• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meg, it'll come back! I am guessing you haven't completely forgotten everything you knew. Give yourself some time. Will you be able to take lessons when B gets to you? That would probably help things move along nicely. And I totally understand the CWD taste on a Crosby budget. I like to buy good used tack when I can. Saves a bit of money that way. I'm excited for you.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Okay, just a reminder for anyone that MIGHT be interested in donating any tack/clothing/horse items to my annual Saddle Up for St. Jude fundraiser silent auction. There is still time. This year's event is being held on September 29th. Also, I gladly accept monetary donations in ANY amount. Again, this is for such a wonderful cause, and I thank each of you who have donated in the past and also this year! Thanks, again, all. I started a page if you wish to donate... http://fundraising.stjude.org/site/T...al&fr_id=93275 Hopefully that will work.

¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Meg - for sure it will come back! And I agree with Paradox - buy the best used tack you can afford - you'll save a bundle and it will last you a lifetime. Best prepare your DH (Dear Husband) that barn time usually involves a weird time warp - that "I'll only be gone for an hour" easily becomes a couple or more

Had a quick, uneventful ride in the indoor last night! Wasn't planning on riding, but hopped on and took advantage of having company in the new digs. Didn't do much more than walk in the fabulous new footing - it's deeper than we're used to and I didn't want to over do it.

Comment

• Dewey Oh man, judging. Sometimes it makes sense and other times not so much. Loved the sound of your course though, it must have been super fun to execute. I love the walk on a loose rein test. Glad Sky was so so so good!

Lucky Great great job on the canter work! So smart of fab to know to spring that on you a little!

Faye I'm kind of shocked by that judge's behavior. I have ridden in a lot of flat classes and I've never seen a judge call someone out. Kind of inappropriate. The good news is you were completely fine and safe, you've learned a few lessons and you'll be better for next time. I wouldn't worry about some of your trickier distances, TSH doesn't look too miffed and you are very very comfortably in his safety scope range. Like anything, it really does get easier the more you do it.

As for the bit, you know I think a lot really depends on context. I do think most horses can go in a snaffle at home on the flat. Sometimes there are opportunities to use a different kind of bit to clarify the action you want for a short period of time and with very educated hands. Over fences, I just think it really depends on the horse and the rider. I'm happy to keep Sandro in a rubber full-cheek at home, but with everything going on at the shows, I feel like a slow twist is more appropriate. It is an art for sure.

Meg Welcome to the group. I strongly strongly agree with Tigre and PF, buy the best quality used tack you can afford, you will save so much money that way. Try to be kind and patient with yourself as you get into a groove. It comes back though in fits and starts and we all have moments where our bodies just won't listen!

Tigre I am just so happy for you and your trainer. The place looks absolutely glorious. It even feels like your horse is responding to the lack of drama. So great.

PF I really really enjoyed the video of your trainer riding. It's definitely such a process getting the canter balance right and I hadn't even really considered the extra complexity of riding an OTTB who's taught to respond to the contact so differently. I really admire your patience and cool.

Sandro had a great week last week. The assistant went out to lesson on him in front of the dressage coach and they both got along great. I think the dressage coach gave her confidence in her riding and teaching. More importantly, when the dressage coach rode him the next day, she was thrilled with how little work she had to do just polishing him up a bit and she was also happy with his muscling and weight. So he hasn't slipped back too much, which is a huge relief.

Over the weekend, we did some gymnastics Saturday and basic coursework sunday. He is still suspicious of new jumps but felt generally super confident and taking me to the fences. This week I will probably set some more gymnastics for myself and then set something a little more interesting for my lesson ahead of the clinic next week. I am still a bit more chicken than I was before the baby, but I think that's to be expected. And probably not a bad thing after my hiatus!

Comment

• Bahahahahaha Meg. This is the time that I tell you that I found my saddle at a car boot sale. Okay I admit it hubby found it. It is an old style County before they stuffed the way they make them. It had been in her Mothers house unused for 30 years. He picked it up and I eyed it and said no we have enough saddles. She said something like a hundred dollars. I said what size is it? She did not know. What type of horse was it on? She did not know. Was it a warm blood or a tb? She said TB.

Hubby said will you take $60.00 for it? and she said yes AND it came mounted.

I took it home and put it on Sim at the time and I just melted in to it. OMG it was like you could do sitting trot for hours. That is the saddle that Stars is wearing now.

I need to send it away to be repaired. I really need to get that done. I tried it and the saddle that hubby gave me for my birthday does fit Stars.

..... and that is the same person who has just paid over $100.00 for for 6 x tiger tongue sponges, worth under $4.00 for you, from America as they are unavailable in Australia. So the shipping is $77.00 or something like that. I figure where I save money I am then allowed to spend it on what I really want.

