Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

BB2

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot the pic of me in the navy Devon jacket.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Dewey - You only live once, and it would be a really amazing experience for you. You can always pay the non-member fee instead of joining USEF/USHJA if it's the only A show you'll be attending this year which will save you some money. However, like you said, it does still add up and will be significantly more expensive than the shows you normally attend. If you're not comfortable with spending that kind of money, could you still attend the show with your barn and help groom and cheer everyone on as they show? That would be a nice way to get part of the experience without the expense, and you could see first-hand if it seems like a show you'd want to attend next year and then you'd have time to start saving for it!

P.S. That jacket is lovely on you

My gorgeous mare arrived last night! She was cool as a cucumber checking out the new barn and dove straight into her hay. Didn't seem to have a care in the world. The shipper told me she was totally relaxed the entire trip and she wished they were all so calm traveling. I'm hoping that's a testament to her amazing brain!

The sellers agent also contacted me and said the owner/breeder (BNR) wanted to stay in contact with me and was very proud of breeding this mare....I said ABSOLUTELY! I was also able to get a ton of baby pictures of her, which I think is really special.

Planning on riding her today, and I'll get some more pics! She showed up late, barn lighting was bad, this is the only pic we got and it's not the best but I'll share anyway....and I look like the michelin man with so many layers...don't mind me
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0364[6501].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	10332516

Comment

• Sugar, she's lovely! Dark bay with a star--I like it!

And the smile on your face says it all!
        I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Sugar - So exciting!!! She's super cute!!! And so great that she's such an easy traveler and settling in well. Enjoy the journey!!

Dewey - I would absolutely do it if it were me! Especially since you missed out on the finals last year.

Meg - Cupid is starting to shed too. My understanding is it has to do with longer daylight hours and nothing to do with weather, unfortunately. But hopefully the groundhog is correct and spring is coming.

Mustang - Cupid was starting to get spur rubs with my plain Prince of Wales spurs, but we haven't had a problem since I switched to roller balls (I use these: https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Stub...page-STST.html)
          I read about a study on spurs last year, which said that clipping didn't make a difference (though anecdotally many riders may disagree!) Here's an excerpt: https://thehorse.com/158723/bit-nose...orses-studied/

Our cold snap has broken, now it's just rain and more rain in the forecast :/ Thank goodness for our covered arena!
          http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• TCDewey, love the jacket. I love green, as well. Hmm. And I guess about the show, if you're thinking you might want to do it, and you're just now sure, I think that maybe you should go. You may only do this once in your life. If you're more thinking, I really shouldn't do it, then maybe trust your gut, and sit this one out. I think I would go ahead and do it. If so, ENJOY! You can wave to my trainer who is always there.

Sugar, your mare is SO cute! What is her name? Or give us a nickname we can call the pretty girl. What is her breeding. She really, really does remind me of Katie. I have baby pics of Katie as well, and I treasured them. Sounds like she has a great brain. Hope you have a wonderful ride. How did you find her?

Nothing new here. Cold again, as stated above. Brr. Horses are back in blankets.
            My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• AWWWWW a brown black mare. I soooo wish that Stars was that colour and not just brown. I know I know. A good horse has no colour.

Dewey if you don't mind the expense I would go to cross it off a bucket list.
              It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• Dewey you should MOST DEFINITELY do it. They say that half the mental benefit of a vacation is the planning and looking forward to it, especially when you have some stress in your job or life. You most definitely have a lot on your plate. I do too, and I'll be honest, my escape to WEF is keeping my afloat these days. It's reignited some real young horse girl daydreams. Good for you on your jacket, it will look GORGEOUS in the Florida light!

Mustang I really like the equifit belly band for spur rubs. It's a pain but after two or three weeks, they do go away. Also for runny manure, I really like either a few days or biosponge, or switching some of their hay for pellets for a week or two. It's easier on their colon and usually clears up the runniness. We've had a lot of it and it really helps.

Sugar I am all swooney over here for your mare. She looks gorgeous, the video of her in the trailer was terrific. Just so darn excited for you! Would love to know her breeding as well!

Cupid Feeling you girl, the weather here has been an utter pain! Whenever it finally dries out, we are supposed to get rain again. The arena I ride in primarily has French drains and special footing so it can take a beating, but there are limits.

Lucky hang in there with your grandparents, that sounds quite stressful, I'm really sorry.

