• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Kissing hip/spine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kissing hip/spine

I need some information on kissing hip or kissing spine. I was talking to a trusted horse owner/rider/retired trainer/barn owner/wonder woman. She said my horse has kissing hip but when I asked her to explain she said I better look it up to get exact information. Well I went to google and every article says something different. Some say he's as good as dead and others say that it is manageable.

Background:
    I have a 7yr old OTTB. His race history is minimal and not very exciting. Every once in a while he will seem to get stuck and when I ask him to move forward he bucks and then like magic is fine! This doesn't happen everyday. Maybe not even weekly. He is not lame, current lameness check was passed with flying colors. (long story and non-related) He only does this in hand. I have had no problem under saddle and no discomfort signs.

I am a young adult with minimal funds but want to do what is best for my guy. I'm not sure if chiropractic or body work or what would help. Since it is not a consistant pattern I have had trouble diagnosing a cause. My vet is known to be a lameness expert and didn't catch anything, of course he did not do this on the day he was there, that just might have been helpful.

People with experience would be fantastic! do I stop riding him? Can I not jump him? Will he ever be able to jump? Help?? Please!!

From my experience...

I have actually come across several horses with kissing spine. The worst case we ever had the horse has to be maintained and can't do too much. The second worst case we had after many vet visits, Scintigraphy and shock wave the horse was maintained on cold laser treatments once a month and not jumping higher than 3', robin when he jumped. Other cases were not as severe. I have been told a lot of horses have it and people don't know it so I believe there can be horses that live a normal life. We have always had to have a Scintigraphy done to see exactly what we are dealing with. Hope that helped a little.

Comment

It could also be one of his stifles catching. I'm pretty sure something can be done with the ligaments if that is the case. I would talk to the vet before entertaining all types of doomsday scenarios.

Comment

I've only known of one with kissing spine, but have heard that bucking can be a reaction in horses who have it. Have never heard of kissing hip.

The horse we knew was an OTTB and we were assisting his owner to sell him. He had raced sucessfully, but could be a bit of a handful (big, gorgeous horse) and anyone looking at him was told that he was known to buck and was a tough horse. Was not "off" or lame and did not buck all the time. He did not have bucking fits, but would kick out and buck when feeling fresh. Nothing that was a huge red flag - he just seemed to be a tough-minded, athletic fellow.

After a woman bought him, we heard he was doing well. She lunged him a lot and evidently the barn she had him at was mostly warmbloods and he wasn't too welcome there by the trainer or the other boarders. I think he was intimidating to them and they did not like OTTBs in general. About 6 months later we started to get emails saying the woman was having problems with him - he had started bucking in earnest. A couple of months later she said he was diagnosed with kissing spine and she wanted her money back and to be reimbursed for the vet diagnoses (it was a long time ago and I don't remember how they diagnosed it - x-ray or what). The problem was that she had drawn up the contract herself and had only given 30 days for a refund. The previous owner offered to take the horse back and refund part of the money, we also offered her another horse that we had advised her to take instead of this one at the time of sale and offered to take this horse back, but she wanted full compensation for the vet bills and even some of the training fees. Unfortunately, the previous owner felt that she herself may have caused some of the problems with all of the lunging she was doing and with bad saddle fit. There were too many variables, and she had done a PPE when she bought the horse using her own vet. If he had kissing spine at the time of sale, no one including the previous owner knew it. I don't know what happened after that - laywers were involved and I do know that the previous owner did not have to pay the new owner, but I never heard what happened to the horse. Really sad situation, and if the new owner had been more reasonable I think things could have been settled in a much better way.

Sorry for the long story, but it brought back memories. Hope yours is not kissing spine!

Comment

Can you share what symptoms this person observed to lead her to pronounce this horse as having kissing spines???

Kissing hip is a new one on me...never heard of it, is there another name it goes by???

Kissing spines I am pretty familiar with, there is at least one poster on here that has shared chasing erratic performance and mystery lamness, soreness etc for years and lots of $$$ down the drain before finally confirming kissing spines.

Wish I could be more positive, and it certainly can vary by horse, but it severly impacts performance ability and there is not much you can do outside of manage the pain and adjust the workload. It is what it sounds like it is-the vertabrae "kiss" rub against each other, it can hurt and does make them stiff.

A chiro can help but it is normally not possible to put them back in proper alignment without surgery and that particular procedure is sort of 50/50 far as recovery goes.

Sorry...but it may be something else, only proper diagnostics can confirm it...and maybe it is a bit of a doomsday scenario that other woman should not have alarmed you with.
          When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Original Poster

So I'm guessing that she confused the phrase as there seems yo be no such thing as 'kissing hip'. She actually has not seen my guy in about a year but instead mentioned kissing spine while I was discussing his behavior to her. She mentioned the biggest reasoning being that she knew that a buck to fix the problem being a big symptom of kissing spine. She in no way diagnosed my horse but instead told me to look into kissing spine and see if it fit my worries and Piper's symptoms. I am not blaming her for anything and am thankful she had a suggestion since it seems kissing spine, if the cause, is hard to diagnose without lengthy x-rays and such.

I'm mostly looking for knowledge of symptoms and solutions. Anyone with first (or second) hand knowledge would be great!

Thank you to those whom have already shared!

Comment

OK, symptoms or signs since it is not really a disease, of kissing spines would include vague lamenesses that you can't isolate to a single leg or joint, vague NQR-some days good, other days not, bad behavior jumping-like rushing the fences, throwing the head up and taking off or bucking on landing that will not school out. Most of the time they look normal but some of them...just look a little crooked in the neck or stand "funny" sometimes. Lot of them seem to be hard keepers too, probably because they hurt.

No proof at all but most of them I have known all had at least some degree of ewe neck and tended to carry it upright with alot of difficulty flexing in the poll and reaching down and out in front-fact they could not stretch out and down when given a loose rein. But not all horses that are like that have kissing spines.

One positive here, if all you have observed is this one getting "stuck" when being led and then a buck? That is more like a sticky joint somewhere, like the previously suggested stifle. Kissing spines really shows up when you ask them to work hard, they are fine just being led around or doing some easy flatwork.

Sounds like an old theory that a horse bucking is self adjusting, some truth to that, when they roll too. But that won't fix an actual case of kissing spines, more like a normal hard stretch when us humans get out of bed or something.

I would not worry too much about the KS here, maybe look at the stifle and just make sure he is warmed up before you work hard. Pretty typical in those off the track and quite manageable for most. Just be aware of it.
              When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Original Poster

Hmm, what about stifle lock? That seems more relavent. The discomfort, being 'stuck' and needing to buck comes when he has been standing for a long time and locks his legs. That seems more to what I read about stifle lock. A lot of people have mentioned discomfort undersaddle with kissing spine, I pulled up a thread over in eventer land, and Piper doesn't have any issue undersaddle and no lameness which it seems most with kissing spine have.

A couple of people have mentioned stifle discomfort on this thread which lead me to reading up on the stifle and finding 'Stifle Lock'.

Comment

You might get a lot more information if you ask your question in the "Horse Care" forum.
                  Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

Working...
                  X