Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunflower Your posts always sounded like you are so attached to PH, but then again, you call him PH, so I always wondered if he really was a project you intended to sell down the road or keep forever! I'm happy to hear you're keeping him forever! He is quite a character!

Suzie I'm glad the boys behaved for you and DH on your trail ride! Why is it that seeing other horses on the trail can cause some horses to lose their marbles?!? Cash spooks harder at other horses out on the trail than if a deer or bird were to come out of nowhere

Faye So proud of you for making it through your first show! What progress you and Bobby have made! And you stuck with it even with the loading fiasco that took place. What a pain, I can't stand when horses won't load. I'm glad he loaded well after the show, at least! Hopefully you can borrow a friends trailer to work with him more before the next show!

Pompeiii Glad to hear Sub is feeling better!

Lost Such a cool story about your youngster! My terrible internet won't let me watch the video but I saw a few seconds of him at the beginning and was drooling from that alone I love your trainer's method with him too, I think he's totally on point with focusing way more on flatwork and only jumping once in a while. Clearly, his program is working for your boy! How awesome that DD has ridden him too, I'm slightly jealous

Tiger I loved your post about riding the green OTTB! It sounded like you had a great ride, but I especially loved that it made you realize that Dodger is the right horse for you! There's something almost comforting about being back on your own, familiar horse after riding a different one. My friend always jokes, "I know and love this body" when she climbs back on her gelding after riding other horses.

TC How exciting! Was this the plan for Cupid all along, or did I just forget that eventing was the goal for him? I started off eventing Cash and had a blast! I am more suited to the hunters (not brave on xc) but I do love the feeling of galloping in the open! I am thinking about entering a one-day mini-event with Cash in October, I'd just to the starter 2' so xc wouldn't be scary, but I'm still deciding!

Aqua Phew, I'm glad Marley didn't do anything serious! How great that you were able to meet with your new vet and that you really like her though! As far as the farrier, I say listen to your gut....you immediately felt "meh" about his shoeing job, and the vet kind of agreed, so I wouldn't waste money paying him for a reset! I'll be sending hoof growing wishes to Marley

Dewey Sending continued jingles and prayers to your DS, and now to Sky Hopefully you're right, and she just tweaked something on turnout! Glad you were able to finish your lesson on Mira though! Too bad we aren't closer, we have two girls horse shopping right now, one for a smaller jumper mare

Greys I am uber impressed with you right now, a 3'9" oxer?!? I would have peed my pants!!! And I can totally picture Bravo just loping up to it all la-di-dah then exploding over the fence! How fun!!! I'm with Lost though, that lopey canter is his balanced canter. I kept telling my trainer lately that Cash's canter feels too slow, and she is reassuring me that that's the perfect canter, and she's right, every distance is appearing. It must be that balanced canter! Have a blast at the Hampton Classic with your mom! I'll be stalking your IG for pics

First, thank you all for the jingles for my friend. Unfortunately, she is still in a coma and sadly, she keeps failing the tests they are performing daily to see when they can bring her out of it Please keep those jingles coming, she has a long long road ahead.

I had a fabulous lesson yesterday, which was much needed! Cash has been off the Robaxin since Friday, but his back was still feeling good so trainer decided we'd jump show height and see how his back feels today. We warmed up over a couple small verticals then did a few courses. In the past month I've had this epiphany (FINALLY) that if he is straight as an arrow out of the corners, we will find our jumps just fine. Between that, and keeping his nice balanced canter, our course work has improved ten-fold. Now, if I can just keep his back happy so we can stay consistent and get to some shows, that would be great!

Comment

• Faye- Congrats on surviving your first show!! I'm so proud of you. RB can be picky about trailers too so I feel your pain.

Tiger- Yay for Dodger starting to piaffe. That's so cool.

Austen- Sorry about your back. That is no fun. Very cool about your young horse in the Grand Prix. That must have been super exciting. He is super handsome.

Sunflower- Yay for a great jumping lesson. You and PH are rocking it!

Sugar- I'm so happy to hear the Robaxin is working for Cash and you have been having wonderful rides. I'm considering it for RB and will ask my vet next time she's out. Its amazing that it made such a difference. Still sending lots of jingles for your friend.

