• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very cute pic, Super D! Jack has quite a mane!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• aww..I second Dewey. Very cute.
      “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
      ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Sheesh - VERY chatty group! I posted ... yesterday? ... and I feel like I have a week's worth of information to catch up on!

RolyPoly - So sorry about your fall I've been there. I had some BAD falls last year and the year before and it really helped to get some time on some steadfast schoolies while I was getting my confidence back on my guy. Now we're in a MUCH better place and I can handle his occasional nerves so much better! It may be worth it to get a few lessons (not a permanent move!) at another facility if yours doesn't have big enough/suitable mounts (you mentioned the other schoolies were ponies?). Then come back! Any decent instructor will understand!

Super D - cute guys! Everyone seems happy with the green grass popping up!

soloudinhere - Congrats! So easy to spend on the new pony I've been looking around for new paddock boots since mine are holding on by a thread as well as eying a dressage coat and white full seat breeches since I'm actually planning on doing events this year. Sooooo tempting to shop!

Paradox - Yes! I will be at the Columbus EA! I'm heading up with friends on Friday night to see Pfizer Fantasia and then shopping and a few clinics on Saturday. Have to head back pretty early though since I have a show on Sunday. And I liked the look of the appendix!

Dewey - I have the same goal this show season: get out and show Toby that being at a show (or any other place other than the trusty boarding facility we're at) will NOT KILL HIM. He trailers soooo well and would honestly just love to stay ON the trailer rather than get off and DO anything. Once we're at a new place, he just gets so nervous. Part of it, I'm sure, are my own nerves, so we're working on that and keeping me relaxed so I don't add to his own anxiety . It's just silly: we can do a lovely dressage test at home or jump a nice, calm 2'-2'3" course, but take him off the property? All bets are off.

Okay. I think that's it. My big news for the day was that I took Toby on a solo hack (we have a nice long trail that connects our property to a local park). Group trail rides aren't a big issue for him, but solo makes him nervous (see note to Dewey). When I got him almost two years ago, this wasn't such a big deal for him, but his health and fitness (and energy ...) have greatly improved. Well, today we managed a 20 minute hack, staying at the walk, no spooking. He was still a bit nervous/snorting, but he kept his attention on me and listened to everything I asked. Very proud

Comment

• It I so wonderful to see everybody. let me see if I can remember everyone....

Ottb and Paradox I wish I could go to AE in Columbus but dh has the car and he will not be back until the day after it is over. (sometime it sux being a one car family and having someone in the military that lets the person know with 4days notice he has to go somewhere else after drill) Have fun.

Rolly-poly Sorry about your fall. I agree with what everyone else said. Sorry I cant be more help but it has been since the early 90;s since I have had a fall of any signefance ( knocking on all sorts of wood and carring a horse shoe in back pocket) lucky I guess..

Super-d what a cuite best of luck.

Dewey I wish you luck this summer. I have close to same goals as you do, but I no longer eventing.. sanity sunk in about 25yrs ago.. ( aka had baby under a yr old and a dh who was on the other coast and no one to care for child if anything happened to me. This was before my body started to rebell). But I have the goal to be have my Toby ready for a July show un which I would be happy if he is able or wiling to jump 2'..

soloudinhere So where are the pics.?

I am sorry to those I missed.

-----
          For me I am getting nervous in advance of my lesson. Its not going to be on Toby but a sm or med pony in a western saddle just incase there is a problem with my balance. My greatest fear that I will have no balance side at all in the saddle and fall off at the walk or worse while standing still.

Just thinking about the lesson is making me shake while typing this. I don't know if is a good shake or a bad one.

I have all that I need for the lesson helmet, paddock boots and my chaps but it is my nerves that will most likely fail me.

But I cant wait...I wonder sometimes if I will be able to regain the abilies I once had...
          Friend of bar .ka

Comment

• bumknees, don't be afraid to hang on to that western saddle if you're at all feeling off balance! It will take a while to feel comfortable again. No biggy. We all go through it! Good luck, take a deep breath, and try to have fun! I think you will.

ottb, I'll be there Friday and Saturday as well, and leaving Sunday morning.
            ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't checked in for a while. So much has happened for everyone that I don't think I can respond to everyone appropriately, so for those having rough patches keep your chins up, things will work out and good times will come again.

