• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Hi Hoosier!!! Ive always wanted to try reining. I rode a horse of my farrier's once and it was awesome. He showed me how to make him spin and that was a BLAST.

Thanks pony, Lucky is definitely my heart pony. I just love him.

I love your big grey! Just gorgeous!

So... I know I shouldn't but I'm so bored being laid up so I started looking on dreamhorse. More to just see what the market is like. BIG mistake. I found my (on paper, at least) perfect pony.

Can I put links to sales ads on here?

Comment

• Agree about ponies, first horse I ever galloped on was a MEDIUM pony. Great little guy!

Forcast for yesterday- 65 and sunny. Reality- 50 and light rain. Got to the barn in on and off rain and decided to give it a try. First time ever round-penning yesterday, luckily my trainer was in the arena working one her young horses and was able to guide me through the process. Also luckily horsie dear knows the drill quite well.

We had a short but uneventful ride. Thought it was a good idea to pack it in before I got chilled.

Plan is to ride the next two days.

Comment

• Originally posted by spacytracy View Post
        So... I know I shouldn't but I'm so bored being laid up so I started looking on dreamhorse. More to just see what the market is like. BIG mistake. I found my (on paper, at least) perfect pony.

Can I put links to sales ads on here?
        I think you can link to ads if you're not the seller.

But yeah, I do that too. I'll go on equine.com and the other places and poke around to see what's out there. I usually find a couple that make my heart go pitter-patter AND are actually in my current (Like what I could cobble together if I had to buy RIGHT. NOW.) price range. Sometimes I even save some of the info and a photo as a reference so I know what kinds of horses I'm looking at, why I'm looking at them, what I like or didn't like about them, etc.

I figure it'll be good research for when I actually do go out and start looking seriously. It's a killer though, when you find a horse that meets pretty much all your requirements, and you know you can't have them.

Oh, here's a guy I've been (kinda) lusting after for the past few weeks. He's listed as 15'3, and would prefer at least 16h, and he's about 2 years older than what I'd like. But everything else is perfect. Even his color:
        http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sal...d-1601322.html

Originally posted by iechris View Post
        Forcast for yesterday- 65 and sunny. Reality- 50 and light rain.
        We've had 70s here for the past few weeks, with a cold snap here and there. But Monday - my lesson day? A high of 58. And with me riding in the morning, it'll probably be more like 45 or 50.

(Sorry. I'm a whiny little redneck when it comes to the cold.)
        Last edited by Opus1; Dec. 31, 2011, 11:21 AM.
        The dude abides ...

Comment

• Original Poster

Why!?!?!?! Did you show me him??? He's adorable!!! And in my eh, erm, stretching price range.

This is who I'm lusting after:
          http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1750786

If I could talk them down a couple grand! Truth? I did email the seller on Thursday, haven't heard anything back

Comment

• Oh, wait -- let me find this other guy I really liked ... He was cheap and seemed like he would clean up well and be a great riding buddy. He's a Morgan-QH-Belgian cross.

http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sal...d-1594657.html
            The dude abides ...

Comment

• Original Poster

Ooh! He's cute too! A diamond in the rough, maybe? Truthfully its hard to tell in the winter, my pony is (IMO) downright adorable but with his winter scruffies he looks terrible.

Yikes, he's 8 hrs away from me....a BIT out of my driving radius.

Comment

• Yeah, he's a ways up there. But for $1,800, well ... Of course, most of the horses I'm finding are WAY out of my driving range, so I have to stop and think about possible plane tickets and trailering, etc.

I like the guy you posted, too! I'm a sucker for blacks with four white socks. Which would explain me looking at possible shires/shire crosses, in addition to the palominos. The only downside with shires it seems is that to get one I could afford I'd have to buy a baby/2-year old. And I really don't think I'd want to get a horse I'd have to start from scratch. Well, pay a trainer to start from scratch.
                The dude abides ...

Comment

• Original Poster

Agreed, I just want a pop-on and ride horse. I definitely can't afford him but he's flipping cute!!

Comment

• The barn is doing a good job of having horses I can ride while my guy is on stall rest. Today I had a nice ride on a mare that is coming back after sinus surgery. She's a real sweetie, but has been off work for months. I guess the plan is to ride a lot of different horses, just in case I have to start horse shopping.

If you liked my grey, his half brother is for sale in Michigan. Same sire, Loyal Pal, and mom is also an Irish TB. Name is Shades of Grey on Exchangehj.com. From the video, they both go the same, and seem to have a similar disposition per the sales ad.

Here's the link to the ad.
                    http://exchangehunterjumper.com/list...desOfGrey.html

Beautiful sunny day, so I'm off to see what needs to be done outside.
                    It's 2017. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Comment

• Thanks for the welcome Spacy!
                      My trainer is an awesome all around trainer. she likes her arabians because they're short. like some of you all prefer. i like that she agreed with me to do something completely different, because the mare seems happier for it. although, my daughter thinks the mare would prefer to jump year round. ;-)

Comment

• Happy New Year my fellow Re-riders!
                        Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Comment

• Original Poster

Yay to 2012!