Aqua- Sorry to hear Marley is a bit off. Horses! How do they manage to do these things. Jingles for a speedy recovery.

Dewey- Thanks so much for your kind words. I think I was a little afraid of RB when I first bought him. It's good to be reminded sometimes how far we have come and how we have grown as a team. I tend to focus on the things I don't do well and it was great for you to remind me that we have come a long way and my confidence has improved so much. Thank you for that! Sending lots of good thoughts for your son. Hugs. Sorry to hear Sky is off. Jingles for her.

Thanks for posting the link to the King George V Cup. You can actually see me in this video during the jump off. We are standing at the in gate. Very cool! I loved the horse boxes over there. We really enjoyed looking at them too.

Greys- 3'9!! Wowza! So proud and you and Bravo. That must have been amazing. Have fun at the Hampton Classic. Are you showing or spectating? Jingles to you as well. Depression is such a hard thing to deal with. Hugs.

Lessons/hacks last week were good. RB has been very up lately. He is super fit and can be spooky so we have been working on converting his energy to good haha. We did a lot of stopping and backing up after fences and stopping in lines. When I'm hacking I'm doing tons of transitions with halts and backing up. Sunday I just got on bareback and did leg yields (thanks Greys) and serpentines and spiraling on circles to get him bendy. On Monday I had some pretty crappy news. RB's chiro/rolfer checked my saddle fit and he said it's not good. RB has put on tons of muscle over the last year and unfortunately my saddle just doesn't work for him anymore. I have a Prestige and they can be adjusted so I am sending pics to a Prestige fitter to see if it can be adjusted. I really do not have the funds to buy a new saddle right now. Luckily a barn friend's saddle fits RB ok so I was able to lesson in that last night and he went really well in it.
      https://twodarkbays.myshopify.com

Comment

• LinA - Thanks for sharing that video, your horse is awesome!

Greys - Wow I'm definitely impressed! Sounds like Bravo has a very powerful hind end to push over those jumps. And you have nerves of steel!

Sugar - First of all, so sorry about your friend, I will continue to keep her in my prayers. Definitely puts things in perspective.
        I've always been more a jack-of-all-trades type rider, I like to try different things and if I do show it's just at the local level. When I got Cupid I was hoping he would be versatile but also waiting to find out what he has aptitude for/seems to enjoy. The trainer I've been working with since January primarily trains eventers, and he thinks Cupid has potential (not UL, but as high or higher than I would ever have the desire for.) They had an "extreme cowboy race" here recently and I thought it might be fun to take Cupid to that next year, hah!

Aqua & Dewey - Swift healing wishes for Marley and Sky.

Cupid and I had a good lesson yesterday. We're working on being more forward, and starting a bit of work on lengthening and shortening the stride. I'm trying to focus more on using my core. I actually have a strong core but I forget to use it when I ride since I have about a hundred other things to think about. Then my trainer and I had another discussion about my nerves; what makes me tense and ways to address it. I'm thankful he takes me seriously, and understands that I have good days and bad and lets me back off when I'm not feeling up to it.
        http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Sugar I have no idea and it is the first time I have experienced a horse reacting so severely to other horses.

Just hearing Bobby call from the float when we brought him home was enough to set Sim off and it took him 4 days to settle down. Another Australian saying (for people) is that 'he has kangaroos loose in the top paddock.' I swear he is not a normal horse and I say that with a lot of experience sigh.

So at the moment I don't even know if it is something we can overcome or after that if it is something we can overcome enough for hubby to ride him. Which is very sad, because at home he really is the perfect horse and Hubby was very disappointed last time. He was not just disappointed that he couldn't ride, but he was disappointed that our Instructor did not see how well Sim is going.

I didn't ride after Garden Club. The over 5 hours of biking with 8 catalogues is very physical.

Yesterday it rained. We ended up with 9 mm and I spent the day on Facebook and watching TV. Naughty Naughty.

9 mm so I should be able to work the horses soon. The sun has just come up. It will depend on the arena as I am busy this afternoon.

I will work them tomorrow morning while hubby is at work and see if he wants to take them to the Dam in the Afternoon.

Sunday I have booked in to a bus trip with the gardening club but hubby can lunge and ride Sim.

I will make sure I ride them this Wednesday as it is the lesson on the Sunday.

