Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewey: so sorry for the rude shop lady. I think its retail 101 to not insult the customer and lose a sale...Don't feel bad about your breeches, your horse doesn't care, and apparently neither do the judges. I have never once looked at a picture or video of you and noticed your breeches!!! You alsways look confident and well turned out. Sky looks lovely by the way and congrats on a great show. If the only thing she spooked at was the mechanical TRex (love the description) that's a victory!

Bear: so glad you kept on until you got a diagnosis and that your surgery went well!!! Welcome back to the saddle!

Ivy: glad your DD is enjoying the horse now. And you're right about the tools. When my DD's pony was out she had to ride a school horse and it was hard for her (yes, tears....) but she came out a better rider because of it (not to mention appreciating her pony). Sorry its been so long since you've had the chance to ride, hopefully soon.

Lucky: nice job sticking with it on Pony. Positive trips will help the nervousness. Remember to breathe (6-3-6).

Sun: Thank you for the good show wishes and compliment re Greta I am so happy to hear how well things are going with PH, really. I know it was very hard for a while, and I love the partnership it sounds like you are creating with him. Oh, and I love the conversations; he's quite the intellectual!

Aqua: your CANTER horse is adorable!!!! But don't buy if you're not ready. Its like Goerge Morris says, "horses are like men, there will always be another." Not to say it will be a mistake if you do, but if you don't feel ready in your heart or hearts, maybe listen to your intuition??? By the way. love your old pics, you were (and probably are) a lovely rider!

Sugar: baby horse pictures!!!!! those legs, oh my, what a cutie!!!! Thank you for sharing. Love the pic of Cash and the lesson girl, what a good boy he is! I am sure he was happy about the bigger jumps, way to rock the 2'9"! I also watched the split screen of Secretariat and AP. Secretariat was my first "hero" I remember saving my money to buy a book on him. He will always be special to me. But AP deserved to win, what a great horse with a huge stride. It was thrilling to watch. My hands were shaking by the end, it was nice to see a great horse prove that it still could be done. And props to Victor Espinoza too!

Paint: we all go off course. I went off course and jumped a ramped-oxer backwards once... glad you rolled with it!

V/J: I couldn't agree more with the leg on and make it happen approach and really amazing you did that (its easier said than done). Just last week my trainer was talking to me about making it work even if its not perfect and me (the rider) being in charge of the outcome. Its a hard concept to master, but so important. I'm impressed, well done.

Faye: I'm with Bobby on the heat! Love that he chose you in front of the barn girls. Good boy Bobby. And welcome home Faye!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I had a pretty good jump lesson on Greta yesterday (we show Saturday). It was hot, like 96 degrees, which almost never happens in Oregon. Greta was lazy and I had a hard time keeping her in front of my leg. I actually had to stick her once...which almost never ever happens. We jumped teeny jumps and really worked on straightness, rhythm and counting. As I am still.not.counting. It works so much better when I do. Sigh. I am going to ask my trainer to have me count out loud at the show. This maybe my only goal for this weekend's show.

One more jump lesson tomorrow. It's supposed to be cooler, thank goodness. I'll let you know how it goes

Comment

• Suzie: Absolutely right! That was super amazing to watch! Those seats.. wow, just wow.

PF: Yes, he was a little slow but yep, treats!

BITSA: Thanks!!

So I rode a non schoolie for the first time yesterday! I had a lesson on my trainer's greenie. I was a little nervous but not too bad, Nervousness subsided when it started raining in the morning (raining = jumping arena not opened= no jumping = less chance of death)
      Now i know what it means by a horse is stiff. Little red mare (yes, greenie chestnut mare is not exactly the best combo, isn't it?) is so supple, super bendable! Very nice change from the schoolies that I use so much leg and they still don't quite bend to my inside leg. She's SUPER sensitive. Hardly any leg pressure gets her moving. She's actually very nice to ride, except one thing. She's very looky and spooky. She was mortified of the two chairs in the covered arena that's in diagonal corners. After a few slam brake and jump sideways spooks, I think I was more worried about those chairs than she was! Trainer was very patient with us, talked me through how to deal with all the scenarios and lots of praises. She did say that if it doesn't work out (meaning little red wants to kill me), we would call it a day, but we should give it a try. It was a very challenging lesson, if we don't canter I would be very happy. We did though. It was super tough getting her to depart- she's still learning and she was tired. I appreciated my trainer allowing me to try her and get different experiences.
      Learned so much!!! That was probably the longest hour of my life.

