days during show season, maybe never sitting on a horse for 12 weeks, etc. Just take a look at the listings of the top riders, whether the olympic team, canadian team, world cup, etc., contact those farms, I bet they are all looking for capable help.

Or put that 4 years of college to work, get a job in your chosen field and take lessons and work weekends at a farm learning.

Not telling you what you should or should not do, but just different thoughts on the subject.

Comment

Since most of the serious trainers are finishing up their seasons and preparing for the southern shows, it might be hard to find a working student position in late fall/winter. Most serious working student positions I see start in late spring when trainers are going back home.

What my DD did was become a groom for a show barn. Trainers sometimes hire an extra groom to take with them on the winter circuit, which might work well for your availability. This would give you the opportunity to spend some time watching top trainers in action and making connections. If you are a hard worker, personable and professional, you might get noticed. You'll certainly have a good insight into the personalities, talents, and horsemanship of the trainers who may take you on as a working student.

As for riding, take your groom income and use it to buy lessons, training and show when you can and your employer allows. Eat a lot of peanut butter and ramen. This is what DD does, usually showing at the local rateds to build her show record. I provide the horse and board, which I relate to what I'd spend if she were going to college. This will all soon come to an end - I will sell the horse, DD will give up her ammy status and start riding a lot of green horses, teaching beginning/intermediate lessons and managing a barn. She has gotten several offers of this sort by good trainers she respects. Where she goes from there will depend on a lot of luck and even more hard work.

This is the most realistic path I can see for someone who did not have the opportunity to build a stellar junior career or a very large bank account. I have met several professionals who have managed it with some success, so I do view DD's future with cautious optimism.

Comment

You might look for an opportunity to work for a trainer at WEF. I have read in Yard and Groom that trainers are looking for people. Do you have a nice riding video? Since your resume is limited, a really well done video might be your ticket to your opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter/JumperMom View Post
                    Or put that 4 years of college to work, get a job in your chosen field
                    Yup. Earn your own money, and do horses the way YOU want to do them, not what an employer (if you can find one) is going to want, and that's not much from an entry-level worker..

Comment

Originally posted by caboy001 View Post
                      While I appreciate the responses so far I came to this forum to get advice on who to look at as far as working student positions. I suppose my use of the word 'top' may have thrown some of the answers and I'll rephrase that to the best trainers that would take someone with limited show experience.

...on what TO do not what NOT to do.

I thought I was being positive in suggesting something you could do, get a barn job with a serious, well respected show trainer to gain more experience. My bad.

Serious show barns don't have alot of real green horses or bad horses that are tough rides. They have mostly good horses. Experience riding and showing good horses and maintaining their edge so they go well for their owners or in sales presentations is more in demand then time with the tough ones.

The only way to gain experience with good horses is to work for a barn that produces them, starting as barn help. Especially for an adult. The better barns are hiring grooms and barn help for the winter circuits, some either include (very modest, like a camper or trailer) housing or give an additional allowance for it, that is what I would recommend to get your foot in the door. As opposed to a WS "position" usually reserved for Juniors already well known or in the program that are not restricted to showing in the Pro and Open classes.

Comment

All the advice talking about getting a job in your "chosen" field? Its bull, plain and simple. It's clear what you want to do is work with horses. I felt pressured by my family, friends, and society to go to college. I will never ever work in my "chosen" (forced) field. Why not try three day eventing barns, many big name ones will take you without loads of experience. Do what makes you happy, not what everyone else tells you is right. You only have one life!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by englishcowgirl View Post
                          All the advice talking about getting a job in your "chosen" field? Its bull, plain and simple. It's clear what you want to do is work with horses. I felt pressured by my family, friends, and society to go to college. I will never ever work in my "chosen" (forced) field. Why not try three day eventing barns, many big name ones will take you without loads of experience. Do what makes you happy, not what everyone else tells you is right. You only have one life!
                          Thank you, thank you! I appreciate your understanding of what I am trying to say and get done! I may look into eventing-good idea!

Comment

Why must it be "working student" vs. being an acutal groom and working your way to getting rides? Are you trying to preserve your Ammie status? Or are you just hoping to work to ride?

I think a little more information might help people help you

Comment

She cannot preserve her Ammie status if she either gets paid for a "real" job involving any riding or teaching at all or receives anything at all of value in return for labor-i.e. "free" lessons on a horse she does not own in return for barn chores, teaching or riding. So she is basically turning Pro either way.

That's why the WS routine is really for Juniors. Doesn't work well for Adults in the rated horse show barns.

Comment

I sent you a PM.

Comment

well with most places it seems one has to be a working student first (to get experience) before one can be a groom, anyway, I might like PM's as well.

Comment

Working...
                                  X