Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greys - Sorry it didn't go quite as well as we all hoped, but it was a good learning experience for Bravo.
    I have remind myself for Cupid's first show to do the right thing for him even if it means losing points. (I'm pretty competitive ... don't want to lose to those little kids on ponies!!) Think long game!
    I don't think we're expecting rain up here, but the temp has drop about 15 degrees.
    http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

One more tiny point, I actually got some amazing news that this group in particular would appreciate. MY trainer was in Europe shopping for horses and he went to the place where I got Bravo. Good news 1) they found a horse for a client.

But way better news 2) my trainer was talking to the owner and saying, yes, I love Bravo so much, I'm really glad J brought him, she was having some trouble, I think she got bucked off a few times, etc.

Well it turns out that the person I bought Bravo from, a 25 year old German phenom, who has already ridden in the hamburg derby on a homebred and home trained 8 year old, was ALSO bucked off MORE THAN ONCE by Bravo.

For reference, here's a video of the Hamburg Derby though with a different rider

This was basically the MOST comforting news I've ever gotten! I nearly fell off Bravo when he told me.

Comment

Faye Bobby is such a saint and way to stay on and push through! I never liked the bareback classes, probably because I never liked how hard I had to work to stay on haha. Especially on a horse who's gaits and body type was not bareback friendly.

Yup, only 2 horses who could possibly jump starting next year. It seems like it's more up to the rider than in the plans. It's strange because they have a hunter/ jumper trainer, but no horses who can even fill that role. The show barn works with our school so you would think they'd have a little more flexibility. They don't have a trial period, just an evaluation lesson which you have to pay for. I think I'm going to talk to their trainer and hope that they have a little mercy. If not I can always start riding next year, which is such a long time, but may be my only choice.

Aqua I'd have to take an evaluation ride and see how that goes first, but it seems like I'll be forced to make a decision after that. At least I know I'll be getting what I pay for in the end, it's just paying for it. I'd rather save for the rest of the year, so it's no issue next year, than spend my entire month's paycheck in one setting.

Austen I am in school! We do have a team, but it's about the same cost you would pay outside of being with the team. Plus it's a pretty good drive away from campus. The show barn actually teaches our equestrian P.E. class. I could possibly see if they'll bend the rules seeing as they work so closely with our university. Also, I'm sure I'm not the only student who would ride there

greys Silly Bravo swapping his lead, but sometimes it's about other victories being won than winning the actual class. I'm sure he'll come back and show them all up! Yes, it does feel like an eternity! But I feel more comfortable saving the money and not spending it on a sticky situation.

Sunflower Your horse sounds like a dream. Really have to give props to you for working hard on getting him to a place where he doesn't have to worry about if his body can do it, it's just getting the concept down (which he seems to have no problem with). You both are going to be great!

I still haven't decided if I want to go back to the barn to try the 2 horses on Friday. The more I think about it, I honestly don't think it will be a good fit. Although I am not a new rider, I am not looking to bring up a horse back from being a pasture ornament at the moment. Barns around here are so hard because they are professional. So in order to take lessons, you need your own horse. So what you're stuck with is paying a lot of money for a run down place and horses or having these complex situations at nice facilities that do both. I'm going to ask some friends, see what they know, but it's looking it may be early 2016 before I can be back in the saddle again *sigh*. I guess I will be living through yall for awhile longer!

Comment

AustenFaye - I spent so many hours as a kid pulling manes! My first horse had a very thick mane and was, of course, an extremely temperamental chestnut mare, so pulling was always an adventure. When it's done correctly and quickly I really don't believe it's super painful for most horses, but technique makes a big difference. I also do it only in short sessions to avoid the horses getting cranky. More importantly - huge congrats on the schooling show!!!!

TheBrownHorse - Welcome! Shorty is gorgeous - and you guys look great together. Congrats on finding a situation you are excited about - can't wait to hear more

Sun - Go PH! What a good boy. I'm proud of him, too!

PF - So interesting about Katie and her jumping. M is rather short-backed as well, so interested how things go when we get his feet straightened out and start jumping regularly again.

