• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only time I weight more than I have since I was 13 is when I was preg. and when I was dx'd with cancer a few years ago. Which seemed to dropped off when I had my stroke.. would not recomed that "diet" lol (45lbs over night literaly)...
    Friend of bar .ka

Comment

• ParadoxFarm – I’m so happy for you! Hooray for being able to ride again! You’re doing awesome.

Alterageous – Congrats! It’s amazing when it all comes together and you have a great ride!

Event4Life – Sounds like you’ve been having some awesome days in the saddle! I know that feeling of: there’s no place I’d rather be than at the barn. It’s why we’re all so nutty in love with our beasts.

Bumknees – ROFL at the breeches made of cast iron that sadly are not Rust. I’m SO happy you are in your new place. I really despise moving and totally understand how things get thrown into various boxes. I hope you assemble all of your pony toys soon.

Dewey – I am SO happy for you that Sky is not only doing better, but she and you had such a great time at the show! Congrats!!! That’s wonderful!

Finzean – I’ve heard that jogging in carts is an excellent way to train horses and get their fitness up. I don’t know the first thing about it, but I would think that’d be a great way to work her in these conditions if you can find someone knowledgeable enough to start her right with it (I’ve been told the only downside to this type of work is that it can be dangerous when they’re green to it, so they need an experienced hand at first). Let me know if you find gold in all that mud – I’ll happily become a partner and invest in the business.

Jaslyn – Sounds like a fun-filled day! Good for you for knowing how to engage those brains – flying a 17.1 hand kite is never a fun thing. You’re going to get to announce a show??? How cool is that?! I wanna! Also, great news on the job front! Hooray for meeting “the minimum requirements”… Good luck with your oral exam!

TwelveBelles – Congrats on the improvement! Sometimes all you need is to “give up” and try to just enjoy the ride. Does wonders.

Quietann – ROFLMAO!! Love the “evil mare face” Feronia has on because she doesn’t want to be outside. I’m so glad she’s doing better.

…..

As for me, the move couldn’t really have gone much better this weekend. I’ll post details in a little while – probably more toward lunch time. But everyone made it safely there and I was quite proud of my three little beasties.
      ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
      4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

Comment

• Quietann, that picture is a riot. You should start a contest for the best caption.
        I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• So, here’s the tale of the move yesterday…

I had two friends come with me so there were 3 people for 3 horses. I have awesome friends – they spent almost the entire day travelling around to help me get the horses to the new barn. When we made it to the old farm, we figured our game plan would be to load Velvet first (ex-racehorse who is a total pro at loading), then put on Gabriel (because I know he’d want to be with his “woman”), then put on Rose (since she’s the baby, I figured she’d get on best if she saw the others were doing it). But, with horses, you have to think on the fly sometimes.

My friend Erin took Velvet first, who did load like a pro (as I knew she would). As she was hooking her up in the trailer, Velvet started to scream out to her friends, which caused a bit of a tizzy. Gabriel was jigging circles around my friend Ashley, and I had a hold of baby Rose, who screamed back, popped her front end up and flew back a few steps. At that point, BO said she’d recommend I load Rose next – I was thinking the same thing. So, I walked her right up to the trailer. I stepped up, but stopped and let her sniff the floor for a few moments. Once I saw her relax a bit, I kissed to her and started walking – and she came right on up! Good girl! She stood like a rock to be tied up, we closed her divider, then I went and got Gabriel. I also walked him practically right on – he’s never been the best trailer loader, but all he did was hesitate and take 1 step backward once. I gave him a little tug and kissed and he came right on the trailer, as well. What awesome horses I have! I love them!

