• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got to ride today! Yeah, but I was so exhausted from work that we trotted a little and walked alot. We worked on our turns and staying in the bend and change of bend. Over all a very nice ride for me. Hopefully, my trainer will make it back from Florida soon. we are expecting bad weather AGAIN!
    On to next week......
    Always try and enjoy the ride.....should never not be fun!
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Comment

• I hope all of you have a great weekend and that those of you in the northeast stay safe this weekend. Looks like nasty weather headed your way!

For those of use that can hopefully ride - enjoy! I plan on putting his french link back in and riding tomorrow. It's going to be better.. I have a mantra now, push, more leg, don't pull - push, more leg, don't pull. lol

Finzean, I wish I could! Sounds like a blast - love riding different horses

Comment

• rubygirl, good for you. Put the bit in, and chant your chant, and have fun!

Yes, I hope all of you up north stay warm and dry! It's not too awful here, 43 degrees, but somewhat wet. I will ride tomorrow. Yay! Ride number 3. Hopefully it's even better than ride number 2.
        “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
        ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Hope anyone who is in the path of or enduring Nemo is ok.

Even though Finn is for sale, he still gets worked by me. He is still mine. So, we worked on the lunge both ways - lord it's hard getting him to just WALK on the lunge. Apparently, he was taught to either trot or stop. Period. Then I got on him for a bit - he was very good. And, I had a small, but important, AHA moment. I asked him to trot a right circle - head cranked out, kind of fussy. Don't know where it came from, but today, instead of getting handsy, I just relaxed my reins and move my hands forward just a bit.

Hello there nice trot with a nice bend to the right!!!!

Duh!!!
          And nothing bad happened!

Comment

• Hi, everyone - been since Christmas since I've been on. But starting my company any time now, and still working on all the logistics. I'll be doing insurance claims work. They won't hire me directly, but I'll do it for them as an LLC. Wish me luck!

It just takes so much time to keep up here. But I read the last few pages and admit I miss being here. But, hey, I hardly get to ride the horse right now either. Been trying to 4x a week, but for the past month, it's only been perhaps 2x a week.

At least I don't have to be on to talk out any problems - knock on wood. The horse is barefoot this winter and so far so good. Barn owner still takes nice care. But sometimes, being a novice horse person, she does need a little convincing for some requests. But so much better than last year.

Jealous of all you southerners being able to ride and show right now. But at least we don't have flies...?

Just thought I'd check in and say "hi" to the good friends here who are so supportive. So glad for those who have been able to get past the issues of recent. Finding good horses, good homes, hopefully jobs as well. I'll try to do better to stay in touch.
            But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

• So, after a nice ride in the am, I went to support some barn mates at an indoor hunter show. Everyone did really well and I must admit to wanting to have a go! Purchased a fitted saddle pad, now I just need some of those lovely hunter breeches - good god who decided that colour was flattering?! Next show is late March, something to think about!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Hoping our Eastern COTHERS are all OK.
              http://fromdressagehorsetocowpony.blogspot.com/

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

• Lots of snow -- I mean LOTS -- here, but we are fine. Never even lost power!

Like many of you, I am struggling with the winter blahs and so is my mare. We are STUCK in the indoor (too much snow to ride out!) and I do mean STUCK. She's been slow, grumpy, and every ride has a part where we hate each other. Usually it improves after that! She had joint injections 10 days ago, which has helped some, but we're not happy campers right now.

Thing is, we both wanna be jumpers, and we're not really allowed to jump. I trot/canter "courses" of ground poles with her, and it's like I'm a different rider on a different horse. All the things that need to happen, that I struggle with on the flat, come together. She's forward, responsive, ears pricked and happy. It's just automatic. Not pretty I am sure, but effective. (We both were at 3-feet-plus -- though not with each other as she was HOT! to the fences at that time -- when I had my accident, and then not terribly long after that she had her suspensory surgery, so we're "grounded" so to speak.) Crossrails are probably OK (we were having fun with them in the fall before she went lame) but I need a crash vest, seriously.
                You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

• Had my first experience riding in a pelham last week after not having ridden in one in at least 10 years. Too many reins!

I figured it out but I also figured out I have a habit of relaxing my pinky and letting the reins slide, which is a lot more obvious when you have 2 reins! horse was a good sport and trainer was kind enough not to make fun of my ineptitude.
                  Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                  you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alterageous View Post
                    Had my first experience riding in a pelham last week after not having ridden in one in at least 10 years. Too many reins!

I figured it out but I also figured out I have a habit of relaxing my pinky and letting the reins slide, which is a lot more obvious when you have 2 reins! horse was a good sport and trainer was kind enough not to make fun of my ineptitude.
                    Alterageous I know what you mean! My trainer keeps hinting that my guy would probably do really well in a Pelham. I don't think I'm coordinated enough!

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

• Quietann glad to hear you are a-ok! That was some storm.

