Sport Horse Spotlight

Friend Or FoeęBrantGammaPhotos.WC7B1578

Real Estate Spotlight

McLeanJanet_Front1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You´┐Żre responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it´┐Żdetails of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums´┐Ż policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it´┐Żs understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users´┐Ż profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses ´┐Ż Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it´┐Żs related to a horse for sale, regardless of who´┐Żs selling it, it doesn´┐Żt belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions ´┐Ż Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services ´┐Ż Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products ´┐Ż While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements ´┐Ż Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be ´┐Żbumped´┐Ż excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues ´┐Ż Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators´┐Ż discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the ´┐Żalert´┐Ż button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your ´┐ŻIgnore´┐Ż list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you´┐Żd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user´┐Żs membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost - I hope you all had a wonderful time at Upperville! How did your jumper do?

PF - Since I moved the boys back home last night I plan on unpacking and organizing the tack room all day. I'll definitely throw a box together for you for the St Jude event. I have a million old blankets and sheets, but some are faded or may have small rips...would those be of any value to you or should I pitch them? Are there any specific items that generate a lot of interest in the auction? Can you PM me your address again too please?

Tigre - Love the horse tattoo! I have always thought about getting a tiny tattoo that has something to do with horses but always chicken out! If I had an OTTB, I'd probably do it's tattoo number, I've seen that before and think it's really a cool idea!

Faye - Sounds like a fun lesson, I love gymnastics! Cato must have been pretty proud of himself if he felt the need to play afterwards

Suzie - Jingles that your foot gets better quickly! Sounds like you've had some great rides despite the pain, but don't overdo it!

AFM - Wow! What an awesome way to expose Quincy to a lot of new things in one setting, and it sounds like he was a total star and soaked it all in and learned to relax despite all of the commotion! On another note, what is going on with our weather?! It's august in early june

Lucky - Loved the Germantown report, sounds like you all had a great time and got to watch some nice rounds! I hope you have a fun lesson on Straight Fire this week!

Sun - Sorry you've been so sick, but glad you checked in!

We had another pretty good show this weekend, but I don't think we'll ever go back to this particular venue. It's set up poorly, the barns are so from the rings that you need a rent a golf cart, and even the sanest horses tend to get a bit crazy there. Cash was super barn sour and a difficult ride all weekend, but we survived. It was nearly 100 degrees, which made things even harder, and the barns had no ventilation and the breaker kept blowing when we'd turn on the fans.

Despite all of those issues, we made the best of it and still had a fun show. They didn't offer any 2'6" hunters on Friday, so we just did the lows for practice. There were 20 in the class, and we took a 3rd and a 4th O/F and a 5th in the hack. Saturday we did the Adult I, and in the warmup ring Cash was awful. He hated the footing (they'd over-watered and it was full of puddles), and he wanted nothing more than to run back to the barn.

My trainer told me I'd just have to ride him through it, and to be sure to really stay a step ahead of him especially in the lines coming towards home. He was super strong, but I felt like I did my job and covered it up pretty well. My rounds felt terrible, but watching the videos they looked pretty nice. We took a 4th and 5th O/F in the Adults, and missed a change and were out of the ribbons in the Eq, unfortunately.

Sunday, the show kept getting further and further behind and my division wasn't going to go until 6:30pm, so I had to end up scratching so I would have time to pick up Goose. Picked him up, and brought both boys back home last night. They're happily grazing in the pasture this morning, I'm so glad they're home

We decided that Cash has been going well enough the past two weekends to earn a trip to Brownland next month, so PF and Lucky, we better plan a meetup !

Comment

• OMG, and JUSTIFY! I was showing during the race but came home and watched the recording. I cried like a little girl - what an incredible horse. I've always held the belief that they shouldn't race as two year olds, and Justify is making me feel like I may have a valid point How awesome to have two TC winners in the past few years. I just realized something, I saw AP at the Preakness and he went on to win the TC, and Lost saw Justify at the Preakness and he went on to win.....maybe we just always need a rerider to be at the Preakness for luck?!