The ride was long. When we were nearing the end, we made a short pit stop just to pick up our various cars in a mall parking lot we’d all met at (Ashley said, “Not everyone can say their horses have been to the mall!!”) That is the first and only time I heard someone stomping around and making a little bit of a fuss (it was Gabriel – he really dislikes trailer rides and says that when we stop, we’d better be getting off this horrid ride!), but it wasn’t bad. And then we went the last 20 minutes to the new farm. Everyone got off the trailer really well, too – no over-exuberance or leaping off the trailer. We led them into the barn and stuck them each in their stalls. That was the only thing that was a little tough – every single one of them wanted to rush out of their stalls before we got the doors closed, but none of them succeeded.

The two adult horses were somewhat anxious and didn’t really settle in completely last night. I think I rocked their world (they’d been at the other barn for almost 3 years), but I know that in a couple of days they’ll be alright. The baby couldn’t have cared less – she said, “There’s food, there’s water, there’s bedding – I’m good.”

They’ve already been turned out today. Erin lives very close to the barn and helped turn them out. She sent me a pic of them running out there – she said they’re pretty wound up (I expect them to be for a few days because they haven’t had any good turnout for a long time), but the BO said he’ll watch them, and Erin’s going to go back out in an hour or so to check on them. I’m going to go back out tonight after work to check on them, too.

Today is a nervous day for me – just hoping they’re all doing ok. But thank you to everyone who wished me luck with the move, because it worked!

Comment

• Glad it went well, CR - I was just wondering if there was an update!

I had another fantabulous barn day :-D. Knowing that its going to rain tomorrow & I didn't get out yesterday (cold and windy = time to paint the bathroom, in my world!), I planned to spend most of the day today. Luckily my new-found "dubs" friend Sam (who is actually my age, what a concept!) was out all day too. We worked Molly Brown & Cinders, the two ex Amish horses. Cinders got to try at being ponied, which went really well. She was so good with lunging & ponying that we called it a day after that. Molly Brown (who will hereafter be known as "MB") did great lunging & even better u/s. One of the borders suggested trying driving terms with her, so we did with me in the saddle & the trainer on the ground for reassurance. The driving terms worked really well - we used those with leg & rein aids. She has a good brain and I think she'll get the idea quickly.

Then we went for lunch & came back in time for the farrier. Had some fun rounding up wild ponies (literally). I had to leave to pick the kiddo I tutor up from school. It was so nice out that I went back after tutoring & rode River. He's definitely feeling more in shape & is definitely more "up" in chillier weather, lol. We worked on our canter left depart & long and low since he curls up and gets BTV constantly. My goal is to get him (and me!) in shape enough so we can actually have a productive lesson - I'm not paying to bring an instructor out unless I know we'll get something out of it!

All in all, a great day, and I get to spend tomorrow catching up on work for this week. Fun times .
            "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
            "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Wow - sounds like an excellent day for you, Event4Life! Are the ex-Amish horses Saddlebreds, Standardbreds, or some other type? I know that the typical Amish horses I see on the roads around here are Saddlebreds and Standardbreds - only occasionally do I see anything else.

Interesting that River wants to be BTV all the time. I've seen quite a few COTH posts about various OTTBs wanting to do that. Obviously, not all of them do - Velvet, luckily for me, goes in a very nice, natural frame at the Canter, but she wants to be a giraffe in the trot. Go figure.

....I went to check on my horses last night. Everyone is settling in pretty well. The only one still not quite settled was Gabriel. I was a little surprised at that, but really, he is probably the most nervous of my three in general. Oddly, he's bombproof when you're riding him (he spooks in place at things - never bolts or anything), but I think that's from some excellent training somewhere in his past, because he can get tense pretty often about stuff. Poor boy. When I brought them in from their pasture, Gabriel was just pacing in his stall, so I took him out and walked him all over the barn so he could see *everything* - and that really seemed to help him. By the time I left, everyone was happily tucked in and eating hay.

I'll post a picture of the three of them when I can figure out how - I thought you could attach pictures to posts, but maybe that's changed. And I can't remember my Photobucket password. I'll figure it out and post it eventually!