Tarheel, when is your riding date? I know you said you couldn't ride til the new year. Hope its soon!

I have a dr appt next Fri, it'll be about 5 1/2 weeks since my surgery. I'm hoping he says at 8 weeks I can ride. I think last time he said 6, but I waited until 8 for my own comfort. I think I might try to get a support of some sort - a girdle or something - to help.

Comment

• My trainer posted a photo of me on FB. She took it last week when I was hacking out in a field. It's been a while since I saw a photo of myself from the side:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-S.../me_riding.jpg

I'm a total fat ass. Pretty sure that photo's my wake up call going into the new year. I mean, I knew I was hefty, but seeing me from the side? Eeesh.
                            The dude abides ...

Comment

• Original Poster

OMG are you insane!?!? That photo is awesome! I love the reflection in the water!!! You look great!

Listen, we all have room for improvement. My body does not look like it used to. Stuff just kind of....hangs.

My stomach at this point is like an old lumpy pillow. I call it "Google Maps" from all the scars. Its not pretty.

I think you look great but I understand that hearing it and thinking it are two seperate things!!!!

Comment

• I tried to ride my older guy today and he was Ok at the walk and good at the trot on the left and then shook his head constantly at the trot at the right. I was so mad, he is such a butt. His bit was a sprenger with a little lozenge in the middle loose ring. I don't think the bit is the issue.

I'm thinking of bringing my OTTB back first of March. I need to ride, my marriage sucks-we barely speak-and my work is hard. I just want to ride and jump and stop thinking that my horse will break into a million pieces any minute. My OTTB is with a great trainer 30 minutes away at a very nice place where he gets pasture turnout daily.

Tracy-you look great on your cute horse. Hope you are feeling better.

Comment

• Spacytracy - Saturday the 7th is the day! I can't wait. I love the family I've been seeing over the holidays, but I miss Tajar and a regular routine. When I get back, I going to follow through on my plan to spend a couple of weekends on one of my trainers old "been there, done that" horses for arena lessons, and just hack Tajar out in the pasture. It will give me some time to work on me and just enjoy the ride when I am on T.

Hope you get a good report from your doctor!

Opus - I think that is an amazing picture! The reflection is beautiful.
                                  Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Comment

• Originally posted by spacytracy View Post
                                    OMG are you insane!?!? That photo is awesome! I love the reflection in the water!!! You look great!
                                    Thanks. I'm usually not one to beat myself up over my weight, or how I think I look. But I did need kind of a wake up call. I've been putting off working out and getting serious about my diet, just because it's so easy to think it's OK. I mean, I live in rural Ga., so being 175 actually feels like I'm on the normal side.

I know how to lose weight. I know I need to. It's just a matter of wanting to.
                                    The dude abides ...

Comment

• Happy New Year to all!!

Opus - I think your picture is lovely as well!

I am happy to report that my first lesson in eons went very well. Tarheel - stealing your comment, I told my trainer that my goal for 2012 is to stay out of my own way. She said that's kind of vague..... and I replied that my issues are mostly in my head - my body knows what to do. Ok - she said, that makes sense.

So, we worked on my balance and leg position. I am happy to also report that my swinging leg syndrome is much much better. Now just keeping my feet under me while swinging my hips etc over the pommel at the posting trot.

Kudos to Finn - he was a total rock star - very patient and willing!

We had our barn Christmas/New Year's party on New Years Eve. Bringing the geldings in in the dark (there is a light at the gate, but they huddle just out of sight discussing who goes first) is always fun. I go out with a halter for one horse, who disappears into the dark. So, I just called Finn and his white blaze appeared and he followed me to the gate. Love my horse.
                                      And nothing bad happened!

Comment

• Hi, everybody. Welcome to HoosierHorseNut!

I haven't been around for the last new days, so there's a lot to respond to. I share the secret vice of looking at for-sale ads though for me, the sites I visit are mostly CANTER mid-atlantic and Finger Lakes Finest. My dream is to get a nice little OTTB mare to work with and then breed her to ArdCeltic Art. I have always wanted a Connemara-TB cross. By the time I can actually do this, I will be retired, and then I will be too old to work with greenies, though, so it won't happen.

Opus1, I, too, live in rural Georgia though I grew up in New England.

Yesterday we had our annual "Happy Birthday Pony" party at the barn. It was a blast--people brought tons of food, we presented our BO and fearless leader with a gift of new bridles for the school horses, and we played Capture the Flag bareback. I rode the little QH gelding I have worked with for three years and haven't ridden for awhile. He was so much fun--we were flying around the ring, and I kept up with the teenagers quite well! I told the other parents I was there to represent the over-50 crowd.
                                        I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• I approach this topic with caution, but what about forming an exercise support group on this thread? I really don't want this thread to turn into a why-can't-I-look-like-a-Victoria's-Secret-model whinefest (I work with college freshmen, so I hear this all the time and think it's very sad and counterproductive). I know that as reriders, we are more sensible than that, aren't we???

Still, I know that personally I need to get in shape. Except for riding, I am very lazy. I could stand to get stronger and more fit. I could also use some support. What do you all think?
                                          I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

Working...
                                          X