Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

1539 Hatchaway Bridge Road 100

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In case any of you missed this in the sidebar, I thought you might like to read this especially well-written and very applicable article. I think we should make the author an honorary member of our group.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...-horse-showing
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Dewey, thanks for the link! I loved her article. She would definitely fit right in with this group. I liked this line, " In short, I counted six strides in the practice line, my horse counted seven, and I left without him."
      My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• OMG Bitsa What a keeper and believe me when I say she will remember being taken out of school and a day like that forever and with love for you.

I have never forgiven my Mum for making me go to school the day Pepper arrived!!!

That pony is adorable and so well trained. I want to ride him as well. Does it matter that my legs would come down past his knees?

No fair! You said you worked out how to keep your hands still, then you didn't give us the secret. Did it have something to do with your elbows or something else?

It is called an equissage and I put a link to Sim wearing it in my last post which is on page 541. Down the bottom. I think it is the 2nd last post.

I never had a lesson on jumping at an angle but did so in some courses to save time.

I started off so good yesterday. I rose early and put the equissage on Sim. Then I put it on Bobby while Hubby was tacking Sim.

Hubby lunged Sim and then left early to pick up something for the work on the weekend and I rode Sim.

This time I persevered with asking for the canter while sitting on him and not just using a voice command. He finds it so hard. He turns himself inside out and tries everything but just doing it. He will slow down, do funny things with his legs and his back. At least this time I didn't get thrown out of the saddle.

4 times he went into canter on the incorrect lead. I then stopped asking everything, let him canter, said incorrect, and asked for trot and started asking again for the correct lead in canter. It took a long time. I ended up doing many circles and going around the outside of the arena. Eventually when he did it. He didn't have any contortions and it was easy. But he was only able to do about 6 strides and I could feel it was hard for him. He was praised allowed to walk and I dismounted as that is really the biggest reward you can give them.

Before that I did a bit of sitting trot and 10 metre circles. I haven't done any since he told me he didn't like sitting trot and before we got the equissage.

Then I asked for a bit of shoulder-in in sitting trot. I did try the other day in rising trot but he just told me we do this in walk. I did manage to keep a trot yesterday.

Then I drove to Pilates. I haven't done it for 2 weeks with the new job. My tummy didn't shake which was good. I bought a new mat for home and as of yet it is still in its plastic!

That's when I stopped being good. I didn't go and do Bobby. It was hot so I came inside and ate instead.

My 75 yo friend rang and asked me to come and have a look at her computer. She was offered a free upgrade to Windows 10 and took it and now can't use her computer. She also promised me chocolate cake!

So I went there instead.

I got her computer going but the modem kept going offline, so I came home to ride Bobby. My nice team leader from the new job rang and told me to email the boss with my experiences so I did that. Now it is getting late. I haven't feed anyone or raked the arena or ridden Bobby or equissaged Twiggy.

No Hubby home as he has gone to visit his dad. I put Bobby in the paddock around the arena and feed out round bales to the cattle. By the time I feed out the last round bale to the weaners it is dark.

I put Davey away and grab a mobile phone for a torch.

Taking Bobby down to his paddock with Sim out is something I do most days. .......

At the gate I tell Sim to back by waving my finger side to side and saying back. He comes forward again. This time I put my hand on his muzzle and say back. Next he is forward again. This time I tap him on the muzzle and say back. I bring Bobby through the gate and. ........

Sim is too close, Bobby jumps on him. Not like an adult horse attacking...more like when a foal jumps on his mum and is playing.

Sim goes forward away from me, which takes Bobby too. I let go of the lead rope. Both horses are in trot and heading up the driveway with the stallion next door at the fence and trotting as well.

GREAT......NOT!

I call them and Sim turns and comes back to me. Bobby turns also but trots past on the other side of Sim. The lead rope is over his neck, so he is unhindered. I call again and thankfully this time he comes to me.

He is a bit lively. I ask for halt and then move him to the other side of the driveway and he leads calmly back to his paddock. Sim follows as usual.

