Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar- no bridle advice here, however I do have a question about the workout DVDs you mentioned. Which ones do you have? I'm thinking I need more in my workout arsenal and I do have tight hip flexors.

Comment

• Originally posted by luckymaverick View Post
      Sugar- no bridle advice here, however I do have a question about the workout DVDs you mentioned. Which ones do you have? I'm thinking I need more in my workout arsenal and I do have tight hip flexors.
      I have the original 3 disc workout (the $59.99 one), it has 6 workouts, which for me is plenty....no way am I working out 7 days a week

Comment

• Sugar - My current show bridle is a Pessoa (ret. $289) which I love. I also really like Nunn Finer bridles, which has a range of price points between $150-400.

Comment

• Sugar For durability, I think the Hadfield's bridles are really made to last. You can sometimes find them on ebay or on premier tack outlet. I would go better quality second hand if possible.

Comment

• Sugar - I've got Beval bridles that are 15 yrs old. Started as show bridles and now schooling bridles. Although, I think people might say Beval's quality has slipped a bit in recent years. Show bridles are all Hadfield! All my leather goods are from them.

Comment

• Sugar- If I may ask, are the DVD workouts hard to do? I'm thinking about getting them for Christmas.

Comment

• Hi, everyone. Sorry I've been MIA lately. I've been hanging out on the political board that is a spin-off of CoTH after the mods closed down the political discussion here. I was following the mid-terms very intently, and the new board gave me a chance to discuss what has been happening. I don't want to discuss politics on the re-rider thread; I'm just telling you where I've been spending my online time. The Red Sox provided a welcome distraction from my political anxiety by winning the World Series.

Anyway, Sky has been fine. I've been hacking her, and she is more and more back to her old self. Still haven't jumped her--am waiting for the go-ahead from the farrier.

I do have some very sad news. Some of you may remember Mira, a horse I rode a lot in the past and whom I am very fond of. I found out yesterday that she has EPM. It came on suddenly several days ago. She does not seem to be in any pain, but she has lost most of her control of her hind end, and it is very sad to watch her. Her trademark has always been galloping across the mares' field to rejoin her friends after being fed. Trainer had me watch this yesterday: she let Mira out of the paddock into the field, and she tried to do her usual gallop--it was horrible. I thought she was going to go head over heels. It wrung my heart. Apparently the vet had just been there before I arrived and made the diagnosis. Trainer talked to me a long time about her options. There are some drug treatments, both very expensive. I told trainer that I loved Mira, but that I understood the bind trainer was in. Mira is old and has never been that useful as a school horse as she is a difficult ride. I told her Mira has had a good life. She told me she would make a decision soon, but I think I already know what she is going to decide. I think she kind of wanted my permission to put Mira down. She told me if she does, it will be Wednesday when vet is coming back anyway.

So today I will say goodbye to her. Am posting a couple of pictures of her in happier times.
                Attached Files
                I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• ((((Hugs)))) Dewey. Sometimes, even with treatment, they don't come right again. Sounds like the hard decision, might be the best one for Mira. I'm really, really sorry. What a lovely mare.

Comment

• Thank you for the bridle advice Techni, Greys, Lost I plan on doing some shopping later today, I'll let you know what I end up buying!

Lucky - I don't find them particularly difficult but they are very effective. She gives a modified version of most of the exercises that are easier - perfect for when you are just starting out. You can do most moves without weights, and add the weights as your fitness improves.

Dewey - So sorry to hear the news about Mira, I know you two got along well. Never an easy decision, hugs to both you and your trainer.

Poor Cash has been in for the past week now because it's been too wet for turnout. I've been out daily to handwalk and ride him just to get him out for a bit. He's being incredibly good for being cooped up so long, but he is definitely stiff.

Goose, on the other hand, is on 24/7 pasture turnout and couldn't be happier. Too bad Cash wouldn't be happy with that arrangement, he would be running the fence line to come inside.

