• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classy - I'm at the point where I realize there's nothing I can really do about being a crier and it doesn't bother me as much as it did, but I end up feeling horrible for the person who has to deal with it! So I try to minimize that as much as I can!

My trainer did respond to my email and she fully understands and is willing to take things slowly with me - phew! I have my practice ride tomorrow and I'm both excited to finally ride and kinda worried. But since it's just a hack, I can avoid the Scary End of the ring if need be (sadly it's going to rain so we'll be in the indoor with all its gremlins) and even just stick to a walk if that's all I can handle.

I am all set with my protective vest AND that sticky spray stuff And I just ordered some Kerrits Sit Tight breeches that should be here in time for my lesson on Wednesday.

So, I am prepared. I think!

Button - sorry about your schoolie I hope they can get him feeling better! The horse you rode sounds really nice! Maybe he won't sell for awhile?

Comment

• Oh! And Classy - good luck w/ the Morgans! I LOVE Morgans - my uncle's first horse was one and I grew up riding him. He was insanely smart (and stubborn) and as honest and caring as the day was long - and with the smoothest canter in the world. I'd love to have one, but being 900 feet tall I'm not sure that will happen!

Comment

• Yes I cannot wait for him to come home!

Sorry to hear about all the pony troubles here's hoping my new one doesn't give me any. I need some of those sit tight breeches myself. I have to go through and do a purge of my tailored sportsman collection, since I got fat and stuff doesn't fit right anymore
        Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
        you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

• ClassyRide - Morgans ROCK! There was one boarded at the barn I grew up at, and the owner didn't really ride him so she let us ride him whenever we wanted. This was back in the days before everyone was crazy over liability insurance lol...we used to trail that horse all over the place. He was such a blast, and a HUGE confidence giver. His owner used to show jump him a lot, so he was a blast to jump, and IIRC he was the first horse I jumped over 3'. Anyway, have tons of fun this weekend and be sure to let us know how it goes! You are right about keeping a water bottle with me. I always leave mine in the car, definitely need to stop that. I should probably also leave one in the barns refrigerator so I always have a cold refill.

soloudinhere - I always thought Alterageous was someone's clever main s/n! Your new horse is gorgeous, bet you're excited to get started!

Button - enjoy riding the new horse. I always get attached to school horses too and need to be reminded how much I learn from riding different types of horses. I hope your schoolie feels better soon though!

My HR news is I went home briefly for a night and headed to Dover bright and early this morning. I got my first ever non no-name brand helmet. It is a Charles Owen J8, very exciting. It is soooo much more comfortable than my old one, which had expanded and started slipping down whenever I cantered or jumped. I also replaced my Ariat paddock boots (ripped at the sole) with the updated version of what I had before.
          Last edited by Event4Life; Apr. 12, 2013, 08:00 AM.
          "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
          "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Classy- Thanks for the kind words. My goal is to die a training level rider. so hopefully, I will have a long time to make that happen...

Love Morgans too!
            Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
            Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
            "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Comment

• Classy Ride-wow I am impressed with your post it looked like a lot of work to address everyone. I sometimes get tired in the middle but hey, your post is awesome ! I need more redbull....

Comment

• Thanks, ClassyRide. Hopefully my boy's abscess will be cleared up so we can still go to the show next weekend, but I obviously don't want to push him too hard, so we'll see. I trust my trainers, so if they say he can go, we'll go. I'll keep everyone posted.
                Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Comment

• This post is totally going down another track but it needs to be said:

I am SO GRATEFUL for this thread and The Re-Rider Group! Over the past week, I've been reading other threads in all the COTH forums where people are just hateful and nasty. Posters are more quick to take shots at one another than try to understand what's being written....and there's a few posters who can always be counted upon to issue some smart a$$ commentary. I've wished for a "pat on the head with a folding chair" emoticon more times than one this past week!!

So - I'm saying thanks to all the folks that post in this thread for being encouraging and supportive...for not judging other posters b/c they don't ride the "right breed" or jump high enough, or whatever. We are with horses for a variety of reasons...and it seems all the right reasons over here on this thread.

I can't keep everything straight over here b/c I'm horrible w/names and need some faces/visuals to go with the names. A few of you I've created some funny visual images based on your screen names if I haven't seen a photo of you/your critter. So forgive my posts where I don't respond to each person, but know that I appreciate your contributions to this group.

OK - sappy Friday post done...now onto the glamorous life of farm chores. Carry on.

Comment

• Finzean - I totally agree! Some positive support is often all that's needed, especially during the rough times some of us are experiencing.

