• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here are all the new guy's pictures (most recent are last)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1183341...7632683714915/
    Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
    you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

• Alterageous, he is lovely! I like the way he is put together, and he has such a sweet, eager expression. And what a brave boy over those fences! I think you are going to have fun with him! What are you going to call him?

I guess you must have gotten him from CANTER Mid-Atlantic as I recognize jleegriffith who also posts on CoTH, I believe.
      I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewey View Post
        Alterageous, he is lovely! I like the way he is put together, and he has such a sweet, eager expression. And what a brave boy over those fences! I think you are going to have fun with him! What are you going to call him?

I guess you must have gotten him from CANTER Mid-Atlantic as I recognize jleegriffith who also posts on CoTH, I believe.
        Yes, that's our own Jleegriffith up for most of the pictures and she has done a super job talking me through all this!
        you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

• Congrats, Alteragous!

And good luck Paradox!

I have a bad cold, and my horse has one too, so no riding for us this weekend.

Hope those who have taken spills lately are feeling better!
          Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Comment

• also, congrats Alteragous ! I have a Canter Cutie as well. I also debated with myself for well over a year about a new horse.

And for the "lawn darts" hope you are both taking nice hot baths with a good libation. Also hope that you both bounce back soon.

Paradox. hope everything goes well, I love appendix horses.

I took the last 3 days off work, my son seems to be OK right now. I think the fear will come out again. What a strange week this has been. I did ride Wed. it feels good to be riding again. I did upset the baby cantering in two point, he turned around and looked like "hey, where did you go ?"I also watched the trainer ride him today, what a talented little man he is. She set up some canter poles to a small vertical, he was great and knew that missing the first pole would require adjustments in his stride and he was great, lots of chaos in the barn and ring.

Hope everyone has a nice Easter weekend. I am enjoying a nice glass of wine, thinking of a hot bath....

Comment

• Waiting with baited breath to hear from Paradox!

Also, I finally posted on the ReRiders MyFitnessPal group thread! It's been several weeks for me, but I finally started my modest exercise program.
              I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• I went and watched another instructor today. It was in a beautiful location with great views. The first thing I see was tons of manure in a paddock but I looked in the stalls and they were clean. The last place I was at everything was clean even the paddocks. Then I meet the instructor who seemed nice enough. Rider #1 was having problems and the instructor kept yelling "Kick him hard" wow that made me cringe. Then the rider jerked on the reins and the hoses head went up and I gasped loud enough for the instructor to hear. She wanted to know what was wrong. I told her I am not used to it.She proceeded to tell me the rider is very timid and shy and doesn't like to discipline- right in front of her! Poor rider was very frustrated and trust me the instructor didn't help any. Next rider came in and it was a bit better but I still didn't like her style.

In the meantime, the instructor I had is texting me with messages like "Toi (horse) misses you, he is waiting for you to drive up. I guess she feels a little guilty I of course don't respond.

So its back to square one i finding a trainer hope you are having a great weekend and have a good easter too!

Comment

• Zacdos-- I know students are a reflection of the trainer, but it is tough to judge a trainer without knowing the horse or student well.

If you watched some of my lessons in which I am openly beating up a school pony, it might not be pretty-- but what you're looking for is progress, and some degree of positivity. I personally don't like trainers that are all smiles, because sometimes, the horse is being a brat, the rider isn't being firm enough, and you just have to say get tough with him. I gave a school pony a right smack last week because he was NOT listening, and I was tired of asking politely and being ignored.

Not sure where you're located but almost all our paddocks are a mess right now with mud that makes them very difficult to clean. We do the best we can but when you can't get a wheelbarrow in there, not much you can do.

Comment

• Alterageous:

You have some good ideas most I had never thought of. Yes it is muddy here in the PNW and lots of rain means mud!!! I think it is hard to watch a trainer for one or two lessons and it is kind of hit and miss. You don't know where the horse or rider is in their career and like you say look for progress and the only way to do that is go back and watch the same rider and horse a few weeks later. It is a lot different than it was 40 years ago when there weren't many trainers to choose from. I will keep looking and making notes about the trainers and I am learning a lot about the different styles. The more I look the more I will learn and hopefully I will find the right one-it may even be someone I didn't like in the beginning! Keeping an open mind is essential!