Comment

• Sugar - I also cried watching the replay! Truth be told - I can't watch any of the big races live any more - I have to know everyone comes home safe before I can watch. (Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love racing, thoroughbreds are it for me - they are my breed of choice, moth to flame kind of thing . . .) But what a race, I couldn't believe he went wire to wire and then pulled away at the end . . . And how about Mike Smith?? Who says old guys can't ride?? I like the re-rider theory about Triple Crown winners!!

Congrats on another great show!! And on having both boys at home!

Sun - so sorry you've been so sick - sounds absolutely dreadful. Glad you are finally feeling better!

Lucky - thanks for the show report! Wow - lots going on there - I had no idea it was so diverse!

afm - Clinic sounded awesome! And what a great experience for Qunicy. Can't wait to see some pics!!

I know I've missed folks - I'll try to catch up some more later!

This weekend was my two lesson weekend - yay!

Saturday's lesson was really, really good. S set up the dreaded walk poles - Dodger's favorite - NOT! We hadn't done them in quite awhile, so we worked through them, on a 20 meter circle then would pick up trot and do a single trot pole behind, then trot the entire indoor, throw in canter work at both ends , really a mixed bag of lots of different stuff, all off lines.

Sunday's lesson started well - we did some more walk poles and trot and canter work to the right. Then started working to the left and Dodger decided he didn't have to listen to my outside rein, as in he didn't have to halt. So we worked on that. Worked on haunches out and he wasn't too happy about it, but we worked through it. Worked on backing up and he wasn't happy. . . can you see a pattern here???

Changed direction and worked haunches out, unhappy, but worked through it. Worked on backing up, wasn't happy, worked through it. Started some trot work and then . . . someone decided a hissy fit was in order and he took off . . . really??!! I'm trying to keep him on a 20 meter circle and S said - "put him into the wall" and I just couldn't quite make myself do it. I did stay calm and loose and I did get him stopped. But out came the lines - we did some trot work, some canter work and then we worked on putting him into the wall - so I'd have the tools, if needed, in the future. Granted, we did it from canter, to trot, to walk, but I got the idea. And I sure won't hesitate to do it, if I need to. And realistically that makes so much more sense that trying to get him stopped when he's winding up on a circle. Another tool in the toolbox . . . we both needed a shower after that lesson!

Comment

• I volunteer to go to the next Preakness! haha. Well, the Derby would be easier. So someone else may need to hit the Preakness.

Loved the race. I was up on my feet cheering, and when he crossed the finish line, I jumped up and down and hit my poor Zukey in the chin with my fist. Haa. Good thing he doesn't hold a grudge.

Sugar, PM'd you!

Anyone who is interested in donating, let me know because Sugar's post reminded me, I do have a new mailing address!! Thanks.

Will catch up with everyone soon. Busy Monday.
          My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• Suzie, I think the ribbons are basically just an announcement to please stay away from my horse. This is a GP jumper, so I'm sure they did a lot of training on him. Just my thoughts. Lots of those upper level horses have quirks. Part of what makes them so good at what they do, I think. And I think those super-talented, high-level horses are offered a little more leeway in that than is the average horse.

Comment

• LOL I didn't realise you were talking about a Grand Prix Horse. The names don't mean anything to me. From the FAL I have only just learned who Justify is.

I love this forum and that we are always learning. I now know what a ribbon in the forelock means. I wouldn't have been standing near him if I was in the ribbons or the judge!

I took your advice and stayed in bed yesterday. I didn't ride. I will go and give out hay and start packing for the lesson.

It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• We are ALL learning here.

Comment

• Hello all, I didn't fall off the face of the earth (or was pushed off by a cat ), just have been super busy.

Suzie- Stars seems to really enjoy his trail rides with his friends, I hope he brings that enthusiasm minus the buck to his lesson. I love that the random outdoor spooks come from kangaroos, for my rides it is deer and quail coveys. Be careful of your foot pain, I ignored mine for too long and ended up with a heel stress fracture. Be as good to yourself as you would to your horses. Horse people always call the vet sooner for their horses, and put off seeing the doctor for themselves.

