Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

1539 Hatchaway Bridge Road 100

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wishing a very happy Thanksgiving to all my RR friends. Enjoy your day!
    My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• Happy Thanksgivings.

Thanksgivings has not come in here yet. Some people do to Halloween and in some areas they also trick or treat but I would say over 50% of people do not do it and the only reason they give is that it is am American tradition and not an Australian one.

The shops have really taken to it and sell decorations. There is one house in Boonah that goes all out and decorates for Halloween when I am doing pamphlets.

BUT quite a few retailers have cottoned on to the black Friday sales. I guess more and more will each year.

I had a lesson on Ben on Thursday. I took the ute to pick up a bike someone was giving me and I forgot to put in jodhpurs. I went to Best and Less and paid $8.00 for some blue leggings. Nobody at the lesson said anything.

I felt strong in the saddle and I really felt close contact with him. I will stick with riding in leggings from now on. I asked for 3 right lead canters and really positioned my legs. They were perfect transitions. No surging like he used to. No thinking about left and me having to correct. I put my hand up and said if anything happens to him like Sim or Dodge, I will take him. We would have to get rid of Twiggy if that happened but at the moment he is going well at the riding school and I really do not need 4 horses in work.

Not that we have 4 horses in work at the moment. The chiropractor said Sim has done the splits with his hind legs and he is going to be out for months. It has been 2 so far

I have missed quite a few lessons on Ben and Stars because I have been working. Last week hubby was home and organised the vet to come on Tuesday so I couldn't go to my lesson on Stars. All 4 were given the Hendra vaccine on the near side and a 2 in 1 for strangles and tetanus in the off side.

Before that Stars and I went out for a ride. Then I rode him in the arena. We have been doing that with hubby in the arena when he is home. He lowers the lunge whip when I say slow. I am starting to actually collect him a little in the slow now and he raises the lunge whip when I say quick.

There is no ears back or slowing from Stars with us doing that. Also happily no bucking. Now to get that without hubby. I do think Stars needs another visit to the chiropractor. Sigh.

After that we went down and mustered the cattle up. It is the first time he has really done that. I kept him slow. Just walk and trot. I was happy that he stayed calm. He did not react when a beast suddenly turns and pissbolts which is very exciting. He did halt when I asked to give them time to go forward. Even the little calves went the way we wanted which on other days the opposite can happen.

I said to hubby wasn't Stars good. He said yes he was but he didn't do anything on his own. He only did what I told him to do.

Sheesh. It was his first time and he has had generations of being a race horse not a cow pony. What did he expect? Even cutting horses are taught how to chase a cow on an imitation cow. They don't just go out and do it on their first time.
      It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• Thanks, PF! You too Have you decided to give the horses a vacation for now?

Our high was 27 yesterday, and it was a beautiful 60 degrees over the weekend! Crazy! Cash was out of his mind wild between being cooped up for almost THREE weeks now and the massive temp change!

I'm meeting with two new trainers this week, really hoping I find a barn I like! One of the two sounds really, really promising. Feeding tailored specifically to each horse, daily turnout, large, airy stalls. Trainer took several kids to medal finals and pony finals....so fingers crossed

Comment

• Sugar, I'm crossing my fingers for you!! I hope one of these works out for you! I'm still on the fence about winter, but for what it's worth, I haven't ridden in two weeks. So then I get a nice day, and wonder if I should even bother, since it's been two weeks, and then the horse will likely be off for another 2 weeks. Just not sure it's worth it. Sigh. When we move to Lexington, I'm seriously thinking that I'll need a place with an indoor arena, even if it's small.

Comment

• Holy crap. https://www.annistonstar.com/the_st_...8350d8f6b.html

I knew this woman. Though we were not super close friends, we chatted all the time at shows and she came over to my farm and brought here horses in the past to ride. Very sad and very scary. I am wondering if it was a health issue or what. She was super nice.

A reminder to be careful, my RR friends!

Comment

• Oh my gosh, PF! How awful (and terrifying!)....that's disturbing that it happened at a boarding barn too, you'd think someone would have been around when it happened ((HUGS))

I totally hear you on the winter riding, that was exactly how I felt last winter when mine were home. But, I get seriously grumpy when I don't ride, so I forced myself to at least do walk work on days the weather wasn't cooperating. More power to you if you can enjoy a horse-vacation though, I don't think the horses mind one bit!