Oh and you can tell him that Poverty is owning a horse and you can always spend time and money on horses. Maybe it will be better not to tell him that!

My advice to you if you have not ridden for a while is not wait until B gets here. Get out and have lessons on other horses. Be ready for her when she gets here.

Tigre I honestly laughed out loud when I read that. Yes I knew what your response would be. I love that S and I have the same name. Again that is something that is soooooo not a red flag about your instructor. Have you told her she has a groupie on the other side of the world?, and what was she doing on a youngster without a helmet?!!!!!!!!!!
            When you are in a position like S whether you want to be or whether you don't you are a role model from whoever is seeing you, you need to think about everything you do and 100% do the right thing. If good and great riders all wear a helmet it will filter down. I think that is the only way to get helmets into the western world, that all the trainers are seen wearing helmets at home.

Lucky I have been taught, teach and am still being taught the absolute opposite. 'Soft hands do not mean fingers.". "It is a sin to give your outside rein."

Your fingers around the reins is what stops the reins slipping through your fingers. The thumb down on top is key. The difference between holding and giving can be as little as squeezing your fist and relaxing it, but the fingers should never let any sand fall between them, if you had a handful of sand instead of the rein. It is your elbows that give and hold and in dressage it is not giving that outside rein that is the secret. It does go longer and shorter depending on whether you are doing long and low or up and working.

In my lesson my homework is to stop compromising I have a compromising relationship with Stars. If I shorten the reins, I then open my fingers, put the reins down and forward. If he goes slow to start with then we go more forward later.

There should be no compromising. Sigh. He has to do what I want. I have to take the 2nd notch and hold it and not let it go. At the moment I am letting him get so low he is in another State. It is like I am sitting in Queensland and his head is in NSW. I am sure that is an exaggeration and we are talking less than 1 degree as I am not really able to see the difference, but if I have the 2nd notch and sit up , look up and use my core I get good. If I look down and give the rein I bit. I get told off!!!!

They had their hooves trimmed yesterday and I rode Stars afterwards. What a difference with that to him being lame for 5 weeks after being done.

I did not wear gloves as they were in the car and I think I must have 3 gloves in the car and only one in the shed. But I concentrated on taking the 2nd notch and not letting it go. I lunged him first so when I said I have to go slow I was able to say nope you are warm, on you go. OMG I have such a different horse to 8 weeks ago when you remember I couldn't get him to go and I was trying so hard that I felt sick.

Well I think compromising has gotten us to here. We are no longer coming to a halt with our ears back, but now I have to stop the compromising. Which is just like changing EVERYTHING. But that is what we do with learning. We learn to change and adapt and that maybe what we have been doing is completely wrong and we have to start from the beginning.

We cantered quite a bit in the lesson and I think I overdid it. I did say to him I am not as fit as I was as I had 2 weeks off with being sick. I remember saying I am not just unfit but I am starting to get sore.

I think I may have pulled something. I am also a bit sore off the horse now. I did get on Stars yesterday as I figured I should find out if something was wrong before going to the lesson on Ben this morning but I was able to ride him okay yesterday.

He was a good boy and talking about sweat like we were. Stars sweats under the muzzle. The first thing I noticed is that he is itchy after we ride. I think because he must sweat under there and I haven't been rinsing it off. After the lesson he even had a speck of foam under there. He is not being ridden with a nose band. I asked my instructor and he said it is either tension or it is relaxation. As far as I can tell and my instructor agreed. He does not do anything with his mouth when I am riding. He has a closed mouth he is not moving it or doing anything with his teeth or anything. He also is not pulling. If it is relaxation I thought you would see it on the other 2 horses as they are not pulling either. I will have to check as maybe I have just not looked.

I don't know maybe it is just him but I did rinse off under his muzzle after our ride.
            It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• suzie- that's what makes horses and riding so wonderful, you have your way, I have mine, and both work well. The way ours are trained, it's not throwing the contact away, just opening the door instead of closing or cracking it, and it's not straight fingers or a literal open hand or firmly closed fist. Just finessing the fingers. I always enjoy reading about the deals you score at sales and whatnot. I would be in the poorhouse if I had access to those. As it is, I have two saddles, one bridle and no horses.

faye- it sounds like TSH worked well without the red ribbon, I was only mentioning it if it would help peope keep a wider bubble around you. It is a nice thing with Pony, when people actually do it.

greys- so glad Sandro is continuing to do well, I know you guys will do great at the clinic. Thanks for your kind words- now when it's time to canter, Fab just remarks "oh, you haven't cantered today", I grumble, then go do it. No stress, happy Pony.

Tiger- what does bit circumference/diameter have to do with anything? I know nothing about that- skinny vs fat and how/why it works. Most horses I've ridden since re-riding have gone in fat things, most of my heyday went in skinnier things, except my hunter who went in an fat eggbutt snaffle.