Meg I would be totally devastated by your hot tub incident, what a complete and utter bummer. I'm hoping insurance covers it. Hoping you get some warmer temps soon, the cold does really no one any good!

PF I would also be nervous to change his diet too dramatically. If you're worried abotu weight could you add a dash of renew gold or cool stance (renew gold has a lot of the same things plus extra fats), just to keep him from being too ribby?

Techni I am SO jealous you are going to WEC. It looks so darn cool, I would love to see it in person.

Not much to report, Sandro felt more sound than ever after the show and then we had rain and then things got really cold. The turkey spun my trainer off on Wednesday, what a jerk. He's getting his comeuppance today, I set four bounces of big cross rails, his booty is getting whipped today.

My trainer didn't tell me until yesterday bc my mom was in surgery for her double mastectomy. I had hoped this was all we had to worry about but they are testing two spots that looked suspicious. If they weren't contained, she will still need chemo or radiation. She's doing ok. I wish she would be a bit more on top of the pain meds, but she's generally ok. It was hard seeing her after surgery, so tiny and vulnerable and pale in her bed.

thanks everyone for the kind words, I really do appreciate it.

Comment

• Sugar - how lovely she is! Congrats! The shippers comment means a lot. They know the good ones right away! Enjoy her and we can't wait to hear about your adventures!

Dewey - absolutely go! If even not to ride yourself but to get the lay of the land for a possible future show. And to watch all the BNR/BNT, it's amazing how inspiring it can be and what it can bring to your own riding. I love a green jacket in the hunter ring amid a sea of blue.

Meg - Spring will come! So sorry about your hot tub disaster. It sounded like the perfect end to frigid days. Hope it's sorted soon.

Greys - oh dear, Sandro better straighten up and fly right! Dumping his people is unacceptable. Sounds like you've got a plan to get his focus on the job. Your mother will be in my prayers. It's so hard to see someone who has always been so strong go through a period of weakness. I'm sure it will be no time before she's chasing after that precious grandson. {{hugs}}

I know there's a thread about this on the FAL but: Danielle Goldstein's feathers - I don't get it! I saw her last week at Deeridge and then this week she was warming up while trainer #2 was warming up Remy. It certainly caught his attention! When she first did it they were a little more discrete but now it looks like she has a giant Phoenix on her back. She almost sits on them while riding. I don't know, even in the jumper ring conservative attire is a rule. Nothing conservative about her!! I guess I'm just too traditional.

Things were a little quieter this week even though it's a 5* and 2* week. Some of the big names doing their horses in slightly lower classes this week in anticipation of the Nation's Cup at Deeridge next weekend. Hunter rings were busier as next week is Hunter Week at WEF (eek!) EVERYone with a hunter shows! Timing was such that DD will show, Probably in one of the lower/unrated divisions has she hasn't stepped back into Hunterland since Aug. and hasn't ridden the last two weeks while up in PA.

Comment

• greys...many, many jingles for your mom!!!

Comment

• Austen, I'm totally with you on DG's hair. At first I thought it was kind of cool, a little less obtrusive, and just a little kick of style and personality. They were much shorter and much lighter, and definitely fewer. I think the more people talk, the more obtrusive they get. I really dislike them now. And I mentioned on FAL that when she is in the ring, I do not "see" her beautiful horse jump. I only watch her hair. It's so very distracting. Ah, well. She's an excellent rider, and I do think the feathers detract from that and from her horse. Have fun!!!

Comment

• Dewey- I say go for it. I would never be able to show at that level, so I look forward to living vicariously What does "soft shell" mean? I have old school wool jackets.

Sugar- OMG, I was hoping that was your girl. Her eye is so soft and kind and I love her markings!! What's her name?

Lost- I saw the pics of Danielle, is her hair that long that the feathers/hair are all the way down her back? I'm surprised horses haven't spooked at her.

Greys- bigtime jingles for your Mom, and for you. Seeing family in vulnerable situations is hard. When is your fun-time at WEF? How do those belly bands go on?

So the saga continues- Granddad is officially at the rehab, as of later tonight. I would greatly appreciate jingles for the rest of us. Granny is being terrible to Mom, I feel caught in the middle. Essentially, Mom and I are making all decisions since Granny will only think in her own interests. When she was informed of some equipment/grab bars she could put in the bathroom for his ease of use and greater independence, her reply was she had just redone her bathroom. In other words, couldn't be bothered, won't do it. Granny has written Granddad off and is fine with him never coming home.