Comment

• Faye-almost spit water all over my computer with your quote "raining=jumping arena not opened=no jumping=less chance of death". Classic

Bitsa-good luck in your show Saturday. Counting out loud works We will take your heat as I am so tired of the rain.

I am supposed to show Sheila on Saturday in the jumpers and Nina on Sunday in the hunters. Not looking too good as we are supposed to get a big storm tonight with flooding. There have been a number of shows cancelled this year or with low entries due to the crazy weather. Makes me miss Southern California. I haul in for lessons and last night the lightning and rain let up long enough for me to get to the trainer and ride indoors. The indoor is the size of a postage stamp so lots of flat work and gymnastics. Needless to say, I am exhausted this morning. It's almost Friday.

Comment

• https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9qj6hqcj8...39.20.mp4?dl=0

Poor Chico. ACK.

Sigh. Flushed it and will send video to my vet.

Hope you're all having a good day.
          My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• Oh no, Paradox! That looks really nasty. Hope it isn't serious. Let us know what the vet says!
            I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Paradox - keep the videos of Miss Katie coming! She seems so matter-of-fact and unflappable in these. Definitely a lot to work with! And oh no - poor Chico !!!! Here's hoping that in the grand tradition of horse injuries everywhere it is less nasty than it looks.

Sugar - Isn't it funny how even a few rides can sometimes change how a horse goes? I occasionally wonder when riding somebody else's horse what bad habit I'm allowing ! Love how excited horses get about jumping sometimes. There was a funny thing floating around Tumblr the other week that made me giggle:

me: [turns towards a jump]
              horse: target acquired. initiating launch sequence.
              me: pls no
              horse: YES
              horse: AKFNSKDBAKCBIS
              horse: AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN

DeweySunflower - I enjoy your chats with PH. He sounds very wise!

FayeBITSA - good luck with the jumping! 96 degrees, BLARGH. I have become such a wimp about the heat.

Paintjumper
              Urban Thoroughbred

Comment

• How do you guys keep up?? I try to read all these and get the names straight.

We should have a facebook group or something. I'm so bad at multi post replying.

Back to reading now.
                My herd for life:
                King: 21 year old Foxtrotter gelding
                Ruais: 8 year old Friesian/Arabian mare
                http://imgur.com/a/LSPiJ#0

Comment

• 36, and figuring some things out...

I've now had about half a dozen lessons after my 10+ year hiatus from regular riding, and I've come to believe there's something to be said for a break helping a person figure things out that she never could before.

1. A few weeks ago, I put together a course for the first time in a well over a decade. (Even before my time away, my horse was chronically unsound. Jumping a course was a dream.) Each time I finished, my trainer offered her feedback, then said, "Catch your breath, and we'll go again."

It occurred to me that I'd always been out of breath at the end of my courses for as long as I could remember. Not from riding in general, just after a course. Before my break, I'd chalked it up to simply being unfit. I'd never been much of a working out person, so I figured I was just panting from the effort (of sub-3' hunter courses, but still). In the intervening years, I picked up running, and have run a bunch of 5Ks and 10Ks, plus a half marathon last fall. Though I'm not half marathon fit now, having run double-digits weekly and logged 14- and 15-mile long runs meant that getting out of breath jumping a bunch of tiny verticals and x's no longer made any sense to me. Even if I wasn't fit to PR a road race, I was too fit for that.

Last night, while I was jumping around a course for the second time, I noticed that I wasn't winded like I had been in previous lessons. I was more riding fit, sure, but there was something else: I was breathing. Turns out, one has to breathe for the minute or so she's on course in order to avoid being out of breath. I'd been literally holding my breath since childhood. 36 years it took me to figure this out.

2. After I repeatedly rode a rollback like a cowboy last night (the first I've ridden, probably, since college), my trainer instructed me to make a wider turn. I could continue riding, she said, all the way to a clump of standards near the corner of the ring and sit up for a nice, smooth, round turn. I told her that I'd always feared not turning soon enough and missing my fence. "Actually," she said, "you're more likely to miss it by cutting it too sharply. You don't need to make a jump-off turn. If you make a wider turn, you're less likely to miss your fence because you're giving yourself more room to find it."