PF - So glad you are off stall rest and back on all your horses. I pared down most of my horse stuff, but I do have a leftover pony sheet in good condition and some horse books. I have them set aside and will ask a few people at the barn if they have anything.

Tigre - Dodger must have thought he knew it all after his great lesson on Saturday. Way to go sitting chilly after his spook and adding another great new tool to your kit. Some days they just want to test out all their evasions, but I think your tool kit is bigger then Dodger's!

Sugar - Wow, the conditions at your show sound really tough. Good for you and Cash to keep working thru and put in some good trips. The boys must be happy to be back at your house munching together and what a happy sight to see out the window.

Lucky - It must have been like herding cats sometimes keeping up with the girls. What an interesting show to watch, I bet the girls were wide eyed.

Lost - Hope your trip to Upperville was great fun. I watched some of the Sunday morning classes and they were jumping in the fog. Hope your classes had no visual difficulties.

Sun - Ow so sorry you have been sick, hope it is all behind you.

AFM - Good for Quincy, figuring it out all by himself. I loved how you just asked him to do the most important thing - look and finally relax. And so much to see, so enjoyed your description of the clinic.

Milo and I have been gradually building up fitness at the trot. I use a stopwatch to keep track of the trot sets and to make sure we don't go over. At first he was just wobbling around the ring, but now I can ask him to really start to use himself for increasing periods. No butt cheek foam yet, but at least we are working up a sweat.

We have started to build in more transitions between gaits and walk/trot, his stifles are getting stronger. He is able to go out at night as well as the day and he has stopped demanding to be brought in when he gets bored. For a while I thought he had turned into one of my spoiled cats! Because he can finally go out enough he is off all his drugs, and I have my horse back. Next week he can have a quiet buddy, and I can add a tiny bit of canter the next week. I am also able to take him to the park for quiet trail rides. Much more fun to do trot sets outside the ring. The silver lining is that we both have so much more trust in each other, and I really appreciate how much he is the right horse for me.

Comment

• Trot- the girls weren't wide-eyed, but I was enough for the three of them it's officially my favorite spectator show, besides the Brownland GP closer to home. I lost count of the times I said "and wait til you see this one" to Jen. She's new to horse shows so it was really fun to share that with her, and Fab of course.

Sugar- I would love that. One of my PRN jobs is 15 minutes from Brownland. As long as it's not my Saturday to work, I'd love to cheer you on. Great job riding through challenges. I don't do well if the barns are far from the arena.

Tiger- Can you explain the "turn into the wall" thing and what it helps with? I know we will tip the nose to the wall/outside when asking for the canter, however I think that may be different than what you guys are doing.

I do have a question, since a few of you have mentioned it... what's the deal with butt foam? IME our guys get it when it's hot out and they've worked hard. Am I missing something?

Oh, I forgot, we also got to see Michael Tokaruk- he always has nice horses. He did a clinic a few years ago at the Equine Expo and he's so patient. And Faith Davis- I didn't realize til after that not only had we seen her at Brownland the weekend before, but I think I've read about her in some Chronicle articles too

Comment

• Lucky - That would be so fun! I'd love a re-rider meetup at Brownland We'll be showing the week of the 4th of July, FUN!!

From what my dressage trainer has said, if a horse is sweating more on their hindquarters, stifles, and in between their "cheeks" it just shows they're using their hind end correctly, you'd want to see more sweat there than their shoulders and neck, which would mean they're using their forehand to pull themselves along. Dressage people, correct me if I understood that incorrectly

Comment

• lucky - it's not really turn into the wall, it's more like ride into the wall!! It's a save your butt thing when your horse has decided their the boss and you have no brakes Logically speaking you could go in circles forever and try to get your horse to stop, as long as you have the room, the ring to youself and your horse doesn't attempt other tricks (bucking, getting faster and faster, etc) to get you off. So, instead you point them at the wall, keep your leg on - so they can't turn or evade and ask for a halt. They don't want to hit the wall, any more than you do. So they stop.

