Sport Horse Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Birman1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice. Love hearing about everyone's experiences!

Paradox, I am actually returning; lingered a long time before actually getting my horse. I've had my horse about 8 months now.

Cupid, thanks I did have a good ride. Actually the second day of actual riding is better. I did lunge Ziggy yesterday briefly, but he still had a lot of energy today. Still working to slow him down a bit, but he is a TB after all.

Comment

• Countrychic - I love the name Ziggy. What type of riding do you do? Cupid is an OTTB as well. He is 7 now, I got him off the track as a 3 year old. One thing I've found to help when he's being quick is to trot on a big circle, and change my posting diagonal frequently - which helps to slow and rebalance. Then once he's starting to focus, work on bending him both directions, doing smaller circles, etc.
      http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Time flies, TC! Countrychic, I just realized you are somewhat local to me. I have two OTTBs as well. TC offers good advice. I will add to hers and say that if you can SLOW DOWN the up part of your post, that helps. Sounds odd, but my trainer has me do this with mine. It's easier said than done sometimes. But slow down your up.

Comment

• GC I think paradox was talking about horsebuff not you. I thought the same thing but in their profile was another post where she gave advice on having a mare so they do have a horse.
          It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuzieQNutter View Post
            GC I think paradox was talking about horsebuff not you. I thought the same thing but in their profile was another post where she gave advice on having a mare so they do have a horse.
            Yep. Okay, if I'm wrong, I apologize!! I have notice quite a few spoofy-ads on here lately, so I may be seeing them everywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
              Time flies, TC! Countrychic, I just realized you are somewhat local to me. I have two OTTBs as well. TC offers good advice. I will add to hers and say that if you can SLOW DOWN the up part of your post, that helps. Sounds odd, but my trainer has me do this with mine. It's easier said than done sometimes. But slow down your up.
              That's what I've been told as well. Intuitively I would think you want to emphasize the down beat - that feeling the weight on their back would help slow the horse - but I've been told to try to hold the up as well. Easier said than done of course!!
              http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Country- I'm in Mount Juliet and ride in Lebanon. Even if my trainer is too far for you, she can definitely help recommend someone good.

PF- i know this sounds crass, but the whole show right now, this minute, is a total CLUSTER For now, we are still looking at venues, as the bigwig of the club is blocking our use of Miller. They don't want it, and don't want us to have it either. The meeting to move forward in some form is 6/27. I will keep you posted.

Granny Dot got an officially good folow-up report- no cancer, nothing suspicious. Very thankful.

Comment

• CG 10 metre circles are good for slowing a horse.

If he understands contact you have to push to slow down a horse.

Comment

• CountryChic - Welcome, I have an OTTB as well. PF is spot on - the slowing of the post does work as eventually the horse matches your rhythm, but it does take practice. I have to sing or talk to myself to establish the rhythm I want and help me keep it, or I revert to the horses quicker pace. My boy takes a breath with lots of circles and direction changes, it helps slow his busy mind.

AFM - Oh what a frustrating ride with Quincy, he really was looking for the saber tooth tiger. Poor guy he really does not want to be first in line to do battle with the horse monster. I wonder of clicker training can substitute a behavior rather then turn and run. Would the expectation of reward overcome the fear? I am only just dabbling in clicker training so I really don't have the answer, just a random thought. I am at the point in my life that I just don't enjoy the "time bomb" sort of ride. I can put up with an occasional burning fuse, but I don't bounce so I don't want to see sparks on a regular basis.

PF - Milo was not a fan of touching under the belly or between the legs, he is better but we still have a way to go. When he was sedated for the shock wave, I did the bean check. Sometimes ya just have to go with better living thru chemistry. I hope TBG belly swelling is easily taken care of, and is no big deal in the long run. Glad you are having good rides on your guys, and girls. I loved your Dad's commentary, so much fun.

