Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sure the other riders will appreciate your support, Lucky.

I am also wIting for the 40, 040, 203 days of January to be over.

It is so hot and once again the grass is so dry that it is frizzling as you look at it. It is dead.

I was shocked to see how much weight Twiggy had lost, so I started putting her out in Stars paddock when he is in the house yard. There is some very tall green grass in there I think because of the mulch from feeding the cattle round bales in there. As well as the cattle adding fertilizer and urea. The horses have started to eat it a little bit but they don't pig out on it.

Last week, Hubby fed out round bales to Dodge, Toby and Stars. Sim is able to acces the round bales where they are kept. Twiggy was not given one as she is usually in a Jenny Craig paddock.

Toby loved his round bale. Sigh Dodge wanted Toby's round bale and has a small wound on his hoof He was so lame and asking for help that hubby got him some bute and an antibiotic. The lady told him the antibiotic is to stop cellulitis.

Dodge walked up to me the next day with no limp. Hubby didn't believe me when I told him. He is now only getting one syringe of bute now and still the antibiotic. He is not 100% sound yet.

Stars wasn't that interested in his round bale.

Hubby gave Toby another round bale away from Dodge today. He also put one in the house yard and one in the paddick for Stars. Stars was eating it.

This means probably a more limited time for Twiggy if she hoes into that when I let her out. She has put on weight in there without the round bale.

Bring on the rain. Sigh.
    It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Greetings from soggy Wellyworld Not a lot of showing here this week. They called off showing Thurs. afternoon due to thunderstorms, yesterday it rained off and on ALL day. The heavens finally really opened up during the jump off of the Grand Prix last night and it hasn't stopped. Show cancelled for today. DD had actually scratched earlier in the week. We had tweaked Penny's shoes a week ago and she told us she didn't like it by being a little off on Tues. Remy showed Wed. (With 120 of his friends!) and Fri. No ribbons but two really nice trips. Oliver showed Thurs. (under ominous skies!) and Fri. In the 1.30. His trips were so smooth so we think we'll move him up to the 1.35 this coming week. I only had two rides on G this week. One day I exited the dance floor early as one of the year round borders was lunging a horse over an X. Seemed to be going well enough but, still had me looking over my shoulder half the time.
      For the horse racing fans among us, we spent yesterday at Gulfstream Park for the running of the Pegasus Invitational and ignaural running of the Pegasus Turf class. Purses of $9,000,000 and $7,000,000 respectively. It was a soggy day (shades of my Preakness experience!) but a beautiful racing facility.

I hope the weather has more cooperative for all of you! But it looks like Mother Nature will not be kind to most of the country this coming week. Stay warm and dry re-riders (and cool, as the case may be Suzie).

Comment

Austen, that's crappy for the show with the weather. Boo. I WATCHED THAT RACE (on TV, of course). What a sloppy track. But what a nice win by City of Lights! That's so cool you were there. I missed the turf race, though. Ironically, our weather is finally dry for now.

Sun, I've been so far just feeding their hay and timothy/alfalfa pellets in place of grain. So I do four feedings of about 1.75 pounds of pellets, (plus hay). I'm sort of doing a detox for two weeks and will add in the ProAdd after that, and watch and see if they need the fat supplement. Lucky, the ProAdd is a supplement that adds the vitamins and minerals plus protein so the are supposed to keep a good topline. The Coolstance is a fat supplement if they need some more calories. It's coconut based and is supposed to keep them "cool" and not jack them up. So fingers are crossed. They're been a little better..but who knows if it's because it's because of the change or because I've gotten them out each day. But I can't help but think it's helping. I'll know more as time progresses.
        My hopeful road to the 2021 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

Lol at the 40,040,203 days of January! Where are you, Sun??????? I'm in Ontario. I'm NOT that kind of weatherproof, so we're limited to the indoor. Even indoors, I'll only ride down to about - 10C/14F. Anything colder, and it's just no fun.

Are you SURE there are only 40,040,203 days to go?