We will try taking Sim 4 hours or so earlier and see if that makes any difference.

Actually I might take him. Lunge him and then put him in the stable.

We will see.

Hubby did say he was a lot better the 2nd time we arrived at the dam, so I will hang on to the belief that it is something we can overcome.

Hubby did mention this morning that it won't be long and he will be able to ride after work. That will make it easier for me than working 2 horses by myself.

Or I can continue to work 2 horses by myself if Twiggy is sound......

We will see; the new job I pick up the Shifts on Monday.

And there is a job to fold the catalogues. I will ask about that. I bet it is something else that doesn't pay well!!!!
          It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• Hi, everyone--this will be just a quick report. Sky is fine. Trainer had the farrier pull her pads, and her soles are soft and tender from all the rain we've had. He pushed his thumb against her heels, and he got a reaction. So that was the problem. He left the pads off, and she will go without them until her next shoeing.

I rode her yesterday, and she was perfectly sound. I put Dura-sole on her feet after I rode to help toughen up her soles.

Sky does have flat feet, and she wears the poured-in pads to help counteract that. Her feet are much better than they were when I bought her. (I won't tell you how much I pay for her shoeing.) But the farrier did tell me when we started her with the pads that she would have to go without them from time to time to let her feet "air out." So I guess that's where we are now. Thanks, everyone, for all the jingles.

Don't have much to report about DS. We did talk to him last night. He's having car trouble. He drives our old 1998 mini van which has served us well--he can't afford a newer car. He can't get home until we get that taken care of, so we're hoping it's nothing serious. We thought he sounded a little better, though. Thanks for the warm thoughts.
            Last edited by Dewey; Aug. 28, 2015, 12:16 PM.
            I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• VJ Sent you a PM but I'm hoping your saddle can just be adjusted to fit him better!

TC Thank you, I appreciate it! Big test is today, so we are all hopeful it goes well! Very cool about Cupid! I forget how young he still is, you guys have so much time to try all kinds of different things, if you want to! And I totally hear you on using your core. Lately I've made a conscious effort to keep my core engaged, but it's one of those things where I'm not sure if I'm doing it right or not :/ What has worked for you?

Suzie That is very strange that the other horses caused such a strong reaction! Cash will spook for a second but as soon as he realizes they are horses, he is fine. Sounds like Sim never really settled again? Surely he sees other horses when you take him to your lesson, how is he then? Maybe he just needs more desensitization to them, but I do love that "he has kangaroos loose in the top paddock" hahaha!!

Dewey Phew, great news about Sky, AND glad to hear your son sounded a little better. Hoping he can get his car fixed and get home to you soon!

After our jump lesson Wednesday, I was glad that Cash's back wasn't sore yesterday! BUT, he was a total grump about being groomed again for the first time since we stopped the Robaxin. I am going to have him tested for PSSM/EPSM, that would explain a lot of his issues if it's positive. Life would be so much easier if they could just talk!

Comment

• I could not resist posting this-- truly life is stranger than fiction-- I really heard this! Overheard earlier today, two high school students talking

"I really like physics."
                "Oh, what part?"
                "Astrology."
                "You mean astronomy?"
                "No. Astrology. You know, like your sun sign. Aries, Pieces, Aquarius. That. Not astronomy."
                "Oh. Who teaches it?"
                "Mr. Albert."

eek:

Kind of explains it all!
                A canter is a cure for every evil. ~Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

• Yeah, to all you riding great rides!!

greys, awesome with the 3'9"! It's been a while for me! Maybe I'll get back to it. I'm still going back and forth in my mind if I want to do more jumping or more dressage. And though I'm sure he's different to get used to with his lope, I'd rather ride that, I think, than the rusher! Chico at shows tends to rush. Hard to get my distances if his canter is rushy. Then again, maybe it's just me!

Dewey, glad to hear your son is sounding better. And I hope you get the car fixed soon and it's not expensive.

Glad Sky's feet are on the mend. Hate it when they hurt. I've started using the new Farrier's Formula hoof protectant. It's supposed to be for just that sort of thing, the changes of wet to dry to wet footing. So I'll let you know how I like it.

aqua, glad Marley is feeling better. Whew. Grow, hoof!!

