Sport Horse Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

97 Spring Lane (1)

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding my anti-fire jingles!!
    My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• I checked on Greys and she and Sandro is safe, it's super bad air quality here and our trainer has advised all of us to handwalk or tack walk only

one iconic trail race (double dip sea) was canceled (dub?!) and a friend was bragging how despite it being cancelled she still ran it . It is not the time to show odd how good you are, it is just STUPID.

Comment

• Faye - thanks for checking on Greys and checking in. Thinking about all our CA re-riders. You guys have had a tough year! {{hugs to all }}

Comment

• Faye- stay safe, I appreciate you checking on Greys as well.

So the boot saga continues... it's worse than swimsuit shopping!! I didn't know what I didn't know that last time I bought a pair. The consignment place was a bust, apparently each brand is built with a certain physical ideal in mind, and while Ariat paddocks fit everyone, their tall boots do not The nice girls at the Dover store helped me out- took my measurements (which apparently I was doing wrong in the calf) and we tried different styles and whatnot. Ariats are not friendly to a wider ankle (or wide anything else). They're going to get a pair of Tredstep Donatello II for me to try- so not in my budget but man the ones they had for me to look at in the junior size were so pretty and way fancier than anything I've ever had. I also found out that I need to ditch my hangups about zips vs pull-ons. Pull-ons are no longer my friend and zips and I should be BFFs.

Since I'll only wear them maybe 2-3x in a year, the zips should last a super long time, but by that logic, it's hard to justify spending bigger bucks on a pair.

One funny thing at the consignment place- the guy helping me was a Western rider and when we were puzzling over Ariat fit, he kindly suggested I not wear socks. If only it was that easy. Plus, I have to cuff all my breeches at the ankle, which makes pull-ons so not fun to try on- I got stuck in a few pairs and it was quite hilarious getting them off, not to mention a major cardio workout.

Comment

• Another note about Dover stores- you guys may know this but I did not- just b/c they size/fit you and order things to try, you have no obligation to actually buy them there- they pretty much expect you to shop around. quite refreshing really.

Comment

• Lucky...sorry about your boot troubles. I really, though, say the Tredsteps are not the way to go. I don't want you to be disappointed. Check out the thread about "products you are disappointed in". SEVERAL folks talk about hating their Tredsteps. Including me. Maybe start a post asking for suggestions. Maybe Mountain Horse, or Ovation...something. Good luck!

Comment

• Lucky...sorry about your boot troubles. I really, though, say the Tredsteps are not the way to go. I don't want you to be disappointed. Check out the thread about "products you are disappointed in". SEVERAL folks talk about hating their Tredsteps. Including me. Maybe start a post asking for suggestions. Maybe Mountain Horse, or Ovation...something. Good luck!

Comment

• PF- thanks for the info. hopefully I can find some good ones, I'm just leery of note being able to try them on before buying them, with other brands.

Comment

• add me to the I hate treadstep camp. DIGS into my achilles even after 2 years!

Comment

• I am also wide in the calf. Are we talking about rubber boots as well? I ended up inheriting my long boots from my step father. So the bottom of the boot is bigger than I need. So I don't walk in them much. I just ride in them at lessons or if competing. At home I ride in my normal shoes and I have the plastic cage on the front of the stirrup so as I am safe to ride in any footwear or in bare feet. Not that I would have bare feet around horses. But as a kid we used to ride in 'chocolate stirrups' in bare feet. We also did not wear shoes to school. How times have changed!
                      It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• So frustrated. I had a lesson Saturday on my friend's horse I usually ride. And she spooked. And I took a tumble. I am so sore, but more freaked out. I hardly want to get on again. I've been in tears. How can I get brave enough to get on again? I've never been like this before.
                        You hate that, dont you? Do you like oysters? You have to acquire a taste for oysters and the deep distance.
                        -- George H. Morris on learning to love the deep distance

Comment

• Sorry to hear about your tumble MrsFitzDarcy&Feliks . You've had a rough go of it lately. A nice hot bath in Epsom salts + bubblebath is what I used to do for rough and tumble injuries. But although your body will feel better, that won't probably do much for the mental component though.