The wind is HOWLING out there now, but my new bridle just arrived, so I'll head out to the barn in a bit. Oh how I fantasize about May! Especially since I've been in touch with a Hunt Club and plan to cap with them (SQUEEEEE! First ever for me and for Winnie B!) this spring. I've also found a nearby facility with a small XC course, and will take some beginning dressage lessons. I feel like life is on hold, just waiting for the outdoors to quit being deadly.

PF??????, good luck with the feed change! Winnie was so bad for a little while that BO offered to take her off grain, but she's settled some. Winter is the worst.

Lucky??????, hope the show is fun! As someone who rides alone a lot and will begin off-property adventures alone in spring, a helping hand is SUCH a blessing!

Comment

Rather tham adding a supplement I give them a brick that is supposed to have everything that a performance horse needs. They can lick it and they get what the need when they want it without me force feeding them.
            Last edited by SuzieQNutter; Jan. 27, 2019, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Happy Australia Day

https://www.facebook.com/1359572227/...3788108841149/

Comment

PF- thanks as always for the explanation. Fab and I were talking about grain/supplements/forage today. She does, as you do, feeding several meals vs morning/evening only. So are most TBs hotter with feeds, so that calories have to be "cool" to avoid undesirable behaviors, or is it mostly the Off Track ones?

Lost- Bummer about the weather. Can't believe classes are still so big. Do most folks go and stay for however many weeks the circuit is down there or do they do week to week? I, too, am leery to ride when others are lunging, however I would totally agree with your decision when horse is being lunged over an X too many opportunities for misstep or hijinks!

Rode Pony today, and we are proud members of the EarPlug and Bonnet club She went so well in both, however the tassels of the bonnet kept getting in her eyes, so I fixed it. I cut the fringe off, and OMG she looked even cuter with the bonnet. I'm going to get her, with Fab's blessing, a real bonnet without tassels, in royal blue.

I'm getting over the crud, so my stamina for walk/trot lasted 30 minutes, but it was a good 30. I did have to resurrect the Crop of Power as a reminder that my cues aren't suggestions. She will step right off if I ask in the right frame of mind and frame of Pony Having never put in earplugs, I was pleasantly surprised how easy Pony was about it- considering she requires a twitch to clip the ears, but I can brush and rub them all I want without a fuss.

Comment

Lost - Sorry to hear about the weather, but it seems like you're making the most if it (and maybe having a little fun in the process too)! Hopefully this week brings some better conditions. How long will you be out there?

Suzie / Sun - Isn't January the worst? I'm ready for winter to be over. Unfortunately summer is very hot out here in the central valley of California, so I'll probably be doing just as much complaining come July! I wish it could just alternate between spring and fall forever !

Meg - That sounds like fun. New tack is the best! Way more fun than buying a new dress/scarf/whatever. What kind is it? I'm halfheartedly in the market for a show bridle for dressage (something with bling that doesn't break the bank), and a H/J bridle for schooling.