On the subject of paddock boots, have any of you who live in hot climates tried the Ariat terrains or similar? I was looking at them in Dover and wondering if they'd be cooler than traditional leather boots for riding/barn work in the heat. Any opinions? The 2 reasons I'm reluctant, 1 foolish and 1 not: 1) they do not come in black, and my half chaps are black (foolish, obviously!) 2) a friend had them and they completely wore out, but that was after 3 months of intense ranch work & wearing them all day every day for 10-12 hours a day.
                    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Finzean - you are so sweet! And so right! I'm also *very* thankful for this thread and all of the positive contributers here. We all go through ups and downs and sometimes you just need a few kind words to get you through.

It means the world to me that there are so many kind people here, which is one of the reasons I try (not always successfully) to keep on top of everyone's happenings individually - because I appreciate each and every one of you.

Two of my horses are also not the "right" breed by some peoples' standards (Gabriel and Rose are both American Saddlebreds) and I tend to gloss over that on the board at large for fear it would cause a hub-bub. Thank goodness I can be open about that here.
                      ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
                      4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

Comment

• Tarheel - I hope Tajar's abcess improves over the weekend. Have fun with your shopping! I've been doing a little too much of that lately

RolyPolyPony - I hope your lessons goes well with your new vest and I'm really glad your trainer understands. Nothing wrong with walking and working on transitions. I did that myself Wednesday night. Stay cool enough and drink lots of fluids!

Classy - good luck looking at the Morgans - I just love them! I rode a Morgan cross (not sure what the cross was) a couple of years ago and I simply adored that horse! He was gaited and was so comfortable to ride, plus his personality was just awesome. Very sweet horse. I hope you find just what you're looking for soon I hope Velvet finds a great home soon too and that you have lots of good prospective buyers calling about her. Sounds like a difficult decision regarding Rose, though. Jingles for making the best one for both you and her!

Event4Life - I've been wondering about the Ariat Terrains as well. I just have a cheapo pair of neoprene riding boots and not only have I worn the tread off but my feet like they're in a furnace in the summer! They're great in the winter but not so much now. I hope there are some more breathable ones out there somewhere! Glad you like your new helmet

Finzean - have fun with those farm chores. lol I agree completely about the positivity in this thread - it's so nice not to be judged here.

I'm going to audit a Bryan Neuberg clinic this weekend at the Ag Center is Fletcher, NC. It's my first clinic to audit and I'm really looking forward to it. I hope it's a good one!

I hope everyone has a great weekend and some great rides.
                        Last edited by rubygirl1968; Apr. 12, 2013, 09:09 AM. Reason: highlighted names

Comment

• Originally posted by ClassyRide View Post

Two of my horses are also not the "right" breed by some peoples' standards (Gabriel and Rose are both American Saddlebreds) and I tend to gloss over that on the board at large for fear it would cause a hub-bub. Thank goodness I can be open about that here.
                          I think Saddlebreds are the best breed ever! I learned to ride on an older show horse and he remains my most favorite horse in the world. He was smart and forgiving, but not a pushover - he was just very gentle about showing me to ride him in the right way. When my day for getting my own horse comes I plan on trying to find a Saddlebred. Too bad it's not right now or I would look at Rose if you were selling her.

Comment

• Classy, I didn't see your post before but I think Saddlebreds are just beautiful! I've never gotten the opportunity to be around them or ride one but they're gorgeous

I never knew that there were so many right or wrong horses or ways to ride or tack to use. lol

I just go by their personality, how well I can ride them for I want to do, and how much fun I have while I'm doing it.

Comment

• The Re-Riders thread is indeed a terrific group. I feel very comfortable here. We all support each other and no one cares who is showing at what level. It's great, and I love you all! I have also developed images of what you all look like--probably all wrong, but I guess we all do that. I still like the idea of a Re-Riders field trip; maybe we can make it happen.

I do participate in other threads on the forum at large, but like most of the rest of you, I find people can be really critical; I also find those attitudes about what tack and clothes are appropriate to be (often) infuriating. I'm going to admit this to all of you now:

*The jacket I have shown in for the past five years is hunter green. I bought it used; it was probably made in the 90s.

My show helmet is velvet.

My bridle is a Crosby USET I bought used in 1979. The cheek pieces are very unfashionably wide.

My saddle is a Stubben Siegfried, also purchased used in 1979. This saddle is probably my biggest fashion faux-pas.

I show in my custom Dehner boots, a graduation gift from my parents in 1978. They are pull-ons and don't have the Spanish tops, so they are really out of style. On reflection, the boots may be a bigger fashion faux-pas than the saddle.
                              I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Dewey, compared to me you're in high style. I use a bridle that's probably 30 years old, I wear a Tipperary sportage helmet, neoprene riding boots that have doubled as barn/chore boots for past two years, I've never shown in my life and I ride in jeans. Oh, the horror!

lol

Leif doesn't care and I don't think spending alot of money on fancy stuff is going to magically improve my riding so I'm good with it

I did buy some leggings to wear because it's getting hot already and I'd like some new riding boots because the ones I have feel like I'm wearing a furnace on my feet but other than that I'm okay.