Suzie - I know that Sim's little adventure was an aggravation, but it sure did make me chuckle as I had the same sort of horse chase long ago. I had just told myself that he won't go anywhere, but of course he was merrily cantering down the driveway to visit the neighbors'. Sims just wanted to have his own adventure! I loved your trail ride pics, I am still stuck in the ring.

Cupid - What a neat adventure you had with your boy, and he was so good! Absolute fun and such confidence builders for you both. I really think that sort of confidence/partnership translates to the ring and shows. I love how he is always ready for the next adventure.

Austin - It was great to hear that DD and her horse had a good show at Upperville. I looks like a fun venue to show, so glad you all enjoyed it - and the Belmont.

Sugar - I am with Cash, I am huffing and puffing in this heat and high humidity. Love the pics of Goose tacked in cross ties, what a cute face. His personality shines through. Hope your heat breaks by the end of the week.

Lucky - So Pony has enjoyed her little vacay? Milo thinks the newness of rehab has worn off, especially as he has more turn out. I have had to remind him that "werk earns carrots". He has seen through that one as he is well able to count the carrots received during stall rest, and has found that the numbers are consistent post stall rest. He would like to go back to long walks grazing with his person.

Tigre- Fingers crossed for a trouble free move in the future. Hopefully all the barn drama can roll off now, knowing that there will be a plan "B".

We had a small milestone riding today, a right lead canter for half the ring. We have slowly worked up to the magic 20 min trot and then added a couple of weeks of increasing connected working trot. Milo gave me a quiet canter depart and a balanced canter. I had a big grin, no more 2 am worries that he had reverted back to his on the forehand racing canter. It was a bit of a struggle to show him he could be balanced, and I really didn't want to start all over again. So now we will start to slowly add the canter in both directions a little bit at a time.

I am still riding school horses in my weekly lesson. Right now I have had the ride on a lovely paint/quarter cross mare who is fun to jump. I focused on a quiet ride to the fences, but although I was quiet, my leg was a bit too quiet as well. Friday I start my course with the goal of being tall and quiet but supportive with leg. The first lines work well, then my leg becomes a driving leg. Instead of a nice steady rhythm, the last 2 strides are a move up ride. We find our distances and I sit nice and tall, but my leg was ambitious. Too much this time.

Riding is such a search for balance. The balance in the saddle, the horse's balance, balance between hand and leg, and mental balance. I really am searching for that mental balance doing courses. I am searching for that confidence to listen to the horses rhythm, and when I have it - support and wait. So this Friday, maybe I will find some place in the middle - or maybe next time. Its what keeps us going, right?

Comment

• You are so right Trot on. If it was easy I think we would all lose interest. The fact that it is hard keeps us going.

Well you guessed it. The moment I went to get Stars today the gale force wind started again. Sheesh. This has been going on over a week now. I am well over it.

I HATE lunging in the wind, so I decided to not lunge but to take him out as my warm up instead, after all he worked hard yesterday so he should be quiet today.

Yeah right. A good idea. not. Up his feed, don't lunge him and take him out in a gale. His shoulder high grass waving back and forth like a sea.

He walked after I mounted. I asked for halt and he walked on again. I decided to take the halt as a win. Black jack and the others didn't come up to the fence and for the very first time we managed to walk out without stopping. A win.

He went into trot without asking which is bad. He went into canter without asking which is bad but it was such a lovely quiet canter transition that I accepted it. He starts to go faster. I go with him. He acts up a bit and I sit up a bit but keep him going. We trot and walk from the spoken word. A win.

I am a bit worried about the next hill, but he does make a nice transition and he canters up the hill. He does not shy at the termite mounds. Win. We turn left and I notice his breathing and he breaks to trot. Yes he is tired from yesterday. I ask for canter again and then we trot to the end and walk home.

Half way home the wind drops. HAHA. Mother Nature has not given us a problem with the wind so she forgets it. We get back to Black Jack and I start worry a bit and voila the gale starts up again.