I think getting back on the horse ASAP is best to cure scares after a fall or crash - even if its just to have someone hand walk you around for 5 minutes or being on a lunge line for a feeling of security. Have someone there to support you - SO, child, friend - someone for moral support, a cheerleader of sorts. For me its easier to chin up when someone is there supporting me and cheering me on.

I wish you luck and send you a {{{hug}}} as well.
                          ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

• suzie- I was speaking of leather type boots, not the rubber muck-abouts.

FDF- sorry to hear about your unplanned dismount! Often times, emotions are the body's way of responding to stress or trauma, even way after the fact. Emotional lability (crying or even laughing at the drop of a hat) is common with life stressors, but especially after cancer treatments or surgeries. I've cared for many, many patients who have had or do have cancer, and it's one of the most common after effects of the treatments. I would echo 4Leaf- even if it's just walking, getting back on is a big mental hurdle to cross sooner rather than later. Perhaps just going to the barn and being around the horses without a set agenda would help also. If you're anything like me, the less time you have to think about it, the better. The longer you wait, the worse the mental build-up gets (ask me how I know)

Comment

• Lucky Jingles for your friend with the preemie. My best friend had her baby at 26 weeks and she is now a year old and doing absolutely amazing. But it was completely harrowing for the first three months in the NICU.

Lost for no stirrups, I've heard it depends on the rider. Despite having long legs, I ride pretty short, so for me, I'm supposed to stretch my leg down more to help stretch the ligaments and muscles in my hips and pelvis than work on strength. For those lucky enough to be soft and supple, Ithink you're supposed to focus on duplicating the position of your leg with an iron. That's just what I've been taught anyway!

Sugar I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and this new trainer. Bummer about the turnout in the rain, I think a sacrifice lot would make a lot of sense in this situation. Hoping you're just feeling some stiffness from lack of turnout and no major injury. For sure a little rest sounds like it's coming his way.

technicolor, you are my NSN hero!!! Sounds like very productive lessons and a nice break for the horses.

MrsF I think goals are great as long as there is room for grace if they prove too ambitious. I think rebuilding your confidence just takes time and more good experiences than bad. I got a new horse and was bucked off three times in a row and that was just devastating to my confidence. But it doesn't have to be a permanent fear. You just need to be willing to take the time. Start with ground work until that gives you zero anxiety and then get on and immediately get off and call it a day. Maybe the next day, you walk a short spell and do that a few times until it's boring. Then you trot. And so on and so forth.

PF I agree with Lost that working on a circle with downwards transitions can be really helpful for the canter. Just be careful not to do too much, he's a big guy and balance is probably still developing.

WIP I record my jump schools with a soloshot camera. It is super super helpful to see to see the sublte things your body does that your brain doesn't really record. But good on you for attacking NS with gusto. Really impressive.

Thanks everyone for checking in. Sandro shipped to Thermal last Tuesday and didn't come home until last night, so we both missed the worst of the smoke and fire.

Sadly, my friend's home in Malibu burned down. I used to board with her when I was doing the hunters with Bravo, Conrad and Sandro. Her barn is damaged but can be repaired and the recording studio of her husband is ok, but their house is a heap of ashes. It's just devastating.

Last night when I met the hauler to walk Sandro to his stall after the show, I realized our private barn had taken on quite a few guests. We normally have 6 horses and a mini and last night we had 15 horses total, all were horses displaced by the fires. Some are sharing a stall and a group of them is in our turnout. They are all very anxious and worried. Some of them have their owners numbers written in sharpie on their hind quarters. I'm so glad my barn's owners have taken them in, but it is heartbreaking to see them all.

In brighter news, we had a great show at Thermal. We showed the high adults all three days. The first day I had a rail at jump 1, just didn't give him enough room and was too focused on getting down the first line. Day 2 I was still a little too handsy so we added in two bending lines, but clear and 4th out of 25 I think?

Last day was the classic and we were double clean. We had a line set on 5 and a half strides and Sandro just marched up in 5 no big deal. I was really pleased with his confidence overall. There were 56 in the class I think and over 20 in the jump off. Our footspeed just wasn't fast enough in the corners, so we placed out of the ribbons, but he felt amazing, despite huge winds and jumps blowing down. What a change from last year. Here is our classic and jump off round:

https://vimeo.com/300372248

https://vimeo.com/300399138

Now he gets a nice break this winter, and we can focus on ride-ability and getting his feet moving more quickly in the turns.