Welcome to my world - I bought my guy because I wanted to pursue dressage. But, he so wants to be a hunter. He tries hard to do the dresage work, but there is no joy in it. Since I have made the switch - we are both having a blast! So, get your vest - I have one - and have fun.

Comment

• Glad the folks in the Northeast are ok, and thanks for checking in, CVPeg! Starting a business is very time-consuming and I envy those with the courage to do so. Good luck in your new endeavor.

My guy is doing very well, and is now my ride for both of my weekly lessons. Yesterday was the first time since September of 2011 that I jumped him outside in a lesson. He was a bit enthusiastic, but not bad. He feels great, so I'm going to have to spend more time doing no stirrup work. I think I'm going to try to do a barn fun show in early May. I'm thinking that we will do a 2' warmup class, and then do a couple of flat classes. That should give me a good idea of whether or not he will be ok. Right now the vets and chiro say he will be totally back to normal, which is the 3' Adult Ammys.
                        It's 2017. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiger Horse View Post
                          Alterageous I know what you mean! My trainer keeps hinting that my guy would probably do really well in a Pelham. I don't think I'm coordinated enough!
                          I keep getting the same thing about one of the horses I ride. So far he hasn't been strong enough to warrant it (with me) but apparently he has known to be....I'm with you guys though, I had to ride one horse all summer in England in a pelham and I sucked it up but didn't like it. Guess I'll never be an upper level dressage rider, lol.
                          "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                          "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Sounds like we are ALL ready for warmer weather and better footing!!

Rode Sat & Sun - lots of trotting and bending in the ring. The footing is too sketchy elsewhere to risk it, I feel. Started pouring rain here about 2 hours ago...3 more days of rain forecasted within this week. Suckfest. REALLY ready for things to dry out. We don't have an indoor and I'd love to be able to pop the new mare over a few fences... Patience, Grasshopper... blech.

Cheers to a great week for everyone, where ever you are!

Comment

• Raining here so no riding today . I went to stay w/ my mom last weekend as she was home alone so haven't ridden since Thursday. I'm going to be in desperate need of fresh air and horses by the time I get to the barn tomorrow morning!

Hope all of you in the north east are staying safe, warm & dry!
                              "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                              "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Hey everyone. Sorry I’ve been absent for a couple of weeks – life gets so busy sometimes. I’m glad to hear that a few of you who weren’t able to ride for one reason or another are back in the saddle and kickin’ some butt! Great job!!! I’m so happy for you!

Can I just rant a little??? Well, actually, a lot. Hahaha.

I think everyone who has a horse they love can understand the protectiveness we feel toward them – right? And I know that not everyone loves my horses like I love them. I totally get that. But, I get upset sometimes with the BO where I have my horses. If you haven’t read other posts by me, I will be leaving there soon (scheduled to move them on Sunday – thank goodness the long wait is over) for a few reasons. Nothing terrible, but not the optimal situation. One issue is that over the last 9ish months turn-out time has been cut significantly. The horses used to go out in at least 8 hour shifts (sometimes more like 10 hours). That was excellent for my horses – especially Gabriel (coming 20 years old and just mentally hates being cooped up). Unfortunately, my horses are lucky to get out 3 or 4 hours anymore. This isn’t good for my baby horse, because she needs to stretch her legs and get her energy out. This isn’t good for my 10 yr old mare because she has a tendency toward colic, so she needs to move about. This isn’t good for my old guy because he simply gets grumpy and sour when kept inside that much.

This issue has been snowballing, which is probably the biggest reason I'm moving them. I’ve tried multiple times to request they go out more. First, I was told my 10 yr old mare looks longingly at the BO if she walks past the gate. So, she must hate being outside and BO feels horrible keeping them out longer. ??? As they were inside more, the baby horse was understandably getting a little hyper. I pointed this out and asked again to let them go out more. She said the baby horse runs around like a nut job, so she has stopped turning them out in footing that is even slightly wet or slippery for fear she'll break a leg (in other words, they’ve barely been outside the last couple of months AT ALL). If she’d let the horses out, the baby wouldn’t run around like a dork ‘cause she wouldn’t have so much pent up energy. This has escalated even more – when I went out there Saturday they weren’t turned out because it was windy. The footing was perfect, but BO was afraid they’d all run around like nuts and hurt themselves because the wind would spook them.

All along, I've been telling her this is not good mentally for Gabriel (the old guy). He is my heart horse, I got him from a rescue (he was nearly starved to death when they got him), he was the angel that put up with re-teaching me how to ride - I'm pretty protective of him and plan to give him the best life he can have for the rest of his days. Well, she complained to me a couple of weeks ago that Gabriel was trying to herd the other horses away from the gate, getting in their way and trotting around them when she's trying to bring them inside from turn-out. I explained this is because *he* doesn’t want to come in, but he also doesn’t want to be apart from his herd. She was worried it was kind of dangerous. I took the opportunity to say that if they were outside longer, he wouldn’t have a problem coming in. I’ve owned this horse for 8 years. I know how he thinks and how sour he can get if he’s kept inside too much. But he mellows right out when he gets outside for a good length of time. This explanation did nothing to change her opinion. She wanted to turn him out by himself, but I refused – he’s the type that would just work himself into a dripping sweat running the fence line if he was alone. Again, I said it’d be best for everyone if they were out more. She refused.

