Sport Horse Spotlight

calucci_cf_sq

Real Estate Spotlight

105 DSCN0687

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC. On a computer. Open Excel. Insert picture. Click on the bottom right corner and scroll up and left several times until you can see the whole photo on the screen. Right click and click on copy.

Open paint (Could be in accessories) and click on File and insert. If you see white around it. Click on the tags and bring to photo. Click on file and 'save as'. Change the top one to what you want to call it. Change the bottom one to .jpg. Tell it where to save and save.

On a phone I would like to know how as well.
    It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• Hi, everyone--I'm putting in a quick appearance. Sorry I haven't been around--I've been enjoying a few weeks off and have been doing a ton of gardening. It's been very gratifying, and the yard is taking shape. It's never done, of course. I am posting "before" and "after" pics of my latest project. The bed was overgrown with wild raspberries, weeds, and the children of a rogue houseplant (a spider plant) that I had set on the driveway for the summer about 10 or 15 years ago. I dug up all the spider plants and repotted them. I included a picture of the ones I have left--I have already given away at least 25 plants. This has been an ongoing project over the past year. The roots were huge and hard to dig out. Anyway, I finally finished it. I can't wait to see everything in bloom. Next year it should be really pretty--everything I chose for the bed is either white, yellow, or purple. That is our cat Pippa in the "after" pic. She loves to keep me company while I garden.

Just to keep the pics horse-related, I am including a recent one of me and JD.

I've been riding, too. I rode in a little local show at my home barn--just a few classes. Sky and I did very well! I won the schooling round (comment on the judge's sheet: WOW) and the medal class (judge's comment: double WOW). That was very gratifying. I showed Sky because our interim pastor wanted to see me ride, and this was a good opportunity locally. But it was the best I have ridden at a home show in a long time. Usually Sky and I show better away from home. Another fun thing was that our interim pastor is a woman, and this is Southern Baptist territory. A lot of the girls asked me after the show, "Wow, that woman was your pastor? I never heard of a woman pastor before." So that was cool.

I've been riding Penny again and also JD. All this extra riding will end next week when my summer course begins. I am going to try to keep riding Penny a couple of times a week since no one else is riding her. I want to start jumping her over more than crossrails. I've just been hacking JD bareback, but it has been so much fun to ride him again. I think he's been enjoying the attention too. He is due to go off to his retirement home any time, so I need to enjoy him while I can!

The barn has been very quiet this week as almost everyone is at 4-H State in Perry, GA. I remember going every year with my DD. It was a really fun time--we always looked forward to it. I can't wait to hear how they all did.

Am planning on showing at Aiken next weekend (June 23-24). There will be a Derby, and my goal is to make it to the handy round this time. Sky has been so good lately that I am optimistic.
      Last edited by Dewey; Jun. 13, 2018, 02:53 PM. Reason: corrected dates
      I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• dewey- what a transformation! I get frustrated with our front bed, it gets overgrown with grass-type weeds that keep re-spawning. I'm about to take RoundUp to it. JD is very cute, I'm glad you've had the opportunity to ride more, and that you and Sky were properly apreciated at the show. Great job!

Comment

• Dewey, so glad to hear from you and that you are enjoying some well-deserved time off. You're going to become a master gardener! The before and after is awesome. Great job. And THIS YEAR I will get your those pretty yellow irises. Maybe some purple, as well!

Just got done riding. Decided to ride before working today. It wasn't overly hot while ride, but the barn was stuffy. Good, short ride. DH rode Jazz Man, too.

My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• LOL at those comments Dewey. They must have made you smile. Wow at the work in the Garden as well.

On our ride out yesterday a horse from next door came cantering over with his rugs flapping every stride. G R E A T ! Stars is still pretty young and this is exciting for him. I have not been able to walk him past with horses walking over. I tried to keep him going in walk but nope we whirled around so I faced him up to the horse. He had Black Jack written on his rug. That's right. Rub it in that I don't have a black horse! Ah never mind after all Valegro is not black.