Lucky - The ear plug and bonnet club is the best club, especially mid-winter! You should post a picture of that new bonnet when you get it. I totally know what you mean about the "crop of power!" This has been the focus of lots of my rides lately, too. At some point my horse just started tuning out my leg and I learned to nag him incessantly. It wasn't until I switched barns recently that my trainer suggested a serious attempt to re-install that aid. It's been wonderful.

~~~

Earlier this month I threw my horse a 25th birthday party, and while the weather decided not to cooperate, it seemed like everyone had fun. We did it during mid-day lessons, so most everyone was around. Champagne was popped (quietly, as to not spook the horses) and carrot cake was devoured. We tried to put party hats on the horses, but they didn't think it was as fun as we did. My parents were in town visiting, which made it even better. My mom has always been scared of horses, but she's really taken to my horse as he's gotten older (read: calmer) which totally warms my heart. We don't know exactly when his birthday is - I don't have his papers, and his FEI passport only lists a birth year, so I figured January is as good a time as any to celebrate!

Anyway, here are some photos from the party (the one with my parents has their faced covered for their anonymity's sake)!

Click image for larger version  Name:	bday 1.jpg Views:	2 Size:	16.0 KB ID:	10324828
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	bday 2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	10.6 KB ID:	10324829

Comment

Love the bday party! And how sweet that your mom has warmed to him!

Love new tack! Though, I spend too much timing looking at sale pages, since I'm only getting to ride about twice a week when I'm lucky. Ontario winter.

New bridle is a Pessoa, and I think I'm gonna love it. Got on clearance, so $300 for a $415 bridle. I have a Stubben I like, nice fit and feel, but doesn't match my saddle. Bought an HDR to match, but I don't like the leather (I'm a bit of a tack snob...I try not to be, but I likes what I likes! my HDR leathers are okay, though they don't take oil well). The Pessoa fit nicely and took some oil, so I think it will match well in time (the problem with matching new tack to used; my saddle is older and has that aged patina). It felt better brand new than the HDR feels after 5 or six rides, being cleaned and conditioned after each one.

I have a barely used HDR H/J bride if you're looking, haha!

Comment

Sun: sending you a ton of hugs. I found out a few weeks ago my mom has breast cancer. It's contained, stage 0 and she's planning a full double mastectomy, so she never has to worry, but I would be lying if it hadn't completely thrown me for a loop. I honestly haven't even been able to tell people, I feel completely clammed up about it. But all the things you're feeling, I've definitely felt as well. My only advice is to lean into the positive moments. They are islands of joy, you are 100% entitled to them, and they will lift your boat as you go through the rest of the storm. I know I"m responding really emotionally, both positively and negatively to everything, and it's making me extra fun to be married to . Hang in there. I'm here if you ever want to chat offline.

Austen so sorry to hear the weather has most definitely NOT been cooperating. everyone doesn't pack up their whole lives for months on end just to stay indoors. Hoping it passes really quickly! So excited to hear your horse is moving up, that's exciting. I feel like there's a huge step up from 1.10-1.15 to 1.20m and then again from 1.30 to 1.35-1.40m. Really exciting.

Lucky I kind of agree that an open class is really not super appealing. I don't blame you for wanting to skip it! I'm glad the bonnet and ear plugs are working, they are totally magic for Sandro at the shows, I have no idea why the power bonnet suddenly makes traffic more ok, but it does. I'm not asking questions.

PF Man, feeding is so damn complicated. I realized we had gotten down a complete rabbit hole with all our add ons and potions for Sandro's ulcers so I finally threw my hand's up and enlisted an equine nutritionist. I'll let you know what she says. I'm definitely team forage with Sun, I feel like the more I can get done with hay, the better. And small meals, that's really the dream if you can make it happen. My vet was like why are you feeding grain again? I think people just assume it has to be grain for performance horses. The groom who used to take care of Sandro at the barn cannot believe how fat he is without any grain.

Meg Wow, you couldn't get me out of the house in 14 degrees F. Let alone on my horse, who is very bright eyed when we get into the 40/50s. You guys are all so brave. what kind of bridle did you get???

Mustang ohhhh this just warms my heart, I love a good horse birthday!!! He looks really to be in the prime of health, what a credit to you and your barn. It is so cool to see someone taking such meticulous care of an older horse, giving him dignity as he ages. Chapeau to you!

~~~
                      We had a mostly terrific show. Z showed him Wednesday in the 1.10m and he looked quite brave and easy.

Thursday I did the high adults, 1.10m. My first round was solid, Sandro just felt eager and easy. Jumpoff was ok, I just kept turning to a quiet distance. My coach said I needed to look in earlier and that there was one less there. But Sandro was amazing, I was thrilled with him. We finished 2nd.

https://vimeo.com/313704562

The best part was that my coach was like, he's ready for the 1.20s. I was like maybe let's have a good show in the 1.10s and come back week 6 and move up then.