Austen, glad I'm not the only one who thinks those course walks make those jumps look even bigger! It's always mind blowing to me to walk up to, or under those GP-type jumps.

Sugar, jingling away still. Keep us posted on your friend. And I'm so happy to hear that Cash's back is doing so well! That's awesome news.

Oops, just read your next post. Well, I hope the back issue is not serious. I do agree, why can't they just tell us what exactly is wrong? Jingles to Cash.

vanessa, good luck with your saddle fitting issues. I guess if there is good news, that RB's back is muscling up!

TC, Sounds to me like you have a very good trainer. That's important. Glad you had a good lesson.

Sunflower, funny. Yeah, sometimes we get some bright teens! haha.

I had my lesson on Monday. It went well. I actually rode Chico, well, because I could. haha. He was a very good boy. We didn't over tax him. But I did pop him over a few jumps and he was enjoying it, as usual.

3/4 through my lesson, though, I tweaked my lower back. It hurt, but I just powered through. I am paying for it now, though. I've had 3 days of not riding. But it's mending. Slowly.
                  My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• PF As the canter gets stronger you will be able to collect and it will not be rushy. A collected canter is hard; they can't do it overnight. Wait until you feel it. I will see your smile from here!

Ouch, maybe a chiropractor visit for you. Heaps of healing hhhhmmmssss.

LOL Sun Overheard on a mobile phone. "No Mum I told you Belly dancing not Ballet dancing! "

Sugar We have only been to one lesson so far. It was the first time I have had a lesson on my own horses in decades. On Monday Night and Tuesday morning I have been riding an ex-3 day Eventer called Monty.

Sim came from Dalson Park as he failed to settle in. He kicked 2 people and bit someone. We have not been kicked or bitten by him but we treat him respectfully and don't let him get away with anything.

He unloaded okay and then I was busy unloading Bobby. Hubby put him in a stable and they were okay next to each other.

We tacked Sim. The plan was for me to ride him for 40 minutes, then Hubby would ride for 40 minutes. (Hubby is not riding fit) and then I would ride Bobby for 40 minutes. (Bobby was not riding fit)

Sim tacked up okay and I led him into the indoor. He started creating and Bobby calling didn't help. Hubby gave Bobby some hay and he stopped calling.

My Instructor (the real one not the one that teaches when I am on Monty) said to lunge him. I had brought his lunging gear. I put him straight up to hole 5 which he does not canter on and at home cantering more than 3 strides on the lunge is too much effort. He cantered at DP on hole 5 for about 10 minutes.

'You cannot tire out an adrenalized TB'.

I managed to mount him. Only because I trust him and he has no buck. We had to do walk 10 m circles to keep any control.

At home you can't ride him without whips. He is just a different horse without them. I rode the lesson without whips.

I managed to progress to trot and he started his flinging his head in the air on one part of the circle (near the gate). Which is something we don't have a problem with anymore at home. We did manage to get him over that and he was forward. We moved him up and down the arena but did not actually get to A or C. That was an hour.

We gave him a walk break and Bobby started calling and Sim started reacting again so we decided hubby couldn't ride him.

I then lunged and hopped on Bobby. Bobby was scared. He did well. I need to do some spooky object training with him today. To start with he stood if he got a scare but after that incident with exploding forward when the leaves touched the helmet. He did it again after we stood and spoke to the other riders and he did it on the lunge yesterday.

He was in a quiet trot and then exploded forward. He did it towards A so there was the sides of the arena to help me. I yanked and he stayed on the circle and stopped.

WT ...? Did a blade of grass move? The grass had been cut so it is only 4 inches instead of 3 foot that Twiggy was a bit worried about.

I still had the stirrups on which have the plastic so your foot can't go through the stirrup, so we cross them over instead of putting them up and one had flipped over and down. I put it back over and put him forward into trot, made him trot near that bit of arena and then made him halt there. He did so quietly. I went over to him and swat swat swat pth pth. I was in a swarm of flying ants.

Him exploding forward if anything happens is not the reaction I prefer. It is better than him bucking. The Spooky Object Training teaches them if they get a fright they should stand still.

Going up to the arena I once again pulled and shook the branches of the trees we went under. Bobby's only reaction was to think I wad offering him food and took a mournful of them!