Comment

• Hi All,

I hope you had good Thanksgivings. The weather in Tucson has been beautiful, but I didn't ride over Thanksgiving. I had a poultry show (yes, I raise, breed, and show chickens) which kept me busy, among other family obligations. Plus I didn't have help with Malcolm. He is my 13 year old son, who has severe autism. It's hard to concentrate on the horses when he's with me.

I did get back on after my fall a few weeks ago. I only did a couple circles, but it was better than nothing. I was nervous getting on that I wept. Truly. I hope I can get through this. On a positive note, I finally got my drain out!
                  You hate that, dont you? Do you like oysters? You have to acquire a taste for oysters and the deep distance.
                  -- George H. Morris on learning to love the deep distance

Comment

• PF - winter riding is something I don't miss in the least! Of course, this Nov. has felt more like Wnter than Fall. I'd rather not ride at all then have less than satisfactory rides. Why take the hit to your confidence or pass your tensions on to your horse? Your guys get enough turn out and if your ring isn't frozen I'm sure a good longe gives them enough work. We're not supposed to get out of the 30's for the rest of the week, I last rode before Thanksgiving and I won't again until I get to FL. Even my trainer didn't ride the day after Thanksgiving when it fell to the 20's . You do what you're comfortable with.

Lucky - about clipping in the winter, it sure makes my horse a bit "fresher". I certainly don't need my spurs as he is more responsive to my leg. He adjusts after a couple days, unless the temps take a big drop. When I used to spend the whole winter up north I usually rode with a quarter sheet and warmed up with a wool cooler on top. And clipped early Nov. so some hair would have grown back by the time it got really cold! I'd ride in temps as low as the mid-20's (in the indoor). Lower than that and I didn't think it was fair to either of us!

Greys - have a great trip! Fingers crossed your little guy is a good traveler. Safe travels.

Sugar - hoping one of the trainers is all you're looking for! I can imagine you just want to be settled somewhere soon.

After my "spooky pony" non ride last week, I got on the next day (with ear plugs) and had a perfectly fine ride. Turns out it will be my last until we get to FL. Appointments and winter temps will keep me out of the saddle this week. Horses will ship down Sunday and they get at least two days off before. DD and I are planning a long weekend mid-Dec so we shouldn't suffer from horse withdrawal too badly.

Comment

• Greys - He came on Thanksgiving day, 3 days after my estimated due date. I thought I still had a few weeks to go because I never hit the uncomfortable stage, but I guess I was just lucky. He is small, but healthy and things are going well so far

Mrs FDF - Sending you good thoughts, sounds like you have an awful lot on your plate and I hope horses can become a happy distraction for you again.

Paradox - What a sad story

Austen - Can't wait to hear your stories from FL

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, and are staying warm!! It has been raining here, though not too cold.
                      http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Congratulations TC!! Much happiness to you and family TC!!

Comment

• Congrats, TC! Apparently I missed the exciting news! Hope you are all doing well

Comment

• I'm lost. Explain!! TC? Did you have a baby? If so I'm totally out of the loop! Mighty congrats if I'm reading that correctly.

Comment

• Happy belated Thanksgiving to everyone!!

PF - Oh gosh how terrible! I'm sorry for your loss... that's another example of why I always tell at least two people when I'm going to be at the barn by myself and tell them I'm going to check in by a certain time. Truly an unfortunate event.

MrsFDF - Good job getting back to it after your fall! I love the fall/winter weather in Arizona so I'm jealous! (sitting here currently in a mess of icy mud and irregular rain/snow mix in MI - bleh!)

---------------

Can't wait for the end of this week and the end of my self-inflicted no-stirrups torture. Since I achieved my goal of consistently completing 2'-2'3" courses without irons well before the end of the month (by the beginning of Week 2, actually!) I treated myself to a pair of new Tailored Sportsmans as an early reward. Just one more lesson and one more ride on the flat left and then I get my BLESSED RELIEF!