TC - Boot camp! Intense! So glad it went well and that you and Cupid are feeling confident. I continue to be so excited for you both and know Cupid will be great!

Greys - Hi! Been thinking lots about you and Bravo. So sorry to hear that the show didn't go more smoothly, but I'm glad you are able to focus on some of the more positive elements of the show. I have to say, I'm still so impressed at all he's accomplished - these big shows are intense! I can't really wish against rain given how very dry things are out here, but here's hoping it holds out long enough for you to fit in some horsey time. Good vibes for the eye procedure! And of course any time you find yourself in SF you are welcome to visit

Deweyhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/eztlxkrjfd....33-1.jpg?dl=0

Happily farrier was able to come out and got things fixed up. Now of course I'm concerned that he'll be even more unevenly trimmed up front than he was before, but at least he has all of his shoes on. Plan to lunge him tonight and if he is moving well hop on for a ride. As TC said, I don't think we've actually gotten rain up here, but it feels like fall (at least for today). Very chilly, foggy, windy. Horses will be flying, I'm sure!
          Urban Thoroughbred

Comment

Faye I ordered the ThinLine bareback pad, it's more expensive than regular old bareback pads, but I figured with Cash's back he needs something that will offer more shock absorption! I agree - when they are naked, they are so darn slippery! Did you get to use a bareback pad at the show?

PF Oh, how I wish this weather would stick around for good! We also had brisk weather this weekend, but back into the upper 80's this week. I'm ready for fall! I'm glad you had a good lesson and figured out Katie's overtracking problem. I think you're right, she probably would do better with solid ground lines...I'll be interested to hear how she schools on Friday with boxes under the jumps! If she's better, maybe you can pick up some barrels somewhere and use them as fill? Or talk DH into building you some boxes

TC Sounds like Cupid was great during boot camp! That's one of the thing I love about those OTTBs, they are always pretty happy to work. And good for you for tackling those barrels, proud of you! I'm glad your boss is being so supportive and giving you that Friday off! Remind me when the show is again? Next weekend? I gave Cash the weekend off, but he is doing a little better already. The last time he was on those meds it took about a week to kick in, and then he was like a new man! Thanks for asking

Greys I'm sorry Bravo didn't win it, but like you said, it sounds like overall he had a wonderful show - grass ring, hot out, feeding time, etc! And you KNOW he will no doubt win plenty of big classes throughout his career...this is only the beginning It is weird about the swap though, I wonder what that was about? And I can totally feel your pain on the late change...some of Cash's best trips have ended with a late change landing off the last fence UGH, heartbreaking! Too funny about his previous owner, that's got to make you feel so much better haha! Is the new horse your trainer found related to Bravo? Thank you for the kind words regarding Cash! I'm staying hopeful that the meds will work, he had such a great response to them last time so I'm crossing my fingers!

Dewey I'm sorry work has been so crazy and especially sorry to hear about Sky! Last time she was off wasn't it because her foot under the pad was too soft? Is that what could be going on again? I really hope it's not something more serious I'll be sending jingles your way! Yes, the KS diagnosis was the last thing I wanted it to be, but I suppose the bright side is it isn't a severe case and hopefully the drugs will keep it manageable. Thank you for the kind words!

Comment

Sun- how old is PH? I've never put changes on a horse, I did however ride two auto change horses that had a button that was WAY to easy to push. Of course at that time I didn't know what auto anything was Money man, my old hunter, landed correct and I never realized how awesome that was.

Shoulder- what kind of dress code would break the bank? Do polo shirts and breeches not cut it?

Congrats on all the good show results!!

Welcome brown, your horse is quite lovely with a fabulous eye. He looks kind.

Comment

Hi Everyone. I have been reading your posts, but at 4:30 am, don't have time to reply.
                Here is an update. Medal Finals is this week. With the VS thing, we are having to move in a day earlier than planned. I am sort of excited as I started qualifying for a medal final when I was 23, but had to stop when I got pregnant. So, at 52 actually going to compete in one. It is crazy busy as I have two high school games this week and have to attend a teacher training Friday morning before I head over to the show grounds.
                I hope everyone has a fabulous week and gets to ride.