I've emailed, called, texted, and private messaged the trainer I was wanting to talk to with zero response . I called my old trainer and she even texted her for me asking her to get in touch and still nothing. I'm feeling very frustrated and stuck at the moment. None of the other barns in the area seem like that great of a fit so I don't know what to do.

I don't want to keep calling, I feel like she either doesn't want my business, or if her communication is that poor that's kind of a red flag IMO. Ugh. Sorry to be a downer! Hope all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving

Comment

• Dewey, so sorry to hear about Mira. I have a soft spot for her since she reminds me so much of my old mare, Dixie. Hugs to all involved. Very sad.

Glad Sky is doing well.

Sugar, I don't usually buy new bridles since it's pretty easy to find quality used bridles, like lost mentioned. I do have some nice older dressage bridles that I really like. I have Passier and Schockemohle that are very nice. Funny, I don't have any to-die for h/j bridles. Hmm. I did really like my Stubben, but it finally had one piece break, in the noseband. But the leather was really nice. Just old.

I hate that the trainer is not calling you. To me, it would definitely be a red flag. Those types of folks often are hard to pin down for lessons, and it just sometimes shows the character of the person. I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I'm glad Goose is happy, though!

I don't really have much horsey news to tell. Horses haven't been worked all week. I hate winter. And when I finally had a few nice days over the weekend, I had so much I had to do around the farm, (weeding, etc.) that I didn't have the time or energy to ride. I may just say all horses are on vacation till spring. I haven't said it yet, but I might!

My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• Dewey - Sorry to hear the news about Mira. I don't know much about EPM, but a friend's horse was diagnosed earlier this year and has been responding positively to the medication (sounds like they caught it earlier though).
                        And I agree, please no politics here!!

Sugar - That is frustrating (especially since it might be Cash's last season, right?) I remember going through the same when I was looking for a boarding stable. But at least you can weed out the unresponsive people now, because it would probably be an ongoing problem.
                        I don't have experience with higher-end bridles. The most expensive one I've gotten was a Wellfleet (one of Smartpak's in house brands), and I was not very impressed. I use my Bobby's for both schooling and showing.

Paradox - We're supposed to get our first rains tomorrow :/ We can use it, but I'm not looking forward to muddy pastures and the outdoor arena being closed.

Not much horsey news from me either. We've been taking it easy, but I've been trying to focus on more prompt responses - up and down transitions, and moving off the leg for leg yielding, or turning on either the forehand or haunches.
                        http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Thanks, everyone. I just got back from the barn and am still a bit teary. After I rode I went out to the pasture and gave Mira a bunch of treats, hugs, and kisses. Told her what a good girl she was and thanked her for all the great rides. She is such a sweetie.

Vet said that the older ones who have a sudden severe onset like this tend not to do well. I think it's the right decision.

Thanks, everyone.
                          I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Dewey- big hugs and jingles from me as well! I'm glad you got to say goodbye, and those pictures were lovely. I forgot how much fun you had with her.

I won't get to ride the next two weekends, so I had a lesson today instead. It was the best ride I've had on Pony in weeks! She was moving out well, no fighting with each other, we even cantered a lot both directions, full laps, turns and all. Fab does this thing where she has me go collected trot, no discussion, then tells me the steps for asking for the canter and off we go. I do so much better when not given a choice! Pony and I hit the Fun Button today- I had thought it was broken

On a funny note, I got to watch her go with one of the other girls who she's teaching to canter. Cantering is Pony's favorite thing, besides jumping. Pony kept giving me the side eye, as if to say "hey Kid, you worked me, gave me the good snacks, that means I'm done. What the heck?" Only I imagined Pony saying a different word than heck, based on the amount of times she side-eyed me.

I got to see the newest pony, who looks just like Benny in the face, almost identical blazes. Her name's Lucy and she's cute, however will take some work for her to adjust to being in a program. Apparently she's one of the rare "dog-pony" types, aka, owners treated her more like Lassie than Justified. She has very little ground manners or understanding of personal space, hates being caught but at least went around on the lunge under saddle (sans rider) without showing out.