Sugar - that's the first I've heard that butt foam is related to correct use of the hind end. If that were the case, I would think Dodger would have had foam every time S lined him - because believe me that hind end was/is engaged! And that was not the case. Just as when I lesson, esp on lines, when I know he is using himself correctly, he is so fit - he is hardly sweaty - I, however, am dripping wet! Maybe it's a matter of, if they are going to work hard/long enough to sweat, or it's just that hot, you will see foam?

Trot - what a fantastic update on Milo!! YAY!!!!!!

Comment

• Sugar, on my first read of your post, I missed the part about Brownland!! I'm so very excited. I will come out to cheer you on, for sure. You'll just have to let me know as we get closer when you will be there, when I should come out, etc. Woohoo! My trainer will be there, too. And hey, even though you felt like you did terrible, sounds like you actually did quite well, so don't stress it too much. Good job on your placings.

Tiger, a wall can be your best friend in the indoor (not outside, I'm always afraid a brave one will jump out of the arena! I used to use the wall a lot on my first TB. Actually, here she is....around the 1:50 mark, haha!! The good thing is, once they realize they're going to the wall, they slow up quite a bit before you reach it. This horse was nice, but she was very big and very strong. Sometimes when jumping she didn't want to listen. (This is from WAY back..me on Chicago, DH on Dixie -- then we switch). I miss those days, haha. But I don't miss jumping in a crowded, narrow arena!) https://www.dropbox.com/s/9323t9367d...ndoor.mpg?dl=0

Good job, though, on getting through it all and making the naughty pony work! Not all days do they want to behave. P.S. Love the colorful horse tat.

Trot On, that would be awesome if you would be able to send ANYTHING. I truly appreciate it! Sounds like you and Milo are doing quite well. I'm happy for you. And adding the trail rides and longer rides will be great. Just a matter of time. Yay!

lucky, I think Faith rides with Christoph, too. She's a good little rider! (I haven't heard any science to butt foam, either!)

Hope to get some riding in tonight. If it doesn't rain. Need to work TBG. Katie's been doing well. I also want to do some dressage riding with Jazzy. I haven't been able to ride him too much lately since I have TBG and since DH is riding him.

Comment

• PF - I hear ya on not necessarily using the wall "tool" in an outdoor! I'm not sure Dodger would take the outdoor fence, but since he started his career as a hunter - lord knows what would happen

Cool video - gosh that's a tight space - and nice use of the wall!

Hope you get a ride in!!

I hope to be able to send you a few things for your auction . . .

Comment

• Sugar That show didn't sound like a lot of fun with crappy facilities and hot weather. Glad you were able to power thru and make the best of it. Yes, our weather has been crazy! So hot so early and it just keeps going. After the long cold winter we sure didn't need a long hot summer. It is so dry here and storms build up but go right around us, time after time.

Trot Good to hear from you! Great news on Milo's rehab. It probably seemed like forever, glad you can start having fun with him again. I'm sure he's so happy now that he can do more! If things stay on track he should be able to hunt this winter, right?

Tiger I imagine it will only take a couple of times of running him into the wall and then Dodger will give up that little game. They don't make it easy on us, for sure! Always coming up with some new way to push our buttons.

PF I love the bitd video! How long have you and Jerry been married/together? When is the dressage show you have targeted for Katie? I sent you all my extra stuff last year I think but I will ask around and see if anyone has suitable stuff to donate.

I thought I would share an exercise the NH clinician used that seems very effective. With your foot or a stick draw an X in the sand in a convenient place in the arena. Then stop your horse on the X and stand with loose reins. No wiggling around. It was amazing how many people couldn't do it at first, even from the walk. The broker horses then did it at the trot and a couple did it at the canter. Then he added another X at an angle, and then another one at a different angle. You either do a curved line to get from one to another or do a turn on the forehand or haunches to line up straight with the next one. It sounds so easy but is quite challenging at first. We think we are giving our horses clear directions but when you have to do something precise it shows how much we let slide. It seems like it would be beneficial for all horses and riders no matter what discipline. Plus it takes no equipment, so no moving stuff around or having things in the way for other riders. Also something to do when warming up and cooling down.

Comment

• afm - wall was very effective! Dodger was very much the gentlemen last night!!