Comment

My stalls, tack room, and wash rack just arrived on a big semi-truck! I will be spending the rest of the day watching them build my barn

And Faye, the bobcats are gone lol!

I'll get plenty more pics later...but this is the front

I was happy to see they kept the windows in the back of the stalls when I added dutch doors to the back. Now there is a door AND a window in the back, should be super bright!

Comment

https://twodarkbays.myshopify.com
                    @two_dark_bays on Instagram

Comment

Ahhh Sugar! So exciting. I can't wait to see more pics!

Comment

Vanessa - Hooray new saddle! Huge jingles that it fits and you and RB are both happy with it. And yes, too funny about plastic bags. I had one with carrots in it last night and you could see the conflict in M's little brain - "There are TREATS inside the MONSTER THING. WHAT DO I DO??" Of course treats won in the end

Sugar - AHHHHH BARN!!!! It's adorable! I can't wait to see more pics . So excited for you!

paintjumper - Medal Finals! Exciting!! Big vibes for a wonderful show!

I think moving day for M is next Tuesday. That snuck up fast Excited to get him settled into the new place, though.

Made it to the barn last night. M has some swelling above his LF fetlock. I am reeeeeeally hoping it is due to the small scrape he gave himself on the front of his cannon bone (he does have a tendency to puff up from pretty superficial nicks and scrapes) and not some kind of strain from hobbling around on that twisted shoe yesterday. We just lunged because I wanted to see how he was moving - and he was completely full of it! He's a pretty mellow dude so sometimes needs to be reminded that there is a gear above "jog", particularly on the lunge, but he looked great. Moved really well, and we did some work with the Vienna reins - that topline is coming along! Leg looked better after exercise, but cold hosed and wrapped just in case. Ohhhhh ponies .
                        Urban Thoroughbred

Comment

ShoulderIn: yes, bobby is me saint

Sugar: no pads were allowed, hence my little panic. I don't know why, with the pad, I can canter no problem, but without it? No. Just no.
                          And yes!!! BARN is here!!!

Greys: I'm sorry bravo didn't do as well as you had hope for but hey, the experience is priceless!! How was the wedding?

Vanessa Jean- video sent!! Yes I have my own saddle. It's the Pessoa Legacy
                          Last edited by Faye; Sep. 15, 2015, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Wooooo hoooo Sugar! The barn is here!

So exciting! I always wanted a barn like that--I'm living through you!

By the way, how is your friend doing? I was so happy to hear that she is out of the woods.
                            I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

VJ--congrats on the new saddle! Huge jingles that it fits. Can't wait to hear how you like it!

More later. I know there are a lot of people I missed. I have to get back to work!!
                              I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

Paint- Good luck at Medal finals. That is so exciting!!

Aqua- I tried to do some desensitizing to RB with plastic bags and he went ballistic so I gave up. Might try again this winter when I can't ride as much. He loves the Mrs Pastures bags though Hope M's leg is de puffed by now.

Faye- You looked great in your video! The mare looks super fun. That's so cool you have your own saddle. I remember suffering in schoolie saddles so must be nice to have one you like and fits you! Do you find it fits a wide variety of horses? I'm trying to keep a running list of saddles to try if the CWD doesn't work out for me.

Thanks all for the jingles. I am really nervous about it. I'm not sure exactly when it will arrive. The tracking says Tuesday but I'm hoping Friday. I had a good ride on RB last night. He was still a bit funny to the right but better than he was on the weekend. He will have today off so hopefully he's back to himself Thursday for my lesson. He can be stiff right but had been so much better since we switched saddles. Will have to just see I guess.

Comment

Vanessa: Thank you!! She is loads of fun with a little motor! Yeah, my barn charges $35/month for tack rental if you don't have your own stuff, so I figured i can get one and sell when needed to. Our barn is also SUPER run down, no horse has their own saddle and all of them are so used that it's unbearabe to look at. Mine is pretty good to fit most schoolies that I ride (exchangeable gullet, mine is set on Med), i've used it on bobby for a year and he hasn't has any soreness issue (he did at the beginning when he was just coming back from work), but now he's happy go lucky.