Comment

• Just wanted to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving! DH and I are leaving on our fist vacation in about 12 years on Thursday... driving to Florida. Very excited to see my sister and my dad. BUT, the hard thing will be not worrying about our horses, pony, dogs and cats over those 10 days. In the 16+ years we've been on our farm , I've never been away this long. All the preparations and stuff in anticipation of our leaving has interrupted my re-riding plans. But no excuses when I get home!!!

Anyway, have an awesome Thanksgiving everyone and I'll catch up when we get home.
                              ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving to all the re-riders! I'm very thankful to have all of you in my corner/in my tribe.

Safe traveling jingles to anyone who needs them.

Comment

• Dewey - my thoughts are with you as you say goodbye to Mira. I've had several experiences with EPM, both good and bad. Not a nice disease. I'm sure Mira knows how loved she is by you.

Lucky - yay you! Great lesson report. Maybe the prospect of not riding for a while helped you get the most out of the lesson. I want to meet Pony, such a personality!

Sugar - how annoying! What does it take to return an email or text? Heck, you can do it in the middle of the night. I tend to return emails after 10:00 while I'm watching tv (usually with a dog on my lap). But, have to agree with others, you might be better off not getting fully involved.

I'm definitely in "riding optional" mode and count down to FL! I went to ride today knowing that G was finally body clipped over the weekend and trainer had ridden him yesterday. Was even prepared for the chill - wore 3 layers! But, he spooked before I even got on (we were in the indoor, I think something caught his eye out the end door). So, I walked him a bit to take a look around, went to get on and he spooked again. Just a little one, he didn't get away from me. Someone driving on the gravel drive I think. So, I walked a little more knowing I was now not so sure about getting on. Then one more spook which got me wondering why, he hadn't been so spooky in there since we first moved in. Turns out our part time groom had forgotten his ear plugs. Really makes a difference with him. Partly my fault, I usually glance to make sure he has them, especially in the indoor. I'll probably skip tomorrow, going to be even chillier! We're heading to VA to spend Thanksgiving with DH's sister and family. She's a volunteer puppy raiser for an assistance dog program, I think she has two pups at the moment (in addition to their other 5 dogs!) Fun!

I wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving! I'm grateful to be a part of this special group!

Comment

• Dewey, that's a tough and expensive disease to deal with and your trainer is probably making the best decision she can. Those are lovely pictures of you with her. I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye but glad that you had the chance to do it. (((hugs)))

A happy and safe Thanksgiving to all the re-riders!

Comment

• Hi all! Been MIA for a bit. Been reading some, and even pulled out the laptop to start catching up, but kept getting inturrupted and was so far behind, I gave up. Just jumping back in.

??????PF, internet (((hugs))). So sorry to read about Leo

Winnie B hurt herself on a trail ride. She'd been really forward and not paying much attention all afternoon. Generally enjoys hacking, so I thought the trail might settle her down. Nope. Plunged through the woods like a wild thing. Whacked a hind cannon bone on something (I didn't notice when it happened, as she was tripping her way along the whole time). Leg blew up the next day and got her a month off. Just getting back to riding her again.

And it's fully winter here now. But we have a lot to work on in the arena, so it could be worse. Attaching pics. First from right after her arrival, before our first and only lesson with my trainer. Second is recent, after taking that one lesson and then about 2 months of active work on what we learned.

Leaving tomorrow to visit family in Oklahoma. I get to meet two of my sister's horses who I've never met before. Excited about her OTTB gelding!