I had already put hay out for then so after closing the gate, I visited with Sim and asked him if he was okay. It didnt seem like a bad jump on him. It seemed actually in slow motion and light. If you can call a 16.1hh horse landing on you light!

Oh well if he has any stiffness or anything the equissage should help this morning.
        It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• BITSA, the pony is adorable! How exciting that you found something so suitable nearby! By the way, I don't think I ever posted about the last set of pics you posted of DD and her saintly pony. They were just beautiful. And huge congrats on your own lightbulb moment with your hands! A ReRider triumph!
          I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Just jumping in - 'cause I just can't seem to keep up! Thanks everyone for the kind words re: my kitty. She sure is missed, but I know I made the right decision.

Had a wonderful lesson/ride on Dodger last Saturday - we didn't push for much, he was on light work until last Tuesday. Actually rode him sidesaddle on Sunday - it was early and quiet and he was quite good - just walk/trot.

Rode on Monday and Tuesday and he was awful - truly awful - giraffe, no bend - WTH?! Thought maybe it was me - nope same for trainer yesterday. Very frustrated - maybe stifle does need to be done. Farrier was out mid-morning, I rode last night - my lovely horse was back. And it's not like he was overdue - we were right at the 4 wk mark. We'll see how he goes the rest of the week. Horses . . .

Happy riding everyone - thank goodness tomorrow is Friday - it's been a long week!
            http://fromdressagehorsetocowpony.blogspot.com/

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

• Suzie, that pic of Sim shows a very good boy.

Dewey, I forgot to mention when you mentioned seeing your pink jacket hanging, I actually bid on and won your green vest! haha. So if you see me in a picture of a green vest, it was yours. The rest of your items went to good new homes.

And, again, ALL, thank you for your kind words regarding the St. Jude event. I appreciate it. (I'm glad it's done for the year, though!)

Comment

• Tiger, they sure keep you guessing, don't they? Sheesh. Well, glad you did get some nice rides in, and I think it's SO cool you can ride side saddle! That's awesome.

Comment

• Sun Feel better! I think I've got the same dumb cold right now....it must be the weather change!

Suzie Great job staying patient and working with Sim until he picked up the correct lead! I completely agree that the best reward you can give them when they are good is to dismount and be done riding! Hopefully he's been thinking all night about what he learned yesterday and will pick up the correct lead for you today!

PF First of all, I'm so happy the St. Jude's ride went so well! It sounds like it just gets better and bigger every year - well done! I'm glad to hear your back is feeling better too, now if that disc can just stay happy and healthy and not flare up again, that would be great! And YAY for the show on the 21st! It's such good motivation to have a show or clinic on the calendar to keep you riding and meeting your goals!

TC Jingles for Cupid...hopefully you're right and it's just growing pains, keep us posted! How fun that you and Aqua are at the same barn now, what a small world

VJ Such great news that both of you are loving the saddle...that was quite a gamble, I'm so happy it worked out so well for you! Have a great lesson tonight, hopefully mother nature is kind to you and lets you have a little longer fall before dumping mountains of snow on you!

Bitsa SQUEEEE!!!! That pony is ADORABLE! Sending positive vibes that the PPE goes great tomorrow. DD looks great on her too, I bet she is SO excited, although I understand the sad feelings about having to lease out her current perfect pony! And YAY for you and your lightbulb moment! What was it, btw?!? You can't leave us hanging like that

Aqua I'm a little jealous you and TC are at the same barn now, how fun is that?!? I'm glad M is settling in and enjoying his new digs! Will you be riding with the same trainer as TC?

Faye Welcome home! How awesome that you rode in London, what an experience that must have been!

Well, I've been super busy with the barn, I have all of the stalls and tack room doors stained now and it looks beautiful I've been meeting with electricians, plumbers, and vinyl siding installers all week which is a stressful and not very fun ordeal, if I'm being honest :/ But, the bright side is it will all hopefully be finished soon and I can move Cash home! I'll take some updated barn pics tomorrow for you guys!

