Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

97 Spring Lane (1)

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4Leaf--he is seriously adorable!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Cupid- what a fun class, and the location was rather stunning as well. Great job, I could really see your partnership- he kept checking in and happily did whatever you pointed him at

Had a few small victories at my lesson today. Fab forgot she was going to split up me and G and worked us together again today. After the first trot set that wasn't a trot set, I asked for a whip and kept it for all but the last 10 minutes of the lesson. No meltdowns for me or Pony- just one attitude adjustment. And, when G would ride close to us, Pony didn't even flick an ear. I cared more than she did. No ugly faces or anything! Plus I didn't have to stop to get my stirrup back at the trot- wasn't exactly eq pretty but it worked. Pony knew she did well and dropped her head for some serious snuggles after the ride.

Comment

• TC, what a great video! You guys did a great job. And what a good boy Cupid is! You two sure do some fun things. You're very well-rounded in your activities. I love that.

The RRP Competitive Trail class is similar. You would probably enjoy that. This year's winner was the other MMSC (where we got TBG) graduate that was entered. The horse was just adopted when I went to try horses last year. Well, he WON the competitive trail division. Very nice horse. You can see some pics and clips of his "round" here. https://www.facebook.com/pg/Helges-H...4276717/posts/

RRP Makeover was fun. I love to see all the hard work these riders do with horses that have been off the track for a very short time. When I was going through the stabling area to look at all the horses, I noticed a very cute gray. So I went up and had to pet him. His owner/breeder was there and started talking to us. She was super nice. But she told me his story. He had a bit of a rough start. He had an injury, then had colic surgery, then another injury and has something like 5 screws in him. Well, he came in third place in the Show Hunter division out of maybe 150 or so horses. It was a big division. So, what a good boy! So, anyway, there were a lot of nice horses and nice people. I notice at this show that folks are happy to talk to you and show off their ponies. I don't get that at a lot of other types of shows I go to. It's refreshing.
        My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• PF: You are making me want to go to the RRP show, I love an environment where people are friendly rather than suspicious and guarded when you walk the isles. I'm glad you're starting to heal and got a ride in. Were you sore in the days following? How are you feeling about riding again?

Lucky: Great job in your lesson, well done having the whip and managing through some old demons. Brick by brick right. I love when the pony snuggles are a direct response of a great ride. It's like you get to revel in it together. Well done.

Dewey: That is a REAL bummer about Sky. I'm sad you won't be able to get to do the derby, you guys were clearly on a real role. I'm pretty sure you're going to crush that mini medal, exciting to see those rounds!!!

Cupid: Amazing work at your competition, Cupid looks so steady and reliable. Sandro could never in a million years do that Flamingo circle! What a great horse you have there. How are you feeling?

4Leaf Don't mind me swooning over little buddy. I kind of want to steal him for my tiny son, he is to die for!!!