Comment

• Greys- lovely rounds, you guys are such a fun pair to watch! I appreciate the jingles for my friend- she needs them now more than ever- her son didn't make it and his services were this past Saturday.

Comment

• Originally posted by luckymaverick View Post
                                  Greys- lovely rounds, you guys are such a fun pair to watch! I appreciate the jingles for my friend- she needs them now more than ever- her son didn't make it and his services were this past Saturday.
                                  I'm so sorry to hear this. I had two preemies- a 33-weeker and a 26-weeker. It was touch and go for some time with Malcolm, the 26-weeker. All my best to your friend.
                                  You hate that, dont you? Do you like oysters? You have to acquire a taste for oysters and the deep distance.
                                  -- George H. Morris on learning to love the deep distance

Comment

• FDF- thanks. I was a preemie as well, 26 weeks. I had quite a few complications but am fine now

Comment

• greys, those rounds were wonderful. Your turns are great and your angles over fences in the jump off are very impressive. And just think...you are on a young horse, and not too long ago you were focused only on hunters. You will be in the ribbons in that same company in the future.

I love to hear about your current barn taking in other horses. That's great. I hope they all will have safe homes to return to soon.

Mrs.F, I'm sorry for your fall. I understand the trepidation with getting on and riding again. It's natural. And you have had issues to deal with that most don't. Be kind to yourself. I would recommend finding and VERY steady-Eddie type of horse that will not spook (no horse is 100 percent, but some are VERY close). I would like to see you on a horse like that so that you CAN relax and concentrate on just riding. I like greys advice, take it slowly. As the saying goes, "make haste slowly". Most of us on this thread have been through this type of confidence setback. You can come back from this. Put shows and jumping and even cantering out of your mind for the time being.

Comment

• Please know that I am thinking of you all. The reports coming from the California Fires is absolutely devastating. I pray that you are all alive and well and I am not religious.

Lucky. I am so sorry to hear.

Mrs F. I did not have a fall and it took 6 months on a school horse, that does not shy no matter what happens, at mainly the walk before getting up to trot before I would say I was back riding again.

Greys I am at Mum's I will look at the video when I get home but it sounds wonderful and I can already picture it in my head.

PF for downward transitions from canter to trot, until he has the strength, don't micro manage him. Instead ask for a 10 metre trot circle and allow him to adjust his stride in the trot back to one of being in control himself. You will find this will help immensely and will help strengthen him.

Ask for the 10 metre if it is bigger than that it doesn't matter. If he needs more than one circle to start with it doesn't matter. Eventually he will be able to do it without the circle.

Comment

• Lucky as you were talking about calves I presumed you were talking about riding boots.

When I worked with horses sneakers lasted a week. I kid you not. Leather short boots I found useless. With the dew in the morning it is not long before they have holes in them. I bought the rubber small boots and yes it took weeks for my feet to get used to them, but they would last a year. My feet were then used to them and I could go to the next small rubber riding boot without having to wear it in.

Now I have bought steel cap shoes for work and I know you are not supposed to have steel caps around horses, but I do. They are bloodstone and I can wear them for 8 hours walking around Coles a day. I also wear them when riding at home. I have just replaced the insoles for the 2nd time. They are going into their 3rd year and they have no holes in them at all. These are really worn every day almost.

Of course with the small riding boot or shoe you could always use half chaps.

The rubber riding boot that I received from my step dad can be ridden in twice a week or once a month, depending on how often I get to lessons. I sat down the other day and sewed the linings back in. The insoles are really gone. The bottom of the linings is now not there. I suppose I could put insoles in them and probably should As I said I don't walk in them, I just ride in them and I need thick socks with them if I don't want to get any pain. I think you have convinced me that I should put insoles in them!!!!

In one lesson my instructor asked me if I had new long boots. I replied no. I just cleaned them for the Dressage Day on the weekend!

I don't know how old they are but he died at least 6 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                          X