Video of some coursework from last night's lesson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTgSGmPJDCg

Comment

• TC- congrats! I'm glad you and baby are doing well.

FDF- I'm glad the drain finally came out, hopefully more positive riding adventures await.

PF- condolences on the loss of your friend, how scary.

Comment

• PF How scary. I am always on at hubby about the girth. His first fall was the first time he tacked up Pepper and he did not put the girth up tight enough. Sim had a rub because he did not put the girth up tight enough and the saddle went back. I don't know what it is as hubby is so much stronger than I am. I think it has something to do with the horses blowing up. I have also taught him always to check the girth again before mounting. So if you dismount, if you lunge first, whatever. Check the girth before mounting, and if you do tighten it walk the horse around the mounting block again. Don't tighten the girth and then hop on without moving the horse. I will show that link to hubby.

If I was over there I would be where there is an indoor arena. It is so annoying to have a horse out of work because of weather. Sigh that is what happens over here, but no snow, so we really don't have any excuse, and the expense is not really warranted but oh so wanted. That said I did not ride Stars yesterday. Rain in the morning and then the most awful hot gale. I even put my own hair in a ponytail which I don't normally do but in that gale there was not point not doing so.

Lucky one of the tricks on clipping is don't clip the saddle pad. You leave it a little smaller than the saddle shape usually. Some horses can really react to the saddle blanket once newly clipped as the hair is not lying flat. You could also do the shape of the saddle blanket.

TC I am out of the loop as well. A baby?

Sugar Good luck vibes. That sounds promising.

At the Festival of Dressage we went to a couple of weeks ago, Gareth said there is a day that he takes the horses out with no pressure. Actually he didn't, they have riders that do that for them.

So I did that last week. I let him choose the path and the speed. I was on a loose rein. I didn't ride in the arena on our return.

I normally take him out before riding in the arena now. On a long rein I walk, go down and up, walk, trot, canter, trot walk and canter to the metal fence. Go down and canter up a steep hill which he does not canter the whole way up, then turn left canter and when I go past a post I say quick and do a faster canter to a post at the end of that bit of trail. I walk back a bit, then pick up the reins to notch 2 and trot and then canter back to the steep hill and a loose rein walk down that, notch 2 trot and canter back to the metal fence and around it and back to where it is going down. Then walk down and up and I have trotted and canter back to the gate and lead down the drive way and then take his hoof boots off, swap to 2 dressage whips, walk up to the arena and mount. I then figure he is warm and get annoyed though trying to stay patient when he says he is not warm enough to work. My instructor has said 3 steps of slow then 3 steps of quick and that he MUST go forward in the 3 quick to the best of his ability. He needs to be forward quicker.

This has not been working and it it has been a few months now. I get the slowing and ears back. I can get the kicking out. This slowing and ears back does not happen when hubby is in the arena. with the lunge whip. Which makes you think it is mental.

So this week with the no pressure ride. He chooses again to turn to the right before the steep hill. He then canters quite fast up a little hill. This is much faster than on my route. Then we walk and we do a bit of trot and he was being silly and shying so I abandoned the no pressure ride and picked up notch 2 and we trotted and cantered around on the flat on the trails. I am feeling so much stronger. I am able to sit up and pick him up.

When we arrived back at the steep hill, I decided to take him up that and he cantered the whole way up that hill and when we got to the place that I usually say quick I didn't say a thing and he went into a hand gallop.

Back at the arena I had the most lovely ride. He was forward he was up, Counter canter was magical and I just had to look. So that makes me think it is physical.

So at the lesson I lunged him first which we have not been doing. I let him warm up slower. He did not do any ears back and no kicking out. My instructor was not happy though as he said that by the time he is warm he has done enough work and although I am stronger, I had already told him I am not fitter, so by the time we are ready to work we only did 10 minutes and we are both spent. He is hot with foam between his legs and I am starting to flag.

I told him I am happy with that. Quality over quantity and in the heat of summer I might only get 2 minutes of work and in winter we might get half an hour.

But I will compromise and not lunge him next lesson and just get on and try and warm him up 'nicely' and see if we can get any better than that.