Comment

• Hi everyone. I have read through all the pages, and I know I won't catch you all, so just a few directs:

Dewey: my heart goes out to you and your family dealing with DS. My Mom has experienced severe depression and (I'm 900 miles away) its such a helpless feeling. I also have had my own--though much less severe struggles with that beast. Feel free to PM me anytime if you want to talk, I mean it. All my best to him and you, hard times and worry for your children are like nothing else in the world.

Sugar: I cannot imagine what your friend's family and husband are going through. Worry and grief are so unique to us all in how we process things. I am glad you all went to see her and my prayers are with her.

Faye: congrats on your show!!! I am so proud of you! And this quote made me laugh out loud and gave me the best mental image: "Bobby's mane was like a homeless man, but at least he was clean."

Greys: holy wow on the 3'9"!!!! Have a wonderful time at the Hampton classic; post lots of pics to IG and safe travels!
                      ------------------------------------
                      So here's my big news: DH and I are going to make an offer on a 19 acre parcel to build our own house! I am partly scared as hell and party super excited. I grew up on 50 acres and always wanted my kids to get to run around outside (we currently live on a small lot in suburbia). The vision is a moderate house, pool and small 4 stall barn. We havent made the offer yet, but will in the next few days. Keep your fingers crossed.

In horsey news Greta and I have had a few really tough lessons, and a very good one Thursday. The tough lessons were due in large part to a particular jump. It was the out of a bounce set along the rail that we had to slice (in between the in of the bounce) and headed towards the rail. A lot to look at. You had to steer and be very straight, leg ON and not look down. I have busy hands and sometimes take my leg off a couple of strides out. Greta (no blame to her) ducked out twice during one lesson and once during two other lessons. This is realy unusual for her. She's ducked out twice ion the entire 2+ years I've had her before these lessons. That jump had my number. I did get her over each time, but it was hard on my confidence. It was out Asst Trainer making us do it, I said: "why are we doing this, what does it help us learn?" Answer: "Rich [Fellers] set it up, so we can do it, its good for us, teaches focus." (For the few of you who don't know I train out of the same barn [different program] and Rich Fellers....and yes, I've fallen off in front of him and had my mare go prancing about riderless in front of him on Flexible.....). REALLY???? Sigh. Anyhow, I hate that jump. Hopefully it will go away until I am jumping 1.3 m!

We also had a lesson where I was with better riders and we did a .95 course (the biggest I have ever jumped). I made it around, not sure it was pretty, but it was good for me to see where my riding needs to be tightened up. Mostly my leg ON to the base.

Thursday we had a good lesson. I counted my rhythm the entire time and kept my legs tighter. Thank you all for sharing in my small-victories happiness over starting to count! I now believe I can do it, and that's really the key--right?

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. DD is showing her fat pony in the last show of our season and is in the running for year end short stirrup pony eq champion. They are the cutest pair.

Comment

• AustenSugar - So sorry to hear that your friend hasn't progressed more quickly. The human body - and brain! - is amazing, though, in its capacity to heal. Continued good thoughts. So happy to hear about the wonderful lesson! Happy back jingles to Cash.

vanessa - Super fit horse = good problem to have, I suppose ! Sounds as though you're managing it really well. Big bummer about the saddle fit here's hoping it's possible to adjust or re-flock, and glad you have an acceptable backup for the moment.

TC - Love that Cupid is going to be an eventer if I can get Marley's feet in a better spot that's what I hope to do with him, too. Such a fun sport.

Dewey - so glad Sky is sound! Sounds as though you have an excellent partner in your farrier. Honestly, if he's good whatever you're paying is probably worth it!

Sun - HAH! Too, too funny.

PF - Lesson on Chico! Hooray! Sorry to hear about your back, but glad it's on the mend.

Suzie - "you cannot tire an adrenalized TB" - so, so true! Sim sounds like a handful but you and your husband manage him well.

BITSA
                        Urban Thoroughbred

Comment

• Hey, Suzie. . Actually, Chico's canter is lovely...on the flat, haha. I adore his canter. He just gets rushy to fences, mostly in lines.
                          My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• PF - so glad you had a good lesson on Chico. I know you missed riding him. I bet it was like getting together with a good friend. Sorry about your back. Mine seems to be better after lots of ice and seeing my chiro. Hope you're not too uncomfortable.