Lessons have been okay, my trainer has a weird little exercise set this week which is three bounces down the centerline, then from the third bounce you either veer left or right to a 3 stride bending line then continue on with a normal inside, outside hunter course. The three comes up really fast after the last bounce so you really have to balance between the second and third bounce or you'll blow past your distance to the bending. The first time we attempted it was laughable..thankfully it was set low because Cash pretty much climbed over it and my trainer said "You can't just expect him to know where he's going and to jump when your laying on his neck"...yeah, it was one of THOSE days Thankfully we figured it out after that haha!

I do love that my trainer sets such challenging exercises at home, and yes bitsa we slice jumps all.the.time. as part of our warmup. But you know what, there is nothing at a show that would ever make me feel like "OMG I can't do this!" because we've seen it all before at home! That being said, we definitely have some entertaining/ugly lessons trying to conquer all of these tricky courses!

Comment

• Hahaha--I'm glad you got the green vest, PF. I bought it for DD because she had a similar one that she loved and wore all the time. I thought she would like to have two. But she didn't like the green one as well and never wore it much. I can't wear it myself as I wear a safety vest. So I'm glad you got it and will enjoy it.

Comment

• Bitsa - hoping all goes well with the PPE on the pony. Your DD is a lovely rider and they make a very cute pair! Congrats on the "aha" moment! They don't come easily but when they do it's quite a feeling.

Sun - hope you're feeling better! When I'm feeling yucky a run or a ride always makes me feel better for an hour or so (adrenaline?). I generally feel yucky again later but I'm usually glad I got out and did something.

Tiger and Cupid - sorry your boys have been NQR. I really wish they could tell us what's going on some times, especially when it's like Dodger - odd one day, great the next.

Dewey - that was a great article, she would definitely fit right in with us! I always say my number one goal for showing is to get from point A to point B eight times! Which was always a good goal except for the one time my trainer pointed out there were nine fences on course.

PF - good for you for getting to the gym! Just don't over do and protect your back. We want you ready to show in Nov.!

I had two "character building" lessons this week. Had to ride in the indoor because of the rain and while our indoor is huge and beautiful Sheldon can be distracted by what he can see thru the large doors at the corners and ends so I was already in "defensive riding" mode then my trainer had me hold my reins driving style which, to me, is even more like riding hands free than bridging my reins! Sure did force me to use my legs more, they felt like jello most of the afternoon. Then today when I went in for my lesson the other trainer was longeing (which we're really not supposed to do in the indoor but...) She did ask if I minded and assured me the horse was "pretty quiet". I figured - we'll see! Well, the horse was quiet enough but her dog! Whenever she went to encourage the horse with the longe whip, he would bark! And it sort of echoes in the indoor. And did I mention it was still raining and the temperature dropped 20 degrees from yesterday?? My trainer had me doing lots of transitions and more sitting trot than I've done in a while. Sheldon and I kept it together so I was pretty happy. Not the best lesson ever but a feeling of accomplishment for sure. No riding this weekend, going away with DH for a belated anniversary celebration. Hope you all have great rides!

Comment

• So, I am not really sure how I arrived at the aha moment with my hands, and it has yet to translate to jumping. But when flatting I just make sure my stick is in the right place on my thigh and then let my arms be almost straight and limp. That's it. I also practice when not riding of having hold of something in my hands but letting my arms be loose (like a gorilla, yes, I am sure I look like a loon in my office).

Thanks for all the feedback on the pony. I know I am biased...but they are cute together, right???!!! Assuming all goes well tomorrow "Lola" will be part of the family!

Comment

• Sugar - so exciting that the barn is almost ready!! I meant to share this picture, yes my trainer does get pretty creative! http://www.taysidehorse.com/uploads/...18345_orig.jpg
                          http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• TC what a gorgeous photo!

BITSA I give hubby 2 whips and tell him to put then on his thighs and keep them in the same spot.

Austin It is so hard when you start with riding defensively isn't it? And I so wish people would leave their dogs at home.

Sun Sim did go off on both leads today the first time I asked without using my voice and there was no humping with his back or mucking around with his legs. I praised and walked him both times and only asked once each. His head is still not right but baby steps.

I equissaged both Sim and Bobby and it does have a timber and switches itself off. I didn't get to rode Bobby again. I came home from the Salvos and fell asleep.