We're going to start treating Win for ulcers. Her attitude and physical sensitivity around her belly and armpits have ramped up, and there doesn't seem to be much risk of treating without scoping, so trying to keep costs down. Otherwise she's excellent. Adjusting to winter, riding well, seems to actually like coming into her stall at night. Going to try her barefoot the next time the farrier comes out. Shoes trap more ice and snow, plus I ride less frequently now. Hoping she'll do well barefoot, as every penny saved counts. Hubby bought a second plane before selling his first one. It was his dream plane for a great price, and he's been so amazing with this horse stuff (we rarely eat before 8 or 9pm now), that I couldn't say no. But means we're BROKE! Of course, the furnace died a couple of days after he bought the plane. Really sexy way to spend another 10k.

Hope all are well! Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

• Dewey Oh man. All the love and condolences. Having put down one who lost a lot of neurological function, I can tell you it doesn't matter that it's the right choice, it is still so hard. I'm glad you got to say goodbye, that helped me a little but it was still so hard. I really hope your poor trainer finds some peace with the decision. Honestly for me, it was remembering the horse is an animal of prey and not being able to react quickly must be very scary for them. Sending you tons of hugs.

Sugar I know this isn't in the consensus, but I would keep trying with the trainer. Yes, it's not a good sign. But this is the time I think it makes sense to extend people grace. Imagine she was having to put a horse down like Mira, or had some problem in the family. I would keep trying just a little longer before abandoning and finding someone else. I'm sorry for poor Cash, I bet he's over it.

Lucky So glad you had a super lesson and that the cantering is just getting braver and bolder every time you go. that's gotta feel good. Do you think you'll ride the new horse? Or maybe work on improving ground manners?

4leaf Excited for you to get a bit away. I'm sure you've organized everything so perfectly, it will be a breeze while you're gone. Try to enjoy as much as you can and recharge for the riding when you get back.

Cupid you are inspiring me to focus on getting crisper transitions, that's a pretty ideal exercise without stirrups too! Still feeling good?

Lost I do not blame you one bit for hard passing on some spooky riding. Yeah sure, there was a reason, but I think you're playing the long game here. Sandro is also super spooky without ear plugs.

PF I think horses were happier when they got the winter off. Maybe that's my imagination but I think it's great for them to have some time to reset. LIfe's too short to ride when you really and truly do not want to!

Meg I know this is not what you want to hear, but I would strongly recommend you scope before treating for ulcers. Treating is not cheap and if it doesn't work, you won't know if it helped a little or didn't. More importantly, you won't know if you have squamous ulcers or pyloric. Pyloric is harder to treat and gastroguard really won't do much for it. But it's really important to have some kind of baseline before you start treating. I say this as someone who had to deal with ulcers for a full 7 months!

Not much from me. We are gradually bringing down Sandro's workload before he goes on vacation December 5th for a couple weeks. I think he will be so excited to get some pasture time again.

I'll be in Paris next week with the baby in tow, so, you know, if you have a moment, pray for me . Next Friday, I'll leave Brian and Charlie for an afternoon and evening and go once more to the Salon De Cheval and the Longines Masters. Actually, scratch that, pray for both of them, they'll need it more.

Comment

• Lost- yes, Pony is a big personality in a large pony body. She even sulked after my lesson- literally stuck her head in the corner where the feed bin is, no eye contact- until Fab and I gave her cuddles and cookies. Needless to say we are two well-trained "hoo-mans".Having never clipped a horse, does the actual full clip make them more spooky or reactive, since there's no barrier of extra hair to buffer things?

greys- prayers and jingles for your boys- have a wonderful time in Paris, can't wait to hear the report. Thanks for the kind words- Fab and Pony make me brave. Fab has just the right program for me- no thinking just doing, when it comes to the braver things like cantering. I would love to ride Lucy, and teach her ground manners. Never done that before. I did install ground work/lateral work on Pony. Lucy is definitely an adventure I can learn loads from. She gave me the once over from the field when I came up the driveway.

I would love traveling jingles as well- we're going 11 hours to spend time with DH's family in PA. Me, DH, the two dogs. After hour 9, we're all ready to get there.

Comment

Working...
                                          X