I know long-term care is the best thing for him, I just hate that it happened this way. I know he's gonna be mad at me and Mom for a bit. I know I keep venting- this is my safe place

Thankfully Fab has my lesson set for tomorrow as I'm working Sunday, after not working Wed-Sat. I've never needed Pony snuggles and Fab-time more

Comment

• Sugar - OMG, she's gorgeous. And you look so happy. I can't wait to hear/see updates!

Suzie - Yes, I definitely need some chalk! When I first tried to do a trace clip it was so uneven and awful...and ended up in a body clip. Do you just use regular chalk?

Dewey - I think it sounds like a great opportunity, if you can make it work financially !

TC - Those look like the spurs my trainer has! I'm adding them to my RW wishlist...I just paid for all my memberships for the year and my credit card isn't happy about it. Lol, such is life with horses.

Greys - I tried two rounds of biosponge (syringe and powder) and he was moderately better while on them, but went back to normal afterwards. I might try feeding a maintenance dose of the powder at some point if nothing else seems to work. Pellets are also on the list of things to try! I was actually looking at the bellyguard. It the rubs don't clear up within the next few weeks, I think I might buy one (or try to find a used one). Are there any good dupes you know of, or is Equifit the only one that makes a good one? I looked into Horze's version but it had some bad reviews...

Lucky - Jingles! I'm sure you're doing the right thing, even if he might not recognize it now.

Comment

• Mustang I have no idea. I don't clip any more. My horses have fine coats. Hubby said normal drawing chalk. Chalk is chalk. You probably want a thicker one.

Comment

• Lucky - DG's feathers are some type of hair extensions. And, as PF said, they keep getting more and more dramatic. I've haven't seen them full out spook a horse yet but, Remy was definitely giving her the side eye!
                              My heart goes out to you and your Mom dealing with your grandparents. I had a similar situation with my in-laws years ago. Mom-in-law flat out refused to let Dad-in-law come home. So, I sympathize with you and understand your need to vent. {hugs}

Comment

• Lost- thanks very much. On a happier note, when checking IG, I realized you may get to see some of my personal favorites that do our local GP circuit- Christoph Schroeder and Faith Davis. Horses would be Atlanta, possibly Duran Duran, Cardiff, possibly Tatiana Houser's horse Camouflage (she's pregnant so not sure who's campaigning Cami) If you see Duran Duran, you'd know it= big chestnut with light banged tail and at least here at Brownland they play Duran Duran when he's in the ring.

Funny story= Mom and I were shopping for Granddad and we found him this super soft green plaid button down. With his shoulder, button downs are our friend. Well, turns out it's a hip=hop shirt. On the back it says "Respect the Hustle". Hey, if you can't be hip at 91, when can you

Comment

• PF - We obviously built our last place, and I really enjoyed it for the most part. Many people said we'd spend way more building instead of buying, but in the end what was most important was we were able to design everything exactly like we wanted it. Now that we're looking for an already built place, I always find a hundred things I would want to re-do or would have done differently.

Glad you're already seeing a difference in the boys behavior with the new diet!

TC - Wow, snow?! Cupid looks less than amused in that picture

Meg - Yikes! That really sucks about the roof collapsing, thank god you weren't in the hot tub at the time!!

Lucky - So sorry you're stuck in the middle of everything right now, that's so hard. Take full advantage of your barn time to clear your head and let yourself de-stress for a while!

Greys - I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, jingles and prayers for her and your family.

I named the mare Lucca, after one of my favorite cities in Italy. Her sire is (was, he passed away last year) Sampson, who was known as Remus Con in Europe. Pic below of him, and some baby pics of her

Name:	image1.jpeg
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	10333223

Name:	image3.jpeg
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	10333225

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	10333226
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Comment

• AAAAAWWWWW I so wish I had baby piccies of Pepper.

Comment

• Sugar- love the pics, what a pretty girl and cute baby

So lesson time became hang with Fab time. We had loads of rain earlier in the week which led to two lovely "pools" in the middle of the arena. It was below 30 when I got there so Fab and I just hung out in the house. We did have to go to the barn briefly, and Pony threw her head up with ear pricked when she heard us

Comment

• Sugar....awww!! Adorable baby pics. And what an impressive "daddy"!

ETA: How tall is your pretty girl?
                                          Last edited by ParadoxFarm; Feb. 11, 2019, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X