Thinking of you Tigre. I took his hoof boots off, combed his mane, (in that gale I have no idea why), removed some dry gass from his tail and oiled his hooves.

We entered the arena with my new attitude that we are going to work.

It is amazing how I am able to take the 2nd notch just because I have been told to. When I could not take it last week. I have been told two rounds of long and low. He is already warm from being lunged anyway and then he has to be brought up to work on notch 2. I canend in long and low.

I take the 2nd notch, he says no. I say yes and he goes forward to trot. I have not asked for trot and here he is going forward before I have really done anything. We do get the forward trot. Win. Canter is not good on the bad way. I give a small light tap with the whip but this is what has been happening all along. I don't ask for anything unless I know I am going to win the battle and so I don't up the ante. I know that should change but small steps.

I change rein and the canter is so much better that way. He is rewarded. I change rein again and the canter is so much better than before. I will have to remember to do the good way first and that is what we did in the lesson.

I start to feel a bit sick so I give him a walk break and wait for both of us to get our second wind. I start again in trot. All the time thinking about relaxing my thigh. I do some leg yield from the 3/4 line back to the side we have come from. I then let him walk and do some free walk.

I practice saying slow and tensing my thigh and saying quick and relaxing my thigh. In the end he trotted when I relaxed my thigh.

I am at Mum's now and I have a lesson tomorrow, Probably on Ben.

Hopefully I will get home in time to ride Stars tomorrow.

Comment

• TC, yeah, the whole slow-the-up thing was confusing to me at first. My trainer would have me slow the up and then use my seat on the down beat to help lengthen his stride, yet the slow up made it less quick. So my goal is usually to slow the up so the pace is slower, yet use my seat on the down to make sure the horse is lengthening the stride a bit. It's actually pretty difficult for me to accomplish, haha. I am a work in progress.

lucky, sorry about the show woes. That bites. And good news on grandma dot.

Trot on, if TBG gets sedated, I will quickly do all the other "necessities" as well! Take full advantage. I need to trim his bridle path as well. So glad Milo is doing well. You've taken excellent care of him, and it shows! And I totally understand your balance issues.

Vet still due out today. She had a couple colics, so the appointment is probably being pushed back. So hopefully she'll still get out there today. Now Chico has a foot issue going on. Maybe a burst abscess. When I picked his hooves after turnout yesterday, he twitched when I hit deep in his groove. He never does that. Today, DN picked him and he really flinched. I wanted to spray hoof stuff on and when I picked it up, blood came out a bit and maybe with a little mass of something. Sigh. So just sprayed with vet spray and will have the vet look at it when she comes. He is usually very strong and nothing bothers him. Though, even with this, whatever it is going on, he didn't take a bad step.

TBG still has his mystery swelling. I did pull a tick off Jazz two nights ago, and his neck had a swollen spot the size of, oh, maybe a playing card. Amazing how much they swell from those nasty buggers.

Was planning to ride this morning, but yesterday my temporary crown came off and I had to go to the dentist this morning to get it put back on. (Some of you may remember my deep aversion to dental care. I do it regularly, but i HATE it and normally need sedation dentistry if they're using any type of drill. BLECH. One bad root canal twenty years ago, and I'm shot. haha.) So, anyway, no riding today. DH is out of town, so DN and I are planning to go to the movies for the "twighlight" show and see Incredibles 2. Horses will have the day off. Plus I don't like to ride them after shots anyway.

Comment

• Trot- yay for milestones! I hear you with the balance, I can't seem to get back to my happy place with Pony, balance-wise. I either perch or brace. Now the perching isn't new, but the bracing is. If Fab allows, I may try and work Pony after my lesson on Straight Fire this weekend. I've got to be due a good ride on my girl- this mediocre stuff sucks.