The next day, our class was scheduled for 4pm, but thanks to a coach getting stuck at another ring, I didn't ride until 5pm, when it was quite dark. Didn't matter to Sandro, he was rock solid. We had one down when I got worried about a bending line and didn't balance enough for the vertical in. But I was still so happy with Sandro.

https://vimeo.com/313867298

The last day was the classic. And it was first in the morning. So Sandro didn't have much recuperation time. And he felt tired and maybe a little uncertain the warm up. I kept finding the quiet one in my warm up, which always makes me hesitant. He sort of spooked at jump 1 and I rode defensively the rest of the way, and we had two down.

https://vimeo.com/313871465

I was so sad to not have ridden better. When he's nervous, he needs you to hug him with his legs and stay calm and send him forward, not pull to the bottom of every jump. My trainers still want me to move up, but I feel like I need to get some air in Sandro's tires between now and then...

Comment

Greys- Jingles for you and your family, there's something about dealing with a parent's illness that is harder than dealing with a personal one. I'm glad Sandro was a rockstar- the round I saw on IG looked great! It's hard when they spook, to not ride defensively. You ride so quietly, I know you can give Sandro the ride he needs, even when you move up!

Yes, I think the bonnet/ear plugs have magic powers. When Pony went for her second lesson, Fab had to encourage her by popping the lunge whip, and she never even changed her pace. We think she didn't hear it, or chose to ignore it She gave me plenty of side eye when she passed me by the gate.

So Fab was talking about Buddy, the super fancy senior gelding we have. She said how great he went with one of the newer adults, didn't put a foot wrong. I told her when she thinks I'm ready I'd love to try him again. I did power walking on him. I'm hoping since there's not construction/demo going on, I could handle it better. He's a forward ride, though, and if you don't relax and let him go, he gets up/down bouncy. It will take a much chillier seat for me, and a bigger mental zen than I ride with now, as Pony overrides my nerves a lot.

Comment

Greys - So sorry to hear about your mother. I hope her procedure goes well and that you have many good years left with her. On a more positive note, your rides looked awesome! I hope you don't beat yourself up about the classic too much. Overall it was still a nice ride and had some great moments. If riding was easy, it'd be an entirely different sport. Also, sparked by lucky's comment, I totally want to follow your Thermal adventures on IG too!

Sun - My family has had its share of medical issues in the past few years, and I had a parent pass away when I was a young. Greys' advice about leaning into the positive moments is so spot-on in my experience. For those of us still here, life goes on, and those who aren't with us anymore wouldn't want us to dwell in sadness. If you ever need to talk, let me know.

Meg - I spend an unhealthy amount of time looking at sales pages, too. It's a problem .

Comment

PH and I had a chilled out ride. The weather is meh, the footing is meh. So we did what we could. You can get a lot done in walk, actually, there is always something to work on, and we pottered around over some ground poles as well. I wanted to focus on PH working from behind. We have our schooling dressage show in a couple of weekends. PH is barefoot and unclipped. We will of course use his bit in the show, but I have been riding in his halter the past few rides. It is clear he prefers it. And it is what gives us the whatever that comes together so magically in the bit. Like a tune up.

So my shaggy beast and I practice and potter and practice and potter--my rides with him include plenty of breaks and stretching between the harder work. I am trying to do some more work without stirrups, as well.

I know my decision to go to a show is causing a mild stir at the present barn, where NO ONE shows. Lots of horses clipped, under layers of blankets, many rarely ridden, many though groomed to perfection. PH is a mud monster in the winter, and with his long coat, knocking all the mud off is a pain. I clean off the tack areas, and give him a general going over, but he is not spotless. I think that many people at this barn are afraid of their horses. Hence, the polishing and lack of riding.

Some have not ( in my mind) had much in the way of "education" in the way of the horse world-- lacking knowledge of basic arena etiquette, for instance. Like passing left to left. Or just knowing how to work around people when they are schooling and you are schooling. Like not barreling through someone's 20 meter circle and nearly causing a collission.

Yes, of course, he will be cleaned up for the show. <insert massive eye roll>. He will get put in his clean wool stable rug overnight, and all will be well. His tail is trimmed, his mane needs pulling- but since he hates letting me pull it- he barely tolerates gentle brushing- yes, oh horrors, I am taking scissors to it!