WIP When you say Barn A doesn't focus on your eq, what are they focusing on? Sometimes a trainer really wants to focus on how the horse is going first and then polishes equitation. So glad you're getting to hop over some small jumps, that always makes things exciting!

~~~
          We had to slowly put Sandro back into work and the temperatures dropped last week (I mean, by California standards) so of course, Sandro was really fresh and spooky and convinced the standards in the corner were going to eat him. Saturday, I set a really basic hunter course at probably 2'9-3' and he acted like it was his first time jumping in months, when he hasn't seen a jump in 2 weeks . I hopped over a couple low jumps by myself Sunday and he was less reactive.

I'm a little bit nervous bc our next show is coming up next week. I think if we just do another show where we jump low again, it will probably be good for him. He grows up so much every time we go off campus. But I need to be sure he spends a lot of time outside his stall walking and relaxing to keep the stress down a bit. Or I can skip it and just focus on our last show at Thermal in November. I'm not sure which to do honestly.

Comment

• Greys, good luck as you make your decision. I like the idea of going to the show but not overfacing him while there. As you say, just experiencing the show is good for him at this point. On the other hand, skipping it and waiting for Thermal makes sense, too. Let us know what you decide. (I know you will.)
            I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Greys- I like the brick by brick analogy, it's a good visual. Good luck with whatever you decide- I know you'll do whatever is best for your boy.

PF- glad you had fun at the Makeover. Fab and I were talking about it yesterday- reading all the articles on the Chronicle site, it makes me think I could ride one ( a thoroughbred in general) - provided they were the steady eddie types. Did you see Cozmic One?

Took Lucky dog to the vet this morning- we think she has a slipped disc in her back, since the pain radiates down her right hind. The vet ranged/flexed/extended the whole leg without result but then palpated her spine and she reacted positively. So now we have her good and dosed up- she's essentially on stall rest for a month. No playing ball or going for walks. It was interesting that they use gabapentin, for her nerve pain. I'm more familiar for it's use in people.

Comment

• Another hurricane is on the way!

This one is headed for the Florida panhandle. After it makes landfall (tomorrow?) it will head our way. It may hit Aiken and affect finals--will let you know. It's already overcast here.

Comment

• Dewey, my St.J friend is camping in the panhandle. I texted the other day asking if they were in the path, but she wasn't worried. I hope she's since reconsidered. I hate "bothering" her as she's on vacation and I'm sure her family is bugging her. I might have to bug her one more time. Stay safe, too. And I'm sure the Aiken show would be rescheduled if need be. (maybe Sky will be ready if they do that!).

lucky, YES, I did see Cosmic One. Very nice horse. He wasn't the fanciest jumper of the bunch, but seemed very steady and a good boy. I think he ended up in 3rd or 4th? He was in the top five finale, though, for sure. I like him a lot.

greys, yes, the folks really are friendly. I forgot to mention, when I was again going through the stabling area, I noticed a cow in a stall peeking over. I looked at it from afar, and the guy sitting in a chair outside the stalls said, "Come on over and meet him!" (I call all bovine cows, but this was a male...I'm not up on my bovine vocabulary! haha.) So I asked what event he was in, joking, and the owner said he was part of their freestyle routine. He opened up the stall and let me pet him. He was a very sweet "cow".

DH had a very good lesson on Jazzy today. He was jumping nicely! I can't wait for my lesson. I haven't had one all year. Next time trainer is back from Washington I will get one. Finally. I need to get riding! I will tack up Chico this evening. TBG needs shoes still. He stepped on his quarter clip, so we left him bare for a little to heal up from his ouchie. Hopefully DH can shoe him this week. This is not a great pic, as I took it from the far end of the arena and had to zoom too much, but you get the idea. He's getting there!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-10-09 Jazzy Lesson Oxer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	10244450

Comment

• PF- Jazzy, and DH, are looking quite good together,love the scope on Jazz. Cozmic One seemed like a steady guy no matter what you threw at him, at least from the articles. That's funny about the cow

Dewey- Jingles and be safe.

Comment

• PF, love the pic! Look at those knees on Jazzy! Glad you had a good time at the RRP.

I would not want to be on the panhandle now. The governor is making evacuation mandatory in some areas. Our county is under an emergency, and the University has cancelled classes tomorrow and Thurs. It's pouring right now. As of now the horse show is still on. Will update when I know more.

Comment

• Greys - Yep, Bud is a cutie pie, isn't he? And he knows he's cute too! lol Sorry you're so far away. I think he'd love attention from a child (somebody his size). Regarding the upcoming show, you could go and just school, hang out and take it easy. I've found from time to time that being a spectator at a show can be equally as fun as an exhibitor - plus, no 4AM braiding! lol

