Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TC- congrats on a great show- I prefer to get to shows early to work myself down, I commend you for rolling with it. Cupid clearly trusts you and was his awesome self.

Tiger- relaxation, sounds so easy but it's one of the hardest things to do ever. True confession= I was so tense on MB that I sang Row, Row and the Alphabet song for no less than 10 minutes- as we were going.

Yeah, for those that mentioned MB and "that face". She's super cute and she knows it. She loves getting her picture taken and also being fussed over. I groomed her really well and brushed her mane and tail and she was almost asleep. Once we get her leading manners she will be pretty awesome. She goes in such different contact than I'm used to. Fab mentioned trying a hackamore- never ridden in one. Any tips?

Comment

Well, I've now had two decent "dressagey" rides on the big guy. I am planning to work slowly and work on conditioning, etc. We only did a short canter and the rest walk trot, but he was decent.

Today is quite a bit cooler than the last two days. Will still be in the 40s though, so I'll try to tack up again today. I need to get Chico out, too.
      My hopeful road to the 2021 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

Cupid - Congrats again on a great show! Out of curiosity, where in the Bay Area are you guys? Where do you ride?

Comment

TC - congrats on sticking with the plan and not letting the car hiccup throw you off. I'm sure it would me! Espcecially that early in the morning, I don't do early morning well in general

PF - glad you've gotten some nice rides in. I think you'll really get to know TBG through dressage work and can explore others things further down the road. After all, flatwork is the basis for all we do!

Tiger - I'm really intrigued by your trainers use of long lining. I've not had much exposure to it, other than one of my early trainers doing some when I had no idea what I was watching! Tension, we all do it knowingly or not. When my trainer tells me to shrug my shoulders or shake my arms I know the tension is there (but hadn't felt it). I also think when she has me ride with "driving reins" it's not just to have me use my legs more but to also make sure my hands are on either side of the neck. I tend to "steer" especially going to the right, my left hand gets flat and crosses over. I'm better about feeling that.

Trot - what excellent advice to Labellavita! And good for all of us to hear as I think we get complacent with how we handle our own horses. We should always use best practices. Thank you!

Lucky - well done you! I loved how you "owned the moment" and went on from there! Next time you're feeling a little unsure I hope you remember that and know you've got this!

I forgot to tell you I had another super lesson on Sat.! Trainer is pushing me a little each time and I'm loving it! Just did my Tues. light hack - got it in before the thunderstorms arrive. And, I've got to say it: my Eagles are going to the Super Bowl!! Fly Eagles, Fly

Comment

PF - Congrats on another good ride on the big guy! You are so wise to be taking this approach with him - I have a feeling it will pay off big time later

lost - We are so lucky to have a trainer that actually knows how to do it - it really is becoming a lost art! And it really does help a horse learn to carry itself without the interference of a rider, etc. How valuable is that for a young horse? Or a horse, like mine, that never learned the correct way? Congrats on your Eagles!!

I worked on relaxing in the saddle last night . . . despite the fact that it was rainy and windy and noisy in the indoor and no one was turned out because it rained all day.

We did mostly walk work (I'm not crazy afterall!) and I really concentrated on keeping my seat soft and relaxed. Turns on the forehand, leg yields, then ventured down to the far end, left hand on my thigh to some walk poles that were set up. Dodger is not always a fan of that end of the indoor. I knew I'd start to tense up - so I did the opposite and opened my thighs - his head came down and over the poles we went - easy peasy. Started to circle to go over again and something startled him and he wanted to bolt - opened up, instead of clamping down, he came right back to me and back over the poles we went. We went back and forth several more times, changed direction and then headed back to the other end. To finish off I tried a little bit of shoulder fore - to test how relaxed I still was - super easy. Needless to say, I was thrilled! But boy, I really, really had to think about staying relaxed.

Comment

Whew! I just caught up on a lot of posts!

SQ: Oh man you've been through a lot recently. I am so glad for you that your kiddos are okay. Your work situation is an interesting conundrum. I'm glad you caught a break with those coveralls though! Saves a lot of stress and arguing!

PF: Glad you got good rides in while it's warm!

lost: Yay for a super lesson!! Also your celebrity sightings are AWESOME.

labellavita: Have you talked to your trainer or decided on whether or not you'll stay at this place?

lucky: You're so brave! I'm a big fan of speaking up when you're uncomfortable, and glad it helped you progress through the lesson.

skr: Good luck with your lessons this week. That's a lot of riding! But it's pretty awesome that you can see improvement so quickly with three/week.