So people are mmm your shaggy mud beast is going to a show? But he is schooling like a dream, and anyway, I just want to go and do something with him and have fun. I am sure they don't know this is not my first rodeo, I have been to a bazillion shows, large and small, unrated and rated, whatever, all of my life. Its NBD to go to one-- aside from being fun-- but I don't have nerves or performance anxiety or anything. No.

Eek. This has turned into a semi rant. Never mind. I think I have the January mehs and people are getting on my nerves more than usual.
                            A canter is a cure for every evil. ~Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

Sun I do not pull my horse's manes. I leave them as long and thick as possible and do a running plait. The running plait takes 5 minutes. I put it in before warming up and I take it out afterwards because it is so quick to put in if I need to go in again I just redo it.

No noone else does it and I am old enough now that people don't bother to tell me to pull and rosette.

When we took Sim to the first lesson. I pre warned hubby that my instructor would ask when his mane is going to be pulled and the answer is NEVER. 5 minutes. 5 minutes on us arriving the question was asked. He has not bothered asking about it since with the other horses.

If you are going to use scissors the trick is to flick the mane on to the wrong side and cut along. Then when you flick it back it should look more natural.

Mine are not mud monsters at the moment as we are in a drought. We are on tank water so they never get hosed and I do not wash a horse. If you are in winter at the moment, washing takes out their natural oils and they have 48 hours to catch pneumonia. They are so shiny that I would not hesitate to take them to a show unwashed.

When I was in NSW, I had bought my Vinnie Girl. (Golden Vienna). I had been riding her for a few months as she was out of work when I bought her. An agister had to pull out of 2 dressage tests as her mare was lame. I joked that I should take Vinnie in lieu. My boss was behind me and said we were quiet and I could go. The agister said she would take Vinnie for me.

Gulp. I couldn't back out. I went to ride her and realised I had never done a test on her. Disaster was the only word that came to mind. Sigh. I did wash her.

She was loaded and taken there for me. I unloaded her and whatever I had washed her in meant that. every. single. hair.was.sticking.up.

I was mortified. Of course every one else was on clipped horses without a hair out of place. Vinnie was a warm blood with a long coat. I completely died inside and if I had come there myself I would have loaded her up and taken her home.

I hopped on and warmed her up in a Spanish snaffle with a chain. I was an unknown nobody on a feral horse with an incorrect bit

I swapped to the snaffle and OMG when she entered at A she just melted and was perfect. We won. Which goes to show that riding is everything. It didn't matter that I was on a feral looking horse. That my bridle cost $15.00. My saddle was 2nd hand. My clothes were borrowed. I was unknown to everybody.

Go out and WOW them with PH.

Lucky feed affects all horses and ponies. The saying is that feed goes to their heads. Corn is very heating, oats is pretty heating.

The thing is that a heated up tb will usually bolt, or they can be difficult on the ground or/and under saddle or they can buck.

With a horse that is not forward, feed will not make them go. It will make them buck.

With any pony or horse if you cannot grab the crest in the middle of the neck and move it from side to side. Cut out all hard feed immediately. Thy are about to founder from overfeeding.

With the realm of overfed and underworked it has to do with Fitness. When Mum lost Tommy. I bought James back from my boss and gave him to her. THE quietest TB you have ever met. My mum had been riding for a life time.

She called me after a week to say she was in trouble with him. She had ridden down to the scout den and had to get off him. She thought this is ridiculous she hadn't gotten off a horse for over 20 years. She got back on. Nope she got back off again and now she had a 16.2hh TB wheeling around her and dangerous to lead home.

Mum had done all the right things. He was on hay only and being ridden an hour a day, but he had been my company horse and I was riding him for 3 - 5 hours a day.

I came and got on him and took him out. He started by leaping forward. Not fun. Especially when he is going to land right in front of a road sign and you have no idea if he is going to go left or right when he lands. Phew I did go with him when he landed and not head first into the sign.