My update: Had a terrible week last week, to the point where my regular lesson horse was described to me as my nemesis, and I may have screamed at him in the middle of my lesson. This week got a complete 180, he actually did lateral movements on Wednesday ! We were doing a little course of 4 18" jumps (one away, around a corner to a one stride pair coming home, then a very gentle rollback to one away), and one the third round I realized that the last two had been sneakily lifted to to 2'3" while I was going around the corner. It turns out that I do just fine if I don't have time to think myself into a frenzy. My real nemesis is just my own head lol.

Comment

• Congrats Button! Sometimes it is best when the jumps get raised and you aren't watching because then you don't have time to think "oooh scary jump" you just end up doing it and feeling awesome. Glad you had a nice lesson.

Comment

• I have fond memories of a previous trainer that would be messing with jumps and he would always say, "I'm not raising them, I'm just adjusting them." And they were always bigger. ;-) Good job, Button.
                  ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• I agree - congrats Button! (My trainer does the same thing to me - we start with a simple x or 2 and then all of a sudden, there are verticals and oxers of
                    2'3" and the occassional 2'6"!)

bumknees - I am sure you will do just fine. I'm thinking positive thoughts for you.

dreaminOTTB - congrats to you as well. I'm working up to the first trail ride of the season - I can't wait to just get it over with . . .

Very cute SuperD!

soloudinhere - we need pics!

Hopefully, I haven't missed anyone - if so, my apologies!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
                    http://fromdressagehorsetocowpony.blogspot.com/

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

• Thanks for all the kind words. Fingers crossed we'll be doing well again in a few hours (lesson at 4 today)!

Comment

• Let us know how it goes, Button!
                        ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Congrats on the new horse souldain!! And good luck Paradox with the TB.

Good job on your lesson, Button!

And RolyPony...take your time. Falls happen; but if you need to ride a quieter horse for a bit to find your feet again then do so.

As for me I hacked a TB mare named Sadie this morning. She hadn't been ridden in a few weeks so was a bit mare-ish tacking up. Luckily the groom was around to help because everyone else had gone out for their lesson and I still needed to bridle her. She settled by the time we got to the ring and was actually really good. Trainer wanted me to focus on getting her forward because apparently the last person who rode her had her doing an almost western jog type trot. She did such nice flatwork that at the end trainer had me hop over a few fences, which were also really nice except I dropped her into the small gate the first time. I hate when I do that!
                          "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                          "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Had a super lesson today with Iris. Outside, -2c and a bit windy, she was still really good. I put on a set of draw reins "Just in case", but didn't even need them. She really is so much better outside. Another lesson tomorrow if the weather holds. If I get enough nerve, I'll even canter.

NJR

Here's a picture...Please don't mind the lower leg...I really DO usually keep it underneath me.

http://tinyurl.com/dy7oopp
                            Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Comment

• NJR-looking good! I'm jealous of your weather too, expecting a high of 93 here today.

Had a good/sad lesson yesterday. The horse I usually ride is an older boy (17 or 18 I think), very well trained but also has a very willful temperment. He's the kind of horse who will test you constantly and loves to counterbend and cut corners and drag you over the fences. But I trust him, he's never refused a fence for me, even at times he probably should have, and he's far to lazy to spook. Sadly he also has a very stiff shoulder, usually he walks around for a few minutes and it loosens and is fine, but it seems to be talking longer and longer lately (if at all). I'm afraid he's going to get pulled from the lesson program, and I hate that because he's the only one I really really trust.

Lesson itself was pretty good, I actually got him to give me a few lateral movements and flying changes (I usually can't even coordinate myself well enough to ask, let alone convince him that I'm actually in charge and he should do things)!

Comment

• Rode today, barely he was so tired. We are having strong winds all night and into the morning. In fact, our chimney cap blew off last night. So the horses are usually up all night and very tired during the day, I felt bad. So much for my frantic morning to ride before the winds kicked up.

NJR-that is one pretty horse. She looks fun to ride.

Button-hope they find the problem with your steady eddie's shoulder. Sounds like a vet visit and some therapy are in order.

Comment

• She is fun to ride when she's not spooking! Luckily, I didn't get one spook today so that is encouraging.

Button, I'd take 93 rather than below zero any day!

Stolen, at least that is something that is easily remedied. A good sleep and he'll be right as rain.

NJR
                                  Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Comment

• Wow - sounds like lots of us are coming out of our funks and having some great times! This is wonderful!!! Congrats, whether it's because of a new horse or a good ride! NJR - Iris is GORGEOUS and you look great on her. Button - I'm sorry the older guy is getting stiff. I don't know if it helps any (since his job is to be a lesson horse), but Gabriel has had times like that. Once he gets some rest for a couple of weeks, he's usually right as rain and can come back to work for months and months, even if it's a combo of light work and regular work. I hope this boy can come back right.