Faye: How's that covered arena going? Exciting that you get to ride in a new arena, but lordy I can't imaging how exhausting it must be to deal with the construction.

vj: How are Kohl's eyes doing? Did you find out what could be causing the issues?

We've had the nuttiest weather! We had an ice storm. And ICE. STORM. A week ago. This is Houston. What the heck is going on? We are not made for this weather. I ended up calling in, since I have to drive over bridges and overpasses to get to work. So the DH and I finally took down our Christmas decor and he slipped on ice in our driveway taking the poor, dead tree out. That was a first for him. **crying** It was pretty funny, since he righted himself pretty quickly. Also, apparently we haven't had enough, because we decided to go skiing in March. We're dying to get a ski trip in, esp since we're trying to have a kid and want to do it before we're a little bogged down with a kiddo.

Work has been okay so far. It's just been steady, although we had an incident this weekend with a technician that I'm really hoping gets addressed quickly. I've been debating on whether or not I should apply for this new supervisor position. I've pretty much decided against it. It's basically all admin work and no patient care, which is why I got into this work to begin with. So I'm sticking out the lead role, esp since we're adding more of me. Haven't cried recently over work and that's a big win for me!

My last few lessons have been pretty good! I rode twice the week before last to make up a lesson and it was mostly the same exercise. Basically a mini course over a cavaletti. It was pretty challenging on Nola, but it went well. I did a nice warm up with a lot of canter trot transitions and that was really fun! This last week was a no jumping at all lesson. I rolled an ankle at work earlier in the week so my ankles were a mess. We did a lot of no stirrup sitting trot and holy cow, my thighs were on fire! I FINALLY got a nice, collected canter on Nola. We worked really hard on sitting tall and lengthening my leg and it helped a lot! My biggest issue was at the no stirrup trot, she kept speeding up on the long side of the arena and it was really challenging to slow her down. My trainer said that she needed a good stern ride again since she's young and stubborn. I have another lesson this Thursday to make up for the coming weekend that they have an IEA show. I'm going to help them out on Sunday at the show since they are hosting. Should be fun!

Saturday, myself and a few work friends are going to a 90s themed bar crawl. We went to the last one and it was awesome, so we're going all out this time. I'm on the hunt for some overalls and a fanny pack and one of the girls bought a power rangers costume. DDD
              -April W.

Comment

Lost - Maybe you'll find yourself in the showring by the end of the season

Tigre - That's so awesome, I'm so happy for you! I think this is going to be a big year for you & Dodger!

SKR - I sent you a PM.

Cupid got yesterday off, and today we did an easy ride popping over a tiny crossrail a few times at the end, he deserves a little fun!
                http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

Lab Another reason to look for another place is if they only have one horse you can ride what happens when that horse is lame. They ALL go lame!!!

Tigre Aahhhhh sitting on a horse. The horse knows more about you when you sit down than you know about them. A good rider can sit on any horse. A bad rider cannot sit on any horse!!!!!! Once you master that on Dodger you will be able to do it on any horse. LOL Once you have mastered walk. You have to start again with trot and then start again with canter, but it is so worth it.

OMG that photo. That is where I tell people to just stand back and look at your horse. If you are riding correctly you will see it. There I see a happy, well educated, correctly ridden horse. Just looking at that horse you know how well the rider can ride and it is so many levels above me. I dream of having a photo of one of my horses looking like that.

It is so difficult though. Life gets in the way. Lameness gets in the wzy. Work gets in the way. Illness gets in the way. Sigh I always feel like I am bringing horses into woek and dont actually have them in work.
                  That is not the first time I have seen a good rider saying they like a hot horse. A hot horse is fine for a rider like Charlotte. But us a low level riders staying safe comes first. Twiggy is hot. She is not for hubby.

My lesson with my 2 horses yesterday. My how time flies. It is a while since he saw them and I did get good comments instead of me feeling like everything I am doing is is wrong! He said Sim's rhythm and tempo was great which is something I have never heard before.

I have been practicing my homework. Last week the group lesson was back. I rode Ben. Ben tripped about 11 times.

Yesterday Sim tripped. ARGH about 5 times. I know you can't chastise them as they don't do it on purpose. But honestly pick up youe feet

Then I was told it was actually my fault. I have gone up a level!!!!! The horses have not yet. So I am not giving like I used to and they are not used to it in the seat of the step and so they trip. When they get used to it they will not trip.