Comment

• CR. Around here the Amish horses are normally Standardbreds usually but sometimes not OTTSTD. On occasion you will see a TB.
                Friend of bar .ka

Comment

• I bought myself a pair of fancy field boots as a present for myself for having such a good ride for my first jumps in at least 9 years.

Now I'm coveting saddles again...must acquire horse first!
                  Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                  you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

• ClassyRide - there is no gold, as yet...

AND IT'S STILL RAINING!!!!!

Whew, that felt better to get it all out...

Comment

• Sounds like everyone had a productive weekend!

ClassyRide - so glad your move went well.

Quietann - your Feronia should meet my Dodger - they can make evil faces together! Dodger likes to be outside - for about half a day - any more (unless he is out on pasture with the girls) is just too much for him and he starts to make faces and paw at the gate. He really likes the comfort/security of his stall. Ah well, he is a quirky kind of guy.

Had a marvelous lesson, per my trainer, on Sunday. (She does not give praise lightly - so, I was pretty happy.) We were jumping three jumps arranged on a circle, x to vertical to oxer. Learning to maintain bend, look ahead and control the beast. Had some miscues and at first managed to get over two, but not all three jumps. Finally, was able to get all three in both directions at least twice. Learned a ton! The surprising thing is, once I got it - stopped thinking and started feeling, it seemed so easy and felt so easy.

We talked about the upcoming hunter show - she thinks I should event instead! She must see something I don't or maybe I'm just not a "pretty" enough rider for the hunter ring?! She's thinking we will try to do something mid to late summer . . .
                      http://fromdressagehorsetocowpony.blogspot.com/

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

• Originally posted by Alterageous View Post
                        I bought myself a pair of fancy field boots as a present for myself for having such a good ride for my first jumps in at least 9 years.

Now I'm coveting saddles again...must acquire horse first!
                        Congrats on the boots! What did you get??

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

• Originally posted by ClassyRide View Post
                          Wow - sounds like an excellent day for you, Event4Life! Are the ex-Amish horses Saddlebreds, Standardbreds, or some other type? I know that the typical Amish horses I see on the roads around here are Saddlebreds and Standardbreds - only occasionally do I see anything else.

Interesting that River wants to be BTV all the time. I've seen quite a few COTH posts about various OTTBs wanting to do that. Obviously, not all of them do - Velvet, luckily for me, goes in a very nice, natural frame at the Canter, but she wants to be a giraffe in the trot. Go figure.

....I went to check on my horses last night. Everyone is settling in pretty well. The only one still not quite settled was Gabriel. I was a little surprised at that, but really, he is probably the most nervous of my three in general. Oddly, he's bombproof when you're riding him (he spooks in place at things - never bolts or anything), but I think that's from some excellent training somewhere in his past, because he can get tense pretty often about stuff. Poor boy. When I brought them in from their pasture, Gabriel was just pacing in his stall, so I took him out and walked him all over the barn so he could see *everything* - and that really seemed to help him. By the time I left, everyone was happily tucked in and eating hay.

I'll post a picture of the three of them when I can figure out how - I thought you could attach pictures to posts, but maybe that's changed. And I can't remember my Photobucket password. I'll figure it out and post it eventually!
                          Glad your ponies are doing well in their new home, CR. I'm sure Gabriel will figure it out soon! I think younger ones often are less "stuck in their way" so more adaptable to a new situation. I bet its a relief for you to be able to see them more frequently!

River is a never made it to the track OTTB - he was bred to race, but I think they figured out early on in his training that he's too lazy! LOL. Interesting about other OTTBs being BTV. He's the first one I worked with so I have nothing to compare. With him its definitely evasion rather than not knowing better though. His owner warned me this would be the case so I know I can expect more, though I do want to take our time building his muscle back up.