I’ve had some good horse time the last few days. Thursday I took my 10 year old step-son to the barn. He wanted to ride, so I put him on Gabriel, who took great care of SS. They just walked around, but SS had a great time and said he can’t wait to ride again.

Yesterday, I met Erin at the barn. She got on Rose for the fourth time. Rose was *excellent*!!! She’s learning to steer pretty darn well and she didn’t worry at all when I left her side and went to the middle. Erin was able to keep her out on the rail and ride her around at the walk. She stopped well and was such a great baby!!! Even Erin, who isn’t a fan of Rose’s breed, was raving about how good she was the entire rest of the day.

Erin then got on Velvet to give her a ride for sale photos. Velvet had a small ‘tude on yesterday. She didn’t do anything dangerous, but didn’t have her happy face on. Haha – it was just one of those days where she said, “Hey, I was supposed to be retired, remember???” So she thinks. Silly mare.

Erin rode her baby walk/trot/canter, then I got on for walk/trot. She was a superstar, as always.

Finally, I got on Gabriel to have my confidence-building ride for the day. We rode in the big outdoor at dusk. I have to admit that I *almost* didn’t canter, but Gabriel was feeling good under me (not short-strided or stiff as he sometimes is these days) and I knew I needed to. So, I did walk/trot/canter both directions. Let me tell you just how much I love this gelding, and why he will always be my best friend – I felt kind of loose cantering (probably because I’ve barely done it in so long). 3 or 4 strides into the left lead canter, I lost my inside stirrup and got off balance. That horse shifted himself with me, first left, then right, then left again as I wobbled up there; sped up to catch me from falling forward, slowed down and lifted his front end to get me sitting back up – all in a matter of like 3 strides until I asked him to come back to a trot. He did *everything* right to save my sorry butt from coming off. God, I love him.

Yesterday was Gabriel’s 20th birthday, and I don’t know if I’ll ever find another horse that can effectively fill his shoes. But I have decided to definitely sell Velvet and, though I’m going back and forth a little, I’ll probably sell Rose so that I can afford a different mount. And I’m going to look high and low to try to find another saintly gelding, but this time try to get one that’ll jump (that’s the only thing I want to do that Gabriel dislikes with a passion). This new horse is going to have some gigantic shoes to fill, but I believe there’s got to be one out there that'll be the right fit.
                                    ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
                                    4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

Comment

• CR - Yay for taking your SS to the barn! Horses make for great quality family time. The 12 y/o at my new place comes out with her mom often and its wonderful to see how strong their relationship is, especially with the kid coming into her teenage years. Do you have Gabriel on any joint supplements? Maybe something like Glucosamine would help with his stiffness? Good for you for making some difficult decisions about the other two - hang in there!

I rode two today. One was a POA(? - she's 14.2 so I guess could be an Appy) mare whose only had ~60 days on her then had time off, so she was kind of wiggly and a bit spooky but is definitely going to make a nice steady-eddy for the lessons/camp kids after a few more rides under her belt. Then I got to ride the really nice Hanoverian sales gelding. He's a former Eventer and was fantastic! All in all another awesome barn day. Its finally getting hotter around these parts though, and I need to relearn how to stay hydrated. I downed 2 full 2 liter water bottles and a small gatorade after my rides today and I still feel a bit light headed.
                                      "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                                      "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Soloudinhere, congrats on the new horse. We are all waiting for the pics! Where are they?

bumknees, how was the lesson? We are eager to hear all about it!

CR, It sounds as if you've made up your mind. For what it is worth, I think you've made the right decision. Your dream horse is out there.

I'm off to the barn now. It's a beautiful afternoon.
                                        I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Hello everyone!!

I want to thank everyone for helping me with suggestions and advice it has been greatly appreciated. Today, I found my instructor I have been searching for! I am going to start by taking lessons 2x week and maybe half lease a school horse in the future. They have 4 school horses there from training level to FEI. There are 2 instructors, one for lower levels and one for the upper levels. Lots of nice horses-they all seem happy and content. I am going to start this week with lessons and I can't wait!! I am hoping to get to the level I was very quickly and advance from there. I never would have advanced at the other barn that trainer was doing
                                          everything she could to make sure of that! The people at work were telling me to run too and they know nothing about horses! It's very hard to be treated like a beginner when you are not. Thank you all again!

Comment

Working...
                                          X