So my homework is my hands. Ride on the 2nd notch which I have been doing with Sim and Dodge for 2 weeks now. Keep my elbows by my side and still give but only give one cm not 30cm. I hope he was exaggerating when he said that!
                  It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Tiger- I just love your descriptions about relaxing, it's exactly what I do (before) and how I need to do (the relaxing part). Glad you had such a good ride in a challenging environment.

Lost- I appreciate your kind words. I also am rooting for the Eagles, I'm ready for someone besides the Patriots to hoist the trophy.

HJ- I hate ice. Here in Nashville we get ice more than snow and it's rough. I wish you lived closer, I have two fanny packs I love them. One is neon yellow and one is a more sensible blue. Neon was found in MIL attic, where it has resided since at least the 70s.

I'm contemplating asking Fab if I can canter on Princess during my lesson on Saturday. Bravery jingles would be appreciated.

Comment

Lucky - Lots of jingles coming your way; first jingles for Fab during this tough week. Next jingles for Pony that she is improving and just needs a bit more pampering time, and finally cantering jingles for you. I know you will canter MB, if not this week then the moon and the stars will align and it will be next week. What a great lesson you had on MB, I loved how you were able to let go of your tension and keep going. Leading her, you were able to be twice your size (at least figuratively) and not let her get away with a thing, even when she was pulling out her tricks from her "pony bag 'O Naughtiness". Well done you!

Paradox - Yay for good rides on TBG, you guys are going to have fun with dressage. We had warm wet weather today, and when I left the BM was going around taking pics for an impromptu 'dirtiest horse contest'. Fortunately my horse wasn't a contender. I so agree that riding with tension is a habit. We often try so hard for the correct position that it ends up as tension. Really something to think about.

Austen - Shameless brag absolutely appropriate, great ribbon for DD in good (and huge) company. And whoop for Calvin showing off his talent with the big guns. Good week for your guys. You may be in the FLA sun, but I love how your trainer is not taking a vacay with your riding goals. Yay for increasingly challenging lessons.

Cupid - Wow, what a great show report! First of all GOOD FOR YOU in thinking about your trainer and not letting her blow up her engine. Then the dawn truck and trailer switch to scramble for the last class. Vehicle issues make me crazy, good for your Zen attitude that fed right on over to Cupid. All of your excursions have helped him get to this point, what a good boy!! He is getting to be such a big boy. That was a real test, and not just in the dressage ring.

Tiger - Thank you for such thought provoking posts on riding with tension, something we all need to think about. I loved hearing how Dodger so powerfully relaxed to your body changes. You are so right that it is not easy, I am hoping as I become more aware it will become easier with repetition. I could see the difference in my jumping the school pony, how much tension I am holding when I jump Milo, something for me to work on.

Labellavita - Hope things are going well for you in your riding.

Suzie - Ohh, nice complement for you and Sims from your trainers. That is so spot on about life getting in the way of our training goals. Or perhaps the horses tendency toward self destruction, LOL. I am sure horses are on this earth to teach us patience and humility. I am glad Charlotte likes her hot horses, I will stick with my sensible one.

HJ- Whew, good for you on the no stirrup lesson. They are good for us no doubt, but can be soo painful. The collected canter on Nola sounds very nice, such a good feeling when they get it right. Hope you have fun working the IEA show, it really takes an army of volunteers to put them on. I found ours lots of fun and interesting. Hope hubby is not too sore from his icy slip - I HATE ice storms.

SKR - I really like it that you are rotating thru the program horses. It is so easy for trainers to get in a rut and assign the same horses over again and not think out of the box. It sounds like they are trying to find out what is a good fit for you and challenges as you need them.

Thank you guys for all your jingles for Milo, I think that they have worked! He is sound coming off his Equioxx, and I have been given the go ahead to start light walk and trot work this week, and if he stays happy back into full work next week. I am not going to rush things, between the snow and his owwee he has had a couple week vacation. I will put off hunting for a bit till I regain fitness at home. If we go back to lameness I will haul to the clinic for further diagnostics, but the vet was comfortable with letting him start slowly back to work. Funny, how we can bruise or sprain something and brush it off. If it is the horse we are contemplating full body scans for them!!

This week I will be taking Charlotte's advice and concentrating on the quality of our walk/trot transitions and corners. Plus, I can ride the pony again in my lesson.

Comment

if you remember, we were in Lexington for a meeting last month and we met with TBG's bloodstock agent, the guy who managed him. He pulled up a race on his laptop and let us film it. It's in the middle of a meeting/party, so you can hear talking, but it's kind of fun to see your horse race. He is the horse with a jockey in pink and a yellow helmet. I think he is wearing number 8. https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8kha3759v...81537.mp4?dl=0
                        Last edited by ParadoxFarm; Jun. 9, 2019, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Paradox - what a great stretch run! He look like he was out of the race but great come-from-behind victory! I watched the video of Cupid's win, he was headed at the stretch and fought back to win so I was very proud of him. And barely recognized him, lol.
                          http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

That's cool, TC! And yeah, here I thought TBG didn't know how to go forward, haha. So it really IS all me.