Took the boys out to trail ride today and only one spook. He spooked at the poops on the ground. Seriously??

Comment

Sugar - so glad to hear your barn has finally arrived! I didn't realize how prefab it was. Should be complete in no time! We want finished pictures, of course.

Faye - riding bareback after someone applied Show Sheen I only ever use it to help detangle tails. That stuff is slick! Good for you for staying on. And Yay!, ribbons in the other classes. Sounds like it was a (mostly) fun day.

VJ - I hope the saddle arrives quickly and safely and that it FITS! You and RB are making such progress, it will be nice to have the right saddle to complete the equation.

Aqua - I hope Marley's swelling disapated and all is well on that front. I've known horses who every once in a while think longeing is a form of turnout and really get silly! Nice you got some good work done too.

Paint jumper - good luck at your finals. I think it will be a piece of cake compared to all going on at work/coaching. Have fun!

Greys - Sounds like Bravo just had a few green moments. I know it's disappointing but, he's still learning. I'm guessing he's a fairly sensitive boy, could have been just a moment too long of leg contact that caused the swap. He'll figure it out. (FWIW, I've heard Jimmy Torano say as a judge a slick swap is the lesser of evils - a late change or rub of a rail he considered worse...)

Had a lovely ride yesterday and a nice lesson today. The weather is finally cooperating although the Baker sheets and blankets are on the stall doors.....

Comment

Hi! I finally have a minute to post.. I did ride the last two days. On Tuesday not so good.. The walk work and trot were okay but my canter was very tense. But yesterday my canter was fine! (note big smile on my face!) I have convinced my self just to do it even if it is only twice around the circle..
                                      My trainer comes back from vacation this weekend, I have not had a lesson since before I went on vacation in August.. YIKES!
                                      I hope everyone is well and happily riding...
                                      Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
                                      Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
                                      "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Comment

Aqua Is Marley's leg better today?

Dewey My friend is doing amazingly well! She got moved to the rehab hospital yesterday, but she is able to speak now and from what they've evaluated, they think she is "all there" mentally! Her doctors are absolutely blown away by her progress! I think these COTH jingles certainly helped

VJ Hope you have a great lesson today!

Faye Hahaha, I love the silly spooks like that! Poop and hay bales usually spook Cash...silly horses.

Lost Yep, barn is already up! It was pretty incredible to see it all come together in two days. Now time for all of the finishing touches Is your barn all finished? It was looking great last time you shared pics!

Ivy Great job on cantering! You have a great attitude about it, just keep doing a circle or two a day until you feel completely relaxed!

Here are some more barn progress pictures! I will be busy staining all of the doors in the next week, then we can put up siding, the ceiling, finish the inside of the tack room, get electric and plumbing, and all that other fun stuff!

Front of barn:

Wash stall and tack room:

Wash stall:

Tack room:

Stalls:

Back of barn:

Comment

Sugar - OMG the barn looks AMAZING!!! I'm so excited for you! I'm sure you've told us but my memory is failing me... do you have a target date for moving horses in???

Faye - Those poop piles can be terrifying, don't you know?

Austen - Glad you've gotten in some good rides! And yes, I've worked with some horses who think the lunge line is an opportunity to scream around at top speed. I don't lunge a lot but think it can be a great tool and definitely work hard to train that "YAHOO!" out of them. M is usually very well behaved on the lunge at the walk and trot.... if we do canter work, that first canter depart is often somewhat dramatic

Ivy - Hooray for good rides!

Vanessa - Hope the saddle comes sooner rather than later it can be so hard to wait for things like that!

M's leg seems better, I think. I have a tendency to obsess and have officially reached the point where I think I'm staring at it so hard that I'm seeing things, if you know what I mean I had another boarder look at it with me last night, and she thought it looked fine, definitely no heat. We're still taking it easy and icing just to be safe. Here's M, wondering why we aren't doing more interesting things https://instagram.com/p/7t1J8YRj5m/ One or two more days of easy going, and then back to work assuming it still looks good.
                                          Urban Thoroughbred

Comment

Working...
                                          X