PF- yeah, the show is a rollercoaster right now. Jingles for TBG and my favorite boy. I don't have experience with crowns- how long do the temporary ones typically stay on? Have fun at the movies- we haven't been in ages. My favorite parts are the previews and of course the bad-for-you popcorn

Comment

• CC Welcome! Looking forward to hearing more about you and Ziggy.

Trot Glad Milo didn't forget how to canter correctly! That's huge. I'm sure it's a relief to know he retained what he knew and you don't have to go backwards.

PF Hope all went well with TBG and the vet. At least you found Chico's foot injury before the vet came and not after.

TC That's great that Cupid is refreshed after your trip. A change of scenery is good for them, just like us. Not that I really remember what that's like. Been years since we had a vacation.

Sugar Goose is a cutie! Thanks for the pic.

Tiger I hope you and Sugar are getting some of the cooler weather that we are getting!

lucky Good news on Granny Dot!

Austen U2!! Wow!! Glad Upperville went well for DH.

A Quincy update. I gave him a day off to think about things and then took him back to the scary spot to lunge. He was 90% better. The terrifying flowers weren't so bad and after giving them one look he was good. There wasn't any traffic on the road so no distraction there. Mares and foals were running around in an adjacent pasture so that was exciting for a minute but then he settled.
                            I keep reminding myself how far he has come. When I 1st got him I couldn't fly spray him, I couldn't catch him, couldn't get within 10' of him with a water hose, he would shake and drip sweat when he was loading and while in the trailer, and every morning for a year and a half he would come into the barn to have breakfast snorting, and sneaking along, sure that something would attack him. All of that has gotten much better. It has been a long process to get him to halfway trust that the world is not as bad as he thinks it is. I know he has issues that come from his past. Previous owners gave up when he spooked their daughter off constantly and sent him to an Amish guy here to train to drive. There are a couple of good Amish trainers here but he is not one of them. He's the last person a nervous horse needs. After several good wrecks trying to teach him to drive they decided to send him to auction, which is where I got him. Skinny, scared and the only person bidding on him was the killer buyer, so I felt sorry for him and raised my hand and started this long process of gaining his trust. The frustrating part is one situation doesn't transfer to the next situation, just because he learns to cope with one place or situation doesn't mean he can cope with the next new thing or place. I've dealt with problem horses for 50 years and I've dealt with mega spookers many times and most overcome it, but not all of them. So I will continue on for another month or two and see what I have then.

I think part of my frustration is because I am feeling some pressure to get him sorted out and safe to ride. We are still having a major drought and our pastures are almost burnt up and hay prices are going to be very high, if you can even find any. Hay fields are producing about 50% less than normal and everyone is keeping their hay for their own use with no extra to sell. If we don't start getting some rain everyone will be feeding horses and cattle hay instead of relying on pasture and then it will get even pricier. Depending on what happens it might not be possible for us to keep all of our horses. All of DH's medical stuff has eaten a big hole in my horse budget and it won't handle extra months of expensive hay. I'm not panicking yet, but I do feel like I need to get Quincy farther along so he can either be productive here or be safe enough to find another home. Without rain there are going to be a lot people making hard decisions about cattle and horses and we might be one of them.

Comment

• AFM, hugs. I know you're doing all you can with Quincy. Kudos to you. It's not easy. I know sometimes expenses can really put a dent in what we want to do with these critters. Although I'm not comparing Quincy to TBG, there are similarities in that I want to be sure I get him to be more reliable with EVERYTHING if I decide I do need to sell down the road. I don't want to sell a problem because in the long run, that's not good for the horse. So I understand what you're going through, in a way. Just do the best you can, and then decide what's best. And don't ever think it's your responsibility to completely FIX everything. Some cannot be completely "fixed". The best you can do is all any of us can do. I still need to get you on Insta.

lucky, I had this temp crown put on, and it lasted about 3 weeks. Then I went to get the permanent one put on, but it didn't quite fit, so they had to put the temp back on. That time it only lasted five days. So I went back yesterday to get it put on again. I'm thinking the newly built up permanent one should be in soon, though. So it'll be a lot of back and forth with this thing. All for a person who really is anxious with dental work. Cruel joke, haha.