Once I had been on him long enough with a few canters. He settled down. As I said before it takes them as long to get out of it as it does for them to get into it. I came out the next day so that one long ride fixed him. It is not much fun if you have 2 weeks to get it out of their system.

Feeding is always a balance. We have no grass at the moment. The tbs have been given a round bale of grassy feed each. I have picked an extruded pellet with no oats, no molasses and no corn. Stars is on a different pellet which is still forage but has more protein as he is in the higher work and I want that for his muscles. I try to work them daily.

They are being fed twice a day with lucerne chaff. Which is chopped up hay if you don't have that over there and once a day a Cup of a supplement with biotin and something else which is supposed to be good for hind gut to prevent founder. They each have a brick to lick that says it has everything a performance horse needs and a Himalayan salt block.

As I said it is a balance. A week ago Toby was too quiet. That means he would using himself for the work instead of for himself and he came here too skinny. So he was given a round bale and an extra cup of pellets. He also went to the chiropractor who if he takes away pain will mean putting on weight. He also had his teeth done which were very bad, so nearly a week off. The first lunge lesson was 'fun'.
                              Last edited by SuzieQNutter; Jan. 29, 2019, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Greys, jingles for your mom! Hope all goes well!

I LOVE watching you and Sandro! You two make it look easy, when I know that it's NOT AT ALL. So fluid, and he looks so happy with his job! Hope you're not kicking yourself too hard over that last round. Your worst day is beyond any of my goals, lol! And what a picturesque venue, with the palm trees and the mountainous background! I'm jealous. Outside is evil where I live.

I think we were posting at the same time. I got a Pessoa bridle. Think I'm going to love it. I could spend SOOOOOOO much on tack, lol! There are a lot of higher end brands that are just out of my reach, financially. And it's a bit silly, as I don't have any lofty goals for competing or anything. I just love soft, supple leather, that mellow glow of good tack when it's well-cared for (I actually HATE brand new tack, but I love it once it breaks in right). The look, feel, smell. Hubby thinks I'm a weirdo. We sat down to watch a movie, and I spread towels on the floor and took my bridle apart to clean and oil it while we watched. "You're spending and hour cleaning your brand-new bridle?? Is that actually necessary?" I reminded him that I don't opine on his plane maintenance (not entirely true!), so he can keep his tack opinions to himself. I used to hate cleaning tack as a youth. Now I find it somehow soothing.

As for "braving" the cold...it's not bravery, it's lack of options! I get pretty grumpy if I go a week or more without riding now. My barn time is quite therapeutic for me. I hate the cold, but it's here for a few more months, so I do what I have to do to stay sane, and to help poor Winnie B stretch her legs. I worried she'd get arena sour, but since it's the only time she gets any exercise, she's actually been a doll through all of our many, many circles. :-D She seems quite happy to get to work.

Mustang, the tack shopping is bad, but I have one that's worse...hubby is going to sell his SUV and get a truck this spring (he's been such a doll in this transition to having a horse-owning wife, lol!), and I'm already starting to shop for trailers. My only real riding goal is to get a truck and trailer, and to get my traveling girl back on the road to get out and explore together. Trailer shopping is a bit soul-crushing, though! I know I'll end up getting some little 2-horse bumper pull. That's what's practical, what I can afford, and really all I need at this point. But OH the lovely gooseneck 2+1's that I like to drool over!

Sun

Comment

I've been reading along and mainly just lurking, but all is well with myself, and Cupid and the baby.

Greys and Sun - You and your families are in my thoughts. Hoping for healing and happy times ahead.

Sugar - Fingers crossed that property works out, and that you get some good lessons it at the new/current barn in the meantime. I thought of you at the NHL all star game last weekend

Paradox - I hope your horses thrive on the new feed regime When is your next scouting trip to Lexington?

Meg - -22C is insane!!!