Love the sound of that exercise - thanks for sharing!! Dodger is such a go horse - halt and wait is not his favorite thing - definitely something we need to work on. And going from one X to another - I can see how that would be very challenging.

Comment

• Tigre - You'd know better than I would! My dressage trainer has never really emphasized the butt foam, and I'd think that would depend more on how beefy a horses cheeks are in the first place. If they rub together when they move, I'd think they would get sweatier! I do know she's happy to see him sweating more on his hind end than his chest/shoulders/neck after a ride though. Who knows, could just be an old wives tale!

PF - Is that your dad narrating in that video?! I vaguely remember long ago you telling me how entertaining his videos were, and that one does not disappoint, so funny !! YAYAY!! Can't wait for our Brownland meetup!

AFM - That sounds like an awesome exercise for those antsy type of horses, it really is eye opening when you try to perform such simple sounding exercises and find them to be more challenging than anticipated. I rode in a clinic years ago and the clinician set a cone out and had us walk and trot straight towards it, then look at our track afterwards. Incredible how difficult it is to keep a horse truly straight! Yes, dry here too, although we did have a short storm blow through over the weekend. My grass is looking brown even with the irrigation running every other day. Maybe we need to do a rain dance?!

Rode both boys this morning at home. Cash just needed a light hack after the show but felt great. Goose learned SOOOOO much at the trainer! We had a great ride and I discovered he has an awesome walk-canter transition now! Before, I could barely canter him more than 3-4 strides but we went around the ring a couple of laps on each lead. I found I really love his canter too, he's super smooth and comfortable and stays uphill and balanced. He's going to be fun, I think!
                                  Last edited by SugarCubes; Jun. 12, 2018, 03:26 PM. Reason: Forgot my update!

Comment

• Sugar - it may seem counterintuitive but I believe studies have shown that horses that race at 2 ate actually less likely to break down. (Probably better suited to racing to begin begin with, in general, if they're ready early)

Tigre - I'm glad you're ok after the boltand were able to get some good work out of him but thats so scary! I've resorted to turning into the wall but it is scary.

Sweat between the hind legs is not necessaily because of proper work. Nervous, inverted horses get lathered up between their legs too, or just on a hot day. I think it's genetic more than anything.

Our Oregon advebtures are off to a good start! Cupid handled the trailer ride well, ate most of the way. He is settling in and was very good on a 2 hour trail ride yesterday. I'll put up some pictures but need to figure out how to resize them first.
                                    http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Trot on that is so exciting.

Let's take Stars as an example. He has very fat butt cheeks.You have to pull them apart for them not to touch. As Tigre said I would have thought he is working on the lunge. He is forward, he is tracking up. His head is vertical, his poll is the highest, he looks great. At the moment he has his winter coat. Alas now his neck is brown so I cannot even pretend I am riding a black horse.

It is mega cold in the mornings.(For us, you probably think warm!!!!!) Stars is a hot horse and sweats easily. He has not sweated under the saddle or the girth or between his butt cheeks after being lunged and working I side reins. When I get on and ride. I can walk, trot and canter. If not forward. No butt foam. Although by then I do have sweat under the saddle and girth.

Now if I can get him forward and by that I mean not faster. I mean the next step up - we have butt foam. Although I have not done different exercises and to the lay person he doesn't look any different I can feel it. I know it. It makes me smile and he has butt foam. I was not looking for it the first day. I was untacking and walked behind him and saw it when the rest of him except the saddle had no sweat. I am not talking about a lather of white that you see in a sweaty horse from a rein rubbing on the neck or thighs rubbing together. I am talking about soft peaks like when egg whites have been beaten.

Going into the wall is fine when there is a wall. Without a wall you have to 'drop your weight' which has nothing to do with how much you weigh.

When Franz Mairinger was in the SRS he had to work a horse in a field because of a strangles outbreak. A freight train came and that horse took off. Galloping all over the place. Just imagine all those dressage muscles working against you! This was a very experienced rider on a panicked stallion.

The next day the exact same thing happened with his Master there. The Master kept calling out. "You are holding him too much. You are holding him too much."