Huh.

---

What I don't know is if no one ever said these things to me as a kid and young adult, if the situation never arose, or if I was just too dense to get it. I feel like a sponge; I need to go read a DeNemethy book or something (then go back to jumping my 2' jumps).
                  Last edited by lmlacross; Jun. 11, 2015, 06:50 PM. Reason: Typo.
                  "With mirth and laughter, let old wrinkles come" (Shakespeare).

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewey View Post
                    ...My problem is that I like to wear only a certain type of breech. It turns out that Dover carries just what I like: regular rise with no Euroseat, but with European seams at the knee. They are the TS breech by Tailored Sportsman. They even come in a short version, not just regular and long. They are really expensive, though, and I am afraid to order because the Tailored Sportsmans never used to fit me, and Dover's shipping is ridiculous. So I am uncertain what to do. I wish I could try them on...
                    I also dislike Euroseat breeches. I don't care how fashionable they are, they'll never be on me. Maybe my sartorial sensibility dwells in the decade i which I last showed regularly (90's), but I also don't think they're flattering on me at all.

+1 on Dover's shipping fees. It's amazing to me that Smartpak hasn't completely beaten them into the ground yet. I haven't bought anything from them in years (and I grew up only thirty miles or so from their flagship store).
                    "With mirth and laughter, let old wrinkles come" (Shakespeare).

Comment

• Aqua: Where in the bay area are you? I'm in the peninsula! Funny how humans can start to get lawn chair phobia (entirely triggered by sideway jumps by your horse)
                      Bobby's canter is THE WORSE. I swear if he's not so sweet and well, got me wrapped around his finger, i would not tolerate it.

PF: OMG!!! What the??? Please keep us updated!! Poor thing!

Paintjumper: I love socal!! When i travel there for work, i always try to take a lesson at Foxfield, so fun!!

Amarche- it's challenging my little brain everyday.

Comment

• Thanks you guys for all the kind words about Bravo. Sugar he is by Clinton I out of a Cordalme mare. I feel like his face is very much like his dad! He has the same shorter but very muscular neck. And thank goodness he is FINALLY getting chubby enough. He looks a bit like an overgrown pony, also kind of like his dad.

Dewey I'm late to chime in here, but darn that lady. I hate when anyone makes me feel bad about something like attire. The wonderful thing is you've lost weight and you're super healthy. It's AMAZING that your breeches are baggy. I think on certain people that actually looks quite elegant. And I think we can all agree a little loose is better than too tight. Darn that nasty saleslady!

More importantly, look at Sky! She looks so regal in her stall. What a beautiful show horse you have there!

PF I feel like Katie has an outstanding brain. The gymnastics don't phase her at all. She seems really really balanced, which must be quite nice. I feel like that really cuts down on the chances of freak accidents or making improper movements. I really really like her!

But seriously Cash, QUIT IT WITH THE INJURIES. Lots of jingles for him. Time to buy some bubble wrap and keep him in your car trunk.

Aqua Man, money is a tough enough subject without heaping a ton of guilt on there. To the extent possible, you want to think about the horses and pile on lots of room for contingencies. Because the minute you have insurance and a nice cash cushion, the minute luck goes your way and you don't need it. I'm a total enabler, so I'm all for you getting the little sweetie.

lalacross: I loved your description of breathing. I am constantly having those lightbulb moments. I wonder if its because when I rode as a kid and teenager, I wasn't really processing things into you know....words. So I couldn't really analyze after the fact? But now that I am a super big fan of analysis paralysis and words, that's why I can mentally work through things like lightbulb moments instead of purely feeling everything. Maybe?

Faye I didn't know you rode at Foxfield. My former trainer was from there originally and still teaches there. I have the utmost respect for that place. They constantly put out outstanding horse men and women who really understand all aspects of horse management. Really cool!

Ah, I FINALLY got pictures of my shadbelly! Isn't it neat???

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/jb...tml?sort=3&o=3

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/jb...tml?sort=3&o=4

And my saddle came today!