I greeted Black Jack and we had a conversation and then Stars and I went on. I am teaching him to walk out and to walk back. He was forward from the first step when I asked for canter and I was just able to go into 2 point and go with him. He did not try to go faster and I did not ask. It was just a nice canter hack with a sensible horse even with the kangaroos bounding away from us. I asked for trot before the end and then we turned and walked home on a loose rein. This time when 10 birds flew out from beside his hoof they did so in dribs and drabs. 2 then 3 then 1 then 3 then 1. Stars took no notice and flicked an irritated ear at the last one LOL.

He was forward from the first step in the arena and I replicated the lesson. We will have it hoof perfect by our next lesson. We even did the walk trot transitions with asking for forward from the first step so as the steps are the same length and not starting narrow and then getting bigger. That was only a dream 3 weeks ago.

I am sure your hearts will skip a beat when I say that a local school went into lock down. No we don't have automatic guns and mass shootings are not a thing here. It was because a male kangaroo had entered the school grounds. Stars and I are seeing smaller grey kangaroos. A big male red kangaroo during mating season is very dangerous. They are taller than a man. They scrabble at the face with their 'hands' and then steady on their tail and kick with their hind legs. They can kill a man. There have been scenarios of a kangaroo being put in a boxing ring with a man in the past.

A question for you all. I have moved on an hour west of where I grew up. It is amazing how much colder it is here than there. So much so that the people from home don't understand! The indoor arenas there are made to keep out the sun and and rain and no sides to allow a breeze. That won't cut it here at night as the cold would still stop you from riding. So how are your indoor arenas made so as you can ride when it is snowing? No snow here but we do get frosts.

Comment

• Wow, Suzie--a kangaroo in the school grounds! That is something to remember. Great reports on Stars.

About the arenas: here, an "indoor" arena means that it is actually indoors, sometimes with heating and/or AC depending on the climate. A "covered" arena means one with a roof but no sides.
              I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• So I am guessing that the A/C and the heating are extremely expensive? and cost prohibitive? At least here we could put solar panels on the roof to try and offset that.

Comment

• They probably are extremely expensive. I would guess that some people do use solar panels. Some barns here have small indoors. Others can tell you about that. Here in GA, I don't know anyone with a private barn who has one. The state showground in Perry, GA, has several covered arenas and two actual indoors with AC, both large. A few showgrounds I frequent have covered arenas but not indoors.

I would love to have a covered arena with ceiling fans at our home barn for relief from the sun. We could ride there during rain storms as well. We have often talked about it, but our trainer can't afford it. I can't imagine what an actual indoor with AC would cost.
                  Last edited by Dewey; Jun. 13, 2018, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• LOL I don't even use the air conditioning in one room in the house because of the expense!

Comment

• Dewey - Those judges comments must have made your day, I bet those words will stick in your mind for years to come! The garden transformation looks great too! I am starting to really get into gardening (which my mom warned me for years would eventually happen ) it kind of reminds me of cleaning a stall, there's that zen feeling when you can finally stand back and admire your hard work! Best of luck in Aiken, you rock that handy round!

Suzie - OMG a Kangaroo in the school?! You don't hear that every day! What a good boy Stars has been, sounds like he earned his dinner tonight! How cold does it get where you live? It's often in the single digits and teens (Fahrenheit) and and a lot of indoors around here are not insulated. They aren't much warmer than outside, but they do cut out the wind and the precipitation. My current trainer's barn has an insulated arena and keeps the arena and barn heated to 40 degrees, but I can only imagine what the heating bill costs! Now, I'm hot blooded and don't mind the cold, but I'd give anything to ride in an air conditioned arena

TC - Wow, that blows my mind! I did find a study that found what you had said, and I guess it makes some sense, but it also didn't account for WHY the horses that first raced as 3-year olds weren't raced as 2-year olds. I'm just wondering if some of the horses that started in their first race as 3-year olds didn't sustain injuries while training as a 2-year old and thus weren't entered in a race until the following year? If so, that would obviously skew the study as I would think those horses were more predisposed to injuries from the start. Interesting, for sure!