Comment

PF- Way to hang with TBG, spooks are no fun,

Forgot to mention, MB spooked when I was on her, small canter spin, and I stuck it (that was right around my freakout time). I flashed back to all those spooks on Pony at The Barnyard and it made me braver. Funny how some scary rides are awful in the moment, then when you have perspective, it makes other rides no big deal.

I'm for sure on Princess Saturday. The only other thing I have to get over with MB is the fact that kids ride her and she's fine. Like little kids. She is a top of the line medium after all. Reminds me of Seinfeld, when Kramer took karate and made some comment about it not being about size but ability level, since he was with all young kids.

Had a rough day at work- learned to be super assertive, hopefully it will carry over. I think I need to re-name Princess as The ThighMaster. I'm working on a new nickname for her- Princess just doesn't really suit her- it's too prissy for how mellow she is. She likes nothing better than to play in the mud. I will get some pics and I would love name ideas (for on here anyway)

Comment

Well I am sore. Especially the middle finger on my right hand and that finger doesn't even hold the rein. My lower leg, my shoulders, my back. A massage would be wonderful.

It must be from the tripping. ARGH. Ben only tripped once today and it was not a bad one, but he learns really fast. I am afraid Sim might not learn as quickly and he is a much bigger horse and the trips were a lot worse for me. I hope he does.

Ben is such a good boy. When he gets right lead canter he will be the perfect horse. It was so humid today. After warm up we did leg yield from the 3/4 line to the outside track. There are now 3 of us in this class. A lot better than last week when there were 7 in a 20m x 40m arena.

Then leg yield out and canter in the first corner. So we ended up with all 3 of us cantering. To the left good. Poor Ben he was sweat from head to toe, so we walked quite a few laps.

To the right, incorrect then a flying change and surged. We went around the arena quite a few times which gave me time to think of how I should be riding. What each part of my body should be doing and then do it individuully and then add them together. And it worked!

We then double hosed them as they were all sweating. My hair was wet. I was dripping. I changed clothes but so wish there was a shower there.

It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

lucky - sending bravery jingles your way - you CAN canter on Saturday!! Also jingles and ((hugs)) for Fab - what a tough year Fab has had.

Sorry about your day - hope your evenig was better!!!

Reflecting on why MB is better for kids - and this happens all the time with horses - when you think about - and this plays into our recent conversations - kids usually don't lug around any tension.

trot - more jingles for Milo! Sounds like you have a great plan in place.

PF - Sorry about your ride but, what an AWESOME video!!! And nice way to stick the spooks!

Suzie - sounds like a challenging lesson! I know you are so over your hot weather - but, it sounds like heaven to me!

So, I had a tear inducing, gold medal ride last night Found my seat and kept it the whole ride - it was like magic - and culminated with a shoulder fore at sitting trot that felt just like it did on lines on Sunday. We were so connected - just the lightest touch, just a shift in weight - shoulder fore - it was incredible.

I will also confess that I have a "bridle" problem - found this at my local consignment store and could not pass on it. It's supposed to be a Prestige, but it's not marked anywhere, it is lovely and soft and I think quite becoming on Dodger and it was a real bargain - oh, although it doesn't show, it has the most unusual tab detail at the end of each strap. I'll try to get a better picture this weekend in the daylight of both the bridle and the detail.
                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0466.jpg Views:	3 Size:	6.8 KB ID:	10001512
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Not sure what the heck is going on with the photos - sorry!! Tried to edit and then they all disappeared . . .

Comment

Tiger, SO SO happy for your excellent ride!! You deserve it with all the hard work you have been doing with your boy. Yay! And lovely bridle. Love those bargains. It does look nice on the handsome boy.

lucky, hope you have a better day today! Hugs.

Trot, glad Milo is feeling better. Continued jingles.

HJ have fun Saturday with the girls!

Austen, hope you're have a good time in FL. Keep us posted on your ponies!

Comment

Okay, I uploaded the CUBE video from my ride last night. I found my spook moment and clipped it, then zoomed and cropped.
                                        Last edited by ParadoxFarm; Jun. 9, 2019, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Nice stick PF!!! WOW, I wonder what that was all about! Silly pony is right!

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X