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/jb...tml?sort=3&o=1

They made a couple mistakes so we might need to make some adjustments, but otherwise I really love it!

So excited for our show next week. Bravo had been super challenging this weekend so we've been turning up the heat on his flatwork. But I did finally get a picture with his ears legitimately forward over the jump, YES!

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/jb...tml?sort=3&o=2

My trainer feels like he is actually proving to be more gifted than he initially thought but we have to keep challenging him.

Big hugs guys!

Comment

• PF - two words - bubble wrap! Good grief, poor Chico. And he did that while inside? Poor boy isn't safe anywhere! Hope it's not too serious and heals quickly. Loved the video of Katie. She just seems to take to everything you do quite calmly and sensibly.

Sugar - Cash was so cute with his young friend. I love how some horses just seem to know how to take care of their riders - good as gold for her and then "Yay, Mom's back, let's have fun!"

Dewey - Great show! On the subject of breeches, I'm a TS girl. But, they must be the Trophy Hunter style #1967 ONLY. I can never remember if that's mid-rise, regular rise or whatever. I don't even really look at the tag on the outside, I go for the tag on the inside on the pocket and look for number. And, since I have to do that, I can only buy directly at tack shops. Fortunately I have two good ones in my area. I equate the mark up at shows to wine in restaurants!

Aqua - There is no way I'm going to be the voice of reason. My trainer just asked me on Tues. if I'd be interested in another horse! One we both know well just came up for sale and it would be perfect! DD and I could share I consulted DH expecting HIM to be the voice of reason and all he said was if the price was right. He did remind me that the barn being built for my retired guys only has two stalls..... Waiting on my trainer for the asking price.

Faye - great job with your trainer's greenie! Especially as you've had limited saddle time with your recent travel schedule. Good for you!
                          It was a crazy week at the farm but Sheldon and I trusted each other enough to ride through: two large tents in the field, multiple portapotties along side the outdoor ring, mounds of super scary white trash bags by the dumpster (there was a music fest at the barn on Sat.!), the white mare who lives out popping out from her shed with a loud whinny, the two minis "racing" along the fence line on our walk and, the one day we thought it might be more prudent to ride indoors during the prep for the festival, the blowing, snorting, spinning horse that one of the other trainer's student's was trying to mount. We decided the tents weren't so bad after all. Whew! Had a fun lesson today, cantering poles with my reins in one hand, other behind my back. We're really focusing on getting me to trust my leg and seat. Getting better! No riding for the next couple days, off to another wedding!

I think I've missed welcoming some of the newcomers. Nice to "meet" you all.

Comment

• Greys- I've only ridden there a few times, but I absolutely love it there. I told the trainer (the owner's granddaughter!) that I'm a beginner and I only trot 6 inches fences. We warmed up, popped over a fence , and she had me do a small course with an oxer cantering the whole thing- bless her heart.

Who is your ex-trainer?? I'm planning to go again in July! (You can PM me too!) I use to work for Amgen, but back then I don't ride. I get very excited to go to Foxfield

Lost: Awww thanks. Just reading your description is making me my heart race. Riding my greenie brings spookiness to a whole new level... Bobby is a saint.

Comment

• Thanks, all. Chico's eye is MUCH better today. He had this happen a few years ago. Of course, we want to keep an eye on it because of the fear of recurrent uveitis. He is an Appy after all. This might be what is happening, but it's not happening often, thank goodness. I was able to use the same ointment and by afternoon he was much better, and this morning he was almost normal. Sigh. Guess just a flare-up. If it happens more frequently, we'll have him see an equine ophthalmologist.

Thanks for the well wishes. I think it worked.

Oh, lesson on Katie went well, even in the heat. I did drink a LOT of water.

greys, love the pics!
                              My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• Originally posted by Faye View Post
                                Aqua: Where in the bay area are you? I'm in the peninsula!
                                I live in SF and have been riding in the East Bay. I'm starting to think about exploring places down the Peninsula, though, because that drive across the bridge is sucking the life out of me! I also live pretty close to 101 and 280, so there's not as much cross-city driving heading south. Do you ride at Woodside??
                                Urban Thoroughbred

Comment

• Greys, your new shad and saddle are just stunning! What kind of saddle is it, if I may ask? You must have special-ordered the flaps. You look great in your new shad, too. Can't wait to see pics of you wearing it in action. Love the pic of Bravo--he is so handsome!