It was dressage lesson day today at my house. Two friends that also have hunters brought their horses over and we all three took a lesson. We're all finding the dressage lessons to be super beneficial to our course work, and the horses seem to enjoy the variety! Jump lesson tomorrow!

Comment

• Our temperature gets down to around -3 Celsius. Which Google says is 26.6 Fahrenheit. We get frost and then when the sun comes out it melts and the day is much hotter.

We also live in the scenic rim which was a volcano. As such we don't really have a twilight in winter. It is daylight and warm and then suddenly dark and the cold sets in. I have to make sure I am back in the car before dark in winter or I get sick when the cold comes down and I am hot. So I don't want the same thing to happen to the horses.

Hubby just said that it is supposed to get cold next week. We are into winter now. Another week and we should reach the shortest day of the year. I am so looking forward to longer days again.

A lesson on Ben this morning. I can't renember when I last rode him. I did feel stronger in my position. I did feel fitter . I had 4 right lead canters from him.

It felt cool when I arrived home soI didn't ride as I don't want to risk the horses getting a chill and anyway it meant my foot could have a rest.

Comment

• Dewey - WOW - you've been busy. Great job on the garden!! And what a super show!! And the judge's comments - so well deserved and what a super way to head into Aiken!!

Love that your interim pastor is a woman - the Catholic Church (lapsed Catholic here) is soooo far behind other faiths in soooo many ways - it's just sad. And I love that she came out to see you ride - how cool is that?!

It's great that you're getting some extra saddle time too! And are enjoying Penny and JD.

Suzie - sounds like you are having some great rides!

And a kangaroo in school - I know they are dangerous - I didn't realize thay were quite that dangerous though.

As far as indoors go - I think you got a pretty good idea from Dewey and Sugar re: what they are. As far as being heated - some in the midwest have heaters mounted in the ceiling that are turned on prior to activity beginning - more economical than the heat being on all the time. Once you're done - heat turned off.

Current indoor is not heated, but as I've mentioned it rarely gets below 20 degrees - which for us is manageable, as long as you dress for it.

I've never heard of an indoor with AC, fans maybe, but not AC.

TC - I remember that study. Racing is so complicated. I truly have a love/hate relationship with it. Love the horses with a passion and the sport as well. Absolutely hate the risk. Understand that it's a business and fervently hope that most owners and trainers try to do right by their horses. Big supporter of Old Friends and other such organizations so that all OTTBs get a well deserved soft landing/retirement.

Sugar - glad you are enjoying your dressage lessons! Have a great jump lesson today!

Comment

• Dewey: The comments!! I'm sure this will be a memory of your lifetime! What an awesome job you and Sky put together! Congrats!
                            And those spider plants!! Amazing!!
                            I wondered if indoor arenas are for areas where there are more severe weather? I've never seen an indoor in the bay area, mostly covered. I've rode in an indoor in Denver and Ireland. It was terrifying to ride in the one in denver, when someone wants to enter, they will screen DOOR!!!, then the scary door opens, horses may or may not freak out.. omg.

Suzie: Brrrrrr i didnt know you lived by a volcano! Stay warm in the winter, it's so weird when it's getting super hot in the bay area! So y'all actually have heated indoor arenas? I'm like you, i worried about the electric bills!!

Sugar: Dressage lessons are SO HARD!!! TSH is still young and super supple (trainer said he's almost like the human equivalent of double jointed), so it's easier to bend but we need to get him stronger.

Toffle is doing very well with his rehab, super slow rehab schedule but we will take it!
                            TSH is doing very well! Some of you on IG saw my trainer's jump picture, he's so cute! We are doing very small courses, 6 jumps, 2-2"3 so that it's not stressful to either of us, hunter courses mainly no crazy turns and we are enjoying them!

He's getting his lead changes button installed and i'm dreading schooling this :P

Comment

• No It is no longer a volcano. Some mountain peaks are left which is why the sun goes down so quickly as they are west of here.