Comment

• Rode today again, I am actually feeling like I can ride again. He is great, I trimmed his mane yesterday and he stood in the cross ties like a champ. Today he stood there again while I talked with people and it was so chaotic but he was happy and relaxed in the cross ties again. I'm not feeling the pressure to get him put away quickly anymore.

Wow, I'm starting to not resent Mr. Stolen's gym time anymore. Life is fun again with my horse.

Comment

• Throw down hoe down with the Amazon today. She shows mighty talent for throwing her butt waaaayyyyy over her head! This was on the lunge and she was dragging me everywhere. I did get on but she spent that time bowed up and slinging her head - just so cranky today. We finished on a good note and I put her back on the lunge for a couple of rounds each way on voice commands and she was perfect. IDK what was up with her - first thing she did today was break the tie string at the time out tree. So very unlike her usual self. She prefers the time out tree to get groomed and tacked as she can see all her pals. Just one of those days. Tmrw rain so we will give it a whirl Monday. The horses are all in paddocks as the pastures just got reseeded. I'm thinking Amazon just misses her daily laps as she is on a self imposed exercise program consisting of galloping full out for a couple of rounds each day while her bumper car turn out buddy struggles to keep up. Or maybe she was just having a really really really bad day. . Hope everyone is having a great Weekend!

Comment

• Maybe she is pissed that she did not get some blue eggs ?? Tiss the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by stolen virtue View Post
                            Maybe she is pissed that she did not get some blue eggs ?? Tiss the season.
                            LOL!! Funny you should say that as I've been fielding calls all week long from people wanting some of our blue eggs for Easter & then being irritated when I tell them there's a wait list longer than my arm. Ha!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewey View Post
                              Great post, Finzean. Would love to see a pic of you and the Amazon. I am fascinated by the description of your business! Sounds wonderful!

I am doing better, thanks. The arm is much less sore. Now I have a spot on my ribcage that is sore, especially when I cough or sneeze, but I expect that to lessen with time. I suspect I cracked a rib as a result of my previous fall (about a month or two ago), and the pain from that lessened and was gone after a few weeks.
                              I have a farm website that is not quite ready for prime time. I'll link it in my sig once I'm happy with it. Should be soon if I can stay awake at night to finish it. haha

Hope the ribs are doing better. I cracked a couple a few weeks before Xmas when the Bumper Car mare "bumpered" me off the trailer - just got to where I can sleep okay without all the propping pillows about 2 weeks ago. I hate rib injuries. Raising my cup of Breakfast Blend to fast healing!!

Comment

• UGH! Yesterday was NOT the day to be riding in my neck of the woods. Apparently all the horses are twitterpated and full of the Spring Sillies. I'm sorry - I feel like I've been such a negative Nelly lately. I've been in a bad stretch lately...

My friend and I got to the barn in time to see a young girl struggling to stay on her temper-tantrum-throwing mare. Everyone was fine, but it was scary.

I pulled my 3 in and tacked up Velvet. I could tell she was a little “up” but I figured she’d work out of it and be fine. I rode her for a few minutes with a couple head tosses, then she decided to do multiple rear/bucks and almost dislodged me. I stayed on her, my friend took hold of the bridle and we walked around a bit. She let go of her and I continued to walk her for a couple more minutes, but I felt she was still balled up. So, I dismounted, hand-walked her, she started trying to rear/buck in hand, so I took her to the roundpen and ran her little booty around for quite a while. Here’s a picture of an unhappy Velvet in the roundpen. It took me over an hour to get her mind screwed back on enough to have her politely hand-walk.

Then we got out my friend’s filly. This filly is *so* mellow every day, but her head was in the air and she was full of “go” today. She didn’t do anything bad, but wasn’t nearly as willing to “whoa” or gear down as normal. Seeing as this super-mellow girl was even “up” we decided my friend would not get on Rose. She did, however, take her to the roundpen and surprisingly she listened quite well! She tested my friend a few times, but listened well when she showed Rose she meant it. I also pulled Gabe out for a hand-walk/graze. I almost got on him (he’s my go-to for confidence building ‘cause he’s *such* a good boy), but it was getting late and I was tired and I think I would’ve left entirely defeated if, for some reason, he wasn’t his normal good self.