BITSA - every once in a while there is that exercise that just seems to be impossible! It sounds like you really tried to not let it get the best of you and Greta. Good for you. As to riding the .95 course with the other group - it isn't always pretty but YOU DID IT!
                            Please don't forget to post pictures of your adorable DD and pony. I hope she has fun! Finally, fingers crossed for your land offer. I'm so glad my kids were able to grow up in the country (by NE standards). As my farmer is cutting hay now I'm reminded how the kids used to love to try to jump from round bale to round bale. They'd spend hours doing it.

VJ - perfect way to handle a "fresh" horse, lots of transitions to keep him focused. While it's unfortunate that your saddleas not fitting how wonderful that RB's condition has proved so much! I hope the fitter has some simple (read, inexpensive) solutions for you.

Sugar - still keeping your friend on my list. I hope you get some better news soon. Glad Cash is doing better! Hope he doesn't have any more issues!!

Sun -

Aqua - How disappointing that your barn is raising rates after you just got Marley settled and you're contemplating moving. Everyone has different priorities for the "perfect" boarding situation. When DD wanted to take her horse to college (and leave our own barn) it was not easy. Foremost for us at that time was a safe facility. It didn't have to be beautiful or new, just safe as she wasn't sure how often she'd get out to ride. Second was management/care/training (basically trainer did it all at places we looked at). Turns out she ended up doing a good deal of the care as trainer did not live up to expectations. Horse only stayed at school for one year. When I made the decision to leave my business I knew there were no other facilities comparable so finding the right trainer/care was paramount. DD took her horse for a lesson and we went early to watch trainer teach another student. I talked to asst. trainer about basic care and management. It sort of felt like we were interviewing each other. I also think the fact that we used the same vet and farrier worked in our favor. Fairly basic facility but safe and well maintained. We're going on our fourth year together and even though I was able to facilitate my trainer moving to my old barn, the care and training of my horses is what's most important. Also, as I live in a very horsey area, I've never had to travel more than 1/2 hour to the barn. 5 minutes now! Oh, need to add that board and training rates are on the higher side of the range for my area but well worth it as far as I'm concerned. Wishung you luck as you weigh all the pros and cons !

Comment

• Aqua I hate that when you have done all the research and made a decision and then your choice changes. ARGH.

I lunged, rode and permoxined Bobby and Sim this morning. Both were good and I was able to take my time and ride as long as I wanted to as there was no time limit.

Then I fed out roundbales to the main herd, the weaners and I put one in the cattle yard for our weaner bulls.

The Spooky Object Training with Bobby went well. To start with he tried to jump and kick at it, so that wouldn't have been nice to ride. None of my other horses have had that reaction. They usually just try to run away.

In the end he was standing quietly but I know from experience that it takes several days to a week for them to start like they end.

Hubby lay down after work. It still didn't look like rain so we took them to the Wyaralong Dam again. By then some spots had started on the windscreen.

If we had gone when he first arrived home we would have been home by then.

We arrived and the same car and float was there as last week.

We tacked up as it started spitting and we rode for a little while. Bobby saw a kangaroo and stopped so he was praised for stopping and not having any other reaction. Sim didn't like it and started backing. Hubby went to turn him and I told him to keep him looking where he didn't want to go.

As the raindrops were starting to come down a bit quicker and it started getting heavier, we decided to return to the float and try to get home before the rain really set in.

We arrived home to steady rain. I tucked everyone in and fed them as hubby cleaned the float and put it away. Mo and Jo loved their round bale.

As I was wet anyway I had a hot shower and washed my hair.

And now we are lying in bed and listening to the rain. I have to sit up as I want my hair to dry before lying down so I don't get sick. We seem to be getting a lot more than we did the other day and the weather forecast was for more the other day and not much today.

It will be our tea time soon.

They both loaded perfectly. Now I just walk in the float and rattle the pellets in their dish and just wait and Bobby comes up to get his pellets.

With Sim I now give him a slice of carrot half way up the ramp and another at the floor to slow him down so I can get in first!!!!

Here is a photo of them on the float.