Dewey - Sorry Michael is headed your way. I guess the only good news is they aren't currently predicting it to "stall out" inland like Florence did. Wishing you well.

Cupid - that video of you at the horse show looks like so much fun! If I were to ever get back to the point where I showed, that would be the kind of thing I would really enjoy. I'm not familiar with that type of class - I'd love to learn more about it.

PF - I watched some of the videos and read articles from the Thoroughbred Makeover. How fun to have actually been there for the competition. I had to laugh about the "cow". I do the exact same thing - they are all cows, regardless of sex. I know the difference in all the terms heifer, steer, bull, cow, calf, etc. but just saying "cow" is so much easier. My horses, btw, are **terrified** of them! lol

Lucky - there's nothing better than some snuggles with your pony after a job well done, even if my pony is 17.2! Sorry about Lucky's confinement and hope the rest and meds resolve the issue.

I have no news to report. I chickened out this AM to get on and ride (aka walk). Had myself convinced that Murphey's Law would prevail and that I'd come off and no one would know, because my husband was at work.
                        ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

• Hurricane Michael is now category 4. Really scary. Its path after it makes landfall is going to pass right through here.

Comment

• Hunker down, Dewey! Hugs.

Comment

• I just saw the weather update on the news. They are saying its still going to be a hurricane when it hits Georgia?!? Yikes! Wishing you and your pets/horses well.
                              ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

• Stay safe everyone.

Cows as a group are called cattle. One can be called a beast.

bull = stallion and colt

steer = gelding

heifer = filly

cow = mare
                                It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• I haven't been on the COTH boards for a few years, so I hope you'll welcome me back. I'm not a complete re-rider; I've stayed moderately active through the past few years riding friends' horses. In fact, that's what I still do. I would love to be a beginner - advanced beginner teacher (of riding), but there aren't many opportunities here in Tucson, AZ. Meanwhile, I teach English literature at a local high school.

I tried to teach some beginner lessons, but the clientele just wasn't out there, so I'm going back to being an amateur, which I know, takes a year. One of my former clients moved her horse from a private barn to a more public barn with a new trainer we both take lessons from. She has become a good friend, and kindly lets me ride her horses.

I am almost 48 and used to do the adult eq and hunters regularly, but haven't jumped regularly in years. I definitely have more fear now, not so much of regular riding adversity, but worries of the odd, fluke spook or accident. I know there's a paradox there -- the more you worry, the more it is apt to happen, and vice versa.

I did have a fluke fall getting off of a horse a couple of years ago in which I tore up my knee. Consequently, I get most nervous getting on and off.

What do you all do to combat the nerves?

(The picture is of me years ago at Devon, doing the locals.)

You hate that, dont you? Do you like oysters? You have to acquire a taste for oysters and the deep distance.
                                  -- George H. Morris on learning to love the deep distance

Comment

• FDF- forgive the abbreviation, wasn't sure how to type the whole thing. Welcome, welcome! What an awesome pic- I'm a sucker for a kind eye and snappy knees. I get bad show nerves- what helps for me is lots and lots of visualization of the class/course, positive self-talk (remembering to trust my Pony), and of course an adult beverage. I cut mine with diet soda. I underestimated my need for the cocktail at the last show and screwed up the first class. After appropriate consumption (and all the other parts), I was much more relaxed, which equaled rockstar Pony.

Comment

• Welcome MrsFitzDarcy&Feliks ! I'm new to this thread too. Been away from riding and COTH for a while. I've not gotten up the nerve to even get on my horse yet lol, so I understand about nerves (and I never came off my horse, he's sweet as can be and is more like a 17+ hand pony). Anyway, welcome to the group.

Comment

• Originally posted by luckymaverick View Post
                                        FDF- forgive the abbreviation, wasn't sure how to type the whole thing. Welcome, welcome! What an awesome pic- I'm a sucker for a kind eye and snappy knees. I get bad show nerves- what helps for me is lots and lots of visualization of the class/course, positive self-talk (remembering to trust my Pony), and of course an adult beverage. I cut mine with diet soda. I underestimated my need for the cocktail at the last show and screwed up the first class. After appropriate consumption (and all the other parts), I was much more relaxed, which equaled rockstar Pony.
                                        I'll have to slip some Kalua into my Dunkin' Donuts mocha iced coffee before the next lesson ...
                                        You hate that, dont you? Do you like oysters? You have to acquire a taste for oysters and the deep distance.
                                        -- George H. Morris on learning to love the deep distance

Comment

• FDF- sounds like a plan. Can't wait to hear your lesson report- happy riding.

Comment

Working...
                                          X