I did splurge and buy a "new to me" Thorowgood saddle because the one I was using didn't fit him and I'm in love with it! My balance is so much better and he goes much better in it.

Comment

• Dewey you are cracking me up!! I roll so old school I'm a fossil!! Velvet helmet??? Egads! Hahahahaha.

Oh I <3 The Re-Riders!!

Comment

• This is also one of my favorite threads, though I drop in only occasionally. It's very nice to be here as a dressage person with a sort of eventing background, and none of you care.

Well obviously I have a Morgan and I will admit to HUGE breed bias. Even though mine has not lived up to the breed's reputation for soundness, and has a wicked spin, she's just such a nice horse, very easy to handle and work around (though she can get pushy about food). The barn workers love her as do all the little kids. The other Morgan at the barn is hot-hot-hot but he's also a doll. He's 31 years old and holding up well, and even gets a light ride now and again. Unlike mine, he has the cute tipped-in Morgan ears.

Do remember that Morgans in general are VERY smart, which can be a mixed blessing. They have a reputation for being hot, but the temperaments range from very calm on up, and sometimes "hot" is really just a lot of forward enthusiasm.

Speaking of which... mine is returning from her latest lameness (whacked herself hard on a front leg at the end of February and probably got a bone bruise). BUT she's going very well right now... and enjoying not being stuck on "walkies" all the time. I have had a few "walk-only" lessons and now we're doing WTC, though still over 50% walk. And, yesterday I took her on her first trail ride since mid-February, when we had a brief try at it but the snow and ice were too much for her. Yesterday she was looky and a bit snorty, but really behaved herself on our 20 minute toodle around the woods and fields.
                                    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

• I have a velvet helmet too! I use it in the winter, I did get an Ovation summer helmet with all the venting but it was only $30!
                                      I, too, have some older equipment. I have always hated lace reins so my Crosby Plaited ones that are from the Mid 1970's work just fine... I have an old WOOL cooler! Nothing synthetic about it.. I love wool hate fleece...
                                      I even still have my non ASTM approved helmet. I do not ride in it but I still have it :-)...
                                      If I looked in my closet I am sure I have a pair of HArry HAll 4 way stretch breeches too...
                                      This thread makes me feel that my little conquests are okay. I do not ride as much as I would like and I improve very slowly... But you guys are great. I go away for a while and when I come back every one is just as nice as can be....
                                      The only right horse is the right horse for you no matter what... So I have a non approved breed too. Actually, most people would say he is all wrong for us but he is just right! I have a Trakehner that is so sweet and nice... I know he is a WB but should a re-rider and an 11 year old be learning on a horse like this? If you knew him you would be surprised..

Thank you to everyone for the thread..
                                      Have a nice weekend.. I have to work... :-(
                                      Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
                                      Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
                                      "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewey View Post
                                        The Re-Riders thread is indeed a terrific group. I feel very comfortable here. We all support each other and no one cares who is showing at what level. It's great, and I love you all! I have also developed images of what you all look like--probably all wrong, but I guess we all do that. I still like the idea of a Re-Riders field trip; maybe we can make it happen.

I do participate in other threads on the forum at large, but like most of the rest of you, I find people can be really critical; I also find those attitudes about what tack and clothes are appropriate to be (often) infuriating. I'm going to admit this to all of you now:

*The jacket I have shown in for the past five years is hunter green. I bought it used; it was probably made in the 90s.

My show helmet is velvet.

My bridle is a Crosby USET I bought used in 1979. The cheek pieces are very unfashionably wide.

My saddle is a Stubben Siegfried, also purchased used in 1979. This saddle is probably my biggest fashion faux-pas.

I show in my custom Dehner boots, a graduation gift from my parents in 1978. They are pull-ons and don't have the Spanish tops, so they are really out of style. On reflection, the boots may be a bigger fashion faux-pas than the saddle.
                                        while I have a lot of new stuff for this horse, it's mostly a consequence of having gotten rid of stuff over the course of a long break-- but the first saddle to hit his back will be my 1980s crosby equilibrium, which despite a total lack of support of any kind, is the saddle I feel most at home in.

And I violate all hunter sensibilities by riding everything in either plain or rubber reins. I hate lacing and plaiting is too hard to clean.

But it's okay, because I'm really an eventer
                                        Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                                        you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

• Dewey - how do you like the Siegfried? I'm sorta saddle shopping and love how the Stubbens look in general, and the Siegfried is up on my list along with the Edelweiss! I think my current saddle is even more unfashionable - a Smith Worthington Avalon! At least most people have heard of Stubben!

Anyway, I've got my first ride since fall#2 tonight - just a practice ride, and I keep getting butterflies. What are the chances he spooks for the 3rd week in a row in the same spot? *gulp* But I have my vest and I can spend the whole time walking if that's all I feel up to, so I'm trying to stay calm. Man, when did I become such a wimp?

Comment

Working...
                                          X