Baby Bobby is in the patterned rug and Sim is in the white rug.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...psyzklna92.jpg

Comment

• Greys: Thank you!! I'm glad I did the show, it was a no pressure gig, so we had a lot of fun! Bravo is such a character! I can picture him turning his nose up and not impressed no matter how high the fences are
                                3'9 oxer..... enough said.

Dewey: I'm glad sky is doing better! I didn't know that horses can have flat feet like us!! Interesting!
                                I'm glad your DS sounded better though, it's tough i know, but i know you all will get through this.

TrainingCupid: More forward is something my trainer stresses everytime. especially Bobby being a schoolie. I need to set the tone the second i get on, not 3 minutes after the warm up. Leg, if nothing, leg and cluck. If nothing, leg cluck whip. Usually he's good if I am firm about this. I'm sure you already know this

VanessaJean: well, its good news that RB is getting super fit , bummer that the saddle no longer fits though. Hope you can adjust the saddle rather than getting a new one. Why are horse related expenses so high!

Suzie: I'm jealous that your boys loaded up so easily!! They both look so cute in the trailer with their blankets on

Bitsa: That exercise that you and Greta did sounds complicated, and I'm glad you guys got through it! And yay for the .95m course! Pretty or not, I'm sure you guys were plenty pretty, we are always so hard on ourselves!

Aqua: I'm so sorry that the rate increase happened so soon. I don't have any advice, and fully understand that the boarding rate in our area is really ridiculous. Are you on the peninsula? If the rates are so high, maybe consider woodside/portola valley? (Not that we are any cheaper, but there are a lot more choices with more trainers in the area?)

PF: Careful of that back!! I hope you feel better! I'm glad chico is doing well and enjoying the jumps

Sun: LOL. Albert seems to be teaching your boy a lot!

Sugar: Yay for no more sore back! Do you check his back every time you ride by pressing along the muscles of his spine?
                                I'm so sorry about your friend, will keep the jingles going her way. Keep you, her, and her family in prayers.
                                Yes, trainer said we will have to work on the trailer issue at home. My friend's my trainers other client, she has a 6 year old mammoth that if we start showing more often, will be going in the same trailer, so he better learn to adopt to a less fancy trailer. I cannot keep asking another boarder to haul us over in her fancy mansion.

If i forget anyone, please forgive me! I've been MIA a bit because of my hectic schedule. Yes, it's from that orchestra from hell.
                                One concert done! I have to say, that rude Concertmaster played his solo violin concerto, and he was really amazeball. I didn't appreciate his attitude, but I understand- he worked hard in this piece, and the first violin section needs to be able to play our part well to support him. (Still not thrill about his rudeness though). He did amazingly well, with standing ovation.

Now that we are almost done, one more concert this afternoon, I'm less mad about this whole orchestra thing. I think the negativity that i imposed on myself didn't help the situation.

Between traveling and rehearsal/concert, not much Bobby time. Trainer out on show so no lesson today (mega dissapointed). I visited Bobby after work before concert (very stressful, will not do that today!). That little turd was so excited though i was giving him food and STEPPED ON ME! Took him a few seconds to move his hoof. I almost want to horse shame him by putting his picture with a sign:

Hi, I'm Bobby. I'm 1600 lbs and stepped on my mom and won't move.

Comment

• Ouch Faye and it is lovely that he is a great violinist. He has the passion and dedication for it as we have for our riding.

Your poor foot and what happened comes back to training and the boring old basics of leading a horse. If you teach them to walk before you walk with a click. Halt before you halt with a finger up and the word halt and back with the word back and your thumb on his chest, or saying back and waving your finger from side to side or saying back and a tug on the tail, then you have control with or without the halter.

Bobby didn't move because he has been taught to lead by following your feet when being led. You couldn't move because he was on you and he wouldn't walk as he wasn't getting his signal to walk.

Now Bobby is not your horse so it is not really up to you to change his training, I am just babbling!!!

Sim did not load well to start with. I have trained him. Bobby wasn't bad to load but wasn't good and was getting worse.

I train by teaching them to lead as I said above. Then I click and approach the ramp. If they rear, run backwards etc I have them in a yard so they can't go far. While being naughty I don't try to stop them. I make them uncomfortable with the lunge rope (rope halter) until they stop. They have already been taught to come when I call so I call them back to me at the float and they are praised.