Queensland is warm so when I say indoor arena it is what you call a covered arena and I have never seen an indoor arena. After all all you do is wait until 10am to ride. It is only because of work that I wasn't able to do that. But I am able to this week. Hubby is only riding on the weekends now because of work.

It is only 3 months of the year so not really worth it I guess but it is annoying to have 2 to 3 horses out of work for that time because of something like what you would not even call cold. I am just dreaming with me wanting to get more serious about my riding.

I will only ride Stars today. 1 because less walking for my feet and 2. I have to go and do my pamphlets and I have to go in so much earlier to finish by dark with the shorter days that I won't have time.

Comment

• Our indoor/covered has high panels with plenty of room for sunlight but high enough to not have issues with snow/rain, except for the errant drainage that is getting fixed.

Today/tonight was supposed to be my lesson, but instead it became "Adventures with Fab"...
                                We went to pick up The Green Bean 5 horse gooseneck trailer from the repair shop. Leaving the shop, the check engine light came on in the truck, so we put in more oil. Then, we noticed the light on again, so we pulled into a large gravel lot a few miles away. We then notice the engine running hot.

We add antifreeze and wait, in the mean time calling anyone we can think of for towing help. Insurance covered some of the cost, however everyone we talked to wouldn't/couldn't do it b/c of the trailer. After a bit, it ran cooler so we chanced driving home, since we were within 5 miles.

At one point, Fab asked "Are you praying?" to which I replied, "I am now"

We made it safely and I got to learn how to unhitch the trailer. Definitely getting my workout at the barn.

As it stands now, I will ride in the morning, with the camp kiddos, as Fab is going to make me the model to "show them how it's done" If we jump, I'll use Pony, since she hunts the jumps. If not, I'll use Straight Fire. Fab being wonderful said I could school them both regardless of who I used in the morning.

Comment

• Pony and I had an ok workout today. The ride on Straight Fire was put on the backburner, again. I wanted to let the campers have first dibs, and then we didn't ride again this afternoon. Pony was snarky and opinionated, in the ring with three other kids. Normally, I can ride her through without bracing or getting nervous, but I don't have my crowd/traffic mojo back with her yet. Not the ride I wanted, but I did sit a baby spook with canter steps, around other horses, and I didn't fall off and the world didn't end.

On the plus side, Pony went in her snaffle vs the kimberwicke. The snaffle always gives me more horse to work with, she leans on it and will pull through more, which makes me sit up and ride instead of bracing. Fab was patient and said I shouldn't be hard on myself, but it's hard not to. That's the one bad thing of riding old faithful Pony- I know what we CAN be and get put out when it's not that way every time

Next week, I'm going to suck it up and ride Straight Fire regardless, as there won't be camp kids to contend with.

Comment

• It is harder to ride with kids everywhere Lucky. If you can survive that you can survive anything!

It was hot by the time I went to ride Stars yesterday. It is so different tacking him up in the heat. It is like tacking a normal horse!

On the lunge I started him 2 holes shorter and ended 2 holes shorter. He is ready for that.

Then right on cue as ALWAYS happens with Stars. It is uncanny how the moment you think about getting on Stars the wind starts up. It doesn't matter what time of the day you ride him, or if you ride 1 or 2 horses first. The moment you think about putting your foot in the stirrup the wind will start.

So hobbling up the driveway a gale starts. It is not just bending the trees you can hear the wind going through the leaves as well.

I take him out the gate and mount. The Waterboard slashes the trails for us. No one else comes out this far, so it is like they slash them just for us. The grass on our left hand side is up to his shoulders and is a sea of movement. The grass is waving back and forth and the noise as well.

I ask for walk and then I feel his hindquarters. I look up and Blackjack and another horse are cantering over with rugs flapping. I had missed this as their hoofbeats are silent above the wind.

I greet Blackjack and call the other one Simpson as that is the make of the rug.

We walk on and I feel his hindquarters again. They are following the fence line in trot. We halt again and they stay halted when we walk on this time. They are near the end of their paddock anyway.

I walk down and up and I ask for a trot and a canter. I try to go into 2 point to practice my folding but no my off side stirrup is pinching me.