I also have only put it on Twiggy once. So slack.

We are going back to Dalson Park to work on the retaining wall after going to a garage sale that says it has some horsey stuff at 7am.
                            It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Training Cupid View Post
                              Sugar - so exciting that the barn is almost ready!! I meant to share this picture, yes my trainer does get pretty creative! http://www.taysidehorse.com/uploads/...18345_orig.jpg
                              Haha that's awesome! Although I would totally pee my pants if asked to jump that !

Comment

• Originally posted by SugarCubes View Post
                                Haha that's awesome! Although I would totally pee my pants if asked to jump that !
                                Me too! I can handle one of the benches, if you disguise it with standards on each side and a jump rail over it.

Comment

• I am currently marinating in Vicks Vaporub. Over the counter cold remedies just were not cutting it-- and I have to be careful about what I take, as if things have side effects, I tend to get them. Vicks has a pungent smell, but frankly, I do not mind it at all. Too bad for those around me! I had a raging sinus headache, hideous tight chest and cough-- and--- well-- it is all going away now! My chest is looser, the headache vanishing... I have Vicks on my throat and chest, temples, and also on my feet covered with thick warm socks.

Whether what Vicks can do is medically proven or not, I do not know-- but count me as a convert!
                                  A canter is a cure for every evil. ~Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

• Paradox - I just watched Katie's training video. She looks great, like she's muscled up a little since I last saw pics. I'm excited for your show. And lol at "just 2'6", that's a pretty good day for me even if I wasn't on a green horse.
                                    I love all the trees and greenery around your arena, so lovely. Same with the St Jude's ride.

Comment

• BITSA - PONY!!!! OMG! She is SUPER cute and yes - they really do look great together. Fingers and toes, etc. crossed that all goes smoothly with the PPE! Hooray also for the aha moments and great jumping. I really enjoy reading about all of the cool jumping exercises others do on here with their trainers; it has been so long since I've jumped seriously that I'm living a bit vicariously through everybody and learning so much

Vanessa - Hope the new saddle is continuing to feel great for both you and RB!

PF - Glad you got to the gym and are easing back into things! Hope the rain holds off and that you get some great rides this weekend. Love that you might take Chico, too! So fun to have goals and milestones like that to work toward.

Sun - Smile every time you describe PH and his strut rest up and feel better. There has been some NASTY back-to-school-type stuff flying around recently.

Dewey - Loved that article, and found myself laughing out loud and nodding along more than once.

TigerSugarAusten - Sometimes keeping it together and mustering a few nice moments is more satisfying than a "perfect" ride. Under those conditions I'd say you and Sheldon did incredibly well! Enjoy the weekend away

Suzie - The Equissage sounds so cool - loved the pic.

TC - That is a crazy (and gorgeous) picture!

Counting down the minutes until the weekend! Had a lesson yesterday that went pretty well... it was challenging but overall felt good - and we had a few nice moments, including some really nice canter. I think both me and M needed the kick in the pants Barn again tonight, and then tomorrow some adventures with DH. Have wonderful weekends, all!
                                      Urban Thoroughbred

Comment

• Just an update, PPE went great today on the pony ("Lola"), we just need to get the blood results next week--but we don't anticipate an issue. Thank you all for your PPE well wishes! DD is over the moon with excitement, Lola should be making her way to our barn next week! I'll make sure to post some pictures.

On an unrelated note, one of the barn mom's emailed me a video from July of the last show I did. It was the show that caused me to melt down (for many non-horse related reasons). While I can find a lot of fault with my seat and hands in the video, I actually allowed myself to think "I didn't look too bad after all." That's a big deal for me. Thank you all for helping me get past that meltdown time and all of your steadfast encouragement. This group has been such a good thing for me, thank you all. It was fun to watch Greta too, who really was wonderful.
                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9ZdoxOibJc

Comment

• Originally posted by Training Cupid View Post
                                          Sugar - so exciting that the barn is almost ready!! I meant to share this picture, yes my trainer does get pretty creative! http://www.taysidehorse.com/uploads/...18345_orig.jpg
                                          Oh my!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X