Comment

• Suzie - that wasn’t a youngster! That’s an older horse S works on a weekly basis - he does upper level work and is a pleasure to watch!!

lucky - thicker bits are considered “kinder”, or at least that’s the general consensus. Of course, if your horse has a small mouth, that might not be an option.

Comment

• Tiger- thanks for the explanation, I've always wondered about that. I can't wait to show Fab the video/pics of your new place, I told her about it, then forgot to show them to her. She loves a good indoor.

Comment

• Generally a fat bit with no twists is known as kinder. It is not kinder if the fat bit is on a pony and not feeling anything which means that a child will pull. With that pony it could be kinder to have a thinner bit.

I asked my instructor about both horses stopping for me when sitting up, but Sim did not stop when hubby sat back. He said it is not just my sitting back. It is my posture, it is my breathing, it is everything. I tell the horses that we have finished and they know it even though I don't have to pull.

Comment

• So true Lucky and you can teach a horse to do anything.

It depends on what you do if it will affect you later as you go up the levels. If you want to go up the levels.

A low key lesson on Ben this morning as I was by myself. I did get one right lead canter. We did a bit of sitting trot. We just worked on Ben carrying himself as he doesn't get a lot of that with taking beginners. He really is such a gentleman.

Comment

• greys, thanks for your kind words. We're working on it. I didn't mention it earlier, but the last ride, TBG went over a mini-course of cross rails! Progress. Having the 6+ months off of jumping probably really cleared his head. I'm hoping so, anyway. We just going to keep going slowly. I'm happy to read that Sandro is doing so well. I think he's as happy as you are with the change.

Tiger, keep enjoying that new, wonderful place. Glad you're getting some nice rides in.

¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• PF I was so happy to read that for you. Look how far you came with Katie. You and TBG will go far. The slow way ends up being the fast way in the end.

Comment

• I am off to Ikea today to buy 10 potties from Ikea. They are the right shape for putting poles in for low cavelletis.

Comment

• PF- what a happy update! I know it's been a slow road, but I'm so tickled for you that TBG is putting the pieces together. I don't have the patience for the retraining/going back to basics- kudos for hanging with him and giving him what he needs to be successful Let me know if you want to come to the Big Show on the 18th, in any capacity.

Comment

• I want in, if new members are being accepted.
                                I’m 35, begged for riding lessons my whole childhood and finally started a little over a year ago. I bought my first horse at Christmas time (the lesson horse I’d been riding for a year) and immediately had a freak accident resulting in a bad injury. We are working hard now getting back to pre-injury strength confidence. There’s a local show in a couple of months that I’d love to do but am very nervous. I also want to start jumping again.
                                My horse is a sweet quarter horse who does everything he’s asked to do (even when he’s asked wrong.) He’s also a comedian, gives great kisses, and is my best friend. Eventually we want to do hunter paces, local shows, and breed shoes. We also want to spend days trail riding, which I have never done
                                Last edited by Alittledownhill; Aug. 10, 2018, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• Welcome Welcome Welcome ALDH. You didn't say whether it was you or your horse that was injured. It sounds like it was you so it good to hear you are getting over it. Of course we need his name and piccies of him. LOL at breeding shoes. I thought we only wear them!!!! hahahahahaha

Comment

• PF, I suggest you go to the Off-Topic forum and look for a thread called "Spin-off of Mom's Silverplate." People are talking about how to sell unwanted horse stuff, and the subject of donation came up.
                                    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Thanks, Dewey! I posted. I appreciate it.

Welcome alittledownhill/ALDH/downhill. (We love abbreviating! You've come to the right place. We've all been there.
                                      ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• downhill- welcome, welcome! membership is always open, the price is pictures Sounds like you have some fun goals ahead, I look forward to getting to know you and your horse.

no riding for me this weekend- working both days. so of course, since The Big Show is a week from Saturday, it's time for my freak-out. I've never cantered Pony at another show venue- what if she hates it? what if we do worse than the last time in front of Darlene the judge? what if the kids make Pony look great and I make her look awful? I will have one lesson next week before the show, plus Friday night practice.

Comment

• Lucky, will you get to school before your classes? If so, use that to test your canter. And you know what? If you find yourself in the class and feel like it's a bad idea to canter, then just don't do it. Now, I think you can do it, and from what you say about Pony, I think she will behave. But if you're just not feeling safe, then don't do it. In the grand scheme of things, cantering is just not that important. Do what you have fun doing. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Well, seems my running stint may be short lived. I guess I did too much, too soon. I have a stress fracture (knee). Had an MRI yesterday and my doctor called today. Sigh. 4 to 8 weeks. Back to crutches and knee imobilizer. You know, I'm having a pretty crappy summer. Sprained my ankle, then bruised my tailbone, now the fracture. I'm feeling a little down.
                                          ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                                          X