As for the amish guys, MB is I'm pretty sure full standardbred. The other one, Cinders, is I think a cross of some kind...maybe with Quarter Horse? She has a gait but she also has a true trot - its really weird & I don't know enough about gaited horses to identify/describe it.
                          "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiger Horse View Post
                            Ditto! interested.
                            you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

• Finally had some okay temps to ride... I got it in before the rain also! Yes, we have an indoor but it is really raw out now with the dampness. Each lesson I feel like I am really going to love this horse. I had my doubts just becuased Tyler wa our heart horse. I think Marrakesch is going to be a close second... The lesson was amazing. He was soft and supple and I am getting the insdie leg to outside rein! YEAH! He will round for me and we are working on our walk trot transitions while I keep the contact and it is working! I am so proud of myself!
                              Glad everyone is doing well and is winter over yet?
                              Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
                              Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
                              "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Comment

• Originally posted by ivy62 View Post
                                Finally had some okay temps to ride... I got it in before the rain also! Yes, we have an indoor but it is really raw out now with the dampness. Each lesson I feel like I am really going to love this horse. I had my doubts just becuased Tyler wa our heart horse. I think Marrakesch is going to be a close second... The lesson was amazing. He was soft and supple and I am getting the insdie leg to outside rein! YEAH! He will round for me and we are working on our walk trot transitions while I keep the contact and it is working! I am so proud of myself!
                                Glad everyone is doing well and is winter over yet?
                                Good for you ivy - that is a huge accomplishment!

Counting the days until winter is done - rained a good portion of yesterday, than had snow last night . . . lovely (and not in a good way!) . . .

Comment

• Woo-hoo! I got my photobucket password figured out. I have this set to public, so you all should be able to see it. Here's a picture my friend Erin took when my three got turned out the first morning. Man, they were loving getting to stretch their legs!

Comment

• Originally posted by ClassyRide View Post
                                    Woo-hoo! I got my photobucket password figured out. I have this set to public, so you all should be able to see it. Here's a picture my friend Erin took when my three got turned out the first morning. Man, they were loving getting to stretch their legs!
                                    GREAT picture! - looks like they are enjoying all that turnout and grass!

Comment

• Hi everyone!!
                                      Thought I would join your posts. I am an adult rerider who has struggled with confidence issues for a few years now. ( only with jumping) I own 2 wonderful geldings one of which is my heart horse.

I was doing really well up until this year. I was unsure where I wanted to be riding wise. I do not have the talent I had before i took my 5 year break. I retired my heart horse after many illnesses and lameness issues and started my green bean after i bought him about a year and a half ago. Got the basics on him and started his jumping ( he is uber talented!!)

A friend talked me into trying eventing and I moved the boys over last summer. I put my young guy in training and he took to eventing like a duck to water.

I have now lost all desire to ride!!! I want my trainer to compete him to the higher levels and I just be the owner/groom.

I haven't ridden him since early December and I can only afford for my trainer to ride him twice a week. He is not fit to start competing in the end of March when the first trials begin. I really hope it is just the winter talking and once the weather warms up a bit I will want to ride again!!

UGH I hate winter!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiger Horse View Post
                                        Parlanti Miami.

Comment

• Welcome, superD. This is a great group here. (Well, I think so!). We can all relate to feeling less than confident at times.

Do you think your not wanting to ride has anything to do with being talked into eventing? I know I am comfortable jumping, say, 3'6" in the arena, but I don't feel remotely comfortable jumping 2' in the field in XC. Maybe because you're gearing your horse to event you're not comfortable? Maybe come back to something you are comfortable with and enjoy more and don't worry about what others say about that decision. Horses are expensive to own and upkeep and it's hard if you're not enjoying it. Or maybe you're just not as comfortable with a younger horse? I had to sell two youngsters because I just was not having fun with them. I now have a teenager that I LOVE. And I'm enjoying riding again. A lot. (Well, was before broke my ankle...long story).

Good luck finding the fun, and welcome.
                                          “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
                                          ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                                          X