Thanks to you and to everyone else for your kind responses to my breeches dilemma. Normally I don't give a hoot about what people think of my fashion choices, but this woman was kind of blunt and right in my face about it, which upset me. I'm over it, however. You all made me feel so much better. The other day I tried on all my show breeches. I have three identical pairs of the discontinued Ariat Pro Circuits in the smallest size--this after combing ebay for a year and finding two brand new pairs in the back of my trainer's little tack shop. I decided that two out of three still fit pretty well--the third pair was the pair I wore during the confrontation with the tack store woman. They were brand new--I had just cut the tags off before packing them for the show--and they were a bit baggy. I think after wearing them and washing them several times, they will fit better. Anyway, I decided I will not worry about what she thinks. They look fine with my jacket on. If I decided to get a new "techy" jacket, I will think about new breeches then.

To answer the questions some of you had about the TS ones I picked from the Dover catalog, no, Smartpak does not carry them. I tried there first since they have such a good deal with shipping. They do have the TS model on closeout, but they are all low rise. The regular rise ones I can't find anywhere but at Dover. These are they:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/the-ts-...if4koj31fhghxd

According to the catalog, they have updated the fabric on this model so it is the same as that used in the Trophy Hunters everyone likes so much, so that is promising. The website still lists the old fabric, but you can see what they look like. They look like a nice compromise for old-school me --if they fit.

Thanks for the tip about getting the Atlanta store to order them for me, paintjumper. I may try that--maybe they can get in several sizes for me to try on. But no hurry.
                                  Last edited by Dewey; Jun. 12, 2015, 01:35 PM.
                                  I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Greys- Oh that shadbelly is a thing of beauty. Your horse is lovely and I am totally jealous as it is raining here and your pics are in the sunshine.

PF-Glad to hear the eye is better. Those darn equines.

Sitting here teaching summer school and watching the rain. The show for this weekend has been cancelled. There is flooding everywhere. I guess that means yard work and house chores this weekend.

Comment

• Oh, yeah--I made a FB page for Sky. I am not on FB, but DH is, so I made a "pet" page for Sky from his account. This will enable me to share photos with the barn without a) dealing with all the social networking stuff (Sky has a page, not an account, so she can't have "friends") b) cluttering up DH's FB feed with horse pictures. I finally found a way to have my FB cake and eat, it too.

Comment

• greys - You look amazing in the new shadbelly! Aren't new riding clothes the best??? New coat + new saddle = a pretty epic week in my book. Love, love, love the pic of Bravo jumping. I have such a soft spot for greys - and the dapples!

lostinAustenParadox - so glad that Chico seems to be on the mend! Continuing to send good thoughts

Paintjumper - bummer that the show has been cancelled! Safety is most important, though. Seems like some parts of the country have just gotten hammered with rain and flooding this spring. Hopefully everybody stays safe and dry!

Dewey - Glad you've landed in a good place with the breeches! I am confident you look great in your gear and hooray for a Sky FB page! Bring on the pictures

No new horsey news for me - yesterday was a non-barn day so I just worked super late. Husband is away for the weekend, which means I can spend as many hours at the barn as I want! Definitely some time with the naughty CATNER baby and hopefully visiting the big handsome chestnut again on Sunday.

Happy Weekend, all!
                                        Urban Thoroughbred

Comment

• Aqua--I'm late to the party, but I do think the horse is really cute. I went through a lot of the same agonizing you're experiencing right now when I bought Sky several years ago. I had no intention of buying a horse: I had all the riding time I wanted and got to work with all the greenies my heart desired. The trouble was that Sky's owner (I had been riding her and training her for about a year) was having financial difficulties and had to sell. So I had a huge decision to make. The drama played out in the pages of this thread.

I was really unsure about the financial burden, but since then it has really been OK. I don't know your situation, of course, but you are smart to work out a careful budget and try to take everything into account. If you can save a bit every month for equine emergencies, you'll feel better. (Keep saving for your family, too--of course!) And don't underestimate the importance of the investment in your mental and emotional health the horse can provide. That has been huge for me--Sky has been my pride, and I just love owning her.

Comment

Working...
                                          X