I dropped in at the Chiropractor on the way back. He was out in his poll and his jaw and his back. I really know that I have to move him from being out with Sim. Sim is such a bully sigh, but they and hubby seem happy with the situation. I might move Stars down into the paddock below the house. I can put water down there and just move him in there for a few hours a day. I am doing that now to separate them for feeding as Stars is getting now. Sim then acts like he has been separated for weeks when he comes back out. Sigh. Horses who would want one?

He also was tight in his hamstring and I am to put liniment on that. That will cause him to not want to step back and not want to go downhill.

2 things I have been experiencing with him not wanting to back with the saddle on before he walks forward to stop him jumping and bucking and with going down on the trail and if I give him a tap with the whip and say walk faster he just stops and says, "Leave me alone. I am doing what you want."

He has also been shaking his head when I take the bridle off.

So hopefully he is happier now.
                                  It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• Technicolor - You guys look AWESOME! Way to stick with it all month long, I'm super impressed!!

Checked out one barn yesterday and wasn't all that excited about it....it's definitely my plan B for now. Going to check out another this weekend that I'm thinking will be exactly what I'm looking for. I've seen the trainer at several shows and have always been impressed with her coaching and her riders so I'm excited to meet with her!

Had a fabulous ride today, although I wasn't sure how it would go when I was tacking up. They didn't get turned out AGAIN today (no clue why, they went out yesterday and we had no rain?!) and he was dancing in the crossties and generally being rude so I half expected him to be an ass during our ride - although I really can't blame him.

Instead, he used his energy for good rather than evil and we had a super productive day of flatwork. Being trainer-less the past couple of months has really allowed me to focus on our flatwork and fill in what I've felt like were some holes we've both had....it's really fun to see it all starting to come together now!

Comment

• TC - Congrats on the new little one! Little is ok as long as they're eating and gaining!

PF - How awful and sad. My heart goes out to her family. Scary, scary stuff.

Tech - What a great course! You two look fab. I'm just wishing I can make it around the arena these days (with stirrups), nevermind jumping.

You hate that, dont you? Do you like oysters? You have to acquire a taste for oysters and the deep distance.
                                      -- George H. Morris on learning to love the deep distance

Comment

• Tech- what a lovely ride, very smooth and flowing. I do love your horse's expression. I forgot his name.

Sugar- I'm glad your ride went well, despite the crosstie antics. Pre-ride behaviors always make me nervous. Jingles for the new barn to be the right fit!

FDF- you will get back to where you were- I believe in you

Comment

• MrsF - I missed your last post. I can only imagine how difficult mentally that first ride back was for you, but I'm so happy that you got on and did it! How do you feel after that ride? I can't remember which re-rider used to talk about the "piggy bank" but she would say that for each good ride where nothing bad happened, you put a coin in a piggy bank. In time, you begin to realize that the good rides are plentiful, whereas the bad rides are really quite rare. It's so normal for your mind to dwell on the what-ifs and worry about falling off or getting hurt, but it reality those rides are the exception, not the norm. Big hugs to you, stay with what you're comfortable with and don't feel like you have to push yourself.

Lucky - Oh, I know! Usually when he has that look in his eye when I'm tacking up, it means he's going to be naughty the whole ride, so I was pleasantly surprised that he was so good. I think I'm also realizing after having him for 7 years that his naughty is totally rideable so maybe I just don't take his nonsense anymore and instead make him focus on me?

Alright, I'm in need of a little re-rider support right now. I'm kind of freaking out about meeting with this trainer this weekend. I'm feeling underqualified to be at her barn on my off-breed, non-fancy horse and don't feel like my riding is good enough to be there. She has mostly juniors doing the Big Eq on their very nice horses and I'm honestly feeling a bit intimidated.

My saving grace is that I'll be shopping in the next couple of months for a fancy hunter, and that's when I plan to move Cash back home and semi-retire him, but in the meantime I'm worried. But, that's the same reason I want to start riding with her now. I want her to get to know me and my strengths and weaknesses so that she can find me the perfect horse. I have a cute, honest horse who holds his own at the rated shows but is nothing compared to the horses in her barn. Talk me off the ledge please before I wimp out...

Comment

Working...
                                          X