Chico did have an abscess. It was back between the frog groove and the heel. And he actually had a piece of gravel, or wood, about the size of a pea. How does that happen and I not notice it? It must have gotten wedged really far in where I couldn't see it. But we flushed it and cut away part so it can finish draining and then packed it full of Magic Cushion and wrapped it up. Later today I'll unwrap it, flush it with Betadine, and let it go. And all through this, not a single bad step from that boy.

TBG, we're still not sure about the abdomen swelling. She did take blood and will call me today with results. But since we did end up tranqing him, we did his sheath cleaning, floated his teeth (he did have some hooks), and I trimmed his bridle path. Poor guy was completely violated yesterday. He's grumpier than ever today, haha. So, keep fingers crossed it's nothing major.

Jazz and Katie just needed shots/coggins, so they're good to go! Today, it's raining, so no riding anyway. Hope you all are having some good rides.

Comment

• AFM- hugs to you. I know no decision with horses is made lightly, and I hope things get better with Quincy. It almost makes you wonder if his brain had enough trauma/fight or flight for so long that he got re-wired. I know you are doing everything you can for him and to help him be a good citizen. I commend you for taking on the spooky ones- I don't have the courage, or the stick (in the seat). You remind me a lot of Fab, and you know how highly I regard her

PF- I can just picture TBG... "Mom, I did NOT agree to this."

Almost forgot to update on Turbo. Well, she needs a new nickname. Turns out the supercute top of the line medium Arab cross that we THOUGHT was a speedster and a snot in the arena is literally a "kid's pony". As in, anyone over about 70# offends her and she runs around the arena like a nutjob. Put a smaller kid on her and all of a sudden she needs a dressage crop for encouragement. And she loves to jump. Doesn't put a foot wrong. Now on the ground, she's a total lovebug and loves people of all sizes.

And that bay gelding that we kept renaming (Billy, Joey), well, of course after 21 years of being Buddy, it stuck. So now we indeed have another Buddy in the barn. Our original was Pony's half brother and man he was spectacular. You would extend his trot and you could feel the power oozing out. And boy did he love to jump. We lost him a few years ago to a high twist.

Comment

• I totally understand AFM. All we can do is make them good citizens for if anything happens to us, and we are no longer here, so they have the chance of a soft landing.

Just like you I have retrained a lot of horses. Sim has been the hardest horse I have ever retrained and on the forum I even wondered if it was worth retraining him. He has a very bad case of separation anxiety which meant when he first came he was always running in the paddock and injuring himself.

Like Quincy, teaching him something in front of the house did not mean the same thing down the paddock. I used to joke that you had to teach him something in front of the house, behind the house, down the paddock, up the driveway, etc.

It takes a normal horse about 4 minutes to learn to walk through a gate and halt when I say halt. Sim took 4 months.

I have had to teach this horse everything. I mean everything you don't normally teach. How to walk. How to trot. How to canter. Every. single. little. thing.

The first time we took him to Dalson Park he cantered in short side reins on the lunge for ages. Our problem at that time was that he was not forward. Now he was energised and you can't tire out an energised thoroughbred. My instructor was surprised that I mounted. I knew him well enough that as long as I could get on him I could handle him. We did not let hubby get on him though.

We were so disappointed as he was going so well at home but he was such a different horse at Dalson Park. The last time I had a lesson on him in the indoor there, he was very relaxed walking on a loose rein.

It took a year before I even asked for canter in the arena.

Now that we have gotten him to where he is, he is almost a normal horse! Normal training now works on him. He now picks up things like other horses. He even looks like a normal horse and he is now so safe to ride I can give beginner lessons on him. Hubby learnt to ride Dressage on him.