They swapped. The Master sank down into that saddle. The stallion tried to take off. He tried to go. All he could muster was a canter on the spot. He could not go one step forward without the Master's seat saying he could. The Master dropped the rein on the neck and said. "See. I told you. You were holding him too much."
                                      Last edited by SuzieQNutter; Jun. 12, 2018, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• So my recap for yesterday. Sorry this is going to be long!!! But I am so happy.

OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. YYYAAAAYYYYY. I can not tell you how excited I am.

First of all when I have been taking Sim and Dodge. Stars is always up at the float. I tell him no. Naughty injured horses aren't allowed to come. Sim disappears and doesn't want to go.

So this time Stars was happy that he got to go and Sim was happy that he didn't have to go.

I took the float out our front gate so we didn't have to deal with Sim if he came up. We also didn't have to deal with driving on our driveway which is getting bad. I put him in untied with the divider tied across and put the ramp up and tied afterwards.

The roads are so bad. We have to go over a cattle grid. The float bumps over lumps in the road on the way. I am a nervous wreck. I try driving in the middle of the road but of course I have to drive on the left hand side of the road when other vehicles are oncoming and so many of them are trucks. Sigh.

This is the first time to float him to Dalson Park after finding him down under Sim. I don't want to look, I feel him move his feet occasionally so I know that he is still up.

We arrive and he is still up. I open gates, go in and close them. I take him off the float and he.......

is happy. There is no sweat. He is not stressed at all.

I tack him up. I have left my side reins at home. The lining had come off my long rubber boot and it won't go on. I can walk in it I hope to not have to ride in it like that and we enter the arena.

I greet my instructor and ask if I can borrow 4 pieces of baling twine and some talcum powder. Yes to the baling twine. No he has no talcom powder.

I explain my boot predicament and he said what I need is a shopping bag.

He comments on how handsome Stars is. I said yes he was advertised as that and everyone says that but I haven't figured out why. It must be the proportion of his face or how far his ears is from his eyes or sonething like that.

He said it is more than that. He has a lovely length of rein. His body is in proportion. It is where his muscles are etc.

I start warming Stars up on the lunge. I then use the baling twine to make side reins and lunge him again. I am not bias. honest. But I thought he looked fantastic.

My instructor had me ask for trot and then ask for canter again repeatedly. I reminded him that I did this excercise on Stars after a successful lesson on a school horse and it only made him angry. He said that then it was good to start it on the lunge. So I did that both ways with and without the baling twine.

I went over and put my toe in the corner of the shopping bag and OMG the boot went on so easily. Even easier than with the lining. In 3 weeks time Coles is stopping the use of plastic shopping bags! Typical!

I tell him about the bucking and that it worries me because he is choosing to do it rather than doing it as a reaction and he can work today with no mercy.

He is forward from the get go with not being at home.

He has me do downward transitions and I get the comment of good instead of having to do them over and over again on Sim. He asks me to leg yield from the 3/4 line out and he says good. Sim always has to do it again. He says to leg yield from the 3/4 line in to the track. He says good.

We go on a 20m circle at B and he has me increase the trot with my inside leg and canter. His comment is that he is obedient.

He said this is the horse I should be riding. This is the horse he wants to see me on. This is the horse that will be able to take the weight behind. This horse will go up through the levels.

Big grin.

I asked how many outside horse could have worked like that after 3 weeks work and with the building of the big town houses going on just across the road and in the last canter circles a nail gun was being used.

He said he was quite impressed!!

Lets see how many complaints come in about the horses once the town houses are built and people move in. Sigh.

He asked if I was bringing Stars next week. I said yes - if the bugger can stay uninjured and sound!

So it is warm outside now. I will go and take everyone's rugs off. Lunge. Take Stars out and then ride in the arena.

Then I will go to work. Different work but I will have to walk a bit. My foot is feeling a lot better with the rest I have had. Honest.

Comment

• Sugar- of course I'm out of town July 4th Next time, I'm there for sure.

PF- yes, Faith does ride with Christoph. I just found them on Instagram and had big fun looking at all the pics. Talk about drool-worthy horses

Comment

Working...
                                          X