My rides have been going really well, this dressage stuff is finally starting to come together! We made a lot of progress last year and I think we're in a good position to make a similar leap this year. Though I still have a lot of work on I'm feeling really hopeful and excited.
                                  http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sun- I'm glad you had good rides on PH, and I hope the show is loads of fun. I used a Solo comb at one of my old barns- I had never used or seen one, and of course, being in the Arab zone now, for sure won't see one in the near future.

TC- glad you and baby Jack are surviving the winter doldrums! I'm excited to see what the riding year holds for all of us re-riders.

Comment

So I just ordered Pony's new bonnet- royal blue with gold/silver piping and crystals. Can. Not. Wait. Ebay is a dangerous endeavor for me

Comment

Wellllll hubby said we needed 2 new purple metal bridle holders. He would be able to fit them in between the last one and the wall.

I asked if that meant that I actually had permission to visit Horseland. MUWAHAHAHAHAAHA

Meg as you said it was the first time you had trimmed a tail I will say that when you do it, you lift the tail and run your hand down and trim down the bottom. That is because horses lift their tail when they are working and you want it square then, not when they are standing still sleeping.

Comment

Lost - Bummer about the weather, but so exciting to read about Remy and Oliver's success! Those are some huge classes, it has to be so gratifying to see them both doing so well! Love your recaps, I can just imagine being in balmy Florida while in reality, I'm bundled up in front of the computer while it's single digits outside

Sun - So sorry for everything you're dealing with! Hugs!!

Meg - Haha I can totally relate to the grumpiness of being out of the saddle for too long. I generally start to get crabby if I miss 2-3 days, so like you, I have to suck it up in the winter and ride despite the miserable temps. It's currently -3 F but I have to head to the barn shortly, we have a show starting tomorrow
                                          P.S. I call them goat hairs too hahaha, I don't know what they're really called either...

PF - I'm super interested to hear how the change in feed goes. I had considered that last winter when my two were going nuts from lack of turnout, but I was worried they'd drop weight. Hopefully it makes a positive difference for your guys - keep us posted!

Lucky - Ugh, I don't blame you one bit for deciding not to show. Having to compete against pros can be pretty discouraging. I usually do an open division one of the days before my "real" division starts and I'm happy just to pin in those classes! Oh man, bonnet shopping sounds like it could be dangerous

Mustang - LOVE LOVE LOVE those pics! What a cute idea! The pic with your parents is adorable too. Now I feel like a bad horse mom, I didn't even make it to the barn a couple weeks ago for Cash's 18th bday, but I did bring him a bag of carrots the next day!

Greys - So sorry to hear about your mom, but it sounds like a great prognosis! Hugs to you both and jingles for a quick recovery for her. I have to say, I think it's awesome where you are with Sandro right now. After having a baby, and going from the barn you were at to having to be so much more independent and responsible for his training and care, you should be so proud of how well he's doing!

TC - So glad to hear everyone is doing well and that you're getting in some great rides! DH was glued to the TV all weekend watching the skills competition and all-star game, I managed to watch a little

Suzie - Uh-oh, I have a feeling you'll be coming home with much more than bridle holders

The house didn't work out, unfortunately. The barn and land were perfect, but we would have needed to pretty much redo the entire house. We made a great offer and the seller came back wanting us to pay the full asking price and to take it "as it" without him fixing anything the inspection would find so we walked away.

Cash has been doing great the past couple of weeks. Since his injections, we've had three full weeks of lessons and he's back to full 2'6" courses and staying sound (crossing fingers, hope I didn't just jinx it!) and feeling better than ever. We're heading to a show tomorrow and I'm excited to see how he is there.

My trainer also found a horse we're both excited about, she's a 5 year old dutch mare whose sire is doing the 1.60 in Europe, she's super quiet and straightforward, moves and jumps cute. I didn't see myself considering a mare, so that's my only hangup at this point which is pretty silly. I think we're going to try to schedule a PPE - fingers crossed!

Like I said, it's -3F right now but I need to get my trunk packed and give Cash a light hack before the show....I'm freezing just thinking about it

Stay warm, reriders!

Comment

Working...
                                          X