Here is a photo of hubby on him in a lesson on the outdoor arena with my instructor at Dalson Park.

Comment

• Thanks everyone for understanding my dilemma with Quincy. All I can do is keep plugging along and see what happens.

This week I have been riding him in one of his "safe" places and then pony him with the golf cart to an unfamiliar scary place and just walk around and graze until he chills out. Or partially chill out. If I do it the other way around and wander around 1st and then ride he never settles in. Slow progress.

Comment

• TC - When I first got Goose, I thought he looked like a RMH too! I ended up sending a mane sample to Texas A&M and he came back as Norwegian Fjord and Missouri Fox Trotter which would also explain his odd coloring! He also has a slower gait, a normal trot, and a faster gait. He's an interesting little thing, for sure How's Cupid doing this week?

Faye - How's TSH doing? Are you back from your trip?

Tigre - Hope you are enjoying this cooler weather, while we have it!

Lucky - Great update on Granny Dot!!

Lost - WOW! Huge jumper class, how awesome for DD!! And what a great way to celebrate your Birthday!

Suzie - Naughty Sim escaping through the gate!! So glad he didn't go far and was easy to catch. Sounds like you and Stars are making some great progress too!

PF - Yuck, sorry about the dentist. I just got a reminder call for a cleaning next week and I'm already dreading it. I feel your pain. Glad Chico is doing better already, what a stoic little man he is! And what a drama queen TBG is He sounds like he definitely keeps you on your toes! I had to back out of Brownland, and I'm majorly bummed but I couldn't find a farm sitter since it's the week of the 4th of July and my usual people are out of town. My oldest dog is having some health problems and I'm worried leaving her too. So, we may do Lamplight the end of July instead. We'll see. I have a couple of items pulled aside to send you, but I actually have more riding clothes than horse stuff I could donate. Do clothes go over well at all?

Trot - YAYYYYYY! Milo must have been spending his stall rest time studying. What a great feeling that must have been that he remembered how to canter correctly. I feel like sometimes those breaks actually help them come back even better than before. Loved your report on the school horse too, I'm right there with you working on supporting rather than picking or kicking!

AFM - Sounds like you have a good plan in place moving forward with Quincy. Great idea ponying him off the golf cart, keeps both of you safe and lets you expose him to a lot.

Vanessajean and Greys - Hope both of you are doing well!!

Great week of lessons on our end, we had one of those fabulous days on Tuesday where everything seems to come together. We started with a line off both leads, and then did two courses. Every jump was right there and Cash was so light and balanced. The second course she raised the oxers to 2'9" and Cash jumped them great. I didn't know he'd have it in him Old man is still going strong! We went on a trail ride yesterday, and he was surprisingly really relaxed and seemed to enjoy it. Today he was dead for our lesson so maybe walking for an hour over terrain took more out of him than I thought!

Goose has been good this week too. I've been working on him staying in the canter longer, which I'm guessing will come in time as he gets stronger. Do you guys think lunging him in side reins would help with that or do you think it has more to do with the weight of a rider making it harder for him?

Finally, I was finishing up with the horses today and noticed my oldest dog, Marley, all of a sudden started having difficulty walking. I went over to her and suddenly her hind legs crossed and went out from under her and she flipped onto her back and had a seizure. It didn't last long, only a few seconds, then she got back up and vomited. Took her to the vet right away and am waiting on blood work results. Would appreciate any jingles, it was a scary thing to witness!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Comment

• Sugar, PM'd you. (Oops...called Marley a "he" I think. Sorry.) Many jingles coming your way!

Comment

• Sugar- glad Cash is going so well. Big jingles for Marley.

I'm beginning to think I'm not meant to ride Straight Fire... I get to work at one of my new PRN places tomorrow, instead of riding. We will be going to get a new pony Sunday, and I may get to ride after that. I will post pics, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                          X