We walk and I find it is twisted. I turn the stirrup around. We canter up the next bit and he breaks to trot. We trot past a termite mound. I keep him in canter past the next termite mound and he shies in midair. A funny shy with his body. He actually leaves the ground and lands on the ground in the same place and yes you guessed it, he shied at the 2 things that were not moving around us.

We turn left and he starts getting faster. I let him. He had the day off yesterday. He goes faster again, when a Monarch Butterfly comes down from above and bops him on the nose!

Stars did not like that at all. He threw his head and reacted with his body. I sit up and say he can't do anything and to stay in canter as we haven't reached the end yet . We trot and walk and I ask him to turn around to walk home.

He stays in walk as we have always walked home, but I can feel he is not relaxed. A few minutes later and a relaxed walk home on a loose rein and yes straight past the termite mounds!

I don't know why but by the time we arrive home I am not feeling confident. I did stay on to walk past Blackjack's paddock. The horses take no notice of us and I see there are actually 3 horses in that paddock.

Back home and I hobble down the driveway and we enter the arena.

Soooooo good. We have gone from not going into trot when I ask to asking for forward from the first step so as all the steps are the same size. I remember to shorten my reins (short retina win Olympic Games) and when I activate with my inside leg he is thinking canter instead of me not being able to canter.

I feel too big for him. I have asked hubby before and he says I am not too big. He is big. To get anything bigger I would have to go to a Clydesdale.

Last night I took Stars day rug off to out his night rug on. He is starting to have a rub on his near shoulder.

Comment

• I'm back from Oregon, and it was a whole different world there! This was a very rural area, everyone lives on ranches with either/both cattle or hay and often a few horses, with a few little towns in between. The "town" nearest my friend's ranch has a post office and tiny market, that's about it. A zero stoplight town. She says there's always talk of a gas station and restaurant coming, but who knows when.

One crazy thing I saw was a livestock auction, my friend works in the stockyard herding the cattle between the pens and to the auction ring on her horse. First they had goats. There were 6 tiny babies that sold as a lot for I believe $10 each. (It was very hard to tell what the auctioneer was saying!) The mama boats I think sold for between $100-200. Then they had a llama, which my friend says is the first time she's seen that, and I couldn't tell how much he went for. Then they had 2 horses. The first was described as a 12 year old gelding. Nothing visibly wrong with it that I could see. A chestnut, ranch horse type. Sold for $10. My friend said that's the lowest she's ever seen, but the guy is a notorious dealer who has screwed too many people, and most of the buyers are regulars and they did this to spite him. Then they had a 22 year old gelding, dead broke a little girl rode him across the ring. He went for I think $300. Go figure. Some of the cattle sold by the pound, while the mamas with their babies were priced by the head. It was unlike anything I've ever seen.

Cupid was super through out, and we had several great trail rides. The terrain was pretty rough - lots of sage brush in the high dessert, and a bit rocky in the mountains, but we made it through unscathed. On our last ride we were going to go near Crater Lake, but the road was closed so we ended up on another trail and I was nearly eaten alive by mosquitoes. Cupid was a bit fussy with the bugs too, but I can't blame him for that.

It was a great trip and we're already talking about doing it again next year!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180611_135857.jpg Views:	1 Size:	25.8 KB ID:	10148703Click image for larger version  Name:	20180613_142023.jpg Views:	1 Size:	19.4 KB ID:	10148705
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_52323.jpg Views:	1 Size:	20.2 KB ID:	10148704
                                      http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• TC- what a great report, sounds like you had a wonderful time. What a rockstart Cupid was, and how handsome he looks. His coat is beautiful, and I do like his long tail. Forgive me sounding like a Cupid-groupie. What can I say, I appreciate a good horse

Comment

• Lucky - Thanks! I've been using MTG on his tail to get it to grow
                                          I thought of you with the donkeys. Luckily Cupid didn't have strong feelings about them. He did a little double take when he first saw them - of course they were also sneaking through the fence at the time! But he decided they were harmless, and didn't mind them hanging around his pen.
                                          http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                          X