My friend and I went to dinner after all this and I expressed my frustration with how I have *no* confidence right now, and how I’m half-way afraid to ride Velvet (and won’t even consider getting on Rose until she gets a few miles on her). She told me in a very nice way that if my confidence doesn’t improve in a few months, perhaps I should consider selling Velvet and Rose and getting a nice, calm Morgan or Haflinger because I need a confidence-building horse. I adore each of my horses and would hate to sell any of them, but to be entirely honest, I am considering it. I once had a very wise person tell me that horses are *far* too expensive to not enjoy them.

I was very confident when I was in regular lessons (I got Velvet and Rose while I had that confidence), but the time off has completely killed it. Gabriel is my go-to horse. I trust him with my life, but he’s tough to canter. Not a bad boy, just hard to push into it (he’d rather trot really fast). And since he’s gotten older, he’s only occasionally sound for it, which doesn’t help get his transition smooth. Being that canter is my big issue, I am in need of an animal that I can canter consistently on and not worry about anything, and I just don’t have that right now.

....In more exciting news, I'm waiting on pins and needles to hear about ParadoxFarm's visit with the appendix! And Alterageous, that Canter Cutie is ADORABLE!!!! Congratulations!
                                ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
                                4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

Comment

• Very, very stressful day yesterday. I did not plan to go to the barn, because this cold I have is ridiculously bad. But my BO/trainer had an emergency, and I went to help out (BO/trainer has become a friend over the last few years).

Her wonderful, been there/done that school horse, who I love second only to my own horse, had an accident and suffered a serious laceration on his right hind leg. The vet came out, and determined that the bone is in fact lacerated, so after it was cleaned and bandaged, they brought him to Auburn for treatment. He'll be there several days, and he'll be on stall rest for quite a while.

My heart is just breaking that he is so badly injured. He is such a wonderful horse. Whenever I am struggling EQ wise, I take a lunge line lesson on this old guy and I make huge progress. And he has such a great personality.

And I worry for my friend, because she has had this horse for over 15 years. He is a family member, not just a horse.

Anyway, jingles for his recovery would be appreciated. And does anyone have any experience with bone lacerations?
                                  Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Comment

• Aargh!! I can see I'm not going to get out of this one easy! Yesterday the trainer texted me saying the horse misses me and today she called and texted wanting to know how I was doing and how horrible it is. She must know I am pissed. If she knows I am not hurt she will try to make me come and take more lessons! I am all done with horses for now!!

Comment

• Finzean, I look forward to seeing the website!

Paradox, any word about the Appendix mare?

Alterageous, how have your first few days of horse ownership gone?

Tarheel, so sorry to hear about the injury to the faithful school horse. I don't know anything about a lacerated bone except that it sounds nasty. I'm jingling for your old friend.

CR, it sounds as though you are having some good self-assessment. I am sure you will decide the right thing for you. Having three horses is a lot for anyone, especially when one of them is as green as Rose. I agree with whoever it was that said that horses are too expensive not to be fun. That sentiment is one that shows up frequently on CoTH. I guess we all need to be reminded.

zacdoes, does your former trainer not know that you are not returning? She needs to. Tell her you're looking for a program that better suits your needs so she'll stop pestering you. Telling the horse owner only what she needed to know was one thing, but you have to level a bit with the trainer. Good luck.

Comment

• Tarheel, many jingles being sent to the schoolie and I will keep your friend in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry this happened - I am sure your friend appreciated you coming out to help.

Zacdos, I can't recall - did you tell the trainer you had decided not to lesson any longer? If not, perhaps you need to tell her as much, in a polite but matter-of-fact, business-like way. If you have already done so, then she has no right continuing to contact you and I would remind her in a firm tone that as much as you enjoyed the horse, you simply want to go in a different direction with your learning. It bothers me immensely when people will not take "no" for an answer - I feel like it's disrespectful. Best of luck - try not to let this one situation sour you to equestrian pursuits. There are many genuinely wonderful horse people out there.

Comment

• And thank you so much for your kind words, Dewey. I'm going to try to see if the next couple of months get me anywhere. If I get my confidence back, excellent. If not, my friend will have been helping work Velvet and Rose for a couple of months and they'll be slightly more marketable than they are today because they'll have been back in a regular program. Both are excellent horses, but both need a more confident rider than I am at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                          X