So at the float everything is hunky dory. Over there away from the float is horrible and uncomfortable. Take your time and patience with the praising. You stroke (never pat) and ask him what happened over there? Was it terrible? ? Tell me all about it? You can have a food reward but don't rely on that because if they are really upset they will be too tense to eat it and it is your praising that will calm them. Lets call it mega praising.

Then you begin again, click and ask to come on the ramp again. 2 hooves on and ask for halt. Praise. Thumb on chest and ask for back. Back him off. Horses learn from release of pressure. The more times he is backed off the easier he will go on next time. It also teaches them that they can back to get off because quite a few of us have experienced a person who has taught a foal to turn around to exit and they are now too big and don't know how to back to get out = fun times! It also teaches them that they back one step at a time and don't rush off.

So you continue 4 hooves on. Halt. Praise. 4 hooves off. Halt. Praise. 2 hooves in the float. Halt. Praise. Back. Praise. In the end you can go in 4 steps back 2 steps forward 4 steps back 6 steps etc.

To self load you click they walk in. To unload you say back and give a small tug on the tail.

You NEVER undo the back with the horse tied. You MUST untie the horse before undoing the back.

I can't emphasise that enough and I can't emphasise enough that using mega praise works better than using ropes, whips, hitting, yelling, pulling, swearing or anything else you see frustrated people trying.

Just remember that frustration comes when knowledge has run out. JMHO.

Comment

• Faye-- glad to hear that you are surviving the orchestra-- and that it sounds like it is all going very well at the performance. Shame on Bobby indeed, for standing on you! Maybe he is jealous you were off to do something he could not be part of!!!

I had a great jumping lesson on PH. I gave him a long, slow warm up and that helped him have a focused and settled brain for the lesson-- unlike yesterday where he was doing his adrenalized OTTB act! ( which consists of sticking his head in the air, and his tongue out of the side of his mouth when being told he cannot charge off as he wants... mini tantrums... which soon subside...). We worked on a line that was set at a slow four or forward three, working on moving him up or holding him back. He was good at listening and finding decent distances. I was proud of him-- and most of all of how he just stayed relaxed throughout!

Comment

• I'm jealous Sun I hope one day I can say Sim is relaxed off property and with other horses.

We were posting to Faye at the same time!

It rained quite a bit last night. I picked a good day to take off riding. I am off on a bus trip with the garden club to a Garden Expo. Yes it cost money but I have to go online on Monday to pick up shifts for the new job so there should be a bit more money to play with, says Suzie Q counting her chickens before they hatch!

Comment

• Just watched an June Youtube video Grand Prix competition-- Yazmin Pinchen of the UK-- what a great rider! Beautiful position, beautiful horse, really enthusiastic and pleasant seeming rider. Seems like an up and coming rider on the Grand Prix circuit!

Comment

• AustenSuzie - Love the picture of Bobby and Sim on the float. Bobby is so tall!!!

FayeSun - I feel as though when you're able to type "relaxed" and "OTTB" in the same sentence things have gone really well Good boy PH!

Pretty good ride today. Arena was very busy, but Marley really does. not. care. Good boy. The only time he even started to think about jigging was when a little roan mare bolted right behind us - but he settled without much fuss. Pretty sure I was more bothered by the bolting mare than he was. Too crowded to get any poles set up, but hoping to keep working on those a few times per week. Great for making him think a little bit and use his back. Grabbed a few pics of him on the wash rack post-ride - it's not very well lit, and none of the pics are particularly well-posed, but I was curious to see whether he looked much different. Even with the bad pics, I think progress! Reminder to myself that I should get some actual, nice pics so I can keep seeing how he changes.

Early June:
                                          https://www.dropbox.com/s/qod05b35ph...36.17.jpg?dl=0

Today:
                                          https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5qlvz0bxc....50-1.jpg?dl=0
                                          https://www.dropbox.com/s/t129lb5x68....30-1.jpg?dl=0

(sometimes I know the dropbox links haven't worked... try clicking them vs. copying and pasting. the forum shortens the URL so there are dots in the middle - the full URL is longer!)
                                          Urban Thoroughbred

Comment

Working...
                                          X