The other day, my fiancé was talking to BO over the phone because they are a family member of his, just chatting about various things. BO said to him during the convo that she’s concerned about me moving the horses. She said that Gabriel is becoming a very grumpy, sour, old man of a horse and she’s worried he’s going to hurt one of the other two. She doesn’t think they should be turned out together and he’s just going to continue to get more sour and dangerous (to the other horses) with age. …Uuumm – excuse me??? I don’t even know how many times I’ve explained to her that Gabriel needs turn-out. He hates to stay inside. How many times have I requested her to turn them out more, but in return, they’ve been turned out less and less. I hit the roof about this because my non-horsey fiancé then came to me, genuinely concerned that Gabriel was becoming dangerous and asking me not to turn him out with the other horses. OH MY GOD!!! This horse is a freakin’ SAINT! Yes, he needs turn-out. Yes, he’s king of the herd (alpha, but NOT AGGRESSIVE). But he is not, has never been, and will never be a dangerous horse.

I’m sorry – this rant is probably ridiculous, but this just struck the wrong nerve. I’m pretty livid, ‘cause this is my heart horse and she’s now telling other people; people who don’t know any better; that he’s a dangerous animal. If she wants to think that, that’s fine. But to me, this crossed a line. I am SO happy that I’m leaving there and that I’ll have my horses much closer to home, in a barn where they'll be turned out 10+ hours a day, in less than a week. I’m counting the minutes…
                                ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
                                4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

Comment

• ClassyRide, your rant is not ridiculous. I can totally understand where you're coming from. Then to have someone tell another that your horse is dangerous because of something they're actually doing...poo. Sorry you're going through that. And I am SO happy you are moving next weekend. Good for you and good for your horses. They need their turnout. It fixes so many ills. Good luck.

Is anyone totally snowed in???
                                  ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Okay, I had my third ride on Saturday. It was so nice out, I just enjoyed being out there and being able to get on my horse. My ankle feels a little better each ride. As a matter of fact, when I got off Saturday, it actually felt like my ankle had loosened up from riding! My husband took a short video of me (I was out videoing him riding, so had the camera there). I wanted to see what the ankle looked like. I had dropped my stirrups two holes, so actually my right foot was reaching for my stirrups a lot. So much so that my husband focused on the right ankle, which is my good ankle, and not as much on the left, or bad ankle. Anyway, I'll post it here because I feel safe. I wouldn't post this to the forum at large. I know it's not pretty. But I was just happy to ride! I do see, though, that I have gotten out of shape, big time. I think I gained 15 pounds since the whole ankle thing. Too much being imobile, and then I used that as an excuse to eat junk. Need to get back on track. Anyway, here is me and Chico: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU3BB-FzTsA He was so good just plodding along for me.

Have a great week, all!
                                    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• ClassyRide, I am glad to hear you're getting your horses out of that situation. I rather suspect your current BO will be just as happy to have you gone, but OTOH she's losing some $$$ by you taking your 3 horses away.

I've seen a couple of BOs get really weird about turnout. I think it's mostly because turning horses out and bringing them in is a chore. Current BO, luckily, is not one of those, although turn-out time is limited to 6 hours at most because of how the staff are scheduled... She even got most of the horses out on Saturday at the end of the blizzard for a couple of hours. The only time they aren't turned out is Thanksgiving and Christmas Day (though owners may come and T/O as long as they stick around to bring them back in), or if everything's a sheet of ice.

Comment

• ParadoxFarm, what an adorable horse, and he's clearly taking care of you (mine is the same, and for all that I complain, just that one characteristic is enough for me to keep her.) You look fine -- just like you haven't been riding much, which is obviously the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiger Horse View Post
                                          Quietann glad to hear you are a-ok! That was some storm.

Welcome to my world - I bought my guy because I wanted to pursue dressage. But, he so wants to be a hunter. He tries hard to do the dresage work, but there is no joy in it. Since I have made the switch - we are both having a blast! So, get your vest - I have one - and have fun.
                                          With mine, it's even worse... She used to be a low-level eventer, and she absolutely LOVED every minute of it. Dressage was much more tolerable for her when she knew the jumps would come soon. I never got to do eventing with her; we would have needed a lot more training, and then I had my accident a few months after I bought her.

But yes, time to get a vest already and get back to it, even if "it" is trotting 12 inch crossrails for the rest of our lives together. Pure dressage isn't where we belong; she is a true Morgan in her versatility.

Comment

Working...
                                          X